banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

I remember in one pre-alpha devblog Dean Hall went off in a tangent about being able to open and close the compass lid, as if the viewers were really supposed to be impressed by that and put aside the very slow and past due alpha launch. The direction the team took went backwards from ArmA, even though many thought it would be the foundation. For example firearm ballistics being improved with MAGPUL stocks and the AK-74 not being implemented because they decided that too many calibers would confuse casual players and make ammunition too rare (while ignoring the contradictory intent of having weapons and their accouterments be a commodity) despite already completing the textures for the weapon,accessories and ammunition. There are doubts to if the map itself will be expanded, and leads me to wonder what was being developed besides a small amount of in game items and enterable buildings. Personally I would love to see one of the ArmA 2 lead Devs take charge, as ArmA 2 was a great experience and the idea of a survival horror game using the ArmA playstyle is what enticed me to the dayz mod. Dean Hall may be a nice person, but his skills as a game development leader leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

They way you were responding to whoever's post you made it sound like the Dayz team has desperately tried to add things to the game because that's what players are demanding. I was saying that's not true. Most people want game to work right and could care less about new content. I know you guys are saying they are not supposed to fix the core yet in alpha and just add new content. But this engine is so bad, that adding things to it is a waste of time because they essentially have to start all over again in my opinion.

Not at all, i was responding directly to what he said. No more, no less.

If you go and have a read through all of THIS you will glean a whole plethora of info that shows what they are doing as a whole to the game, it isn't just about adding simple items to the game. Directx10 and 11, ongoing network optimisation, persistence, dynamic lighting, redesign of movement controls, navmesh, inventory/ui changes, camera clipping, mechanics design, weapon balancing, melee redesign, animations, horticulture, weather impact, centralised loot economy, private shard support and changes and then of course there is all of the artwork, models, new areas, crafting, animals etc etc.

Read THIS is well

• Like 5

What was the great idea? I seem to of missed it. All he did was put zombies in arma right?

No, he didn't put zombies in ArmA. He put a survival aspect into a post apocalytic event. That's the problem with you CoDers and BFers. All you see is loot and shoot.

• Like 4

Not at all, i was responding directly to what he said. No more, no less.

If you go and have a read through all of THIS you will glean a whole plethora of info that shows what they are doing as a whole to the game, it isn't just about adding simple items to the game. Directx10 and 11, ongoing network optimisation, persistence, dynamic lighting, redesign of movement controls, navmesh, inventory/ui changes, camera clipping, mechanics design, weapon balancing, melee redesign, animations, horticulture, weather impact, centralised loot economy, private shard support and changes and then of course there is all of the artwork, models, new areas, crafting, animals etc etc.

Read THIS is well

All of that important work you refer to is great. But when will any Dayz player ever see any of what you just mentioned? That is the question. They can say they are working on a Jessica Alba robot that looks and acts real that we can all purchase when it's finished. But until I actually see any of it working, or that it exists at all..... I ain't holding my breath and believing it will ever come to be in my lifetime. Edited by hothtimeblues

No, he didn't put zombies in ArmA. He put a survival aspect into a post apocalytic event. That's the problem with you CoDers and BFers. All you see is loot and shoot.

lol I've played arma, he didn't do anything special at all. Your embellishment is hilarious. 

Edited by sai
  • Like 1

This is spot on, because everyone knows that Shrub Rocketeer ™ is the protector of pigs!

and - spot on - we all know that banjo is the sacker of salad chefs!

so that's as highly accurate as any other comparison proposed in this thread

you know there are people on this thread who think that Bill Gates "worked for 25 or 30 years" before he bought a cheap and nasty OS ready-made, renamed it MS-DOS and sold IBM the right to use it on their PCs, at the age of 24 ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

lol I've played arma, he didn't do anything special at all. Your embellishment is hilarious. 

oh so there was eating and drinking in Arma? Illnesses? Melee? weather effects? What game were you playing?

Go back to your twitch shooters, will you.

• Like 1

Here's the bottom line - Rocket/Dean is to DayZ as Bill Gates is to Microsoft, as Steve Jobs is to Apple/Pixar, as Elon Musk is to Tesla/SpaceX. He's the face of it that everyone is most familiar with, from a community standpoint having him around as long as possible is good, regardless of what his hands on role is. The community doesn't really need to be up Bohemia's ass about how much coding Dean does or what Dean's role is from a direction or lead standpoint. it's been well discussed how there's been handoffs of many things as the team has grown and matured, and everyone expects that to continue.

Thus my opinion:

1. Rocket going sooner is ridiculous and obviously not preferable to him staying on as long as possible (in whatever role that is).
  2. A criticism - I would like to see Rocket visit the community (this one, the forums) again. Don't think he's logged in since March.
  3. A compliment - I do like that I see dev team members such as accolyte here engaging with the community regularly.
  • Like 8

How is that relevant in any possible way ?

Higher hours played only means one of two things.

You have alot of free time to play or you are a glutton for punishment.

Last I heard you only had about 100 hours played yet you have over 4100 posts on these forums. Way I see it is... how can you scrutinize, defend, or give your educated opinions on a product that you have hardly played?

If free time is your problem, spend less time on forums and fapping to pictures of guns.

As far as i am concerned Dean had an awesome idea and was able to make it function with a limited skill set. Whether he stays, leaves or whatever doesn't matter. He started a whole new genre.

Dayz will always be THE yardstick (or meter stick if in rest of world). Will there be better games? Probably. But none will capture the imagination like DayZ.

All hail Rocket!

• Like 2

This thread is just another echo chamber of a bunch of ignorant people spewing conjecture and opinions.

I am more inclined to side with the tolerant and patient folks who understand that Dean isn't going to completely detach himself from the project - He's just going back home. In the age of the internet where everyone has twitter, email, text messages, video conferencing, youtube, and all forms of other media to get work done and make announcements and plans there's no reason to believe what-so-ever that him returning to his family is going to stop him from being an active member (even leader) of the coding team. He can write code and transfer it to his associates... that's not difficult to do. He can video conference with them and have meetings on a daily basis if they need to.. Just because he's going back to his family doesn't mean he can't be involved.

As to his leadership - What the fuck do any of you know about his leadership potential? It's easy to sit back behind your computer and watch the development of a game that you play every day and criticize the "direction of development" because you aren't happy with being killed by a hacker, or hit by a glitchy zombie, or having your weapon disappear. Meanwhile the forest is growing around you and you can't see it through the trees. You sit here and throw insults and judgments at a man you've never met. You've never shook his hand. You've never looked him in the eyes. You don't know him - so don't judge him. Criticize the faults with the game, not the man behind it. It's his passion, I am sure he wants it to be amazing more than you could ever imagine.

Get your heads out of your asses.. You sound like a bunch of petulant children.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 17

This thread is just another echo chamber of a bunch of ignorant people spewing conjecture and opinions.

I am more inclined to side with the tolerant and patient folks who understand that Dean isn't going to completely detach himself from the project - He's just going back home. In the age of the internet where everyone has twitter, email, text messages, video conferencing, youtube, and all forms of other media to get work done and make announcements and plans there's no reason to believe what-so-ever that him returning to his family is going to stop him from being an active member (even leader) of the coding team. He can write code and transfer it to his associates... that's not difficult to do. He can video conference with them and have meetings on a daily basis if they need to.. Just because he's going back to his family doesn't mean he can't be involved.

As to his leadership - What the fuck do any of you know about his leadership potential? It's easy to shit back behind your computer and watch the development of a game that you play every day and criticize the "direction of development" because you aren't happy with being killed by a hacker, or hit by a glitchy zombie, or having your weapon disappear..Meanwhile the forest is growing around you and you can't see it through the trees.

Aha, nailed it right there!!

• Like 1

<< Directx10 and 11, ongoing network optimisation, persistence, dynamic lighting, redesign of movement controls, navmesh, inventory/ui changes, camera clipping, mechanics design, weapon balancing, melee redesign, animations, horticulture, weather impact, centralised loot economy, private shard support and changes and then of course there is all of the artwork, models, new areas, crafting, animals etc etc>>

All of that important work you refer to is great. But when will any Dayz player ever see any of what you just mentioned? That is the question.

..//..

lol

.. gasp

ok dude, you got my bafflement quotient at 100% now .. you doing good !

I've got an idea: Are you maybe one of those early question-and-answer reply-generation programmes they used to have on Amiga, like an AI but with no I ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

As to his leadership - What the fuck do any of you know about his leadership potential? It's easy to sit back behind your computer and watch the development of a game that you play every day and criticize the "direction of development" because you aren't happy with being killed by a hacker, or hit by a glitchy zombie, or having your weapon disappear. Meanwhile the forest is growing around you and you can't see it through the trees. You sit here and throw insults and judgments at a man you've never met. You've never shook his hand. You've never looked him in the eyes. You don't know him - so don't judge him. Criticize the faults with the game, not the man behind it. It's his passion, I am sure he wants it to be amazing more than you could ever imagine.

He may be a great person, and a great leader on the battlefield, or in a game of football. Sure. But we have every right to wonder if he is a great game development leader. Video games have very specific needs for development. One has to understand limitations, time-frames, marketing, who knows.....

Until I see a noticeable difference in the broken core of Dayz which is very much the same as it's been for over a year..... I whole-heartedly question if Dayz is on a correct and timely path. Is it not reasonable to believe that if the creator had sold his idea and turned it over to a more experienced development leader who could delegate where to put talents onto different problems...... etc..... would we perhaps have a further completed game today?

Edited by hothtimeblues

<< Directx10 and 11, ongoing network optimisation, persistence, dynamic lighting, redesign of movement controls, navmesh, inventory/ui changes, camera clipping, mechanics design, weapon balancing, melee redesign, animations, horticulture, weather impact, centralised loot economy, private shard support and changes and then of course there is all of the artwork, models, new areas, crafting, animals etc etc>>

lol

.. gasp

ok dude, you got my bafflement quotient at 100% now .. you doing good !

I've got an idea: Are you maybe one of those automatic question and answer text generation programmes they used to have on Amigas ?

I'm confused. Are you saying that any of the above mentioned fixes are working yet? And I mean the important ones. We still have ambient sounds, desync, clunky controls that are actually getting worse, oh, and guess what else.... more freaking hackers than I've ever seen in my life. So excuse me for not understanding how I'm supposed to believe the game has improved leaps and bounds. I guess I'm insane.

He may be a great person, and a great leader on the battlefield, or in a game of football. Sure. But we have every right to wonder if he is a great game development leader. Video games have very specific needs for development. One has to understand limitations, time-frames, marketing, who knows.....

Until I see a noticeable difference in the broken core of Dayz which is very much the same as it's been for over a year..... I whole-heartedly question if Dayz is on a correct and timely path. Is it not reasonable to believe that if the creator had sold his idea and turned it over to a more experienced development leader who could delegate where to put talents onto different problems...... etc..... would we perhaps have a further completed game today?

The job of a great leader is to hire, train, and listen to the advice of people who understand limitations, time-frames, marketing, and who knows.

As already stated by a mod on these forums - Dean is not the top dog. He is just the "lead" on a "project". He has people to answer to and his job is to translate his dream into a reality. BI saw the potential for the DayZ franchise and they wanted to enable Dean to make his vision come to life. He needs to be in charge CREATIVELY. He gives direction. He gives ideas. He gives suggestions. I'm sure the buck does not STOP at Dean. Because he is the CREATIVE lead does not mean he handles marketing.. in fact it would be insane for anyone to assume he should have to do both. To my knowledge he doesn't have a degree in marketing. I'm sure BI has their own marketing team.

And with that being said, this thread has run it's course because there's really nothing you can argue from there.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 3

I wouldn't make the him the head chef, but I might make him master of salads.

I don't know about you guys but I've seen huge leaps and bounds in development over the past few months. Before that we saw very little because the team was under-manned and disorganised. This is no longer the case and so we are now seeing progress. The devs have explained time and time again why some things are being worked on and others aren't, or why new items are being released but zombies can still glitch through walls, yet you all scream for all the modelers and animators to drop what they're doing and start coding. If you people read anything that the devs wrote about the development process then maybe you wouldn't whine so much.

But really, who the hell are you to say that Dean is 'no longer fit for purpose'? I didn't realise so many industry professionals frequented the DayZ forums and were able to interject their expert opinions.

• Like 4

True. I will say that with Navmesh being added to the game, even though it needs a lot of work....

I will agree that it is important progress. It's the first time I'm noticed they improved the gameplay mechanics.

I love DayZ. And I wish Dean and Bohemia success. I hope the completed game is epic and does well.

Edited by hothtimeblues

This is not the shareholder meeting of DayZ, i'm the only one thinking that discussing people's employment on a game forum is anything but tasteful?

• Like 6

It's called life. I'm sure with all the new found wealth someone can gladly put up with a little ciriticsm or questioning.

It's far greater of a diservice to the success of DayZ to not question or care.

It's called life. I'm sure with all the new found wealth someone can gladly put up with a little ciriticsm or questioning.

It's far greater of a diservice to the success of DayZ to not question or care.

You call "a little criticism" the swarm of entitled little twats creating topics after topics on how they are angry that the game doesn't go their way? But it's a good thing that they most likely read none of this filth otherwise they would have dropped the project a long time ago.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 4

Again. If you made a few million dollars from a very creative idea.... would you really be upset about people questioning how the development of your idea is being managed?

It's helpful to the dayz project if the team leaders get a little criticism.

Does your generation not allow criticism anymore? Is everyone getting a trophy no matter who wins or loses?

Good grief, he is a millionaire now. I don't think he is sobbing because we are asking if the project could be better led.

• Like 1

Again. If you made a few million dollars from a very creative idea.... would you really be upset about people questioning how the development of your idea is being managed?

It's helpful to the dayz project if the team leaders get a little criticism.

Does your generation not allow criticism anymore? Is everyone getting a trophy no matter who wins or loses?

Good grief, he is a millionaire now. I don't think he is sobbing because we are asking if the project could be better led.

That's not how companies work.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1