Sign in to follow this  
stielhandgranate

Has dayZ succeeded in being a different type of game?

With the consistent issues of coding zombies to the point where they are irreverent but the rising popularity of this game, has dayz succeeded as a world without law/anarchy simulator rather than a zombie survival game? As it stands the game is several groups of people picking fights with each other and loners trying to keep out of it or scavenge while avoiding others. Much of the gameplay and experience is like the movie/book The Road, rather than a zombie game/movie/comic. I'm not trying to put down the path the game has taken, but rather point out how interesting the game evolved into.

I think it could be something great down the road at some point.  Right now, there is a lack of things to do, so it might not appeal to everyone.  I like the survival aspect, but it's really not difficult staying alive and healthy.  The only exciting aspect right now is getting into firefights with other players.

My personal suggestions to make this game feel more deep, is to add vehicles and base-building.  I really does feel like a hiking simulator sometimes.

Imo, eventually this game will be a fantastic survival game. Yes, right now there's a lot of PvP, and I think that's accountable to lack of content. That issue is being addressed steadily as right now they are figuring out loot spawning, optimizations etc... Based off how much content they have put in in alpha stage, one can only wonder how much will be in at the games actual release!

I don't think they are takin the game in a different path, their just still building the game and it won't be how it is now.

1.has dayz succeeded as a world without law/anarchy simulator

2.rather than a zombie survival game

1, That sure as hell is not what i bought the game for. While the elements can be argued as needed by some I don't want it saturating the game 90% of the time.

2. This is what some of us can hope for and im sorry guys if you want nothing more than a KOS/PVP simulator there are better games dedicated to it. One of the MAIN reasons i regret buying Rust when it turned into something completely different.

• Like 1

It's a bit like walking dead season 3. We've learned that zombies are essentially irrelevant, but are still annoying and necessary to put down. As such, the "survival" comes from surviving the mysteries of strangers and their intent.

The presence of zombies is a fact. If it were to be entirely focused on them, we'd have thousands running around, and I believe the devs have said this won't necessarily be the case.

Edited by doctajones

It's a bit like walking dead season 3. We've learned that zombies are essentially irrelevant, but are still annoying and necessary to put down. As such, the "survival" comes from surviving the mysteries of strangers and their intent.

The presence of zombies is a fact. If it were to be entirely focused on them, we'd have thousands running around, and I believe the devs have said this won't necessarily be the case.

While I agree the fact remains is the infected are nothing more than a mere nuisance.  They don't provide an extra challenge, players can still run around unopposed collecting gear in this gear collecting game.  If the devs do not step it up with the infected, that's all this game is going to be.  A gear hunting game with pvp

• Like 1

Currently it is just Arma 2 wth zombies.

Eventually with more features and an increase difficulty hopefully it evolves into its own beast.

You can steal people's blood and kill them by forcefeeding them rotten bananas. That's all I ever needed to know.

Like every single MMO out there, the pve challenge will only last until you learn how to deal with it. Avoiding death from the elements will only last so long. Once you figure out how to not die from zombies/disease it will only come down to whether or not a player will kill you.

• Like 1

Like every single MMO out there, the pve challenge will only last until you learn how to deal with it. Avoiding death from the elements will only last so long. Once you figure out how to not die from zombies/disease it will only come down to whether or not a player will kill you.

Yes and no. I think there will eventually be necessary trade-offs and room in the game for different playstyles. Someone kitted out for urban warfare may find that they are ill-equipped staying in the wild longer than it takes to get from town to town. There's also inherently a random element to well, the elements. Which is to say staying alive on a beautiful sunny day is significantly easier than staying alive on a rainy, freezing one. Gear might help with this, a raincoat and wellies may be far more important at times than a tactical shirt and camo pants. So maybe if you're more of an outdoors focused character you use inventory room to carry weather-specific kit instead of another weapon or canned food (your trusty fishing rod satisfies that need). The zombies, I think you're right, will never be the primary threat but that doesn't mean that they will be no threat at all. The same goes for the environment. I feel sometimes this conversation gets distracted by the idea that the game must be all of one and not a little bit of everything, which really, is what a sandbox should be. You enable all sorts of play and let people go at it.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

I think it could be something great down the road at some point.  Right now, there is a lack of things to do, so it might not appeal to everyone.  I like the survival aspect, but it's really not difficult staying alive and healthy.  The only exciting aspect right now is getting into firefights with other players.

My personal suggestions to make this game feel more deep, is to add vehicles and base-building.  I really does feel like a hiking simulator sometimes.

When the loot gets rare... And you get hungry... You will know survival.

Until then carry on and have fun with a significantly smaller setback in teh event of your demise! 

Until then carry on and have fun with a significantly smaller setback in teh event of your demise! 

When I first started playing, I didn't know about servers with 2h resets.  I joined a few servers, and I swear all I could find was rotten kiwis.  My first week of dayz was spent running around starving to death.

Now my character is obese.

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of confidence the loot will ever get rare. I have a suspicion it might decrease 50% max, which will still be plenty. I hope for awesome hunting, survival and zombie mechanics, but I just haven't seen enough development in those critical areas to assume it will still happen.

I don't have a lot of confidence the loot will ever get rare. I have a suspicion it might decrease 50% max, which will still be plenty. I hope for awesome hunting, survival and zombie mechanics, but I just haven't seen enough development in those critical areas to assume it will still happen.

It isn't that all loot needs to be rare: what needs to happen is that the balance is shifted so that food and ammo are rare, and the loot tables are filled up with "stuff" instead - stuff like crafting materials and tools. Abandoned towns, farms, industrial sites and military facilities would be chock-full of junk - immediately-useful things would be rare, but things that you can modify to make useful would be all over the place. Crafting needs a big kick up the backside.

As for hunting and zombies, there is apparently a whole studio of people working on this - we'll get to see the fruits of their work in the coming months, I'd guess. Updates have increased in frequency quite a lot since about July.

You either have faith in the dev team, or you don't.

Ask me again when the game's complete.

This is one of the true illusions (that I myself fall prey to a lot) of DayZ.

Because it's been out so long (i.e. the mod since April of 2012) we think we know what DayZ is/should be/will be. It's deceptive, because we play it all of the time. We get into very rigid schools of thought about what it should be, based upon something that's incomplete.

But we don't know what DayZ is, because we've never had a complete anything to judge it by. Even the two-year-old mod is still an alpha, with many flaws in execution... technical shortcomings... exploits... and bugs.

Which is why it frustrates me to no end when people say "Zombies weren't a threat in the mod, player interaction is what DayZ is all about, so therefore... zombies will always suck." Okay, cool. The zombies were, and are, broken. So how do you know what significance they're supposed to have on the experience? Answer, we don't.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

it frustrates me to no end when people say "Zombies weren't a threat in the mod, player interaction is what DayZ is all about, so therefore... zombies will always suck." Okay, cool. The zombies were, and are, broken. So how do you know what significance they're supposed to have on the experience? Answer, we don't.

The fact that zombies are in DayZ means that they will not always "suck". They will be significant, because DayZ is advertised as a zombie-apocalypse game. It's fully funded now, backed by a major publisher, getting a lot of press exposure. Whatever the mod was and continues to turn into does not particularly matter in terms of the Standalone - as you say.

But if BI finish the game (and we have to assume that they will, especially given the PS4 announcement), then zombies will necessarily become a major factor in the gameplay - otherwise the project and the studio will be seen to have failed to produce what they promised.

I hope this is the case, I have ran into more 30 round mags then I can count. I do have an AK only until I can find a Mosin. I like to play as more of an outdoorsmen then a shot 'em up army sim.

I hope this is the case, I have ran into more 30 round mags then I can count. I do have an AK only until I can find a Mosin. I like to play as more of an outdoorsmen then a shot 'em up army sim.

If you had a PSO1 scope for that and the other attachments you would not have to worry about a Mosin. You can go up to 1000 with the scope.

Edited by Deathlove

Sometimes with the way the Zombies are in the game, I wish they had poured all their effort into making 'Wasteland Standalone' instead. If the zombies were plentiful and fun then sure i'd rather DayZ but currently...?

It's really too early to judge if DayZ is successful at being anything right now. This will be a good thread come beta or release.

• Like 2

Most of the 100% pvp players are duping to pvp

So ATM it's not  "a gear hunting game with pvp"  it's just - dupe and pvp

If there was no duping in the game, the pvp would be very different because there would be real loss for the pvp player

That would make DayZ different from any other pvp game for a start

But it is not

Players who want to nonstop pvp, is fine.. it would be more exciting for them if they had to find weapons first, each time

But at the moment duping is just what you do when you log in before you go to pvp

This makes the game pointless for everybody, in my view

Especially for the hard pvp players, the whole game lasts 10 minutes from start to finish, then dupe with the other kids and do it again

At present pvp players do NOT search for weapons before pvp

Duping is even easier than loot farming

Stop the dupe addicts

Edited by pilgrim

i too would like to see zombies become more than a nuisance / tshirt destroyers.

problem is if you overpower them, or drastically increase the numbers... you will need to spawn more weapons/ammo unless you provide players with some other type of defense (ie barricading houses, or not letting zombies glitch thru closed doors)

It's really too early to judge if DayZ is successful at being anything right now. This will be a good thread come beta or release.

oh so you mean never ?

I agree with caboose, this would be a great topic closer to release, right now we are around 40% into the build time estimate....too early to judge it really.