Sign in to follow this  
LeeVanSpliff

Character just reset

Hello people

My character was just reset. This post isn't to whine about it - was looking forward to dying and trying the new loot system anyway. It's more that I'm kinda curious what caused it and need a bit more info.

Anyhow, this is what happened: I was on a server that I frequently play on. Server gave a five minute warning. Server gave 1 minute warning. I exit the house I'm in, and drop four beers on the ground (couldn't really figure out if the persistence was working, so I figured I'd just test it). I might've cut the one minute a little close. My friend is on the same server (in a different part of the map) and quits too. Wasn't much time left, so I doubt a zombie or sniper killed me in the last few seconds.

We wait for a few and then see the server back up. The time was adjusted (at first server list refresh it said 8:00, but at the second it said 14:00) and there was 6/40 players on the server. We both join, get a "waiting for host", then a "please wait". When we load in, we're both fresh spawns without any loot.

I remembered this thing from a fair number of patches back, about this particular message that meant you'd have to disconnect or lose your character. Does that still apply and if so, what was the message you'd have to look out for?

Anyone know if all the 6 players have lost their loot? I know people on the server did have inventory - because within 2 minutes of spawning fresh, some guy with an automatic decorates me with five new bullet holes (discounting exit wounds).

Since we both quit at the last minute (my friend was trying to finish cooking some steaks) I sort of have  feeling this might have to do with quitting when the server is resetting. Anyone know or have a qualified guess as to whether or not that's possible?

And finally: has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Thanks Yaddie for bug tracker link. (closed, was duplicate)

Edit2: Oh, appears it was reported multiple times: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=78

Edited by LeeVanSpliff

Did you try to relog? Sometimes when new builds are rolled out you will hop into a server with a new character but it's usually resolved by relogging and your character will come back like normal. Happens to me and other friends sometimes with fresh new version builds. However the fact you got killed on your fresh spawn character it might of meesed up your chances to get your old character back. I've never died that way to verify because I always relog to fix the issue as soon as it happens.

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 2

The only for sure way that you know your character is about to be screwed (wiped) is when you see the warning in red saying they can't find your character, so always hit escape as fast as possible if you see that warning. But, there are other times that we get character wipes without that warning.

But that's freaking ironic that the first time you test loot persistance by leaving beers on the ground, they wipe your character.

God damn that is freaking ironic, the damn beers are still there but our characters are completely wiped? Go to love Dayz man. Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

Looool something is definitely wrong! I logged back in (same server) and found my character bare-assed and without shoes! Can't turn my back for a second! Guess I shouldn't have let a low-on-blood character slam a rasputin ....

I had "pain in my leg" thing going after that guy shot me - that might have something to do with the pants but since the shoes were also gone I think it's more because I looted both, say, ten minutes before logging out.

Thanks for the feeback guys, trying to re-log again (found new pants and shoes, want to see if they're gone too) and then maybe post a picture of my bare-assed failure.

I know the server message of which you speak , it will tell you in the lower left corner in Red , that the server is no connected to the main hive and you can lose your character and that you should disconnect immediately or risk losing it all ,, run into that a few times , soon as you see it , esc your way out and back to the server menu , sorry that happened mate , total bummer

• Like 1

I know the server message of which you speak , it will tell you in the lower left corner in Red , that the server is no connected to the main hive and you can lose your character and that you should disconnect immediately or risk losing it all ,, run into that a few times , soon as you see it , esc your way out and back to the server menu , sorry that happened mate , total bummer

Yeah thanks, but I doubt it was that though. I didn't see any red message, and neither did my friend (could've overlooked it of course, but we were waiting to spawn and staring at the screen). Anyhow never paid much attention to it (never saw it, so I couldn't remember what to look for).

Anyhow, also given the pants situation I guess it's something more sinister at work. Been at green mountain at midnight recently, so I guess i had it coming.

Edit: nothing missing when I relogged again.

Edited by LeeVanSpliff
  • Like 1

had the same thing, thought it was cause I joined a server with persistence enabled, exited and joined another server same thing, 3rd server I joined my character was back, then after a few minutes I got no message received..

• Like 1

had the same thing, thought it was cause I joined a server with persistence enabled, exited and joined another server same thing, 3rd server I joined my character was back, then after a few minutes I got no message received..

Same here. I joined a server and played fine. Quit after a while, then when I joined a different server with persistence on, my character is wiped. I re log back to the first server and character is still wiped. Guess I'll be roaming the coast...

• Like 1

Same. Well geared player gone. Freshy after my first spawn into build .48

• Like 1

Same here. I joined a server and played fine. Quit after a while, then when I joined a different server with persistence on, my character is wiped. I re log back to the first server and character is still wiped. Guess I'll be roaming the coast...

you might be ok, I joined a persistent server a little later and my character was fine..

• Like 1

After a lot of testing into this problem, we've discovered a possible solution.

Try signing out and signing back into steam. One of our group tried it, and he had his character back. He was offline to his friends before the character wipe, so when he signed back in he had his character again.

I'll post back here the next time it happens.

• Like 1

hey guys

ive had this problem quite a bit, and so have plenty of people i play with

without dying (ie running as a group and server goes down) and some relog to same server and they were a fresh spawn

i myself had a character, joined my clans server ive played on loads and i was a fresh spawn despite logging off last time with loads of loot. exitted straight away, tried another server, was a fresh spawn again but this time in a different spawn spot, tried another server and suddenly i got my character back

play for a bit, try logging to a diff server and back to fresh spawn, play on my clan server and i got my character back

the entire time i was on steam, and it was always third person (i have a hardcore character and i didnt login with him) and none of the servers mentioned private hives, and i certainly got no message about being unable to connect to the public hive to get my characters stuff

must be some kind of bug or glitch :\

• Like 1

Yeah, just happened to our whole crew again....

We were all on steam, and there was no amount of tinkering that could fix this. This time it was on a first person server. This sounds like a very important thing to fix, our group has decided not to play until this is resolved.

I really hope they can do that soon.

EDIT: Here's a link to the problem in the DayZ tracker. Vote it up to make it known.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15588

Edited by Yaddie
  • Like 1

happened to me last night ,,, server reset , we all logged back in ,, 2 of us had our characters wiped , 1 was fine , 1 lost everything in his backpack .... mega frustrating

• Like 1

Our group is seeing this as well.  Missing items that should be in the gear, and random character reset's on server restart.  Twice today for me respawning after server restarts.

-north

• Like 1

That's a pity. Seems it's getting kinda frequent btw, haven't seen this many reports on it at once before.

I linked the primary report on it in the first post, please upvote.

Seems it's been around for a while (id is 0000078 hehehe), but that it's grown some new features lately - didn't see a message and there's the maybe-related missing items.

Did anyone who had this is 0.48 actually saw a no-connection-to-main-hive message?

Twice today on exp. I almost got reset but managed to exit and relog :cool:

Twice today on exp. I almost got reset but managed to exit and relog B)

Nice! Did you see a message or did you quit quickly when you found out you were a fresh spawn?

Nice! Did you see a message or did you quit quickly when you found out you were a fresh spawn?

The first time I didn't see the message but saw I was a fresh spawn and quit. What alerted me was no hot bar, sound of sea (i should've been inland) and then being on the beach! Second time I noticed the message and quit.

Also my char got reset one of the times joining the same server I had just left i.e. was playing on DayZ UK 0-09 (Experimental/Testing) got "session lost", refreshed server list saw 09 tried to rejoin, was freshie.

Edited by freethink

The first time I didn't see the message but saw I was a fresh spawn and quit. What alerted me was no hot bar, sound of sea (i should've been inland) and then being on the beach! Second time I noticed the message and quit.

Also my char got reset one of the times joining the same server I had just left i.e. was playing on DayZ UK 0-09 (Experimental/Testing) got "session lost", refreshed server list saw 09 tried to rejoin, was freshie.

Thanks, good info that.

It seems like this happens most frequently after a server restart.

A player looses connection due to a server restart. He then rejoins the server, only to find he's a fresh spawn.

Another forum poster says if you join a different server before jumping back to the restarted one, your character will not be reset. I haven't tested this yet, but probably will soon.