Sign in to follow this  
octarine

Where have you found larger backpacks?

I'm not a military loot hoarder and I'm not. Koser so I avoid military bases where else have you found mountain or hunting backpacks? Dayzdb says they spawn at wrecked trucks but I've Never found anything at one other than a ruined helmet once. The jeeps seems to spawn more. Any tips on where else to look would be appreciated.

Mtn packs used to spawn at train stations. Dunno if this was changed because I haven't seen them there.

I remember times when it could be found anywhere, for now idk, i don't play a lot, but try to visit police station's (not the yellow type) at town's above chernogorsk, like same buildings which one on airfield, but in city

I'm not a military loot hoarder and I'm not. Koser so I avoid military bases where else have you found mountain or hunting backpacks? Dayzdb says they spawn at wrecked trucks but I've Never found anything at one other than a ruined helmet once. The jeeps seems to spawn more. Any tips on where else to look would be appreciated.

I think atm you only find them at military installations. But I prefer the crafted leather improvised backpack, only 4 slots less than the mountain pack and much thinner profile. (you need: sticks, rope, boar skin).

• Like 2

Whats funny? I prefer moto helmets to mil helmets. cargo pants to TTsK. I'll take a UK vest but only because there isn't a civ version.

I usually play with only melee weapons. In this regard the Devs have FUCKED me and made the game extremely frustrating. I've played Dayz since June 2012 and have never killed another player. I don't care how you play your game, don't tell me how to play mine, ok?

Thanks for the crafting info! I haven't tried that mainly because Ive looted the entire North of the map and not found a single hunting knife with which to skin a boar.

Edited by Octarine

I think atm you only find them at military installations. But I prefer the crafted leather improvised backpack, only 4 slots less than the mountain pack and much thinner profile. (you need: sticks, rope, boar skin).

It has quite a bit less space than mountain backpacks, but i prefer them as well. Its 10 spaces in fact

It has quite a bit less space than mountain backpacks, but i prefer them as well. Its 10 spaces in fact

No I don't think so, actually I think the mountainpack is 6x5 and the leather improvised 5x5 and improvised with burlap sack is 4x5 (but I'd have to check to be sure).

BTW, you can use any knife to skin a boar, like kitchen knife and machete and IIRC even a bayonet.

OK here's my dilemma, I can usually find 2 of the 3 components needed to make the improvised backpack, burlap/boar skin and sticks but never all 3 at the same time. Rope seems to be scarce when I need it the most, am I looking in the wrong places? I've checked stores, sheds and barns but do I try to avoid big cities if its possible. Does burlap still work for courier bags and improvised backpacks? Will someone please enlighten me on where i can acquire some rope

OK here's my dilemma, I can usually find 2 of the 3 components needed to make the improvised backpack, burlap/boar skin and sticks but never all 3 at the same time. Rope seems to be scarce when I need it the most, am I looking in the wrong places? I've checked stores, sheds and barns but do I try to avoid big cities if its possible. Does burlap still work for courier bags and improvised backpacks? Will someone please enlighten me on where i can acquire some rope

Yes, burlap will still make a courier bag. I find rope at the places you mention but mostly in garage boxes which, unfortunately, are usually found in bigger towns. I once suggested in the suggestions topic that we should be able to craft cordage from rags and other sources like bark. Rope indeed is scarce these days. I usually first try to find rope before I attempt to make an improvised backpack because sticks are easy and burlap sacks seem to be easy to find too and you will usually find a knife or machete somewhere., Boars are easy if you know the areas they are common.

• Like 1

Mountain backpacks spawn in military, as well as industrial locations.  The large white metal hangars with blue doors seems to have them pop up now and then, these also tend to spawn vests.

Whats funny? I prefer moto helmets to mil helmets. cargo pants to TTsK. I'll take a UK vest but only because there isn't a civ version.

I usually play with only melee weapons. In this regard the Devs have FUCKED me and made the game extremely frustrating. I've played Dayz since June 2012 and have never killed another player. I don't care how you play your game, don't tell me how to play mine, ok?

Thanks for the crafting info! I haven't tried that mainly because Ive looted the entire North of the map and not found a single hunting knife with which to skin a boar.

Kitchen knife and machetes can be found around towns/cities, both can be used to skin an animal. For the type of backpack you're looking for, I've only ever found them in the military bases.

Edited by RagedDrew

I used to find mountain packs all over but seem to only find them at military spawns now.

..//..

Ive looted the entire North of the map and not found a single hunting knife with which to skin a boar.

The machete also works for skinning.

But all bayonets don't work.

Kitchen knife is what I use for skinning until I eventually find a combat knife I can throw in my military boots.

I have found a hunters ruck, once, at wrecked trucks but that was in a tent city.  I have found Hunters rucks in the large warehouse but that's, maybe, three times in over 800 hours of play.  The mountain rucks I have found at building sites with the large cranes, but I haven't seen one in any of those, lately. 

Melee is much better in .48.

The machete also works for skinning.

But all bayonets don't work.

True dat!  Can't use the one that goes on the Mosin (M98?) for skinning.

The mountain rucks I have found at building sites with the large cranes, but I haven't seen one in any of those, lately. 

I believe they drastically reduced the spawns at these buildings for the mountain packs a few patches ago.

• Like 1

I believe they drastically reduced the spawns at these buildings for the mountain packs a few patches ago.

Yeah, you are most likely right, I have been avoiding those places lately since there ain't much there nowadays and there is usually a few more zeds than are worth the trouble.

Edited by Barnabus

I've found mountain backpacks in those isolated wooden sheds with the ramps going up to the entrance (what are they supposed to be, feed stores or something?) while searching,unsuccessfully, for tents.

True dat!  Can't use the one that goes on the Mosin (M98?) for skinning.

Thats the one that shouldn't work anyways because its basically just a long spike. But at least the M9A1 bayonet should get the skinning option.

I found both Mountain Backpacks and Hunting Backpacks in military locations (on full servers with nobody around but hordes of zombies :lol: ).

• Like 1