Sign in to follow this  
trev186

A Real Hardcore Mode wishlist

Hi,

So on the current exp build .48 the “Hardcore” mode has been changed to “First Person” and Regular has been changed to “Third Person”.

I am hoping this change means that in the future there will be a real Hardcore mode which will do more than just put you in FPS only. Below are some features I would like to see in Hardcore to make the game more noticeable:

1.       No way to view player names online & possibly no way to view how many players are online in game.

a.       Not knowing if a server is empty or not would be good but it has it’s downsides

b.      At least make it so there is no “Oh player x is online so therefore I think he will camp here” Or “Oh that clan is in game I better avoid Berezino” by hiding the names of players online from all but the admin

2.       No White dot in the center of the screen

a.       This would make aiming without right clicking more difficult

3.       Make it so that all items aside from those which promise “Ballistic Protection” do not reduce damage done to you

4.       If/when a stamina system is added make it so that you tire out quicker than regular

5.       Less food and safe water sources

6.       Bring back the ultra-dark nights!

7.       Server must run a full 24 hour cycle

a.       Allow restarts but have the server restart at the time the time of day it was when the server went down

8.       Make adjusting the range on the weapon/scope require the player to actually adjust the sites

a.       Take more time

b.      Possibly have an animation

c.       Nothing in the corner telling you the perfect range (you need to actually look at the range settings on the weapon)

9.       Allow for both Third person and First person Hard modes

a.       Potentially  4 different characters on the central hive for all 4 modes

10.   Lock the FOV and Gamma/Brightness settings to server settings

What do you guys think of the above or would you like to see ?

• Like 2

Good post, good suggestions. I like the forced 24h cycle and the no white dot in particular.

a. Not knowing if a server is empty or not would be good but it has it’s downsides

Imo the downsides outweigh the upsides here, as an evening on an empty server is wasted imo. It's supposed to make sure people can't join a low pop server and loot like crazy, but since I almost always play on 30+ player servers it would reduce my risk and make my hardcore server easier.

I'm not crazy about the 3p hardcore idea either, imo it goes against the whole concept of hardcore.

• Like 2

Imo the downsides outweigh the upsides here, as an evening on an empty server is wasted imo. It's supposed to make sure people can't join a low pop server and loot like crazy, but since I almost always play on 30+ player servers it would reduce my risk and make my hardcore server easier.

I agree with this opinion.

Good post, good suggestions. I like the forced 24h cycle and the no white dot in particular.Imo the downsides outweigh the upsides here, as an evening on an empty server is wasted imo. It's supposed to make sure people can't join a low pop server and loot like crazy, but since I almost always play on 30+ player servers it would reduce my risk and make my hardcore server easier.I'm not crazy about the 3p hardcore idea either, imo it goes against the whole concept of hardcore.

My thoughts on it would be that you can see the number of players on a server when joining but u dont know as time goes by.

This would make it so u could never say "this server is empty so I am safe"

But right no one wants to find they are playing on an empty server on accident.

As for hardcore for 3rd person I think it is worth it to give the option to he player. A lot of dayz players like 3rd person mode for a variety of reasons. Just cause some prefer FPS only should not rob them of the exp of HC in third person. Plus this opens up 4 possible characters to enjoy dayz on vs the normal 2 right now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

I would like to keep the basic game mechanics (damage, stamina, hunger, thirst etc.) the same as in regular as well as keeping environment interactions (zombies behavior, health and damage, trees, vehicles) in the same way but make certain aspects more difficult. Basically a harsher world that still follows the same natural laws.

• base mechanics unchanged
  • weapon properties unchanged
  • player and NPC properties unchanged
  • vehicle properties unchanged

So features related to the above should be implemented in regular as well. BUT:

• overall loot rarity increased
  • certain actions might take more time (like fishing, giving/taking blood etc.)
  • less luxury features (e.g. seeing player names)
  • more zombies
  • less wild animals
  • less wells
  • less vehicles
  • only choosing a hive/shard to join and then getting assigned a server based on player count (exception: joining after/with friends)
  • maybe 24 hour cycles
  • less forgiving weather
  • in case of added plague sources" (like mosquitoes) they might be more common
  • maybe randomized professions/talents restricting what a single player can do
  • randomized character appearance including height (choose gender only)
  • maybe a small chance of spawning with a random drawback (limp leg, heart condition etc.)
  • a huge penalty for biting the dust (compared to a significant but still lighter one in regular)
  • having to wash yourself frequently to avoid sickness
  • a chance of tripping when sprinting down (very) steep hills

In short: It mostly plays like regular but is less forgiving and not fair at all.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

So, from what i know the only difference from hardcore and normal is that Hardcore has 1st person only and normal has an optional 1st and 3rd person. Is the game actually harder in hardcore? possibly less loot, zombies hit harder, hunger and thirst go by faster?

It's fine with Regular having 3PP and 1PP modes, but don't bring the 3PP option to the Hardcore mode if it's ever implemented.

1.) Being able to see the number of players online is very important. At this stage in development, ghosting and server hopping is common as hell. When a player joins a game their name goes to the bottom of the player list. If I see "uberhax420" is above me and then I shoot at someone and then see that "uberhax420" is below my name on the server list, there's a good bet that he's ghosted and is now behind me. Having information like this is valuable.

I like knowing how many players are on a server, because then I know if it's worth playing or not. If I'm the only person on a server, what's the point in playing? 

2.) The white dot provides a frame of reference for picking items up. Having no crosshair at all, especially in first person, can be mildly disorientating.

3.) Clothing such as leather jackets should provide protection against low-velocity projectiles and melee weapons.

4.) Without knowing how the stamina system will work it's pointless to make points like this. If in regular you can sprint for 5 seconds, does that mean in hardcore you should only be able to sprint for 2? Why are people less healthy in hardcore?

5.) Again, without knowing how food and water will be distributed (given that it's well known that resources are currently abundant since alpher) it's pointless to discuss the topic. However, if we're basing it on current levels, then yes, food should absolutely be rarer.

6.) Why? 

7.) Why? Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of spending an entire game session in pitch darkness? Accelerated time means I at least get to see dawn.

8.) I've not had much experience with guns, but as I recall adjusting range on a sight is pretty easy. It isn't necessary to do a little dance or recite the alphabet backwards every time you adjust a scope. Checking how far you're ranged in is an interesting idea, though.

9.) Make the game harder and more realistic, but make it so a drone is always hovering a few meters behind every player, and the player can see what the drone can see. Right. Well, provided there are still first person hardcore servers, why not.

10.) And force players to have an FOV that is either too wide or too narrow for them to play comfortably? Totalbiscuit would be ashamed. I crank my brightness to full because that's the only way I can see anything in broad freaking daylight. Gamma, however, I can agree with. Mostly.

• Like 1

1.) Being able to see the number of players online is very important. At this stage in development, ghosting and server hopping is common as hell. When a player joins a game their name goes to the bottom of the player list. If I see "uberhax420" is above me and then I shoot at someone and then see that "uberhax420" is below my name on the server list, there's a good bet that he's ghosted and is now behind me. Having information like this is valuable.

I like knowing how many players are on a server, because then I know if it's worth playing or not. If I'm the only person on a server, what's the point in playing?

2.) The white dot provides a frame of reference for picking items up. Having no crosshair at all, especially in first person, can be mildly disorientating.

3.) Clothing such as leather jackets should provide protection against low-velocity projectiles and melee weapons.

4.) Without knowing how the stamina system will work it's pointless to make points like this. If in regular you can sprint for 5 seconds, does that mean in hardcore you should only be able to sprint for 2? Why are people less healthy in hardcore?

5.) Again, without knowing how food and water will be distributed (given that it's well known that resources are currently abundant since alpher) it's pointless to discuss the topic. However, if we're basing it on current levels, then yes, food should absolutely be rarer.

6.) Why?

7.) Why? Am I the only person who doesn't like the idea of spending an entire game session in pitch darkness? Accelerated time means I at least get to see dawn.

8.) I've not had much experience with guns, but as I recall adjusting range on a sight is pretty easy. It isn't necessary to do a little dance or recite the alphabet backwards every time you adjust a scope. Checking how far you're ranged in is an interesting idea, though.

9.) Make the game harder and more realistic, but make it so a drone is always hovering a few meters behind every player, and the player can see what the drone can see. Right. Well, provided there are still first person hardcore servers, why not.

10.) And force players to have an FOV that is either too wide or too narrow for them to play comfortably? Totalbiscuit would be ashamed. I crank my brightness to full because that's the only way I can see anything in broad freaking daylight. Gamma, however, I can agree with. Mostly.

Well I bring up most of this cause in my exp in HC modes the gui is on of the main things being removed to aid in HC.

1. The point is u shouldn't be able to know who is online and if they are ghosting or not cause it takes away from immersion...sure people cheating does too but it shouldn't be reason to damage HC mode to try and account for exploiters and hackers....

2.the devs could improve how we can see and interact with items. The fact of having a white dot however aids in combat quite a bit as well and can be a crutch. Remove it for HC to focus less on spray and pray and more on precision

3.I agree to an extent but many items should povide next to 0 ballistic protection for even the 22. Open for interpretation for sure.

4.agree I dont know how it will work but again in other fps hc mode u can sprint last then u can in non HC. The idea is to make it harder to run from battles.

5.I think irregardless HC should keep u on ur toes more about starving or dying of thirst more often.

6.because the current nights are way easy to see in and are a joke

7.u always have the option of changing servers. It is a survival game...can u call urself a survivor if u cant make it through the night ?

8. It is easy but the page up and page down thing is too easy. In a combat situation players should not be able to adjust the range as easy as u can in dayz.

9. Lets face it majority of plyers like 3rd person cause they like to we their character. No sense catering only to the niche

10. Many other games dont let u adjust FOV and people get by. Also the brightness and gamma increases give players an advantage over others. Esp at night. We shouldn't be entitled to make things easier to see all the tim in HC. In real life u cant just make ur eyes brighter.

Edited by trev186

10.   Lock the FOV and Gamma/Brightness settings to server settings

My fav one

• Like 1

Go ahead, make a server with long nights and enforced gama.... and then watch it only ever have 5 players on it max. The truth is people dont like playing that shit

other ways to make the game "hardcore" can be interesting but really all the things listed should just be in the base game. If its a survival game whose design ethos is based on realism why would one game-mode have different stamina/hunger/thirst settings? Why would one mode have less complexity with regards to weaponry? 

I think the game itself needs more balance with regards to realism but Its fine for HC mode to be basically the same thing just without the gameplay crutches of regular, ie: Crosshair, 3rd Person, Location on map

Edited by Shagohad
  • Like 1

2.       No White dot in the center of the screen

3.       Make it so that all items aside from those which promise “Ballistic Protection” do not reduce damage done to you

6.       Bring back the ultra-dark nights!

2. The developers have said that they plan on removing it entirely.

3. Why? What's so "hardcore" about bullet-resistant gear not working at all? EDIT - Read that wrong, sorry!

6. No. The nights were unplayable. It's not a matter of being more "unforgiving," when they were just poorly done in the first place. Not saying what we have now is the best thing ever, but the nights that we had before were atrocious.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

2. The developers have said that they plan on removing it entirely.

3. Why? What's so "hardcore" about bullet-resistant gear not working at all? EDIT - Read that wrong, sorry!

6. No. The nights were unplayable. It's not a matter of being more "unforgiving," when they were just poorly done in the first place. Not saying what we have now is the best thing ever, but the nights that we had before were atrocious.

2. Awesome news

3. I meant that non ballistic gear like high cap vests or t shirts should provide no protection at all. Currently they reduce dmg done slightly and reduce ur chance of bleeding.

6. Sure maybe they were too dark before but we need something better. I would honestly like a darker night outside of HC. The current situation the paved roads glow in the dark without even having gamma up

6. Sure maybe they were too dark before but we need something better. I would honestly like a darker night outside of HC. The current situation the paved roads glow in the dark without even having gamma up

I agree, the nights need work. I suspect we'll see some marked improvements whenever they make the move to DX10/11.

I agree, the nights need work. I suspect we'll see some marked improvements whenever they make the move to DX10/11.

Lets hope so my favorite time to PVP is at night. There was no other pvp exp like it befre the night time nerf.

Best night of my life was when I killed one memeber of a group of three and the other two started to try and flush me out of the woods with flares.

I would like to keep the basic game mechanics (damage, stamina, hunger, thirst etc.) the same as in regular as well as keeping environment interactions (zombies behavior, health and damage, trees, vehicles) in the same way but make certain aspects more difficult. Basically a harsher world that still follows the same natural laws.

• base mechanics unchanged
  • weapon properties unchanged
  • player and NPC properties unchanged
  • vehicle properties unchanged

So features related to the above should be implemented in regular as well. BUT:

• overall loot rarity increased
  • certain actions might take more time (like fishing, giving/taking blood etc.)
  • less luxury features (e.g. seeing player names)
  • more zombies
  • less wild animals
  • less wells
  • less vehicles
  • only choosing a hive/shard to join and then getting assigned a server based on player count (exception: joining after/with friends)
  • maybe 24 hour cycles
  • less forgiving weather
  • in case of added plague sources" (like mosquitoes) they might be more common
  • maybe randomized professions/talents restricting what a single player can do
  • randomized character appearance including height (choose gender only)
  • maybe a small chance of spawning with a random drawback (limp leg, heart condition etc.)
  • a huge penalty for biting the dust (compared to a significant but still lighter one in regular)
  • having to wash yourself frequently to avoid sickness
  • a chance of tripping when sprinting down (very) steep hills

In short: It mostly plays like regular but is less forgiving and not fair at all.

really a chance of tripping on hill ...people rekon they die from drinking cans or walking up stairs and now you want random sprained ankle calculators 

All good ideas.

-I don't like 1st and 3rd person enabled, should only be first

-run a matchmaking when HC mode is selected. Have the game fill the servers then bleed into the next server with the best ping. Similar to console. It makes sure the match it full. You would completely avoid joining an empty server with no said player count or list.

I don't think there should be less loot or anything like that. Typically HC is just less health and no hud.

Edited by BMAF
  • Like 1

bump? shhh

All good ideas.

-I don't like 1st and 3rd person enabled, should only be first

-run a matchmaking when HC mode is selected. Have the game fill the servers then bleed into the next server with the best ping. Similar to console. It makes sure the match it full. You would completely avoid joining an empty server with no said player count or list.

I don't think there should be less loot or anything like that. Typically HC is just less health and no hud.

I like the idea of the matchmaking to keep servers full but I prefer to stick to one server and with persistence this will not be possible. I do like the idea of keeping the server full so there's no empty "safe" server for people to gear up on but it just wont work.

Hardcore should have less loot. It should be hard to survive. It should be harder in general to add an extra layer of challenge for those of us that are experienced enough to handle it. The harder it is to survive the more player to player interaction will occur, which is what we need. It's called hardcore for a reason :P

I have yet to run in to a hacker on hardcore which is the only real reason I play this game mode ATM but I want to see it expanded and improved on, and i agree with the majority of the suggestions in this thread :D

Edited by MrMutant

Well I bring up most of this cause in my exp in HC modes the gui is on of the main things being removed to aid in HC.

1. The point is u shouldn't be able to know who is online and if they are ghosting or not cause it takes away from immersion...sure people cheating does too but it shouldn't be reason to damage HC mode to try and account for exploiters and hackers....

2.the devs could improve how we can see and interact with items. The fact of having a white dot however aids in combat quite a bit as well and can be a crutch. Remove it for HC to focus less on spray and pray and more on precision

3.I agree to an extent but many items should povide next to 0 ballistic protection for even the 22. Open for interpretation for sure.

4.agree I dont know how it will work but again in other fps hc mode u can sprint last then u can in non HC. The idea is to make it harder to run from battles.

5.I think irregardless HC should keep u on ur toes more about starving or dying of thirst more often.

6.because the current nights are way easy to see in and are a joke

7.u always have the option of changing servers. It is a survival game...can u call urself a survivor if u cant make it through the night ?

8. It is easy but the page up and page down thing is too easy. In a combat situation players should not be able to adjust the range as easy as u can in dayz.

9. Lets face it majority of plyers like 3rd person cause they like to we their character. No sense catering only to the niche

10. Many other games dont let u adjust FOV and people get by. Also the brightness and gamma increases give players an advantage over others. Esp at night. We shouldn't be entitled to make things easier to see all the tim in HC. In real life u cant just make ur eyes brighter.

1. The problem is, the server browser would have to be modified just to accommodate for something like that, which isn't easily justifiable.

2. Item interaction could be improved and I can see the reason for removing the crosshair.

3. Ballistic protection shouldn't be made any less on hardcore servers, but I do agree that the rates need to be adjusted entirely.

4. But why? Why all of the sudden are the characters affected like that? It doesn't really make any sense.

5. Food & Water, and loot overall should be made rarer, but actually requiring you to eat/drink more often isn't a good idea.

6. Yeah, right. The superdark nights were atrociously bad. Either way, why would the nights need to be any darker? And why bother re-implementing them, I can imagine that things would end up conflicting with the lighting renderer trying to switch on "super hardcore" servers.

7. Locked 24/7 night cycles, I don't really see the point. I think the rate at which server time passes should just be a separate option (just like 3pp/1pp/both).

8. I don't see how adjusting the range needs to get it's own animation, it would take way too long to play the same animation when going from 1000m to 100m (not that you'd ever need to do that, but case in point). Now, swapping out attachments could use an animation. Either way, these are things that would probably be added to the regular game as well.

9. That's why I think that 3pp and 1pp should be separate options for private servers, unrelated to other toggleable settings. I don't really think relegating the game to specific "modes" is a good idea, but rather giving server admins the freedom to choose how they want their server to be.

10. The problem with that is that people have different monitor sizes and also ones of varying screen brightness. A lot of servers would be essentially unplayable for some people and this would be very detrimental if you live in an area with not too many low-ping servers. Locked brightness/gamma I'm a little more supportive of, but I still don't see a good reason to.

This would definitely spice it up a bit.

I think making the game more challenging could possibly result in a SLIGHT decrease in player boredom which equals KOS.

If they are focused more on surviving, that would help a LOT.

I've always liked the idea of having to fiddle around with a scope and doing test shots when you remount it.

24h cycle is the only one I disagree. Anything under 24h for example 22h is much better because then the time is differrent on another day so you don't always play in pitch black or sunny day depending just on what time zone you're.

1. The problem is, the server browser would have to be modified just to accommodate for something like that, which isn't easily justifiable.

2. Item interaction could be improved and I can see the reason for removing the crosshair.

3. Ballistic protection shouldn't be made any less on hardcore servers, but I do agree that the rates need to be adjusted entirely.

4. But why? Why all of the sudden are the characters affected like that? It doesn't really make any sense.

5. Food & Water, and loot overall should be made rarer, but actually requiring you to eat/drink more often isn't a good idea.

6. Yeah, right. The superdark nights were atrociously bad. Either way, why would the nights need to be any darker? And why bother re-implementing them, I can imagine that things would end up conflicting with the lighting renderer trying to switch on "super hardcore" servers.

7. Locked 24/7 night cycles, I don't really see the point. I think the rate at which server time passes should just be a separate option (just like 3pp/1pp/both).

8. I don't see how adjusting the range needs to get it's own animation, it would take way too long to play the same animation when going from 1000m to 100m (not that you'd ever need to do that, but case in point). Now, swapping out attachments could use an animation. Either way, these are things that would probably be added to the regular game as well.

9. That's why I think that 3pp and 1pp should be separate options for private servers, unrelated to other toggleable settings. I don't really think relegating the game to specific "modes" is a good idea, but rather giving server admins the freedom to choose how they want their server to be.

10. The problem with that is that people have different monitor sizes and also ones of varying screen brightness. A lot of servers would be essentially unplayable for some people and this would be very detrimental if you live in an area with not too many low-ping servers. Locked brightness/gamma I'm a little more supportive of, but I still don't see a good reason to.

Theres a lot of good stuff in there, but because you didnt clean your vagina from all that sand you came here to unload the pressure.

Admit it, you just wanted to bash all hes ideas for no other reason than being a dick.

Edited by BENEDICTUS