hotcakes

Shotguns got buffed

full shotgun 68.8 MOA --->  34.4 MOA

sawed-off 275.2 MOA -----> 68.8 MOA

damage rating 6 ------> 60

Now the question is, does it still fire only one pellet? That's insane if it still does. While I was firing the sawed-off the groupings looked like there was only one pellet.

Shotguns are very good now, however there is a bug where you can't unload any shells that are already loaded.  Please vote on the tracker here: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=14812

It does seem that either they are firing a single pellet or the cone of fire is so tight that the shots don't disperse for quite some distance.  I haven't fully tested it yet, but I was leaving single giant impacts on walls when shooting at people today.  Shooting zombies also left a single blood impact.

However, just the other day I shot a full spread, so I'm really quite confused as to which it is or what affects it.

Definitely good news, I love shoties! Now maybe we can finally get pump action baikal shotgun?

Will someone tell me what MOA means? o.O

Minute of angle basicly the universal measurment of accuracy of said gun..

Will someone tell me what MOA means? o.O

It is simply an angular form of measurement.

The best way to visualize it is a cone where the gunfire spreads and it is roughly equivalent to 1 inch at 100 yards.

So if the shotgun is 30 moa for instance its spread of fire would be no larger than 30 inches at 100 yards.

• Like 5

The best way to visualize it is a cone where the gunfire spreads and it is roughly equivalent to 1 inch at 100 yards.

So if the shotgun is 30 moa for instance its spread of fire would be no larger than 30 inches at 100 yards.

This is a far better explanation lol i guess i am just to lazy to go into any depth.. beanz

For another explanation I guess you could use a torch to visualise it too - shine the light when you're close to the wall and the light circle is small and grows bigger as you back away.

Here's what the impacts look like right now.  Still haven't tested it properly, but it does seem to either be the tightest spread ever or a single pellet again.  I was firing from the doors of the ATC to that point, which is roughly 20m according to the map.

Dmg does seem fine, they just don't seem to spread.

BTW this is 3 separate shots, each hole is one shot.

84st9v3.jpg

For reference here is a proper spread from back before shotguns got messed up to begin with, from 15-20m

ZJu3Inx.jpg

Which I always felt was just slightly too large at that range any ways.

Edited by Bororm

m4 master race, what's up in this thread? Still using shotguns?

Still just blasting m4 losers and hiding their bodies, you know, that old thing =P

The sawnoff is my doorbell.. I use it to greet guests or to say hello to neighbors who may be too afraid to come out and say hi. So far, its been an insane tool to have in my pack/arsenal. Basically if you are coming in, or holed up inside all I have to do is rush you with my shotgun and it never ends well lately for the other guy. 

• Like 1

I did some quick tests and can confirm the shotgun is not shooting a spread, regardless of distance, so it is not just a very tight cone.  It is doing full damage seemingly, but it is acting more like a slug than pellets.

Here is the original feedback tracker for that bug where it has been acknowledged already: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=12219

As I mentioned earlier there is also a bug where you can't eject shells, here's that tracker again: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=14812

If people could vote on both of these or add their comments to them hopefully we can get it fixed sooner rather than later.

I'd like to point out though that the shotgun currently is still a very potent weapon and worth using, it's just not functioning properly at all.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I did some quick tests and can confirm the shotgun is not shooting a spread, regardless of distance, so it is not just a very tight cone. It is doing full damage seemingly, but it is acting more like a slug than pellets.

Here is the original feedback tracker for that bug where it has been acknowledged already: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=12219

As I mentioned earlier there is also a bug where you can't eject shells, here's that tracker again: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=14812

If people could vote on both of these or add their comments to them hopefully we can get it fixed sooner rather than later.

I'd like to point out though that the shotgun currently is still a very potent weapon and worth using, it's just not functioning properly at all.

How many shoots to the face/body does it take to kill a player or a zombie?

1 shot to a zed pretty much anywhere that i have shot has been death to a zed. As for players havent had enough chances to test much only shot 1 person with shotgun was inside 10 feet and they were medium geared( had most everything but had no vest ) and they didnt die but they did you out cold from a slug to upper body..

Its 1 shot to the head for players.

I've killed a good amount of people with 1 shot to the chest as well, but I also swear that initially the shotgun actually was spreading at the start of this patch and most of those kills were during that time.

I don't think it has taken more than 2 shots to the chest to kill some one though, in my experience thus far any ways.

It's multiple shots if you hit them in the leg for sure, but one shot to the leg should break their legs.

So the damage is definitely more than it was when it really was a single pellet.  The impact it leaves is also significantly larger than it was at that time.

I don't think it has taken more than 2 shots to the chest to kill some one though, in my experience thus far any ways.

• Like 1

Anyone else feel shotguns are a bit rare? I've been having a difficult time spotting any. Only spotted one in my 5+ hours of playtime today, and the server went down as I picked it up...pretty lame because it came with a ton of ammo and a speed loader. :P

Here's what the impacts look like right now.  Still haven't tested it properly, but it does seem to either be the tightest spread ever or a single pellet again.  I was firing from the doors of the ATC to that point, which is roughly 20m according to the map.

Dmg does seem fine, they just don't seem to spread.

BTW this is 3 separate shots, each hole is one shot.

84st9v3.jpg

For reference here is a proper spread from back before shotguns got messed up to begin with, from 15-20m

ZJu3Inx.jpg

Which I always felt was just slightly too large at that range any ways.

Actually, the first picture is accurate... except that you should see little holes and not one big dot.

Edited by Cpanther

A damage rating of 60 should be enough to kill anything it touches. 

In comparison, the mosin's rating is 12.

A damage rating of 60 should be enough to kill anything it touches. 

In comparison, the mosin's rating is 12.

That's silly high, over 5 times as much as the old M107 (A2: 14.5mm = 31, 12.7mm = 26, 7.62mm = 12). A shotgun slug should be from 12-14. Probably temporary fix.

Anyone else feel shotguns are a bit rare? I've been having a difficult time spotting any. Only spotted one in my 5+ hours of playtime today, and the server went down as I picked it up...pretty lame because it came with a ton of ammo and a speed loader. :P

You're more likely to find any of the other rifles than a shotgun for sure, it's pretty annoying.  Shotgun shells are some times a pain to find too, and I have the most luck finding them in "military" spawns more so than residential.  I'm including police stations/cars in that category, which is where I find them the most.

That's silly high, over 5 times as much as the old M107 (A2: 14.5mm = 31, 12.7mm = 26, 7.62mm = 12). A shotgun slug should be from 12-14. Probably temporary fix.

Well it definitely takes more than a single shot to the legs.  It's quite possibly a single shot to the chest though, as I have 1 shot a lot of kitted dudes, I'm just hesitant to say for certain because I think I've had to hit guys twice before.  The m107 used to kill in 1 shot any where.
It is pretty OP right now though in a sense.  I think they just really fucked up on it right now.
Edited by Bororm

Here's a fully kitted m4 duper nerd who came out of the atc wall I killed in 1 shot to the chest, so it's highly likely it is 1 shot kills to the chest, considering this guy had about as much gear on as possible.

i4QyzJK.jpg

He was the second one I lured out and killed today.  If you're going to be an asshole and sit in the walls, I recommend you stay in there when I'm around with my shotgun =P

I just ditched my shotgun and all my ammo at one of the airbases. Maybe I should have hung onto it...