Azzerrrr

Sniping is a cowards technique?

Is it just me or do some of you guys find that sniping is a cowards way of taking someone out, I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life, not from a rooftop 600 yards away..

Edited by Azzerrrr
  • Like 1

Well, wouldn't call them cowards. Can also be used for, like, counter sniping or covering your friends who're looting a town or whatnot.

However, the only reason for me to try to shoot someone on 600m range is if he's pointing a sniper at me. Otherwise avoidance or some warning shots or whatnot would do better ... most people are not a threat 600m away.

• Like 1

what?

Sniping is awesome....

...I mean to be a man...

REAL MAN dont Play Videogames... :P

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 3

Sniping is a risk that is worth the reward. Think about it. When you are scoped in, you are really vulnerable. And if you want to go get loot, you are even more vulnerable when you come out of hiding.

I love sniping.

• Like 2

Is it just me or do some of you guys find that sniping is a cowards way of taking someone out, I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life, not from a rooftop 600 yards away..

Bitter much?

• Like 7

Far from...

Scoped rifles have their uses.  I like to sit outside of town and pick off zombies.  It's kinda fun to guestimate the range, zero your scope, let the round fly, and let your friend tell you 'too high, too low'.

Sniping players seems like a shitty way to play unless the target is harassing someone.  KoSers in general irk me, even though they're a necessary evil.

Sniping is a risk that is worth the reward. Think about it. When you are scoped in, you are really vulnerable. And if you want to go get loot, you are even more vulnerable when you come out of hiding.

I love sniping.

Most kids with sniper rifles just hide in trees, almost invisible, outside of cities with no intention of looting their victims.  Unless that kid is listening to some really loud music, they should be able to hear someone approaching long before it's a problem.

• Like 1

Pretty much, yeah! I mean, it is not going to be a mano-a-mano  and pretty much everything that doesn't involve beating someone into bloody pulp reads cowardice in my book!

I guess by that statement you having a CS:S history of bunnyhopping around your enemies and then no-scope-360 them with an headshot ?

• Like 1

Snipers make the game interesting. Especially Novo, which is surrounded by near-perfect sniping spots, in a highly populated server it really makes going into the city to loot it dangerous. And that's how it should be.

It might be "cowardly", but it's effective and it keeps people on their toes in high-loot areas.

• Like 3

I mean to be a man you wanna look your enemy in the eye before ending his life

Turn around and I'll see them, even at 600 yards ;) - Let player play the game the way they want to, enough said!

This is just a game. "Looking your enemy in the eye before ending his life" really how no effect on a video game. 

I personally do not snipe people just for the heck of it. To me, that's boring. But this is a game, and others enjoy playing it that way, and they can play this game however they want. I wouldn't consider it being a coward, though. It's just a game. 

I don't think they are cowards, just confused what game they are playing. I understand this game doesn't have much content, but even when this game is finished, snipping will still be common. We have a lot of so called role playing, from medics to underwear punching bandits, however not many have mentioned they play this game as a post apocalyptic survivor.

I for one play it as what it's made for. I loot mostly for food, I stay away from populated hot spots such as army barracks and police stations. I cherish few bullets that I have, and keep away from other players. I do not take life away if it isn't threat, so to kill someone from 600 yards away, is not only a waste of ammo but also just pointless.

Now i could easily server hop and arm myself to the teeth in under an hour, but there are better games than dayz for this kind of play

• Like 4

Can't say I agree mate. Be more careful next time. 

This is just a game. "Looking your enemy in the eye before ending his life" really how no effect on a video game.

It's DayZ, you set your own goals. If your goal is looking people in the eye before you shoot them, it's important imo!

• Like 1

It's DayZ, you set your own goals. If your goal is looking people in the eye before you shoot them, it's important imo!

"Oi! Hold still! I want to look you in the eye! Right. Ok, thanks."

BANG

• Like 5

But sniping is so unreliabe with all the broken damage issues and desync.

Also, if you camp to snipe, bambis and hackers get behind you and punch you out to get your gear.

So sniping in this game is actually very difficult and dangerous to your toon. So its hardly a cowards way.

Go ahead and try sniping from a well known snipers nest on a full server. If you dont get punched by someone from behind within ten minutes I will be amazed.

• Like 3

Sniping serves many purposes, as other's have said and it's a dangerous choice. 

If your not completely stealth up on, or hacker teleport to and killed. Your still using a sniper rifle and (hopefully) a pistol to defend yourself against whoever does end up finding you putting you at a severe disadvantage to most other's who are wielding full automatics. 

You might be counter sniping, camp snipe KOSing, just being watchful / hero scouting an encounter and killing whoever draws a gun first, being a mobile sniper, setting a trap in one form or another or covering friends... but whatever your reasons; 

Inside buildings or over short distances isn't to hard, but at that point your better off carrying a automatic with a simple scope so that's not even 'really' sniping; not even going to go into discussing it..

The long range sniping, 500-1,000 meters requires first off finding a good position, not getting unnerved by the random noises, proper zeroing and leading the target and factoring in scope damage (1,000 meters is almost 2 1/2 second lead + factoring in bullet drifting off course to the left / consideration if the scope is damaged ;3) and to top it off estimating lag which in all likelihood the target is doing one of three things-

1.) Sneaking, and using binoculars to pay attention to common sniper positions (generally hardcore only due to 3pv ;/) so you run into the problem of being seen before you see your target in some cases, or at the very least just plain not seeing anyone.

2.) Full-Sprinting, which is a actual challenge at long distances to make a proper shot no matter the direction of the run, but if playing it smart they are side-to side running and listening for the first shot, if it's a miss, angling to make themselves even less of a target and going for cover and never used the roads or obvious points of entry to an area so you rarely spot them early.

3.) Being bambi/rambo style and just running around care-free in which case they had it coming no matter how you look at it.

Failed sniping results in either holding your position which is usually fatal, re-positioning nearby to hopefully get a shot on anyone who tried to go to where you were (brave) or bolting out of the area and hopefully not ending up tracked down if you spot somewhere not to far away. Which, interestingly while the kill-shot itself is exciting, it's the after a kill or missed shot that's the most 'exciting' part of sniping going to loot the corpse of your foe or not: due to not knowing who else is around and may be scanning for who made the shot - you.

Up close and personal, try to communicate in some cases after you see someone - decided which way to go (if your not already shot at) pull trigger without much second thought and profit or be dead. Nothing grand about it.

.. I've done many playstyles, and sniping is by far the hardest at present to do effectively IMO. Not always exactly the most exciting, heart pumping action: but it's certainly the hardest.

Edited by AzrailCross
  • Like 2

In my opinion sniping is an art.

Being unseen with good camouflage + taking a long distance shot (with arma's bullet physics) is very hard and requires quite some skill, especially when wind is going to be added in the future.

Also shooting some one in the face means you give them a chance to respond, so why shoot before you let them speak? Being stealthy is what you need to survive the longest.

• Like 3

Sniping has always been for cowards.

Nothing wrong with the act of sniping though only how insanely easy it is in dayz and vanilla Arma.

Sniping is easy I agree. However, killing is difficult. Especially with the damage nerfs. Even well earn't 600m+ headshots don't result in kills.