killbot420

How do you veterans start a fresh spawn? ( dayZ SA)

Hello, I am new to dayz, I never played the mod but I am good at the standalone, like I can get energized, hydrated, healthy, and even get like axes and guns, possibly with ammo. What are your thoughts on using a map like dayzdb, and what would be the purpose of using the map? Also, what do you veterans do as a fresh spawn, and could you possibly give some tips? For example, as a fresh spawn I go into small towns and get killed/ chased by like 6 zombies, with a weapon.

Hello, I am new to dayz, I never played the mod but I am good at the standalone, like I can get energized, hydrated, healthy, and even get like axes and guns, possibly with ammo. What are your thoughts on using a map like dayzdb, and what would be the purpose of using the map? Also, what do you veterans do as a fresh spawn, and could you possibly give some tips? For example, as a fresh spawn I go into small towns and get killed/ chased by like 6 zombies, with a weapon.

Well. I great thing I find is awesome, is I generally just kill myself till I get a vybor spawn. Might be cheeky but its good because you spawn with literally....literally....Nothing but you spawn energized healthy and hydrated. And you spawn basically next to the NWAF and Vybor Military base. But, really the only thing I can tell you is to head inland as quick as possible. And generally make it to the west side of the map with the db and just hang out there by Zeleno and Vybor. Nice place to get gear and tents. Some action with really geared players but no new spawns trying to knock you out for your sporter ;). but good luck man. Have fun.

Suiciding for a good spawn is an option but I find it much more fun to try to make the best of the spawn I get. It's all about the journey to the end game.

First thing I do when spawning is drop my flashlight and batteries, they just waste space. Normally I use roadsigns and stuff to figure out where I am and which direction  to the nearest big town occasionally with the help of the DayZDB map. 

Since most spawns are limited to the north-east section of the map I do a run of Berezino-> Svetlojark -> Novo -> NEAF, the order depending on where exactly I spawned. Most of the time I die in one of those towns or end up stealth-killing some m4 kid blasting away at the fresh spawns. In fact, killing those people is probably the #1 method of getting geared. Since DayZ is in such an early state there isn't much more to do at that point and I usually end up logging off to go do other things.

• Like 9

I would NOT recommend what jflies said.  I'm pretty sure that spawn will not be around forever, and you will neither learn anything nor have any fun suiciding time and time again until you get a specific spawn.  Hell, I have never even seen that spawn, so who knows how easy/hard it is to get.

The game can be a bit intimidating when you first start.  Instead of suiciding, just find and loot towns that you come across.  Start to learn which buildings are worth looking in first, which buildings hold weapons or food, and get the hang of taking care of zombies.  Find street signs on the major inlet/outlet roads of the town and look them up on a map.  Soon enough, you'll start to grasp your bearings and towns without needing to check the map.  This sort of knowledge will NOT come from continually suiciding.

• Like 6

DayZDB is cheating and I feel like it makes my experience diminished. I really enjoy exploration. If the map in Oblivion was a little less empty, I'd disable fast travel and only use the local map.

I also think that suiciding until you get a favorable spawn is bullshit. What's the point in having random spawn if you're removing the random? The disorientation and map exploration associated with starting in the middle of who-knows-where is exciting! When I start recognizing spawns, I stop having fun. If I get a spawn where I know really good loot is in one direction, I'll run in a different direction.

There's 1 spawn that takes you to a barn and a house, so there's an axe, crossbow, Mosin, SKS, or food, and there's a pump nearby. Never seen more than 1 zombie there, usually none, and it's almost never looted. Keep running north, there's an industrial center, and there's more houses if you want to risk zombie agro. Keep going north there's one of the new towns, where I have never seen another player. There's a hospital and good places to find melee weapons, so at least by the time you leave that house you're armed. Keep going north (literally going in a straight line this whole time) there's an under-construction building. If you can't get a backpack and a firearm by then, there's something wrong with you. Zombies aren't a threat because they can't really attack you in that building, and if they follow you up, get stuck when you run away. There's 2 barns next to it, so there's all the clothes you need. Still going north, you can go north-west to hit the NWAF or north-east to hit the beached ship wreckage and the town south of it. I've made this run at least a dozen times, during the day and night, on medium-full servers, and I've never run into another player doing it until the final section. This is the method I will continue using until the combat mechanics are fixed, hackers are minimized, and random deaths aren't so common (as long as the game is broken, I have no moral issue with "Loot runs." Server hopping is still bullshit noob tactics though)

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 1

DayZDB is cheating and I feel like it makes my experience diminished. I really enjoy exploration. If the map in Oblivion was a little less empty, I'd disable fast travel and only use the local map.

I also think that suiciding until you get a favorable spawn is bullshit. What's the point in having random spawn if you're removing the random? The disorientation and map exploration associated with starting in the middle of who-knows-where is exciting! When I start recognizing spawns, I stop having fun. If I get a spawn where I know really good loot is in one direction, I'll run in a different direction.

There's 1 spawn that takes you to a barn and a house, so there's an axe, crossbow, Mosin, SKS, or food, and there's a pump nearby. Never seen more than 1 zombie there, usually none, and it's almost never looted. Keep running north, there's an industrial center, and there's more houses if you want to risk zombie agro. Keep going north there's one of the new towns, where I have never seen another player. There's a hospital and good places to find melee weapons, so at least by the time you leave that house you're armed. Keep going north (literally going in a straight line this whole time) there's an under-construction building. If you can't get a backpack and a firearm by then, there's something wrong with you. Zombies aren't a threat because they can't really attack you in that building, and if they follow you up, get stuck when you run away. There's 2 barns next to it, so there's all the clothes you need. Still going north, you can go north-west to hit the NWAF or north-east to hit the beached ship wreckage and the town south of it. I've made this run at least a dozen times, during the day and night, on medium-full servers, and I've never run into another player doing it until the final section. This is the method I will continue using until the combat mechanics are fixed, hackers are minimized, and random deaths aren't so common (as long as the game is broken, I have no moral issue with "Loot runs." Server hopping is still bullshit noob tactics though)

Well I actually like using the maps because I know the town or city's name.

Edited by killbot420

First thing I do when spawning is drop my flashlight and batteries, they just waste space. Normally I use roadsigns and stuff to figure out where I am and which direction  to the nearest big town occasionally with the help of cheating*

Fixed that for you. :)

• Like 1

Fixed that for you. :)

Every player has the option of pulling up DayZDB. It doesn't give me an unfair advantage over other players. Now whether it ruins your hyper realistic immersive experience or not is a different question, but it's not cheating.

• Like 4

Damn people kill themselves for better spawns? What a bunch of lazy BS. Why even play a game with a map this large if you don't want to loot and explore around?

I will admit when I first played I tried to use the DayDB map but it felt like a crutch and I would never truly learn loot spawns and locations, so I stopped using it early on. I'm a diehard woodman so I don't need no stinking map or crutch database. It has nothing to do with hyper realism. It's called learning the game.

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 3

Every player has the option of cheating*

Is your keyboard broken? You seem to have trouble typing that correctly.

• Like 2

I pretty much take whichever spawn I'm given (that's part of the game IMO) and then head inland through Staroye, Gorka etc. making my way up to the NW airfield and collecting bits and pieces in the towns on the way. :)

• Like 1

I start by looking for something sharp to open cans with and for cargo pants.  Then a hoodie since the riders jacket, that I love the look of, is such a weak sister.  After that a hat or MC helmet.  My fav hat lately is the Pilotka.  I will usually hydrate first in case all I are the dried foods, rice, powdered milk or cereal. This house http://dayz.gamepedia.com/File:Residential_big_yellow.png is usually good for food, there are a few that are in out of the way places and are unlooted quite often. Then I try to find a small ruck or make a courior bag then improvised back pack.  I have, on occasion, found a hunters ruck in the large warehouses, but not very often.  I then find some chow and head for a junk yard.  I have found all kinds of useful stuff in junkyards, especially the one at Chenaya Polana.  Once I feel that I am armed enough I head west, usually at night and along a northerly route to get end game geared.

Edited by Barnabus

Hello there

Use of online maps is a bit exploitative IMHO but not a Cheat per se.

IMHO the only person they are cheating is themselves.

As a piece of code, the maps are great. Spoilers though.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

As a fresh spawn you can pretty much sprint the map, north / south / east / west without dieing from thirst or hunger.

besides the fact that there are ponds and pools of water you can drink from that have no ill effect at the moment.

Allso, there are towns and stuff NW that have little to no zeds, as well as listed on the DayZDB map, in the northwest there is a town that is not there anymore, but the well is...... ;)

Happy Hunting

I usually don't suicide for better spawnpoints. When I spawn and get attacked by three zombies though, who it takes ages to kill with your bare hands and who will ruin what little you have and probably bleed you out by the time you're done with them, I will suicide and try again. And then I just start looting the nearest locations - No need to be careful, I don't have anything to lose. After that I usually go further inland, using the dayzdb map to find my way, and get gradually more cautious while looting. I'm usually aiming for police stations, very rarely for airfields or military bases.

Wow I -never- suicide. Just pick another direction, find some more food to eat and you'll run upon whatever it is you need. Just as much chance as when you'd respawn. Actually more so because the further inland you go, the more loot there will be because of the way respawning works atm ..

I usually don't suicide for better spawnpoints. When I spawn and get attacked by three zombies though, who it takes ages to kill with your bare hands and who will ruin what little you have and probably bleed you out by the time you're done with them, I will suicide and try again. And then I just start looting the nearest locations - No need to be careful, I don't have anything to lose. After that I usually go further inland, using the dayzdb map to find my way, and get gradually more cautious while looting. I'm usually aiming for police stations, very rarely for airfields or military bases.

Yea I think I'll try that out, because right now each time I play, I just get wrecked by 5 zeds even at like a little town, how they patched the zombies is kind of unfair.

I get energized/hydradted

then i try and find an SKS and a box of ammo but eithe r a mousin or blaze will do as well...

I then hoof it to NWAF and proceed to loot it heading from NWAF, Vybor base, Zelengrosk, Pablano secret base, Balota

I rinse repeat til I have all the gear I consider BIS and then I hunt people at night or just chill until they put some new gear in stable i want.

I do most my pvping on my experimental character since he gets wiped each update anyways

Dude the best you do imo is to be a wanderer in Chernarus. Go from town to town without a clear objective in mind if not just knowing Chernarus and getting references for your further travels.

Never used that outside game map site, and nowadays I don't even use the ingame map system because I can get to most places with a compass and referencing myself using towns. Its a pretty cool experience to get lost for a long time and then you find that little unlooted town that gives you food, drink and a reference!

Edited by Avant-Garde

Is your keyboard broken? You seem to have trouble typing that correctly.

Better log out of the forums, you might accidentally get some information you didn't "earn" in game. 

• Like 4

Thx plexico and doctajones. I will try that out

What I have found is that the buildings that everyone heads for first are typically looted. With the new loot respawn that might be less of an issue but still I find the less often checked often have the items I am after. I hit the common places I find hats, pants, shoes, and rotten fruit. When I hit the, "Nothin' good spawns there." that is when I tend to find various handguns and such. 

I mean you can find Mosin, SKS, and Blaze in a barn and barns are frequently on the outskirts of cities or alone in a field which means you can sneak into and loot them quickly without agroing a bunch of zombies. 

Like others have said, get inland to the less traveled cities. For zombies try and find a Hoe or axe and then it is a matter of learning how to melee them. 

Every player has the option of pulling up DayZDB. It doesn't give me an unfair advantage over other players. Now whether it ruins your hyper realistic immersive experience or not is a different question, but it's not cheating.

+1

If you enjoy learning Russian while playing DayZ.. go for it.  The map helps to navigate.  It doesn't teleport you or anything.  You still play the game and enjoy it as much as the guy that doesn't use a map.  But at least you have a general idea of where you are. 

• Like 1

Part of the fun for me has been learning to do the Zombie circle dance when I dont have an Axe, then the run past them, get behind them and 1 shot them when I DO have an axe. Overall its best to not kill yourself to get a better spawn as it ruins the immersive fun to the game.