killbot420

How do you veterans start a fresh spawn? ( dayZ SA)

I never use online maps.  When I spawn, I first try to figure out where I am.  I hit a pond or well first and then look for food.  If the nearest town seems to be heavily picked over I leave immediately rather than searching it all.  I do check industrial areas though as you can always use a can opener of some sort.  You can a pretty good distance without dying from hunger so I try to head as far inland as possible.  Most people would resort to server hopping while I go to the relatively untouched towns for everything I need.  I don't mind the run as exploring the terrain is part of the fun.

If you're completely new you shouldn't do anything other than master your punches.  You'll know you're ready to survive once you can effectively drop a zombie or two with only your fists.  Aim for the head, punch them while they're down, and right as they're getting up try to land some good headshots so they won't have time to attack.  Repeat.

• Like 1

Better log out of the forums, *I can't think of a valid response to your woefully accurate accusations!

There I fixed it for you, again.

Edited by Applejaxc

Pro-tip here: When you spawn find the nearest town you can see and run to it. Looting is not nessessary because you are only looking for the road signs that give you the towns name. Check the town on dayzdb so you can plot out your course. Loot only large building with high loot spawns or weapon spawns. Houses are pointless and a waste of time. Don't try to kill zombies without an axe, just keep sprinting away and looting. Use your strafe keys to avoid hits. Once you acquire a weapon strafe a circle around the zombies and keep swinging until the game desides you hit them. If you are new and on a highly populated server stay away from larger cities like Berezinho, Elektro, and Cherno. Also airfields and military compounds can be equally as dangerous because these are basically pvp hubs. Explore the map from end to end do you csn become a professional navigator. The skills in pvp can be learned from experience and YouTube

If you are super far away from where your end destination is. Just suicide and get a spawn that puts you closest. Do this until they fix it, everyone else is. If there are three rules to dayz they would be as follows. 1. Camp to win in pvp 2. Everyone cheats in some way 3. Nobody is friendly.

There I fixed it for you, again.

You can form valid arguments... I've seen you do it maybe once instead of vapid accusations that are no more than Ad Hominem. Not lately though... Come on step up. 

You can't say something is wrong because it is wrong. That is circular logic that is not worth even posting. Give us some reasons you feel an out of game map is bad. I can think of 3-4 valid ones right now but I'm not going to do your job of defending your position for you. 

Personally I think the good of the out of game maps outweighs the bad and as we all can see most people state that after using either map for a bit they no longer need a map negating at least one of the arguments against using an out of game map right there.

• Like 2

First thing I do is read the road signs or take a look around in order to figure out where I am. Second thing I do is try my best NOT to look like I just spawned, then things carry on from there. Finding a weapon mostly depends on where you spawn

I never use online maps.  When I spawn, I first try to figure out where I am.  I hit a pond or well first and then look for food.  If the nearest town seems to be heavily picked over I leave immediately rather than searching it all.  I do check industrial areas though as you can always use a can opener of some sort.  You can a pretty good distance without dying from hunger so I try to head as far inland as possible.  Most people would resort to server hopping while I go to the relatively untouched towns for everything I need.  I don't mind the run as exploring the terrain is part of the fun.

If you're completely new you shouldn't do anything other than master your punches.  You'll know you're ready to survive once you can effectively drop a zombie or two with only your fists.  Aim for the head, punch them while they're down, and right as they're getting up try to land some good headshots so they won't have time to attack.  Repeat.

I've come to learn, through hours of wasted time, that combing through houses is a complete waste of time -- unless you need food or simple hats.  But once I get my character set up the way I like it, I go to specific places in towns/cities and avoid everything else.  Big apartment buildings are also a waste of time,... too many stairs, too many rooms that are empty = not enough gained. I know they are apart of the game... but I don't want to waste my time, or the guys in my group.  Best to play smart and hit the places that have what you want/need, rather than spend hours in each town combing through homes and empty apartments. #justmy2cents

You can't say something is wrong because it is wrong.

I didn't say it's wrong because it's wrong; it is wrong because it isn't right. If you're going to defend your cheating by calling circular logic incorrect, what's the point in even defining right and wrong? While it's an entirely subjective concept, I assume your caretakers were bright enough instill in you some form of ethics that marks cheating (in any form, even as "harmless" as getting an unfair advantage against legitimate players) as wrong, a code of ethics you are blatantly disregarding. Out of respect for decency, don't cheat.

Well I actually like using the maps because I know the town or city's name.

I got invited to the game last year by a couple of friends. They used the DB map, and advised me to do so too. I regret it now, because i learned where everything was WAY too fast. I don't even need it anymore now, because i simply know where everything is. 

Bottom line, the map takes away the excitement of stumbling upon a village, city or good loot spot by yourself.

(in any form, even as "harmless" as getting an unfair advantage against legitimate players)

EXCEPT it's not an unfair advantage, because EVERYONE has the option of doing it. That's like saying somebody who has a higher resolution than you and therefore can spot players easier is cheating and everyone needs to play at one set resolution. You have not even provided a reason for considering it as a cheat, and you act like we can't think of a valid response when all you can say is "Hurr Durr ITZ CHEting!!!!!11! U SHUld Know its WRONG!!!!"

Looking over at the other player's ships in a game of Battleship is cheating, reading a guide on the effective tactics to defeat your enemy in Battleship beforehand is not cheating. They too have the option of reading that guide and learning from it.

• Like 4

Hello there

Use of online maps is a bit exploitative IMHO but not a Cheat per se.

IMHO the only person they are cheating is themselves.

As a piece of code, the maps are great. Spoilers though.

Rgds

LoK

Meh, I figure if I have made the full map and it's in my ingame inventory then using a map on my ipad is the same thing. My attention is away from the "environment" but I can still use my peripheral vision to moniter events around me.  The map on the whole screen makes me crazy.

As far as suicide goes I've done that twice, only then I had broken legss and no hope of fixing them (back before we could make/scavenge for sticks) dumped all my gear and dragged my self off a high place.

Edited by Barnabus

I spawn.

That's about it, it's all variables after that.

EXCEPT it's not an unfair advantage, because EVERYONE has the option of doing it.

That's like saying it isn't an unfair advantage to use a non-spec car in NASCAR because everyone can add things to their vehicles. It's cheating and, more importantly, it isn't in the spirit of the game. It's like playing Janga, except one player brings an extra set to the game to test out moves on before making a move on the actual tower. It's like playing with blindfolds, except you cut out eyeholes in your fold because "Everyone has the option"

That's a bullshit argument.

That's like saying it isn't an unfair advantage to use a non-spec car in NASCAR because everyone can add things to their vehicles. It's cheating and, more importantly, it isn't in the spirit of the game. It's like playing Janga, except one player brings an extra set to the game to test out moves on before making a move on the actual tower. It's like playing with blindfolds, except you cut out eyeholes in your fold because "Everyone has the option"

It's also like the regular game mode with the 3rd person periscope.

It's also like the regular game mode with the 3rd person periscope.

Real players play hardcore. The only cheat vision I have to deal with is ESP hackers. 3PP is the first thing I disable when playing OFP, A2, or A3. I'm not trying to be an elitist, this just illustrates my hatred for most DayZ players. I would be willing to bet you every paycheck I ever get (not counting taxes) that if there was an application that gave you 3rd person view without risk of being banned, every goddamn player on hardcore would be using it. It is exactly the same with TeamSpeak. The game intentionally institutes a level of difficulty, players intentionally circumvent said difficulty and in doing so gain a significantly unfair advantage over legitimate players. I absolutely can't wait for DayZ hive files to be released; in a heartbeat I will have mine set up, only 1 slot. Even if there's never a script made to add AI to fight, if it's literally just me alone with all the goddamn zombies, that'll be a better use of my monetary investment than dealing with other players and their cheating bullshit.

I didn't say it's wrong because it's wrong; it is wrong because it isn't right. If you're going to defend your cheating by calling circular logic incorrect, what's the point in even defining right and wrong? While it's an entirely subjective concept, I assume your caretakers were bright enough instill in you some form of ethics that marks cheating (in any form, even as "harmless" as getting an unfair advantage against legitimate players) as wrong, a code of ethics you are blatantly disregarding. Out of respect for decency, don't cheat.

Right and wrong are somewhat subjective but you can still give support as to why you believe they are right or wrong. Let me give you an example:

I believe it is okay for players to look at a map that is not in game because there is a community of players on the game that knows this map inside and out or at least the majority of it. They can spawn, identify where they are within seconds, and be sprinting for the nearest place they want to loot within a minute. They know where to stop along the way. They are in fact using out of game knowledge their in game character does not have for advantage. The map barely negates that advantage. Why? Because the new player still needs to orientate themselves and do so while effectively blind and deaf as they are tabbed out of the game. An in game map still blinds you, but you can at least hear something running up on you or gunfire. 

Now you can say, "Oh they earned that knowledge from playing the game." Yes they did, and no they didn't. The map and other outside information has existed since before the new player logged in. By the new players even coming to this forum and posting questions here they have effectively gone to a source of information from outside the game. So by your definition, you being on this forum is a form of cheating.

• Like 2

The difference is NASCAR, Jenga, and kinky blindfold games all have rules, DayZ doesn't. The only thing that's cheating is the stuff that Battleye will ban you for.

Dang guys quit arguing I need more tips!

Just play the game! I will come naturally eventually.

Also, co-operate with any law-enforcement officials that you may run into.

The difference is NASCAR, Jenga, and kinky blindfold games all have rules, DayZ doesn't. The only thing that's cheating is the stuff that Battleye will ban you for.

If it wasn't illegal for Battleye to monitor other activity on your computer, I don't think I'd be the only person lobbying to get TS detection a banning offense. While I concede your point that it is not a rule not to use third party applications to circumvent an issue at the very core of the post-apocalypse survival experience, it is still unfair. In Jenga, there's no rule that you can't have a model tower for experimentation, but it's sure as hell not in the spirit of the game. TS, Skype, Steam chat, Mumble, Oogle, Omega, et al ruin the experience for legitimate players. I don't understand how you can, in good conscious, play this game while using them.

Every player has the option of pulling up DayZDB. It doesn't give me an unfair advantage over other players. Now whether it ruins your hyper realistic immersive experience or not is a different question, but it's not cheating.

He likes the game to punish him, others like the game to have fun with.

Some people are "different"

The kind of different that think you have to either play DayZ 1337 hardcore mode, or play WarZ.

Whatever you do,don't dupe > its for newbies
Don't server hop so you get better loot,its adventure game[not] so explore 
Don't trust people with clown masks > bandits
Keep off the airfield unless you're armed > same goes for Berezino
Trust nobody! Welcome to DayZ.

• Like 1