Grimey Rick

POLL: Should recently-rendered-unconscious players be able to immediately respawn?

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be able to respawn immediately upon being rendered unconscious?

• Affirmative
    • Negative
    • FU Grimey Rick, you gloriously handsome bastard.

No. Only repawn when you're actually dead.

You should be forced to be unconscious for a bit, maybe five or ten minutes, then after that it would give you the option to respawn. Unconsciousness would still last as long as it currently does.

And this why you are clearly not a game developer.  Nothing draws in the player base more than rewarding them with sitting there staring at a blank screen for 10 minutes, just so they can probably die at the end.  Not to mention it would just be quicker to exit the game and sit out the 3 or so minute timer (and that only applied if you recently changed servers).

I could see adding a 30 second pause before you can respawn but lets be honest a second.  The chances that things are not going to go down some dark path while you are unconscious is not that great and forcing players to endure what someone else calls "fun" is not really in the best interest of the game.  Yes it may not be realistic but try and remember we are talking about a zombie apocalypse.  Yeah, totally realistic there...

• Like 1

Because this means death is cheap and with almost no downsides attached to it. So instead of enduring the hardships that might cause a better experience overall (for you or for others) you can just choose the easy way and start over. A very bad thing in a game thats about survival and enduring hardships as it takes away any meaning of death.

Yes, that's great. But this is an Alpha of a survival game. Very little survival is needed. Get 3 cans of beans, sip at a well and you're good for 4 hours of gameplay unless you jump off a building, glitch through a wall or get shot. This isn't survival. This is a walk in the park. The low spawn time may or may not get increased in the future. Who the fuck cares? The main thing is that this is an alpha and we are the testers, things are high in volume and low in time for the sake of testing the mechanics and if something fucks up we're encouraged to report it.

I hold no interest in being cuffed or waiting 45 minutes to respawn because that is a bigger waste of time than I or most people care to dispose of. If I'm knocked unconscious I'll wait for a friend to patch me up, but if he gets fucked over too, We'll respawn and meet up to start again. Why must you PMS over such a small thing?

So why are you playing the game then? And why for hells sake are you trying to influence the way its played if you don't have interest at all?

Because I like shooting things until they stop moving in video games? I obviously have an interest in DayZ as I purposefully bought the alpha. It's quite pompous of you to assume otherwise. 

Edited by sabre05

And this why you are clearly not a game developer.  Nothing draws in the player base more than rewarding them with sitting there staring at a blank screen for 10 minutes, just so they can probably die at the end.  Not to mention it would just be quicker to exit the game and sit out the 3 or so minute timer (and that only applied if you recently changed servers).

I could see adding a 30 second pause before you can respawn but lets be honest a second.  The chances that things are not going to go down some dark path while you are unconscious is not that great and forcing players to endure what someone else calls "fun" is not really in the best interest of the game.  Yes it may not be realistic but try and remember we are talking about a zombie apocalypse.  Yeah, totally realistic there...

Thing is that being rendered unconscious and revived is a part of the gameplay. There are many medical items out there and someone might just wants to  blow airbubbles into your bloodstream for kicks and he will need you to be alive and conscious for that.

Being unconscious pisses me off to no end but I have never really wanted to respawn because there was usually a chance I would be revived by friends.

I am usually killed shortly after being rendered unconscious, though.

Maybe you should be able to respawn if you are unconscious and there is no one in like a 250m radius or whatever with a 60 sec cooldown timer. After all, a cool-down timer isn't unusual in any type of game.

Probably shouldn't be based on how fast you can bleed to death, though. Could indeed take ages and I agree with this guy:

Holy mackerel!!! That's a ridiculous amount of time to stare at a black screen waiting for someone to come by and, 9 times out of 10, just end up killing you anyways. That's a colossal waste of my time.

Games shouldn't feel like work, they should be fun. Anything that wastes my time by not making me have fun is not a game but a poorly programmed piece of software.

Agreed, the respawn button should not be funtional during unconsciousness and a couple of mins after, unless you are dead.

Death should be the only valid reason to respawn IMHO, nothing else.
After all this game is about surviving as long as possible, no matter what.

Um. Won't people just relog if they take out the respawn option?

Sure they will, but IMHO if you log out during unconsciousness, your char should get killed off and you should get forced to start fresh on the beach.

Bohemia should do everything in they're power to discourage logging out during unconsciousness tbh.

Edited by Byrgesen

I think it should be like this:

If you are unconscious, you cannot respawn. You can log out and swap servers, but when you log in you will still be unconscious. When you are unconscious you drop all your gear: if you wake up in the same server you fell unconscious, you can gather up what gear hasn't been stolen and move on; if you log, you'll wake up naked.

I think it should be like this:

If you are unconscious, you cannot respawn. You can log out and swap servers, but when you log in you will still be unconscious. When you are unconscious you drop all your gear: if you wake up in the same server you fell unconscious, you can gather up what gear hasn't been stolen and move on; if you log, you'll wake up naked.

No. If you are unconscious, you stay in the same server.

No. If you are unconscious, you stay in the same server.

I don't know. The game can't stop you from logging out, can it? That would be ridiculous.

Once you've logged off a server your spot might be taken by somebody else, and then you might find that the server's full and you can't play at all because your character's stuck in that server.

Given that the game currently allows you to log off and swap servers at any time while you are alive, I don't think being unconscious should be any different - you are still alive when you are unconscious.

let me say one thing clear I LOVE UNCOSIOUS!!! is fantastic feature because you sit screen black and you don't know what happen I am die soon? zombie is eat my face? bandit is make me hostage? they steal my blood? I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPEN this is great thing is add real tensioness to the game and I love wen is surprise good or bad is always surprise and not enough game have this so WHO WANT TO DO RESPAWN BECAUSE UNCONSIOUS??? they are miss the interesting momwent wen you waking up and see what is happen (if you waking up) and also wen is unconsious and after you are survive is BIG ACHEVEMENT FOR YO because you don't quit you fight for life and take evry challenge what is coming and still you are here with chance for survive.

NO RESPAWN WEN UNCOSIOUS PLEASE

• Like 2

When i am unconcious i generally go for a toilet break have a smoke make a coffee or a really stiff drink , to be honest there is very very few times i have ever woken up from it.

I did have to laugh once coming in from a smoke to hear some drip trying to torture me in a very sexual manner and was pissed i wasnt responding i just shut the audio off and waited for him to eventually kill me ( didnt take long).

Some you guys have some serious issues while playing this game not sure how telling guys yeah i got you mother f@#$#% now suck it etc etc is entertaining game play lol each to there own i guess...

Dont really care if they allow respawn when out cold or only when dead doesnt really affect me or how i play ( but i can see those that do want a removal of it seem to be of the mind of a griefer that likes to play out some twisted rp fantasy why else are they worried if someone is dead or just out cause when i shoot someone i shoot them again in the head to make sure there dead i dont need to strip them naked cuff them break there legs etc etc i am not an asshole...

I don't see why anyone is crying about it. so what if they respawn?

"but but I can't bandage them and nurse 'em back to healthy status if they respawn!" then why did you shoot/punch/attack in the first place? lol

if they respawn then you won and they lost.. they have to start over fresh and you get to pick through their shit.

and if you wanna do the psycho/torture thing then up your game and catch them while they're conscious

Thing is that being rendered unconscious and revived is a part of the gameplay.

Yes it is, but only to an extent. The point Briljin was trying to make is that yes, it is part of the gameplay, but to make it any more of an aspect of gameplay than it already is will have an extremely detrimental impact on playability.  Gameplay is one thing, enjoyment of play is another. 

Games shouldn't feel like work, they should be fun.

Exactly. To my point above, I just don't believe that the majority of DayZ players would enjoy staring at a black screen for 5 to 10 minutes, just to be killed in the end. Being tortured may be fun the first or second time, because it can be pretty funny. However, 6 months into playing the game, it's not all that funny anymore.

Besides, can you imagine the mayhem this would cause if the devs decide to increase the difficulty of gameplay by either adding more zombies, making zombies harder, making the environment harder, or increasing server population? 

This is a game, people want to PLAY it. They don't want to sit in their computer chair staring at a black screen for 10 minutes waiting to respawn. That would ruin this game.

I have a wife, a kid on the way, and a full time job. I don't have hours on end to play DayZ. The last thing I want is for the short amount of time that I have to play be eaten away by unconsciousness! Lol. 

I don't know. The game can't stop you from logging out, can it? That would be ridiculous.

Once you've logged off a server your spot might be taken by somebody else, and then you might find that the server's full and you can't play at all because your character's stuck in that server.

Given that the game currently allows you to log off and swap servers at any time while you are alive, I don't think being unconscious should be any different - you are still alive when you are unconscious.

I just realised that if you logged out while you are unconscious, you will simply respawn upon entering a new server and killed. At least I assume it works like being handcuffed.

Which, I think, is a fair solution.

I have a wife, a kid on the way, and a full time job. I don't have hours on end to play DayZ. The last thing I want is for the short amount of time that I have to play be eaten away by unconsciousness! Lol.

Hm but you are O.K with the mind-numbing traveltime between towns?

I agree with you that it is no fun staring at a "you are unconscious" screen just to find out you were going to die any way but the amount of time you spend being unconscious will never outweigh the time spent walking.

I only recall one episode where I was unconscious for a very long time and at that point there was still a glimmer of hope when it came to being revived.

Ideally, your character's life would be worth waiting out unconsciousness for. Maybe someone will find you and patch you up; maybe you'll just regain consciousness and be able to carry on.

The problem is inextricably linked to the character health mechanics, and how they effect the your gameplay. Currently, they don't affect anything very much - loot, instead, is the important measure of progression - and consequently, there is no benefit to be had in keeping yourself alive if your kit's been robbed.

In the long term, this has to change. The only way to get people to value their character's life over the loot they've collected is to give some level of progression to your character's physical ability. If a long-lived character gave significant advantages in actual gameplay terms over a new spawn character, then people would be more willing to do things like wait out unconsciousness (and possibly try harder not to get into situations that render them unconscious in the first place).

The problem is inextricably linked to the character health mechanics, and how they effect the your gameplay. Currently, they don't affect anything very much - loot, instead, is the important measure of progression - and consequently, there is no benefit to be had in keeping yourself alive if your kit's been robbed.

That's not how everyone plays and sees the game, though. Some people would consider it a challenge to start out wounded and hungry and work their way back up instead of starting from a set point that you can start at any old day by deleting your character.

In the long term, this has to change. The only way to get people to value their character's life over the loot they've collected is to give some level of progression to your character's physical ability. If a long-lived character gave significant advantages in actual gameplay terms over a new spawn character, then people would be more willing to do things like wait out unconsciousness (and possibly try harder not to get into situations that render them unconscious in the first place).

Well, I kinda like knowing that I wasn't killed because I hate losing. I would consider getting out alive a form of victory over another player. Sorta. I'd still be really pissed, though.

Anyhow, like I said before: I think it would be fine if there was a way to get out of being unconscious if no one is nearby and there was a cooldown timer of at least 60 seconds. Obviously waiting 10 minutes to get up (which can happen) is just a waste of time indeed. I just don't think that getting out of being unconscious and being robbed is necessary worse than starting over.

Hm but you are O.K with the mind-numbing traveltime between towns?

I agree with you that it is no fun staring at a "you are unconscious" screen just to find out you were going to die any way but the amount of time you spend being unconscious will never outweigh the time spent walking.

I only recall one episode where I was unconscious for a very long time and at that point there was still a glimmer of hope when it came to being revived.

I don't recall saying that I am ok with the travel time :)

On weekdays, such as today, I'll log on and carefully loot a town that I'm in, then log off for the evening. Then if I have time to play tomorrow, I'll log on and loot the same town. I'll do this all week until the weekend when I have more time to explore. 

However, even if I decide to go to another town, my 10 minutes is definitely better spent walking than waiting. 

That's not how everyone plays and sees the game, though. Some people would consider it a challenge to start out wounded and hungry and work their way back up instead of starting from a set point that you can start at any old day by deleting your character.

If that were true, there'd be loads of people injuring themselves on purpose or intentionally breaking their legs just for challenge of trying to nurse themselves back to health.

It's a nice thought, but I highly doubt there are players who enjoy this experience. 

Sure they will, but IMHO if you log out during unconsciousness, your char should get killed off and you should get forced to start fresh on the beach.

Bohemia should do everything in they're power to discourage logging out during unconsciousness tbh.

Pretty sure that is already the case.  I believe logging out while unconscious kills you or am I wrong and that only applies if you are restrained?

And?  They still can do that.  No one is suggesting that going unconscious  would result in an immediate respawn.  They can hang with it and see it through to the end if they want.  I wouldn't care if I am just being robbed, I can replace the gear easy enough.  It when you get into the force feeding me crap, breaking my legs or other BS that I want to be able to just respawn.  That and I don't want to sit there for 5 minutes slowly bleeding out, only to die...

Waiting 5-10 minutes would be very annoying. Yes, DayZ is meant to be difficult and frustrating (Due to difficulty), and waiting is frustrating, but not because it's difficult - because it's consuming a lot of time where you're doing, well, nothing.

I don't see any problem with the current system, waiting 30 seconds seems fair enough, and as long as respawn doesn't work within that window then I'm absolutely okay with it.

There's no way to prevent people from logging out, as even if the logout button is disabled, there's nothing the devs can do to stop people from alt-tabbing (or running the game in a window) and killing the process in task manager. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to swap regardless, you start over as a freshspawn anyway, so you'll end up losing all of your stuff.

If that were true, there'd be loads of people injuring themselves on purpose or intentionally breaking their legs just for challenge of trying to nurse themselves back to health.

It's a nice thought, but I highly doubt there are players who enjoy this experience. 

No because there is a difference between an obstacle being placed in front of you by unforeseen consequences and sabotaging yourself.

I for one do not mind trying to nurse my character back to health. You never got out of a fight thinking you were lucky to just have survived that?

Edited by King Raptor
  • Like 1

You can be unconscious for a heck of a long time before you wake up and get instantly shot. i've spent literally 10 minutes sitting through two unconscious timers just to wake up and recieve a bullet to the brain anyway. Lets not forget DayZ is a game, we already have log-in timers whenever you have to rejoin a server, the game is already a slow-paced game what with all the running around between towns and such, we don't need to sit and watch the word "you are unconscious" for 10 minutes too, or we'll be spending more time staring at black screens than we will be actually playing the game. If people want to try and survive it they will, like I did. Some people want to just respawn and jump back in the game without wasting further time

Not to mention, leaving the server while unconscious kills your character anyway. If this wasn't the case im sure it'd be host to all kinds of exploits. so if you couldn't respawn while unconscious i'm pretty sure people would just leave the server to die.

It's a good idea but the extra time constraint isn't needed. If you want someone alive to mess with them, you'll need to sneak up behind them and handcuff them, not knock them unconscious. 9/10 times the unconscious player will get executed, have everything stolen and nothing left, or may even just get their legs broken and left in a field miles from anything else that can help them or let them respawn

You can be unconscious for a heck of a long time before you wake up and get instantly shot. i've spent literally 10 minutes sitting through two unconscious timers just to wake up and recieve a bullet to the brain anyway. Lets not forget DayZ is a game, we already have log-in timers whenever you have to rejoin a server, the game is already a slow-paced game what with all the running around between towns and such, we don't need to sit and watch the word "you are unconscious" for 10 minutes too, or we'll be spending more time staring at black screens than we will be actually playing the game. If people want to try and survive it they will, like I did. Some people want to just respawn and jump back in the game without wasting further time

Not to mention, leaving the server while unconscious kills your character anyway. If this wasn't the case im sure it'd be host to all kinds of exploits. so if you couldn't respawn while unconscious i'm pretty sure people would just leave the server to die.

It's a good idea but the extra time constraint isn't needed. If you want someone alive to mess with them, you'll need to sneak up behind them and handcuff them, not knock them unconscious. 9/10 times the unconscious player will get executed, have everything stolen and nothing left, or may even just get their legs broken and left in a field miles from anything else that can help them or let them respawn

I suggested 60 seconds, not 10 minutes... no one expects you to wait 10 minutes in front of a black screen.

Sneaking up behind someone to handcuff them is virtually impossible on Hardcore, even more so on Regular. On top of that, sneaking up behind them to knock them unconscious, believe it or not, still knocks them unconscious... resulting in the exact same discussion about a short timer preventing them from immediately respawning.

One would think that players participating in a survival game would actually want to attempt survival in one of the [very few] situations in DayZ where survival is actually difficult.

• Like 1

You should be forced to be unconscious for a bit, maybe five or ten minutes, then after that it would give you the option to respawn. Unconsciousness would still last as long as it currently does.

You think people will just sit there with a black screen for 5-10mins. Pretty sure anyone will just alt-tab out and crash anyway. I wait about 30secs and if I don't come back I assume I won't come back and respawn. 

Edited by nimmerzz