jubeidok

Minimum Players to Start

I think DayZ servers should have a min players to start condition.

- Admins would be able to chose between 50-100%

- Players will not be spawned until the min player count is reached

- This would solve all those 2-3 player servers out there where people are gearing up in an empty world

- This would help reduce hopping in the sense that you would always be hopping between half full servers and up, making the method more dangerous

- This helps level the playing field on server resets, as there will be no lone players getting a head start

- I think this would also entice players to go back to the same server after a reset, especially if they were in the middle of a good battle as they would know that players didn't have a chance to change positions before they loaded back in

- On a fresh start of a server that has new players, this would give a greater chance of players meeting and teaming up early as they are all spawning at the same time

- People wait for Battle Royale so I'm sure they would wait for DayZ

Cons? Can't think of anything bad that would come of this, but maybe I'm just being biased.

• Like 4

No one wants to wait for a server to fill up to be able to play.

Edit: DayZ and Battle Royal are two completely different game types. BR servers reset when the match is over, DayZ servers do not have matches(no jokes about box of matches please...).

Edited by ChekovP
  • Like 3

if you wanna wait an hour for a server, go ahead.

also not everyone want to play this game as a big kos battle against other players.  some of us have our hands full right now just with the unkillable zombies.

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Like 1

- Admins would be able to chose between 50-100%

- Players will not be spawned until the min player count is reached

- This would solve all those 2-3 player servers out there where people are gearing up in an empty world

- This would help reduce hopping in the sense that you would always be hopping between half full servers and up, making the method more dangerous

- This helps level the playing field on server resets, as there will be no lone players getting a head start

- I think this would also entice players to go back to the same server after a reset, especially if they were in the middle of a good battle as they would know that players didn't have a chance to change positions before they loaded back in

- On a fresh start of a server that has new players, this would give a greater chance of players meeting and teaming up early as they are all spawning at the same time

- People wait for Battle Royale so I'm sure they would wait for DayZ

Cons? Can't think of anything bad that would come of this, but maybe I'm just being biased.

Even on a full server, its still crazy easy to gear up.

Why dont you attack this problem from a different angle, like reducing the loot spawns or something.

No one wants to wait for a server to fill up to be able to play.

This times a million. I don't care what your motivation is to play this game, nobody wants to wait around. This line of thinking only makes sense in a shooter or strategy game based on short rounds of play, not an immersive world-roaming game like DayZ.

As it is, the switch to private hives will cause occasional waits when private (or otherwise hosted) servers are down for maintenance or already full. Not very often, but how often will be entirely dependent on the owner/host. My point being: let's not add frequent downtime when there's already going to be a possibility of being prevented from playing on your favorite/primary server.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

This times a million. I don't care what your motivation is to play this game, nobody wants to wait around. This line of thinking only makes sense in a shooter or strategy game based on short rounds of play, not an immersive world-roaming game like DayZ.

As it is, the switch to private hives will cause occasional waits when private (or otherwise hosted) servers are down for maintenance or already full. Not very often, but how often will be entirely dependent on the owner/host. My point being: let's not add frequent downtime when there's already going to be a possibility of being prevented from playing on your favorite/primary server.

I think you're wrong. People would wait, you would wait and it wouldn't even be long. You have to keep in mind that the only reason why you think it would take a long time for a server to fill up is because of the shear amount of people that are purposely joining low pop servers in order to gear up. Those same peeps then once geared up, move into position and log into a full server. If you don't see this as a current problem then I can only come to one conclusion, you're part of that problem. Another thing that may be skewing your perspective on this is the current state of stable servers, where most are on a reset timer of 1-2 hours so you have set in your mind that the servers would always be resetting and therefore you would always be waiting. Stable servers won't always be like this. EXP servers are currently running on a 10hr reset schedule. So you're telling me that having to wait a few minutes for 19 other players you join your 40 slot server once every 10 would be so much of a pain in the ass for you that you would stop playing the game all together? Ya, I don't think so.

Even on a full server, its still crazy easy to gear up.

Why dont you attack this problem from a different angle, like reducing the loot spawns or something.

I'm not trying to tackle the rate/difficulty of gearing up. I'm simply stating some pros that would come out of moving to this type of system. I think that you may be choosing to ignore a significant factor in why it is even easy to gear up on a full server(stable) however, and that is because more than half those players have already geared up on an empty server and have now joined a full server to go looking for trouble. You ever wonder why you can be the 40th player to join a server, being at the bottom of the list of players, and within 5-10 minutes you will be near the top of the list? This type of player turn-around on servers is unnatural and is most likely occurring due to player deaths, they now have to go back to hopping or gearing up on an empty server. So that and the servers are restarting every 1-2 hours, take those 2 elements away and I bet you'll start to find it a lot harder to gear up on a full server.

The problem that I am attempting to address with this suggestion is the ratio of full servers to near empty servers. People that are playing on empty servers are cheating both themselves and other players out of the experience, especially with the current state of zombie numbers and the ease of dispatching said zombies. With no players and no zombies, what are you really doing on an empty server? There will be no surprises, no unseen danger, no intensity what so ever. So these people are just playing to see what's behind door number 3?

I like lower population servers because I feel more lonely in them. It makes finding another player like striking gold.

• Like 2

I think you're wrong. People would wait, you would wait and it wouldn't even be long. You have to keep in mind that the only reason why you think it would take a long time for a server to fill up is because of the shear amount of people that are purposely joining low pop servers in order to gear up. Those same peeps then once geared up, move into position and log into a full server. If you don't see this as a current problem then I can only come to one conclusion, you're part of that problem. Another thing that may be skewing your perspective on this is the current state of stable servers, where most are on a reset timer of 1-2 hours so you have set in your mind that the servers would always be resetting and therefore you would always be waiting. Stable servers won't always be like this. EXP servers are currently running on a 10hr reset schedule. So you're telling me that having to wait a few minutes for 19 other players you join your 40 slot server once every 10 would be so much of a pain in the ass for you that you would stop playing the game all together? Ya, I don't think so.

And then you become that one person waiting for at least 19 other people to join. People wouldn't wait, they would rather go play something else that they can enjoy in an instant.

And then you become that one person waiting for at least 19 other people to join. People wouldn't wait, they would rather go play something else that they can enjoy in an instant.

Unless it's Battle Royale though, right? You know, the game where you have to wait for 29 other people to join, that usually takes 15-20 mins and you might only survive for 5. You would wait. You know how I know you would wait? Because you play DayZ in it's current state. Because you play a game where you don't really want to have to spend time gearing up, but you do anyways because you want to play with the rest of us. You will even go as far as to waste your own time running around on an empty server just to do so, so that you can eventually join a populated server and finally get to "start" playing the game. Ya, you would wait.

Unless it's Battle Royale though, right? You know, the game where you have to wait for 29 other people to join, that usually takes 15-20 mins and you might only survive for 5. You would wait. You know how I know you would wait? Because you play DayZ in it's current state. Because you play a game where you don't really want to have to spend time gearing up, but you do anyways because you want to play with the rest of us. You will even go as far as to waste your own time running around on an empty server just to do so, so that you can eventually join a populated server and finally get to "start" playing the game. Ya, you would wait.

Theres what, 20 or less Battle Royal servers? Also BR is a match based game, Like COD and BF4. DayZ is not. They are a completely different type of game, but now I'm just repeating myself...

• Like 1

Theres what, 20 or less Battle Royal servers? Also BR is a match based game, Like COD and BF4. DayZ is not. They are a completely different type of game, but now I'm just repeating myself...

I don't get your 'type of game' argument. Your argument seems to go like this: people will wait a period time to play a game that is shorter than the waiting period, but will not wait a short period of time to play a game that takes place over a much longer period of time. Does that really make sense to you?

And you're right, you don't need to keep repeating yourself because we've already established that you would in fact wait for a DayZ server to fill up and launch.

Sooo... If the min is 20 people, and it's at 20 people and someone leaves, that means everyone de-spawns until someone joins?

Very VERY stupid idea. 

• Like 1

I don't get your 'type of game' argument. Your argument seems to go like this: people will wait a period time to play a game that is shorter than the waiting period, but will not wait a short period of time to play a game that takes place over a much longer period of time. Does that really make sense to you?

And you're right, you don't need to keep repeating yourself because we've already established that you would in fact wait for a DayZ server to fill up and launch.

So me saying that no one would wait for as long as it would take for a DayZ server to fill up, is me saying that I would wait for a server to fill up? Wat?

There is no sane gaming company that would deny you the opportunity to play their game.  This will never happen as long as companies like money.

This is completely stupid. This is like the guy who wanted a 24 hour cooldown when you die. Frankly, I would be pissed if I had to wait for a server to reach a limit. Theres like 6 servers that are near full whenever Im on. I play on DayZ ATL servers by Vilayer, cause I never lag and its close by.

Now, theyre almost never full. But I like the non lagginess of them. So should I have to experience lag and high ping just because I cant play due to a timer? Hell no, and Id be pissed if I hosted a server and I couldnt do what all servers do: Start with a few, grow to many. Its always one or to people hop on a server, and it slowly grows. I have NEVER seen 20-40 people jump on at once to check out a new server. Hell, I just wasted my money, noone is allowed on unless its full!

And this would increase loot farming server owners, as now they are free to play alone without being shut down. Unless they cant either, in which case I would be PISSED if I wasnt even allowed to play on my own server.

These people pay THEIR own money for the servers, and unless YOU want to take over all their payments, then I suggest letting them do as they please.

Ya, I think so.

• Like 1

Really? Did you try REALLY, REALLY hard? I mean, there must be SOMETHING in you that says "Well .. Maybe this or that would be a direct result"

I kind of like the idea but it has so many flaws. I assume though that servers would fill up faster because people want the game to be running, and ALOT of unnecessary servers out there will be dead. I can't think of a better fix before Private Hives, and Private hives bring alot of advantages, like taking out looting on empty servers, but we will pay in another way for that gift. (vehicles x500%, weapons, disneyland like in epoch with cars you can never enter if you dont have the key.)

Edited by Khanarac

So basically you think I'm a tool because I disagree with you. Flawless logic. I'm not even going to reply to the rest of your post because it was made with assumptions about my motivation in playing the game (which you couldn't possibly have any insight to). Stop pretending you know me or how I play the game, and stop attacking people who disagree with a post you made in a suggestions sub-forum on the internet. This area of the forum exists to bounce ideas around; you had one, and the community gave you feedback on it. What did you expect would happen?

Edited by Tatanko

Reason and debate is something that escapes you people. You banded together and managed to come up with one con. Is that it? Any others? Because so far, the pros are greatly outweighing the cons. 

Sooo... If the min is 20 people, and it's at 20 people and someone leaves, that means everyone de-spawns until someone joins?

Very VERY stupid idea. 

What does the word "start" mean to you?

I prefer low pop servers. I'm not interested in being forced to play on 20-player servers.

As a server option I don't have much of a problem with it, but I don't think the OP should be the arbiter of how many players should be required to start a game. It shouldn't be 50% - 100%. It should be 0% - 100%. If a server  owner doesn't want server hoppers then that's their choice. If they'd rather not force the players on their server to wait, then that should also be their choice. Frankly, given the option, I imagine that most servers would opt out of the threshold. 

Reason and debate is something that escapes you people. You banded together and managed to come up with one con. Is that it? Any others? Because so far, the pros are greatly outweighing the cons. 

I'm pretty sure that the one con outweighs all of your pros, considering not a single person has agreed with you.

• Like 1

Hmm..

I like it and I don't, I think it would be good for some kind of PVP centric hive so you can't get the best guns from another server and come in you have to start new on the hive and get guns while the server is decently full.

Only for that kind of server I like it, it's so annoying when you're just trying to check out new towns or see how good new guns are and you get sniped by some douchebag miles away simply for walking around. Or every building in a new town is just full of campers waiting for you to go through the door.

I think my PVP hive suggestion could work out, on other servers we still have to suffer admins abusing loot drops but at least if PVP is what we're after they have to have 20 people or so on also.