irishroy

New DEV-blog | Questions&thoughts about it | Suggestions

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-28-july-2014

I really like this kind of new/communication. But I want to ask: Will we receive such DEV-blogs periodically or will they be sent "randomly" ?

The Rossi R93 and MP-133 are mentioned. But the Rossi 92 was confirmed. Typo?

And while these weapons are being made or already finished, I want to suggest the following things:

•  
  • Being able to saw off both guns, while being  able to choose freely which part to saw off. mci17cdy4r9t.png (Only the stock, barrel or both. (not the barrel on the Rossi, since the mag causes trouble)
  • Stock-pouch for the Rossi (just for holding ammo)

And while they are not sure, what the next weapons will be:

What about the Winchester 1895( ;)), a pocket-knife, hunting-knife (which excels at skinning and gutting animals)?

Alexei's thread

Also another thought about the persistent-storage-tent-thingy:

Why not bind the Tent to the character-account? So it would spawn and de-spawn when the player logs on and off.

(Limit it to 1-4 tents, otherwise a clan of 5-20 people and 6 tents each could decrease the server's performance severely when logging on (~125 tents being loaded simultaineously)

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Defo don't think the removal of tents when you log off is a bad idea. The whole point is that people are able to find and take your stuff. Otherwise people could just horde all the loot and if they bring in global loot table it would make finding certain things impossible. Like the other idea though :)

Edited by Timmymachine109
  • Like 1

I wonder if the crash helicopters are spawning again? 

No. Dynamic events are still disabled for the time being.

Have they gone through and tweaked all of the weapons yet or is that with next weeks hotfix?

Actually that tent idea wouldn't be bad if you develop the idea further. What about the tent stays unless you log out inside it. So if you go for a trip and you don't have time to get back to your tent you risk that someone finds it when you're not in game. So there's a little reward if you log out in your tent because you don't have to worry about what happens to your stuff then because it only appears back when you log back.

• Like 1

Needs to be better formatted, I loved the DayZDev Tumblr. This is hard to read and disjointed.

• Like 1

Needs to be better formatted, I loved the DayZDev Tumblr. This is hard to read and disjointed.

Now as you say it:

Brighter letters/text would be easier for reading, too

Omg, they got rid of the "hold G while sprinting to get up hills" glitch! NOOO!!!!!

You're welcome  <_<

• Like 2

Actually that tent idea wouldn't be bad if you develop the idea further. What about the tent stays unless you log out inside it. So if you go for a trip and you don't have time to get back to your tent you risk that someone finds it when you're not in game. So there's a little reward if you log out in your tent because you don't have to worry about what happens to your stuff then because it only appears back when you log back.

I think this is a good idea. It encourages people to set up a home and operate from it. Adds to realism. (Authenticity, whatever).

OK, did writing that report took away 15 working hours from every employee in BI??? Dont think so. Why was so hard to do these sort of reports earlier? They could make them every two weeks, even shorter.

btw, Torchia didnt say anything about SVD  :(

I think there should be a reward for logging out in a tent (perhaps some form of mitigated character decay, if it's implemented, or a small healing bonus) but it shouldn't disappear from the world just because you logged out in your tent.

Causes all kinds of problems with folks zorping in and out of existence, possibly on top of other people's tents who had assumed the area was secure because there were no other tents placed nearby.

Persistent items should be persistent. The only issue, for me, is that they appear to be trying to have it both ways. They are having things be persistent to the server (i.e. tents) but also are having things be accessible cross-server with public hives. I feel that they need to truncate the character persistence cross-server, or eliminate it altogether. Hives should be there to unify the experience and dictate the parameters of the experience. Servers should be there to designate in which "world/instance" the player's avatar exists.

Until there is a unified server architecture (like most traditional MMOs, where everyone is playing in the same "world" so to speak) then persistence in DayZ will always be flawed in my opinion.

Edited by Katana67

I think there should be a reward for logging out in a tent (perhaps some form of mitigated character decay, if it's implemented, or a small healing bonus) but it shouldn't disappear from the world just because you logged out in your tent.

Causes all kinds of problems with folks zorping in and out of existence, possibly on top of other people's tents who had assumed the area was secure because there were no other tents placed nearby.

Persistent items should be persistent. The only issue, for me, is that they appear to be trying to have it both ways. They are having things be persistent to the server (i.e. tents) but also are having things be accessible cross-server with public hives. I feel that they need to truncate the character persistence cross-server, or eliminate it altogether. Hives should be there to unify the experience and dictate the parameters of the experience. Servers should be there to designate in which "world/instance" the player's avatar exists.

Until there is a unified server architecture (like most traditional MMOs, where everyone is playing in the same "world" so to speak) then persistence in DayZ will always be flawed in my opinion.

It will always be flawed while the hive system is there, but given that it's here to stay, I think it's a decent idea.

Perhaps if the contents of the tent logs out with you, so you get a bonus for operating out of your "base", but the tent itself remains, to prevent accidentally becoming someone's next-door neighbour?

Omg, they got rid of the "hold G while sprinting to get up hills" glitch! NOOO!!!!!

That's good thank god no more unrealistic skyrim physics.

P3eBkSJ.png

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

It will always be flawed while the hive system is there, but given that it's here to stay, I think it's a decent idea.

Perhaps if the contents of the tent logs out with you, so you get a bonus for operating out of your "base", but the tent itself remains, to prevent accidentally becoming someone's next-door neighbour?

Eh, even then, you're short-changing the act of actually finding and looting a tent. Which is a great aspect of DayZ. I'm somewhat biased toward this approach, as it's primarily how I gear/geared in the mod - via other people's tents. The efficacy of one's tent placement should be based on how well one camouflages it and/or places it in relation to common player pathways. You shouldn't just get 100% (and therefore, unlootable) disappearing tents/gear just because you log out nearby.

But either way, I dislike the idea of people's loot especially just popping in and out of existence. Hence why I dislike solutions to people re-gearing after spawns that involve insta-disappearing tents and the like.

I'd like to see the bonuses for operating out of a camp be more oriented toward the forthcoming survival aspects of the mod - like bonuses to heating oneself and shielding oneself from the elements, perhaps an artificial healing bonus whilst logged out, or protection of valuable loot items from the elements.

This is a big thing that I'd like to see out of tents, whenever they get around to actually tweaking the persistent items. Items just stored in the middle of a field should degrade at a much, much, much faster rate than ones tucked away in a tent.

Edited by Katana67

Eh, even then, you're short-changing the act of actually finding and looting a tent. Which is a great aspect of DayZ. I'm somewhat biased toward this approach, as it's primarily how I gear/geared in the mod - via other people's tents. The efficacy of one's tent placement should be based on how well one camouflages it and/or places it in relation to common player pathways. You shouldn't just get 100% (and therefore, unlootable) disappearing tents/gear just because you log out nearby.

But either way, I dislike the idea of people's loot especially just popping in and out of existence. Hence why I dislike solutions to people re-gearing after spawns that involve insta-disappearing tents and the like.

Not necessarily. Finding an empty tent, because the owner had logged out with their gear, would still mean that you know where they live.

You could stay and wait, or come back later. Also, the owner of the tent might get killed, or log off somewhere else, which would mean his loot stays there for thieving gits such as yourself to find.

Scratch that - I just thought of something. I don't like the idea of "ownership" of things like tents: if they're in the game, they should be anybody's to use.

So yeah, it's a shit idea.

Edited by Pillock

Not necessarily. Finding an empty tent, because the owner had logged out with their gear, would still mean that you know where they live.

You could stay and wait, or come back later. Also, the owner of the tent might get killed, or log off somewhere else, which would mean his loot stays there for thieving gits such as yourself to find.

Right, but that means one of a few things...

1. If I find a tent without loot inside (just because someone has logged off nearby), after having trekked to/located/approached it in the first place, it's no longer a risk/reward dynamic.

2. If I find a tent without loot inside, there's no way of gauging activity - it could be that someone's logged out nearby or that nobody's put anything in the tent. I don't know whether to stick around and wait or pass it, after having trekked (ostensibly) a while to even find it in the first place.

3. Even if I do somehow know that it is an active campsite, and the person has just logged off, it opens the door to traditional spawn-camping.

4. People can disappear from DayZ for days/weeks at a time, so their having logged out near a tent buys them a potentially infinite amount of time with 100% safe loot.

5. A situation could arise wherein it's used almost like a "combat log." If I roll up on someone in a tent, and see them sitting in there with a pile of loot and they happen to see me and insta-log... then I just wasted a trip.

Again, I think tents (and specifically operating around tents) should incur some sort of advantage. Just not that massive of an advantage. Having 100% un-lootable gear, that's supposed to be persistent, isn't an acceptable advantage. People can already store copious amounts of gear in their inventories. Part of the tradeoff with being able to store more and more items in-game (that is to say, persistently on the server) is that you're more liable to lose said items. In other words, you can store more... but it's riskier.

Edited by Katana67