joe_mcentire

consider an overhaul of "Hardcore" and "Regular" servers

Right now we can witness the same "natural migration" towards regular servers leaving "hardcore" servers almost empty, scarce or even out of reach due to horrendous ping for us who love to play 1PP only.

PLEASE consider an overhaul may it even be simply by using a different nomenclature for both types to "demystify" the hardcore aspect of hardcore servers. many ppl choose "regular" just intuitively and, once used, stick to it.

so please consider a better or different at least more distinctive nomenclature or try to set incentives to "lure" more ppl into the 1pp experience.

as user RAIGPrime on reddit posted:

"... I find it frustrating not having a decent server population (20+) with decent ping (100 or less) for 1PP (I refuse to call it Hardcore) servers and I'm in Canada.
Add to this the discouraging fact that the few servers that are available are 24hrDaylight/AllTheLootz/2hr Restart. It's already going the route of the Mod. ..."

Thanks also to JStewart for suggesting to post it in here.

Ideas?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

It would be nice to have the devs keep a set of servers running themselves with standardized names and very high end equipment and call those 'official' servers.  I don't know if they can control how other people name their servers, but it seems that it's up to the admins of those servers as to how they are named and what they run exactly.

it's not about how you name your server. the game provides (so far) two different game modes: one named "hardcore" the other one named "regular" . herein lies the problem: "hardcore" is not really much more hardcore compared to "regular". the only difference is 1PP only or 1/3PP hybrid.

However many many ppl tend to chose just the regular/normal/mediocre level in almost any game, just to try it out. many however stay/get used to this mode then. The problems for 1PP players are therefore manifold: scarce 1pp servers or servers with low pop or only servers with massive ping or not even those. 

Some then will undoubtedly tend to create "special" loadouts or "circumstances" to make this scarce servers more inviting for others, which again will water down the "true" dayz experience.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

The Server Providers are obliged to put up one 'open' server run by the SP, for every X servers they rent out.

I don't remember how many rentals per one SP server, it's in the original agreement.

(sorry, I haven't searched it up)

Are these SP servers all 'softcore' ?

The names "regular" and "hardcore" stem from the same argument already ongoing in the Mod about 3pp & 1pp. The admins who decided to switch off 3pp were 'hardcore'. They already saw themselves as a minority - the Lutherians of the gaming world.

Call them 3P and 1P ??

Or 'Beginner' and 'Regular' ??

Edited by pilgrim

Call them 3P and 1P ??

to start with, why not?

at the moment we are heading the same way the mod did. "let our 3pp alone! everyone can play whatever he/she wants."

this is already not true anymore. many gamers struggle to find good and somewhat populated "hardcore" servers already at this early point in time. i live in central europe, so i guess this won't be that problematic for me, even in the future. but just think about territories like oceania or northern america or even other parts. these gamers bring up that problematic fact each and every time: that's why we have every now and then these heated discussions about 1pp vs. 3pp. the core problem is that these ppl, which want to play 1pp only, see their game somewhat "slipping from their hands". They fear to lose the mode that offers the "true essence" of this game.

I don't want to start arguing again about 1pp vs. 3pp, i simply want the devs to take countermeasures against the current trend. "hardcore", once more, is dying! do something about it. do something at least on a psychological level ("1pp server" instead of "hardcore" and "1/3PP" instead of "regular/normal" or even in the form of other "real" incentives.

LURE them into the 1pp servers! ... and i don't mean the ppl which rent servers by using "much loot, 1000 vehicles, restarts just a piss away"

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

you know you can play regular without 3rd-person, right?

you know you can play regular without 3rd-person, right?

surely you must be kidding? are you even serious?

why would i want to play 1pp only on a 3pp server?? to enjoy every possible disadvantage?

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Pilgrim, I hope you understand you are wrong? HC server providers, and the like for R servers, have no obligation at all, to put up servers in the other area. They ONLY have the obligation to keep their SERVERS OPEN TO EVERYONE.

Now, I like Regular as it allows me to see my character, and to see behind my back, as well as allow me to see the enviroment around me. I play in HC as well, infact, in non-Exp build, it is my main character. I mainly use Regular as a way to releave the stress that HC puts on me, and my squad mates, and they do the same.

As a gamer in general i tend to crank shit up to 11 (more often than not to find out that 11 is really just 10 and you need to actually complete a game once in order to really unlock 11 and i loathe that bullshit) so I'm not typically to shy away for "hardcore."
That being said, i play good old "regular" DayZ for one reason and one reason alone and i quote Zero here:

All i can say about the realism commitment is that the engine makes it lurchy as F~~k, every time you start moving its like your character has a tumble-dryer strapped to the top of his head.

It was certainly true of the mod and it still holds true in the standalone.
Don't get me wrong, i don't suffer from motion sickness or anything like that, i just find it awkward and unpleasurable, and this is with the bob cranked to GTFO mode, its still not pleasant.

I know I'm certainly not alone in this boat, some people dig it, personally like a multitude of others, I do not.
It has nothing to do with "immersion" for me, i feel just as immersed in third person as i do in first, but i grew up playing dig dug and adventure on a VCS so i had to develop the imagination to fill in a lot of the blanks.

Would a naming convention change things? i highly doubt it, just take a look at the mod where its clearly noted as "3pp OFF" and you'll see servers just as barren, naming has very little to do with it imho, its a niche group who actively enjoy the 1pp experience, always was, always will be.
A rose by any other name is still just a spade and so on.

If there was a 3pp mode that was actually "hardcore" in terms of reduced loot tables, faster and smarter zombies and increased burnout of hunger and thirst levels with smaller stomach capacity, no player crosshair and increased damage rates for instance, id be all over that like a dog eating beetroot!
That's the only feasible instance i can see there being a change of nomenclature, and I'd most likely be in a niche with empty servers because LOL-NOOBS-2HARDCORE4U-MLG-PRO-GET-REKT or something.
But id have the option to play the way i wanted to play, so screw it, id be way too busy playing to complain about people not being forced to play the way i personally enjoy playing, because i understand that people are all very different and have just as much right to play their way, irrespective of naming conventions.

Would a naming convention change things? i highly doubt it, just take a look at the mod where its clearly noted as "3pp OFF" and you'll see servers just as barren, naming has very little to do with it imho, its a niche group who actively enjoy the 1pp experience, always was, always will be.

A rose by any other name is still just a spade and so on.

However things have quite changed since then: far more new ppl (the "old" dayz-mod comm is at least in a minority by now) and still new buyers and players every day. 

It was made quite clear that many don't know the difference and just hop onto the "regular" server because they are somewhat "conditioned" to play the "normal mode" 9 out of 10 times they try a new game. They simply don't know the difference and expect hardcore to be a totally different game. so that's the first issue here. ppl don't even try 1pp servers in the first place and then simply stick to the other game mode. when in realit the difference is "just" the pov.

However i agree, this can't be the only solution. as i said at the beginning we'd also need "real" and actual incentives to play on these servers, besides enjoying 1pp only. i mean we could start to throw ideas how we could make 1pp far more appealing and inviting (maybe not for anyone) but for far more ppl. 

Edited by joe_mcentire

I think it is too early for this type of discussion. First they actually need to make Hardcore different from Standard and then new servers will pop up.

I prefer to play on Standard servers now, more players and I get to play it like a console game.

Might just add that tonight 26/07 its Saturday night 11 pm.. and on my server list without any search filter the top population on ALL servers is 6

I have about 50 servers showing 6 players, and then less and less going down the list.

I'm located in France, so I see most European servers, also Australasian, USA, et al.

I set the ping filter to 300 simply to see whats running.

If on Saturday night there is a max population (worldwide?) of 6, it's not surprising there is less than a quorum on many Hardcore servers.

Usually at 9-10 pm Saturday the internet is so overpopulated (plus 30 channels of web TV sent out by my SP) that my ping is too lousy to play.

But routinely, even after 10pm when traffic quietens down a little, the first 5 or 6 low-ping servers (France, UK, Germany) are full 40/40, with many others at 10+ or 15+ players

EDIT:  in fact this has been a temporary thing - 2 hours later I have 30+ servers listed with 40/40 population (thanx Chroma). Low populations now only in France for Saturday night. Must be some kind of "local religious festival"  ?? Plenty of 40/40 in UK, Germany, also N Europe and Spain, Russia, USA already ... just not here

There are 40/40 hardcore servers in Germany and UK I see .. but not many. Still, there are many regular severs that are running tonight with only 2-6 players.. and it only takes a thousand players worldwide to fill up 35 regular servers to 40/40 .. or continent-wide at least  ??

sorry, I'm totally babbling (shit)

Edited by pilgrim

Pilgrim, I hope you understand you are wrong? HC server providers, and the like for R servers, have no obligation at all, to put up servers in the other area. They ONLY have the obligation to keep their SERVERS OPEN TO EVERYONE.

"in the other area" ??

I think you have mistaken my meaning:

The server providers had to put up and maintain an agreed number of unrented, open servers, up front, at their own expense - to even qualify as server providers. Read up about it Santa fox. These servers (which must be maintained at a fixed proportion of all servers) are not rented to any paying admin, so they are always open to all players. They have standard names, and are often full (of course). You can see them in the server list. On the other hand, these 'no admin' SP-provided servers are where "hackers" are most likely to mess around.

Edited by pilgrim

Might just add that tonight 26/07 its Saturday night 11 pm.. and on my server list without any search filter the top population on ALL servers is 6

I have about 50 servers showing 6 players, and then less and less going down the list.

I'm located in France, so I see most European servers, also Australasian, USA, et al.

I set the ping filter to 300 simply to see whats running.

If on Saturday night there is a max population (worldwide?) of 6, it's not surprising there is less than a quorum on many Hardcore servers.

Usually at 9-10 pm Saturday the internet is so overpopulated (plus 30 channels of web TV sent out by my SP) that my ping is too lousy to play.

But routinely, even after 10pm when traffic quietens down a little, the first 5 or 6 low-ping servers (France, UK, Germany) are full 40/40, with many others at 10+ or 15+ players

Is this a one-off thing? its the first weekend of the holidays here (but only 'here'). This normally means SP saturation in my area and many players online. But not tonight.

There are 2 Hardcore servers on my list with 6 players... so this Saturday night 'regular' servers have no higher population than 'hardcore' anywhere.

A hell of a lot of servers are clan/private/kick servers now.. by far most servers claim to be 'kick' or 'members only' etc.. Maybe this has finally worn down the majority of players, who have gone looking for other games to play ? All this multitude of "private" servers have from 1-6 players (or zero), so they are not doing well .. on the other hand they are obviously doing what they want, and in the process they are destroying the unaligned player-base completely - it seems to me.

??

um...

28vaxza.jpg

im in the UK and seeing servers maxed out presently (23:45 26/7/2014) even HC's, and my filter is set to a max of 120ping several of those in France!

I think you have a problem somewhere Pilgrim :o

• Like 1

um...

im in the UK and seeing servers maxed out presently (23:45 26/7/2014) even HC's, and my filter is set to a max of 120ping several of those in France!

I think you have a problem somewhere Pilgrim :o

YES .. I see that. I checked now and have the first 30+ servers listed with 40/40 players and then a load after with 39..

Here it is 1pm, so last time I looked, and found 6/40 was 2 hours ago, maybe 2.5 ... 9:30-10pm your time.

Ok so that's cool , I was getting depressed..

What happened ? Did I miss a nuclear news event or something? Did the Queen die this evening?

(no offence, perish the thought)

Thanks, I'd given up and I was about to can it for tonight.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim