Sign in to follow this  
pccrp

Realistic doors.

I don`t know if this has been suggested before but I was thinking of giving more options of action to a door. In other words, to give them a more realistic interaction with the players and the game. My suggestions by the time are:

- The possibility of closing doors and, hence, not letting infected pass through, unless they break it.

- The possibility of locking doors, as long as you possess its key.
- The possibility of blocking a door with furniture or with a wedge, forcing others to break it to get it open.
- The possibility of breaking some doors (wooden doors, for example). You would need a tool to do it ( An axe, for example). Some doors, on the other hand, would be incredibly hard(or impossible) to open.
- The possibility of the infected breaking some doors. They wouldn`t need anything, as they are angry.

That`s quite it,for now. What do you think of it?

• Like 1

I'd also like an animation for opening and closing them

• Like 1

I like all of your ideas, and the animation one. I know they eventually plan on adding barricading/base building, so you would be able to barricade a doorway with wood or whatever that would have to be broken down to enter. Anyway, I support all of these.

Most importantly I think doors need a sound. No need for an old cranky door sound, just a sound from opening and a door closing sound, would do great for immersion. Also would help tons for figuring out if you are alone or not in a town.

Edited by EchoZeero
  • Like 1

I certainly like all ideas, question is whether the engine can handle it and make it happen, though.

• Like 2

I think that could be done by just having different door states instead of trying to model all sorts of difficult things.

Breaking down the door could be limited to just having it disappear after a few hits. Locked making it impossible to open and barricaded just giving it more health before it breaks down.

Good idea, though. The doors in this game annoy the hell out of me. I'd break 'm ALL down to get even.

Edited by King Raptor
  • Like 1

Also doors should be able to be kicked in / down ,and we should be able to use crowbars to break locked or jammed doors open .

i'd like to see destructable doors / barricades for doors.

For the more tactical approach, perhaps also a fractional open/close mechanic like Rainbow 6 series where you could (using scroll wheel) open/close door to a position you wanted, perhaps just a crack, perhaps pushing open slowly to clear at your own pace, rather than boolean open/closed. -probably a hard one for engine to keep track of every door open at 'x' amount tho :S.

I like the idea, lets just hope that infected will not be able to brake the door in 5 seconds or others unrealistic (and highly boring) time and by the way they should NOT be able to recognise a door from a wall, they should only will attack it if they see us passing through.
But zombies Pathfinding should NOT include automating finding and use of stairs or doors (brake or open them), and in this case yes door can be fragile !
Anyway nice idea dude !
Just don't forget door sound !!!

I would like to shoot through them (depending on meterial and weapon) and I would like them to make noises when opened/closed.

There were a lot of great door related suggestions in this thread.

As for doors stopping zeds... this is one of those things that I have to assume the dev team is already planning to fix... I mean, do you really think they'll keep letting zombies walk through doors in the final version?

The other ideas are decent.  I hope there's loads of destructible content in the final version, including doors.