Red_Ensign

does anyone really fish?

Thx Man :)

Will keep my Eyes open after those Ashwood Trees :D

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work, except in DAYZ. Now if i could depth charge their asses with a nade...

But i don't like offering suggestions to Bunghole Interactive as we know how futile that is.

My problem with fishing right now is how the fishing rod takes up so much space.  IRL I'd be able to strap it to my backpack along with an axe and rifle.

This is the problem for me it can take forever to find an Ashwood stick, rope and a fishing hook and you have to do away with all that space.

I think things like the hunting backpack should just have a slot for it, maybe for a bow too.

It's just so much more viable to hunt or find cans of stuff.

I mean on top of all that you need stuff for a campfire too as well as a safe place to fish and cook...

They really need to streamline this whole fishing/campfire thing.

This is the problem for me it can take forever to find an Ashwood stick, rope and a fishing hook and you have to do away with all that space.

I think things like the hunting backpack should just have a slot for it, maybe for a bow too.

It's just so much more viable to hunt or find cans of stuff.

I mean on top of all that you need stuff for a campfire too as well as a safe place to fish and cook...

Persistent storage should solve this, though.

Shoot? They are dumb, they are slow and they die from very little damage. You can just run up and punch them to death! And if you have a Fireaxe its not even childs play (Fireaxe makes any PvE trivial).

Not any more,wait for the latest experimental to drop.

I've tried it, but I am just too freaking paranoid to fish.  Makes me feel vulnerable.

Perhaps in future they will make hunting more difficult by improving the animals' behaviour to be less hilariously unrealistic. Then, while fishing might still be boring and time consuming, it'll at least be more reliable as a way of securing food.

Shit man... I must have written my message exactly at the same time than you... We both saying exactly the same thing. lol.

Shoot? They are dumb, they are slow and they die from very little damage. You can just run up and punch them to death! And if you have a Fireaxe its not even childs play (Fireaxe makes any PvE trivial).

Are you only reading other people post before quoting them ?!?

Edited by massacrorBKK

Imo the whole hunting/fishing system is gimmicky and has no place in dayz in this form. Shooting a dear in the head with a mosin destroys almost half of the eatable meat? oh come on, what minigamey kind of trash is that design? A huge deer can't even feed a single man. And it's no diffrent with fish.

Not any more,wait for the latest experimental to drop.

Whys that? Because the meleehits don't register anymore? Do you really think that's a feature?

ah..doublepost

Didn't found a Fishing Rod since yet.

Either a Ashwood Stick to create one xD

I think those Ashwood Sticks are myths o.O

Only found one since their integrated into the Game

Use axe or machete to cur Ashwood stick from the small greenleaf/smoothe grey trunk trees. Look like olive trees. Sry, too LayZ to get image.

Imo the whole hunting/fishing system is gimmicky and has no place in dayz in this form. Shooting a dear in the head with a mosin destroys almost half of the eatable meat? oh come on, what minigamey kind of trash is that design? A huge deer can't even feed a single man. And it's no diffrent with fish.

Did you have pristine/worn knife?

Otherwise you get like 5% meat or something.

• Like 1

Crafting for fishing in DayZ is porked right now

“Ashwood stick + Rope + Fishing Hook + Worm” won’t do it, need to add Ballistic Helmet   ^_^ 

Red 

Edited by RedGuard

Did you have pristine/worn knife?

Otherwise you get like 5% meat or something.

See? that's exacly what i mean. Its clearly visible that a studio designed this who did silly hunting games, not simulations. Hunting should be about finding the animal, not about how pristine your knife is OR what kind of knife it is.

• Like 1

The issue is that when I even think of finding an ashwood stick is when I'm fully energized and hydrated with a canteen and 10 canned food in my inventory.

• Like 1

Didn't found a Fishing Rod since yet.

Either a Ashwood Stick to create one xD

I think those Ashwood Sticks are myths o.O

Only found one since their integrated into the Game

Ashwood Trees grow all over mate , In and around Berezino , near the lumber mill , up near the start of the factory complex in Novo by the little pond and several other spots , but i do seem to find less and less of them as i travel west

Edited by Yano

When you are trying to roleplay as "Survivorman!", there are only 2 choices currently: Fishing and Hunting game, here are the pros and cons:

Fishing

1. Requires, Ash wood, Rope, Fishing Hook, Shovel, Knife (any kind)

2. Area: Lakes, Ponds

3. Cooking Utensils : Fireplace Kit or Portable Fire stove (with Pot or Pan attached)

Pros:

-Lakes and Ponds are everywhere and its a source of water

-Guaranteed fish caught

-You can live at a lake or pond for the rest of your life if need be.

Cons:

-FIshing gear are harder to find and Shovel takes up more space in your inventory

-Chances of getting stab in the back is higher compared to hunting

-No skin for backpacks.

Hunting

1. Requires your bare hands like survivorman! some simple weapon will do since game dies easily. Gun with scope is overkill.

2. Area: Open Fields, Farmland

3. Cooking Utensils : Fireplace Kit or Portable Fire stove (with Pot or Pan attached)

Pros:

-Plenty of meat and skin when you caught one

-Minimal to none hunting equipment required (other then knife for skinning, stabbing game is optional)

-Thrill of the Hunt (not really, until they make it something like Ellie hunting a dear in 'The Last of Us')

Con:

-On a bad day u may not find a game anywhere.

-Chances of getting spotted by Zeds and Hostile players are high.

-Will need to move around alot to find game.

I'll say, beginners start with hunting and then Fishing when decently equipped. 

• Like 1

What? Who said fishing was hard? It takes me max 5 minutes to catch 3. It's gathering the equipment that's hard though.

• Like 1

Fishing

1. Requires, Ash wood, Rope, Fishing Hook, Shovel, Knife (any kind)

Cons:

-FIshing gear are harder to find and Shovel takes up more space in your inventory

The shovel only takes 3 spaces of inventory which isn't very much imo. Also, you can gather more worms with a farming how. With a shovel it gives you stacks of 3 worms, while the farming hoe gives you stacks of 4 worms.

(Anyway, nice post!)

If fishing is something we can do without being victims of bad desync, I'm interested in fishing.   

..//..

It works pretty good in fact. All you need are the hook and the rope, you pick them up sooner or later as you wander around and you keep them - they take up 2 spaces.

When you feel like it, if you're in the mood, you go find some worms.. you just truck around until you find a spade or a hoe and you dig some worms. Then you throw the  spade away again. You can find one or the other of these implements anywhere, in low risk areas.. it's not a hassle.

Then you cut your ashwood stick. You already know where ash trees grow, because you've seen them in your travels. Once you know the tree - you know it, and once you notice where those trees are growing, they are always there every time you go paste.

You pick up the stick in your hands so as not to waste space and you creep off into the wilderness, when you get to your isolated fishing spot you craft the stuff you need.

When you're tired of fishing you recover your rope and your hook and you throw the stick away. That's why people fish with sticks in the first place.

You need a knife to prepare the fish into steaks to cook.

Cooking is the same - all you need to carry around is a stone and some matches.. You have rags already. it's not complicated. Craft it all on the ground. Keep the stone afterwards, to save yourself hassle next time (and to sharpen your axe before you light the fire).

Nice. Nothing to simplify.

[build your fire under a tree, or unexpected rain will put out your matches when you try to light it]

[your axe and your knife wear down fast. So def. keep the fireplace stone. Whe the axe is damaged and you cut down 1 tree, afterwards the axe will be Badly Damaged. Use the stone to sharpen it. Same with the knife. So your knife and axe are always Damaged , but as long as you got the stone, you're ok, you get used to it. So 1 stone and 1 matches are all you need for hunting/cooking]

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Yes! we do fish.....basically the role playing we are doing right now goes like this:

1. As a bambi...you are allowed to eat and drink until fully healthy anything you can find: cans, sodas, etc

2. Once with full health you are no longer allowed to pick up, drink anything.  Drinking is only allowed in ponds or rivers....not whells.

3. Only food intake you can have is either hunting or fishing.

4. Since animal AI is so bad right now, you can only hunt at 100 mts distance....to make it a bit challenging!.

In order to accomplish the above, you do need time and effort to craft/loot needed materials.  But really adds content and some realism to the game.  Then once you are fully geared.....go PVP or whatever you like!.

What do you need to Fish:

1. Fishing hook (have found them almost everywhere, but really hard to spot)

2. Worms! this can be obtained only in open spaces with the shovel or farming hoe.  Please bear in mind that both tools get ruined after some strokes.

3. You will need a fishing rod.  Ashwood tree is the only one providing it.  In order to chop it...you will need an ax.  Also gets damaged as you use it.

4. Fishing rod fits inside the large back-packs or subs the slot for mellee weapon....but you can use it to kill zeds also!

5. You will need rope....find it in wharehouses....

6. Craft you fishing rod: place rope in rod....place worm in hook...place hook in rod.......all set!.......

well...not quite......you need to prepare them!.....and cook it.....

1. Find a pristine knife.  This is a plus, since anything else but pristine will make you lose lots of food content. (expressed as percentages)

2. make a fireplace: either with a piece of paper or rag with sticks.

3. If you dont have sticks, craft them: chop down a tree...select the log with you ax and make thirds.

4. Matches!!!!....without them....well no fire!......

5. place the logs inside the fireplace and ignite with matches on hand.

6. Prepare the fish: one fish = 2 fillets.  Fireplace can hold 5 pieces.  Do not place the fish in the slots, but rather on top of the description of the fireplace...this way you can fit the 5 pieces

7. Wait to be cooked...I have been trialing the time that it takes for this to happen....it varies greatly from 5 minutes up to 15 minutes....weird...

8. Sit, enjoy and eat....sparkle some good conversation, beer and good company and you are set! :)

Hope it helps guys!.....cheers!

• Like 1

I dug up worms once. They gave me a weird taste in my mouth and made me feel faint.