Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Map loot markers

In-game maps are utterly worthless, especially since you can just check DayZdb.

Perhaps there could be information that only in-game maps can provide. My first (and I guess only) thought was that maybe maps could be used to point to a specific point on the map where a cache of loot is spawned - let's say it's a guaranteed heli crash site or a burnt out military convoy or something. These spawn points are random all over Chernarus and are different on each server, and don't even have a 100% chance of spawning.

Maybe you have to find a map on the server you're on in order to get the marker (rather than finding a map on another server and hopping between servers to find the high-loot spawn).

This would give in-game maps great value, and would mean that there may be some variation as to where players gravitate towards, rather than everyone homing on on the few high-loot areas that are virtually guaranteed to spawn good items.

I'm sure there could be other applications - access codes to some underground bunker or something, maybe, but my imagination is pretty limited at the moment.

I agree, something needs to be done to make in-game maps worth something. I know it is slightly unrealistic, but why not show your location on these maps only? you cant see your location on dayzdb, but if you could in-game they would be worth keeping. First time I found one I was so excited, thinking I was gonna be able to find all the military bases and stuff easily. Was sadly disappointed.

What we need is the ability to use our compass WITH the map. This is already possible in arma 2, so I don't know why it isn't possible here.

I would also like to be able to make marks on my map with a pen.

What we DONT need is some kind of easy mode cheat system that leaves waypoint markers on our hud, or something on the map that shows your exact position. This would make things WAY too casual.

Don't like it? learn to land nav....

That being said, PROPER land navigation and azimuth shooting isn't really possible with the current system.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 1

I agree, something needs to be done to make in-game maps worth something. I know it is slightly unrealistic, but why not show your location on these maps only? you cant see your location on dayzdb, but if you could in-game they would be worth keeping. First time I found one I was so excited, thinking I was gonna be able to find all the military bases and stuff easily. Was sadly disappointed.

Thats what a GPS is for, although not introduced to the standalone yet. This game isn't supposed to balance maps to other gamebreaking features like dayzdb etc. Also once you learn the map where you can look at a road sign or landmark and know exactly where you are like some of us both maps become irrelevant.

Instead of showing you possible sites and caches of things, I would like to see you be able to draw on maps. Scribble in enemy base locations and maybe caches of loot that you know of, vehicles, and even landmarks so you can better your knowledge of Chernarus. I would like to see something like that implemented near release.

EDIT: Ahhh crazykage you beat me to it, I literally submitted that seconds after you typed your response.

Edited by Golden Child
  • Like 1

Why not just put in a whole map that I can access with the press of a button instead of all the different parts that I'm never going to connect to. The way it worked in the mod was fine, the changes are terrible. /lock thread

1.) What we need is the ability to use our compass WITH the map.

2.) PROPER land navigation and azimuth shooting isn't really possible with the current system.

1.) YES! I'm able to use the compass as it is while using the DayZDB map (I really only use it because it's a complete photographic map), but being able to use the compass WHILE looking at such a map would be awesome.

2.) Haven't really tried azimuth shooting yet, but, using the method described above, I've actually been able to land nav fairly well; it may not be the PROPER method, but it works all the same. I even managed to locate the giant man found on the DayZDB map by identifying my surroundings, and anyone who has actually found that can tell you it isn't as easy as you might think.

I just want the city names on the map to be the same language as the damn signs.

I just want the city names on the map to be the same language as the damn signs.

It's a tourism map it needs the Cyrillic and the Latin. Much like you find on IZurvive haven't actually looked at DayzDB so not sure how that is. The map should automatically be marked with the position you discovered it. Then you should be able to make marks on it as mentioned as you navigate.

I also agree, that the compass should show on screen like it does in the mod along with the watch if implemented.

And this should be persistent information (IE: I rob/kill an loot you I now know the location of your stash as well as any info you put on the map)

You should be able to use a map/compass to place a temporary marker on you that will display your location according to the map for about 3 minutes tops.

There really is no compromise between the hardcore and non-hardcore players here. Either learn to triangulate, or have a permamark for your location.

You should be able to use a map/compass to place a temporary marker on you that will display your location according to the map for about 3 minutes tops.

There really is no compromise between the hardcore and non-hardcore players here. Either learn to triangulate, or have a permamark for your location.

the Map should only have a permamark for it's found location(ie: police station in cherno)

NO!

Maps in game should have NO other marks on them other than ones YOU make yourself with a pen. No automatic "you are here" indicators, no "this is where you wanted to go" waypoints.

Maps (paper ones at any rate) don't do that IRL. The only thing that should (in game) is a GPS.

I should, given a map and compass, be able to use my surroundings (identifying features like roads, distinct topography, towns/cities), deduce my location on the map, then, using the compass (WITH the map opened, like in Arma 2) identify the cardinal degree direction I want to travel and the distance between them (say, for example, I am at point A, and want to go to point B. From A, B is about 1200 meters away at bearing 250 degrees), and then, putting the map away, pull out my compass in first person, and align myself with 250 degrees, then GO in that direction 1200 meters to arrive at my destination. THIS is how you properly shoot an azimuth.

Doing it with that kind of accuracy isn't possible in game ATM. You CAN get a general idea by aligning yourself with a known, straight feature on the map, then establishing the azimuth of the line that feature is on in first person, and THEN inferring the approximate angle you need to go based on that. But because you cant view the compass with the map simultaneously, you cant be exact. And when travelling a long distance, a variation of only a few degrees at the very start can cause you to miss you mark by a LOT.

IRL, land navigation using a map and compass is actually VERY easy, especially if you are good at estimating distances visually, and have a well established pace count. But even without a pace count, its very simple. There is NO reason why it shouldn't be just as simple in game. And considering that it doesn't take all that long to go from one side to the other (usually, I don't even need a map and compass to get around in DayZ, but sometimes I wish I could shoot an accurate azimuth), frankly, needing automatic waypoint/position markers is just....pathetically lazy.

EDIT: YES, using the "feature alignment" method to establish a cardinal degree, then opening the map and using a protractor, placed on the screen, to establish the EXACT degree of travel I want to go in WOULD give me an exact azimuth. And NO, I will NOT play this game with a god damned protractor at my side...

Edited by Crazykage

It would be good to find a map with writing on it with a location circled or something. We all know what's out there from dayzdb but this would add a nice immersion factor and maybe a reason to take up a slot.

I like the idea of leading someone to a heli crash, that would make the map go from useless to one of the more highly sought after items along with the HC vest, MP5 and AK rifles.

Whoops, I think I meant to post this in suggestions. Still, it's a discussion so it works all the same.

In regards to navigation - that isn't a problem. Anybody who's played the game for 10 hours will probably start to get a pretty good idea of how the map is laid out. I've only logged 75 hours since December-ish when I bought the game, but I barely need to use the DayZdb map any more unless I come across a town that I rarely visit. Hell, Put me pretty much anywhere in-game and I'll probably be able to find my way to Stary Sobor without any directions.

As I outlined in the OP, the in-game map is totally redundant. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other items that are as worthless. The idea of having a 'you are here' marker is interesting, but I think that's the purpose of the (probably) upcoming GPS. Being able to write on your map, and being able to compare it with a compass is a really good idea, and that actually ties in pretty well with my idea of having locations pre-circled. I doubt that many players would circle their own loot stashes as they could just as easily write a reminder on a piece of paper on their desk. As such, it makes more sense to have a small chance of having markers for loot pre-circled in order to provide some incentive for players to pick up maps - plus it creates that sense of going on a treasure hunt, only instead of going to NWAF it's a different location every time.