TimF

Poll - Why aren't people playing hardcore mode

Hi all, I'm interested to find out the main reasons people don't play hardcore mode more often - seems that sometimes there isn't a full hardcore server anywhere in the world! I know this might be of limited use but more data never hurts - maybe there's some small changes that could be made to hardcore mode to get more people playing.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V8cPtV5mBmJmVsFWaKjRSnKEQr9KTzhDTNpuf2a1PpY/viewform?usp=send_form

Because there's nothing hardcore about it and movement is in no way realistic so first person just annoys me.

I prefer third person, it makes things both dangerous and easy, you can look over walls, see nobody is in a place and go loot it. But literally anyone could be on the other side doing the same thing and see you.

So it's by no means easy mode as people like to suggest, there's also hiding in bushes using it.

The only thing hard in hardcore mode is having zombies or players run up behind you and make no noise even though in real life you'd have to be deaf not to hear them, if they fixed the audio and made it realistic I might be inclined to play it. If it was also harder, more food needed, less food in the map, die faster etc.

Same as night servers, if it's not made any sort of realistic then I don't care to play.

• Like 7

Exactly. As soon as the game is polished (hopefully I'll still be alive by then xD) I will go back to hardcore. Until then, the sound, overall clunkiness of FP, and other details need to be addressed. Until then I will stick with regular, because regular is frustrating enough as it is without the hardcore annoyances

• Like 3

I kinda like both and I play them. What is annoying on hardcore is, when FPS go down, then 1st person view is becoming unpleasant.

But hopefully once new renderer is in and client optimalisations done, we could have 40+ FPS in towns with details on normal or better.

• Like 1

I'm sort of saving my Character on there for when i can play with a friend. Though It hasn't been used since the SKS was added (got one). I should probably put my char to use though.

Compare it to 1st person perspective in other games and it just isn't as pleasant an experience, plus the gankiness of the controls means that it's a lot easier to judge what is going on about you in 3rd person. 

• Like 1

Here we go again.

The reason people use third person on servers is it gives them a greater feel of awareness of their surroundings, being able to see more at once.

It's also 100% safe to look around a corner or sit ontop of a building looking down as you aren't exposing yourself at all to anyone's vision while you can see everything.

I played first person in Arma long before I played DayZ and first person doesn't bother me at all. I end up playing exclusively on first person servers because I'm very used to it and there is no sight advantage anyone has over another. Balances it out for both people.

• Like 9

There are alot og ppl playing hardcore...I can see 2-3 full servers every night...rest is scattered on the 30 ish hardcore servers I can choose from. In other words...no problem in finding a crowded hardcore server.

And 3rd person is easymode....u see through the wall, and if u see someone its easy to run away.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

I don't see a lot of hardcore servers. I also don't really know what the difference is and I doubt it would warrant spending time on two characters. Can only be in one place at once, any way.

I used to play hardcore on DayZ mod but that made sense at the time.

Here we go again.

The reason people use third person on servers is it gives them a greater feel of awareness of their surroundings, being able to see more at once.

It's also 100% safe to look around a corner or sit ontop of a building looking down as you aren't exposing yourself at all to anyone's vision while you can see everything.

I played first person in Arma long before I played DayZ and first person doesn't bother me at all. I end up playing exclusively on first person servers because I'm very used to it and there is no sight advantage anyone has over another. Balances it out for both people.

Your Marklars are wise and true!!  Have some beans!!! 

I also play exclusively on 1st person servers.  I worry about other things such as it would be nice to have an illuminated reticle for the PSO scope like the real item has. 

Edited by Xbow

It doesn't alter your FOV, it just pulls the camera back a bit.

realistic

in real life

realistic

realistic

If you want something realistic, you probably shouldn't be looking at a  VIDEO GAME.

• Like 2

I like having a more 3D look to my characters and being able to see clothing as well as weapons better. Also i like the character animations and movements for running and stuff in general over 1st person.

Also i mainly only play 1st person in games that involve Bethesdas Elderscroll or Fallout Series mainly.

Because "hardcore" isn't hardcore yet! If you use any other game with a "hardcore" mode it doesn't just limit your view to first person. Once they actually implement something that gives it a "hardcore" feeling I'll proly give it a go.

To give you an idea what I'm talking about I'll uses Battlefield and Call of Duty as an example. (Not comparing these games so please don't go there) I'll start with Call of duty when I started playing Call of Duty it was on COD4 modern warfare met the guys I ended up playing with in GTA 4 without having ever played COD4 (this was on xbox and up to this point Id avoided FPS games on console cause I was born an raised a PC Gamer) they played Hardcore only (which unlocked at level 14 as I recall) so my level 1 guy and myself having never played the game didn't know the difference. I found it too easy at first. Only took a couple of shots to drop a guy, not a lot of data cluttering up my screen (mini-map, xp bar, ammo count, inventory) it wasn't until I tried to join a server on my own I discovered the difference. The battlefield series treats it almost the same way(limited HUD, no map, no health regeneration, less starting health, increased bullet damage etc)

So I almost feel like this is the "standard" people are used to in a "hardcore" mode. I honestly all but forget I can mash my return key for a 3PP so there is usually no difference in these two modes at the moment for me. I actually normally only use third person the way I do in the Elder Scrolls/Fallout(3 and NV) series! And that's for long stretches of "hold W key now" just like every multi perspective game I've ever played the third person Camera is wonky[sic] as hell. It limits your view inside buildings and is only useful for firing from the hip combat which atm is spray and pray at best in DayZ.

If the implement "hardcore" settings like other games I'll probably play those servers for the added immersion, good example for that is Fallout New Vegas "hardcore" mode in that forced you to eat, drink, sleep, added weight to items that didn't posses weight in "normal" modes. And in all honesty felt like DayZ does now (the eating and drinking limited inventory etc).

Again that's what I think of when I hear "hardcore" mode because that's "my norm" ad again since I hardly ever use third person unless I'm running through the woods/fields between destinations this holds little difference for me. And I personally think that's why most people don't play them or don't bother because it's not yet a massive difference

• Like 1

I like having a more 3D look to my characters and being able to see clothing as well as weapons better. Also i like the character animations and movements for running and stuff in general over 1st person.

Also i mainly only play 1st person in games that involve Bethesdas Elderscroll or Fallout Series mainly.

Lol funny you should post that while I was typing about that exact thing

Because "hardcore" isn't hardcore yet! If you use any other game with a "hardcore" mode it doesn't just limit your view to first person. Once they actually implement something that gives it a "hardcore" feeling I'll proly give it a go.

To give you an idea what I'm talking about I'll uses Battlefield and Call of Duty as an example. (Not comparing these games so please don't go there) I'll start with Call of duty when I started playing Call of Duty it was on COD4 modern warfare met the guys I ended up playing with in GTA 4 without having ever played COD4 (this was on xbox and up to this point Id avoided FPS games on console cause I was born an raised a PC Gamer) they played Hardcore only (which unlocked at level 14 as I recall) so my level 1 guy and myself having never played the game didn't know the difference. I found it too easy at first. Only took a couple of shots to drop a guy, not a lot of data cluttering up my screen (mini-map, xp bar, ammo count, inventory) it wasn't until I tried to join a server on my own I discovered the difference. The battlefield series treats it almost the same way(limited HUD, no map, no health regeneration, less starting health, increased bullet damage etc)

So I almost feel like this is the "standard" people are used to in a "hardcore" mode. I honestly all but forget I can mash my return key for a 3PP so there is usually no difference in these two modes at the moment for me. I actually normally only use third person the way I do in the Elder Scrolls/Fallout(3 and NV) series! And that's for long stretches of "hold W key now" just like every multi perspective game I've ever played the third person Camera is wonky[sic] as hell. It limits your view inside buildings and is only useful for firing from the hip combat which atm is spray and pray at best in DayZ.

If the implement "hardcore" settings like other games I'll probably play those servers for the added immersion, good example for that is Fallout New Vegas "hardcore" mode in that forced you to eat, drink, sleep, added weight to items that didn't posses weight in "normal" modes. And in all honesty felt like DayZ does now (the eating and drinking limited inventory etc).

Again that's what I think of when I hear "hardcore" mode because that's "my norm" ad again since I hardly ever use third person unless I'm running through the woods/fields between destinations this holds little difference for me. And I personally think that's why most people don't play them or don't bother because it's not yet a massive difference

Or even in games like Diablo 3 and Path of exiles where gear carries over in casual mode after you die UNLIKE hardcore mode where when you DO die you loose everything. Right now every version seems like a "HARDCORE" mode at the moment.

Because there's nothing hardcore about it and movement is in no way realistic so first person just annoys me.

I prefer third person, it makes things both dangerous and easy, you can look over walls, see nobody is in a place and go loot it. But literally anyone could be on the other side doing the same thing and see you.

So it's by no means easy mode as people like to suggest, there's also hiding in bushes using it.

The only thing hard in hardcore mode is having zombies or players run up behind you and make no noise even though in real life you'd have to be deaf not to hear them, if they fixed the audio and made it realistic I might be inclined to play it. If it was also harder, more food needed, less food in the map, die faster etc.

Same as night servers, if it's not made any sort of realistic then I don't care to play.

I don't see how OBE mode is more "realistic" than hardcore. o.O

I'll assume most people don't play hardcore because they can't play casually then.

• Like 1

I play hardcore for one reason.

So people have to expose them selves to look over walls/rooftops/out of windows/etc.

It sickens me that people find it "ok" to be able to sit in complete safety and still have overlook. It doesnt belong in a game like this.

• Like 14

While there is a group using the Oracle head get to produce a real life Over the Shoulder perspective (essentially two cameras mounted on a pole in a backpack fed of the oracle head gear producing a third person perspective) the difference between "hardcore" and "core" DayZ is a perspective. Honestly with the way combat is set up third person in most multi-perspective games is "harder" than first person. It gives you less depth perception for melee and (short of the Long Rang Scopes also haven't intentionally tried to ADS from 3pp so only know how it effects aiming with an LRS cause I've often accidentally right clicked while sprinting 3pp and auto scope if I stop) has no ADS.

The point here is that "Hardcore" should feel, well harder! Up until we have options that say stop loot spawns, limit "fresh" food spawns and medical supplies, as well as increase food/water need. There is a limited difference in these modes. I don't think he was trying to imply obe/3pp was more realistic just that until something makes hardcore, hardcore it's not really a challenge.

I'd also like to point out that lean is highly underused because of 3pp having been absent from PC gaming for a number of years Id forgotten how freaking awesome it is to be able to lean around a corner before blindly blundering around it or using highly ineffective methods like "slicing the Pie" (aiming past the corner and sidestepping around it effectively giving you a small view of each area before fully exposing yourself, great for clearing corners in real life not so great in video games)

Excepted that 3rd person view make melee combat easier, most AAA games that have melee usually have 3PP too, sometimes even just for melee weapons.

I'll assume most people don't play hardcore because they can't play casually then.

With the current difference only being POV that's a debatable point having spent years playing mainly FPS game I can have a casual go anytime I want I treat it just like any other First Person game.

I play mostly in first person because of how terrible the third person camera is. See my original response for greater detail of what I envision when I think "hardcore" and how I feel it's the industry norm for "hardcore" mode.

At the moment there is no major difference besides the camera view. I also think as development moves forwards "hardcore" will see a massive overhaul giving it a reason to be called such

With the current difference only being POV that's a debatable point having spent years playing mainly FPS game I can have a casual go anytime I want I treat it just like any other First Person game.

I play mostly in first person because of how terrible the third person camera is. See my original response for greater detail of what I envision when I think "hardcore" and how I feel it's the industry norm for "hardcore" mode.

At the moment there is no major difference besides the camera view. I also think as development moves forwards "hardcore" will see a massive overhaul giving it a reason to be called such

Well it's my belief that they should just remove the damn 3rd pov camera, this is a relic from Arma's difficulty settings.

• Like 2

Excepted that 3rd person view make melee combat easier, most AAA games that have melee usually have 3PP too, sometimes even just for melee weapons.

In some cases yes in other cases such as Bethesda it took them three games to get it right! Third person in Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion might as well have been called swing and pray mode, in Fallout 3 it was clunky the camera(much like in SA right now) made walking in doors feel like you'd rather play resident evil 1 on the playstation and by the time we got New Vegas only mad in door walking feel right Skyrim was a crowning achievement IMHO for third person, I couldn't tell you if is just gotten used to it or if they found the right angle to give you the depth perception needed to land strikes from the OTS view but it actually works (not that I play 3pp anymore on Skyrim than I do DayZ old habits die hard I guess?) I haven't played a whole lot of other third person melee games so I may have a limited view (no pun intended) on the matter

Well it's my belief that they should just remove the damn 3rd pov camera, this is a relic from Arma's difficulty settings.

Eh? I could go either way with that, I can see where it's handy honestly running through open terrain I find more visually pleasing in third person because I can see more of the country side, with the number pad look around option I find in open terrain that my back pack obscures my back left/right so rather than stop and turn it helps me see if I passed the landmark I was looking for. But as a First person player it makes melee combat harder for me because I misjudge distance between tip of weapon and Zed I never use third person to fire guns with and I honestly do use it for "peeking" because Frame per second drop is bad enough in cities without having to render my character model. (See my previous response about be elated I can lean lol) so over all it neither adds to nor hinders my immersion as it's only a visually pleasing view for me when I'm in "hold w until point B is reached" mode, if the added the ability to say pull out your compass in third person and have it appear in a mini-map esque position on my HUD I might be able to see an advantage but otherwise it doesn't do all that much for me