Sign in to follow this  
MONKAYPOO0

Anyone like the idea of a more complicated reloading system?

Hey up,

I just had a thought about the reloading in games, just pressing the R button.  What would people think to something much more complicated?  I've fired a few guns and reloading can be fiddly.  Bbf3/4 adding and extra click to cocking snipers but I was thinking something far more complicated.

Have the number pad as the reloading section.  For the revolver; you could press minus for extracting bullets.  Then cycle through pressing 1-6 to remove each bullet, then press the + button followed by the numbers.  If you had a speed loader you could press + and then 'enter' instead of 1-6.  Since most guns reload differently the number pad can have different combinations as well so you have to learn how to use your gun.  M4; maybe 4 & 6 to grab the mag, 1 & 3 to pull it down.  Reverse to add a mag and then 7, 8, 9 to cock it.

Anyways say what you think!  I can imagine most people might find it faffy but it could make combat more interesting, make u switch to your side arm instead as its quicker.

• Like 1

1st, i never reload while pressing R, its always like hitting the wrong magazine. so i use the drag and drop in the inv even in intense situations.

its not that bad idea, but the way you like to see it, seems way to complicate to me. some things will be gamebreaking, if you make them to complicate.

imagine the walking in dayz, why should we just press "w" for walking forward? why not switch between Q + E for every footstep and if you want to run, you just need to press n for breething in and m for breething out. some things should stay as they are :) maybe just remove the hotkey for reloading :)

Usually with the revolver in game you just hit an extractor which, in theory, dumps all the unfired casings out.

Also I think you should check this game out if you want that much detail in gun handling.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234190/

• Like 1

lol good point.  I was just thinking of making guns more than just point and click but your right, it maybe just too much.

I like the idea og having to empty the gun manually, like the revolver and the Blaze, but it might be a tad to much for this game tbh.

Usually with the revolver in game you just hit an extractor which, in theory, dumps all the unfired casings out.

Also I think you should check this game out if you want that much detail in gun handling.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234190/

Seen that before a while ago, quite clever.  Shame it isn't really a game, put those mechanics into The Last of US, now that would be cool.

I actually really like how the game does reloading right now. Having to load the SKS through the inventory if all you have are loose rounds, but a shortcut with stripper clips using R. Same deal with snaploaders.

Maybe that's a bit too much detail, this game's focus is not on the guns.

There are already many topics on this and it belongs in the suggestions sub forum anyway.

What bothers me most about DayZ is the way it tries to make everything more difficult by the use of buttons and the way you interact with the world. It's just so clunky.

Why would I be given the option to reload my gun when I just want to open a door or climb down the stairs?

If anything, they should clean up the input/interface/whatever.

It seems to me a bit too much as well.

But I'm agree it should be a bit more complicated. Maybe the animation could take more time (different of COD where your avatar is able to reload in half a second). Maybe you should only have the dragging option in the inventory interface and no "R" button.

I think for removing and filling mags with ammo, there should be an animation (that you could cancel of course) because I can't believe you can load a 60 rounds magazine as quick as it take for click and drag. This would give some better chance to survive for people who get well prepared. We could as well have some interesting team situations : "cover me, I need reload !!"

no why making this game too complicated takes the fun out of it. this is why alot hate many changes already.

keep things fluid and simple.

dev ideas can be great on whiteboards shit ingame.

Increase the time it takes to load a magazine unless you have stripper clips.

No other adjustment needed. 

Edit: Might as add loading animations too. It's way too ridiculous to instantly top off a 75 round drum mag. The ammunition counter should go up gradually matching an animation, not instantly.

As of current, you only need a total of two or three magazines since it's piss easy to grab ammo and load them in combat. Militants tend to carry as many magazines as they remotely can, in contrast.

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 1

1st, i never reload while pressing R, its always like hitting the wrong magazine. so i use the drag and drop in the inv even in intense situations.

its not that bad idea, but the way you like to see it, seems way to complicate to me. some things will be gamebreaking, if you make them to complicate.

imagine the walking in dayz, why should we just press "w" for walking forward? why not switch between Q + E for every footstep and if you want to run, you just need to press n for breething in and m for breething out. some things should stay as they are :) maybe just remove the hotkey for reloading :)

Or fix the hot key.  R works fine with pistols and rifles but, for some stupid reason, that frigging F key reloads rifles with magazines but not pistols.  Drives me nuts when I lose a 75 round drum mag because I thought I was supposed to be opening a frigging door.

I think the reload system should not be key-based at all.

Remove R for reload, make us drag magazines from the gun to our inventory (or the ground), and drag full mags from the inventory to our gun.

This simulates reloading as accurately as possible outside of making everyone buy full-body VR suits and VR goggles.

First of all, it simulates the bad situational awareness you have when you are reloading. You need to be safe to reload. You cannot merely press a button while you are still maintaining full visual awareness. In reality, reloading is an action that requires your attention. You cannot just press a button and have a machine do it for you while you scout the area.

Second of all, it simulates the frantic fidgeting while you are manipulating your firearm. You can choose to do a 'speed reload' by frantically dragging the magazine to 'vicinity' instead of trying to find space for it in your inventory. This simulates a speed reload in real life.

Thirdly, it will somewhat narrow the balance between internal-magazine and external box magazine firearms in DayZ currently. If they also fix the magazine system to allow for weapons like the Mosin to be topped off, they will be much more useful compared to the current state of the game.

All in all, making reloading a more risky and realistic activity would serve to differentiate the gunplay in DayZ from run-of-the-mill CODBLOPS720NOSCOPE games, and make firefights much more intense.

Edited by wartzilla
  • Like 2

Eh, what you're describing is too complicated in my opinion. Lest we forget, complex =/= complicated.

I think R should be the main key to initiate reloading (all reloading). With magazines, the benefit is that you've only got to press R once to reload. Without one, you've got to press it many times (whether to chamber a single round in a magazine-fed weapon or to chamber multiple rounds in a clip-fed or en-bloc weapon).

There's enough people turning away from this game because cant handle the glitches. Adding that amount of complication will drive more away. Hackers would rule the world with their unlimited ammo whole youre attempting to load one single bullet. Maybe having that as a hardcore gaming mode?

Sorry, double posting from mobile by accident.

Edited by Poster

Yes.

Make reloading more difficult.

I'm sure it will make it MUCH more real......

Just like the fact that we're totally defenseless when eating/drinking and have to suffer through an entire animation sequence/series of commands just to stop said action to defend ourselves...

I would love for someone irl to even smell of aggression around me whilst I am in the act of drinking a freshly purchased hot coffee - you can imagine how that would end.

The last thing we need in this game is more clunkiness. We NEED to be able to defend ourselves regardless of whatever action our animation sequence has us locked into.

Those "realists" out there ought to be the first to jump on this bandwagon as it is about as unreal as any aspect of this game imaginable.

Yes.

Make reloading more difficult.

I'm sure it will make it MUCH more real......

Just like the fact that we're totally defenseless when eating/drinking and have to suffer through an entire animation sequence/series of commands just to stop said action to defend ourselves...

I would love for someone irl to even smell of aggression around me whilst I am in the act of drinking a freshly purchased hot coffee - you can imagine how that would end.

The last thing we need in this game is more clunkiness. We NEED to be able to defend ourselves regardless of whatever action our animation sequence has us locked into.

Those "realists" out there ought to be the first to jump on this bandwagon as it is about as unreal as any aspect of this game imaginable.

You wouldn't be 'stuck in an animation loop' in my suggestion. You'd be in the inventory dragging stuff. Just like today you'd be able to tab out of the inventory and do stuff at any time.

Yeah, that bothers me as well.

I don't understand why the game has to be so clunky/unforgiving about these things.

Other FPS games just handle it by playing an animation like you'd reload a gun but DayZ seems to want you to kind of be part of the environment when you do it which makes it needlessly complex. Not to mention that a lot of times things just go wrong because the whole interface just doesn't work right. It seems to me like that could all be resolved by not weirding up the item interaction ...

I really don't think DayZ's 90's-approach is a good thing, if anything it is severely user unfriendly. I also do not think they will ever correct that seeing as how it has been that way in every ARMA game as far as I can tell.

You wouldn't be 'stuck in an animation loop' in my suggestion. You'd be in the inventory dragging stuff. Just like today you'd be able to tab out of the inventory and do stuff at any time.

It is an FPS game so you really should have a reloading hotkey.

The problem with videogames is that you are always trying to overcome the inherent limitations of not being able to use your own hands and legs thinking "In real-life, I could do this .. Why can't I do it in this game?"

So everything should be as fluent as possible, especially in a game where you only have one life. Having to spend too much time in your inventory dragging stuff around when you have an entire keyboard to your disposal to mimic actions you would perform in real-life is a waste and would just lead to frustration because the game doesn't pause when you're in your inventory.

Hey up,

I just had a thought about the reloading in games, just pressing the R button.  What would people think to something much more complicated?  I've fired a few guns and reloading can be fiddly.  Bbf3/4 adding and extra click to cocking snipers but I was thinking something far more complicated.

Have the number pad as the reloading section.  For the revolver; you could press minus for extracting bullets.  Then cycle through pressing 1-6 to remove each bullet, then press the + button followed by the numbers.  If you had a speed loader you could press + and then 'enter' instead of 1-6.  Since most guns reload differently the number pad can have different combinations as well so you have to learn how to use your gun.  M4; maybe 4 & 6 to grab the mag, 1 & 3 to pull it down.  Reverse to add a mag and then 7, 8, 9 to cock it.

Anyways say what you think!  I can imagine most people might find it faffy but it could make combat more interesting, make u switch to your side arm instead as its quicker.

Someone has just discovered Receiver methink.

One of the things I've noticed with DayZ is that it assumes that everyone is simply just bad at everything. Period.

Ive been shooting. Various hand guns and assault rifles. Reloading isn't a chore of any kind. Spend an afternoon at a range and swapping out a mag will become second nature.

"Realism" is cute and quaint. But for some reason, in video games, its readily assumed that people are complete and utter morons wrapped in idiots. And while I agree, they generally are; when it comes to basic motor function, they really aren't.

Some things in this game are exceptionally complex: ie, having to put a matchbox in your hands to light a fire. Yeah, no shit you have to do that in reality. However, it takes much longer in a video game than it seriously would take me to do in reality. Why? Videogame Realism.

• Like 1

One of the things I've noticed with DayZ is that it assumes that everyone is simply just bad at everything. Period.

Ive been shooting. Various hand guns and assault rifles. Reloading isn't a chore of any kind. Spend an afternoon at a range and swapping out a mag will become second nature.

"Realism" is cute and quaint. But for some reason, in video games, its readily assumed that people are complete and utter morons wrapped in idiots. And while I agree, they generally are; when it comes to basic motor function, they really aren't.

Some things in this game are exceptionally complex: ie, having to put a matchbox in your hands to light a fire. Yeah, no shit you have to do that in reality. However, it takes much longer in a video game than it seriously would take me to do in reality. Why? Videogame Realism.

The door swing both ways: Spend an afternoon with a detailed reloading system and it might become second nature too.

I do not see anything wrong in raising the controls complexity (within reason). More things to become better at.

nah.

many things they could add diversity and complexity to. Reloading your bullets is not one (unless you're talking about fabricating rounds from spent cartriges :) )