Bigbadchuck

The lone wolf

I am a loner. I roam from town to town doing my own thing. I come across other people from time to time and always approach as a friendly. I will call out to you and let you know I'm friendly. As a loner I usually have some extra ammo and food or bandages to trade. I won't group up with you. If you are headed the same way I am I will head somewhere else. I never camp anywhere. I don't know why some people get agitated that I won't group with them. I am willing to trust strangers somewhat but am also completely willing to Kos if I feel threatened or just have a bad feeling about you. Am I the only one content to spend the apocalypse alone? I just don't see any benifits to being in a group. I am a lone wolf and love it.

• Like 13

I can't lone wolf anymore like i used to. It just gets so lonely.... :(

I never refer to myself as a "lone wolf" but I almost never run with other people and usually that happens as a result of conversation outside the game. when I spot other players I keep a keen eye on them to determine their intent and then head off in the opposite direction. I don't bother with any up close interaction as I see other players the same way I see the zeds, they are just obstacles to my survival and I have about a 75% survival rate from those accidental up-close encounters (those are quite un-nerving I might add).

I generally don't view others from a perspective of malice however I have been known to fire more than one warning shot and a few not so warning shots. I will ignore EVERYONE that calls out to me for whatever reason but I have been known to call out a greeting when passing someone on the road (usually it goes well). I MIGHT help you if I think you need it and if it is obvious that you don't need it, I will seek to be rid of you like the plague without having to take your life. I will shoot you if you prove to be hostile and I may kill you if I have the skill to do it, if not... well I am sure you know how that goes. if I shoot, your death is my intent - I don't maim.

you are not alone in being alone. its just easier to conceal one person than it is to conceal a group.

• Like 2

I just follow people around and kill them; usually much to their chagrin. ;3

• Like 6

I prefer lonewolf survival. But I enjoy the company of friends also, because lets be honest.. you almost never laugh in DayZ when you are alone. But you almost always laugh when with friends.

The part I hate about rolling with friends is its just so damn hard sometimes to tell who is who, and the threat of shooting your friends/vice versa is very real.

Last night, I had a guy in my sights.. dead to rights. But I didnt want to shoot ManintheWall or VexVehix, who I was meeting up with in Bashnye right at that very moment.

That player got so damn lucky things happened the way they did.. he was 0.2 seconds away from a flurry of 5.56 rounds, and the only thing that saved him was timing.

• Like 1

People who want to role play apocalypse survival tend to pick lone wolf as a way to achieve this.

I had adopted a super cautious play style during the early days of the mod, which means I've played alone and avoided player interaction for most of my hours in DayZ Mod/SA.

I fancied myself a "zombie hunter" (28 days, 1,000+ kills longest run alone) for awhile and sometimes on rare occasions acted as hero/medic when the circumstances were just right. Admittedly during this time, helping new spawns was some of the most rewarding game play.

After a long time I became "lonely" in DayZ and sought "interaction" full well knowing it wouldn't end well. I didn't want to join a clan so I found a high pop server and thought I might test my luck.

Long story short, met a few legit friendlies, ran into a hacker, got teleported, mortars, died, regrouped with friendlies, took C4 from hacker box, leveled comm tower NWA, played with a couple of people from that 1 night for a few months repairing vehicles and making campsites.

These days my latest roommate happens to be an avid gamer who found he really liked DayZ and I've been lucky to play with him over the last few patches. I also bought my brother DayZ through Steam because he got a gaming laptop recently. My days of lone wolf are most likely over.

I was before the lonely wolf and I was enjoy like what you doing but now I have a good frend I am happy to enjoy with other person the fun, when I was the lonely wolf I was like you always say hello I am the friendly but in most times I was killed

• Like 1

When i pvp i like to play solo as others tend to give me away or slow me down, but when im looting or BSing i almost always roll with friends or i'd die of boredom.

I am and always will be lone wolf , tho it's some times it's annoying to be against group of 3 or more people. i see duos usually ,so many duo bandits.  i still find it funny that group of 5 end up losing to 1, man i swear to god the amount of groups thinking that they are so cool and tactical is too damn high it's like man what are you doing. and yet still they call me stupid and immature...HAH i'll be laughing at there corpses.

Edited by newberryes
  • Like 1

I just don't see any benifits to being in a group.

Your vision may change come time of the game's finished state.  ;)

-Bigger, stronger Zed hordes located especially in high-loot areas.

-You'll need some friends to get those cars running in a reasonable manner.

-You won't be able to fit all that medical supplies that will be needed in your backpack considering everything else you'll need.

There's power in numbers man!

• Like 1

I'm a lone wolf 99% of the time. The few times I've met friendlies have been great, but often (maybe 80% of the time) I can't play with a mic and it's very VERY hard to make friends without one. Thus like OP, I wander the lonely road but I try to keep it interesting. Here's some of the ways I've found to terrorize Chernarus. 

1. I'll chop down random trees across the road.
  2. I'll leave random stuff in the road. I like to do this with books a lot. Sometimes I'll make a random pile of books where they make no sense to be.
  3. I'll open doors of every building in a town and not loot a thing (making it look as if it had been picked clean).
  4. I'll loot entire towns and leave everything in the middle of the most main looking street in one giant pile.
  5. I'll leave interesting notes lying around with anything from knock knock jokes to song lyrics, to "for a good time call xxx-xxx-xxxx"
  6. I'll bring spray paint with me and paint all axes, helmets, and guns I find then put them back.
  7. I'll leave random flares and run off.
  8. I'll take extra ammo and one bullet at a time write things or draw dongs in the middle of the road somewhere in Berezino.
  9. I'll gather up all the zombies I can find and have them follow me into a building with well known/sought spawns and then camp out upstairs so the downstairs is loaded with a dozen or so zombies.
  10. I'll make splints and randomly put them on top of high places (pick them up BEFORE you fall!).
  11. I'll take off all my gear and leave it in some random easy to find place where I KNOW someone will find it and go gear up again. Merry Christmas and happy confusion! This is even funnier if I let some zombies whack me first so everything is ruined, then it's not Christmas but more like April fools!
  12. I'll whisper into my mic when people are near and make myself sound as if there's a whole squad. This is fun when doing against actual squads and seeing how they react.
  13. I'll pretend my leg is broken and crawl along the road, and when someone comes to help I'll stand up and run away screaming.
  14. I've tried jumping off water towers onto people below. If I die I'll blame them on my mic for not catching me.
  15. I'll approach someone with my flashlight drawn and tell them to stick em up, which they usually do. Thankfully the animation is the same as holding a handgun, it's hilarious how few players notice the difference.
  16. I've found someone AFK before in a room, and knocked them unconscious and removed all their gear, then left and shut the door. When they come to they're naked up they have all of their gear and need to spend time picking up each individual item again.

There are a million and one things I've found to do in game for amusement as the lone wolf.

Not all those who wander are lost...

• Like 3

Your vision may change come time of the game's finished state.  ;)

-Bigger, stronger Zed hordes located especially in high-loot areas.

-You'll need some friends to get those cars running in a reasonable manner.

-You won't be able to fit all that medical supplies that will be needed in your backpack considering everything else you'll need.

There's power in numbers man!

I don't think it was ever the intention of the devs to try and enforce team play. Granted, the game will get much more difficult, but it really bothers me when people try and suggest that everyone should HAVE to get along to survive, with zombies being the #1 threat.

If you avoid interaction (that includes PVP) you are doing something wrong with the game. It is all about paranoia, looting, spotting others before they spot you and then killing them without mercy. Thanks for beans.

• Like 1

I don't think it was ever the intention of the devs to try and enforce team play. Granted, the game will get much more difficult, but it really bothers me when people try and suggest that everyone should HAVE to get along to survive, with zombies being the #1 threat.

I wouldn't say they're trying to "enforce" it, but more so encourage it. & I wasn't saying that people will "HAVE" to team up in order to survive. I was simply implying that there ARE benefits to doing so. Just as their are benefits to lone-wolfing it. & for what it's worth I only listed the zombie threat first. It has no reflection of what I see being the biggest obstacle to the common player.

Edited by blunce

Thanks for beans.

Only because you said "thanks".  :beans:

I wouldn't say they're trying to "enforce" it, but more so encourage it. & I wasn't saying that people will "HAVE" to team up in order to survive. I was simply implying that there ARE benefits to doing so. Just as their are benefits to lone-wolfing it. & for what it's worth I only listed the zombie threat first. It has no reflection of what I see being the biggest obstacle to the common player.

Ah, okay. I must've misread or misinterpreted what you were saying then.

It does bother me a lot when people suggest that zombies need to be more threatening than other players with guns. They want a game where everyone is essentially forced to work together by everything but their own free will.

If you avoid interaction (that includes PVP) you are doing something wrong with the game. It is all about paranoia, looting, spotting others before they spot you and then killing them without mercy. Thanks for beans.

you play your way and I'll play mine but don't EVER tell me I am playing it wrong else I might have to hunt you down and kill you without mercy after which I will troll you so hard in direct that you will retire from the game for a week to recuperate.

god I love a game without rules.

• Like 2

you play your way and I'll play mine but don't EVER tell me I am playing it wrong else I might have to hunt you down and kill you without mercy after which I will troll you so hard in direct that you will retire from the game for a week to recuperate.

god I love a game without rules.

Crushing peoples ego's is always 1000x better than killing them senselessly. ;)

• Like 2

Ive been a lone wolf since I started playing. Then my friend picked up the game and we decided to head to berinzino for some sniping the bam hacker kills the toon I've had alive for 2-3 months. Since then I've just been running around on the coast collecting books and hats.

Crushing peoples ego's is always 1000x better than killing them senselessly. ;)

I agree. I still hold this as a gold standard on how it's done...

I love both, when i'm playing alone and on low pop servers, I love the mixture of chill where I can let my mind fill the whole surviving the apocalypse fantasy, encounters become  adrenaline fueled.  where as imma rolling with a group at the weekend and that's going to be all about looking for trouble on high pop servers which is different and lots of fun too.  

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

I love how even on low pop servers, if you're in the right areas you will still run into one of the few other players on the server.. 

I was playing with Vex Vehix and ManintheWall last night, and on my way to meet up with them at Bashnye, just north of the NWAF, I ran into another player.. there was confusion on if it was my friends or not, so he ended up living to loot another day (lucky him too, I had my 60rd. 5.56 mag aiming right at him twice, and all he had out was his FNX in hand). There must have been about 4 other players on the server at the time, and Bashnye is just not a common place to run into people.. but he probably heard my footsteps, and I was stalking him for a moment before I realized that the chances of shooting my friends on accident were high, and his pursuit was not worth it.. 

Either way, lonewolf of grouped up, this game is just great.. but if you have never played with a few others that are like minded, you're missing out on the full experience. There is just nothing like running the NWAF with a few friends, feeling like you own the place, knowing you could die at any moment.. priceless ;)

I lone wolf it most of the time. I don't care for large clans or any of that these days because I did all that when I was big into FPS games. I like to keep the numbers low as it keeps the chat confusion and possibility of friendly fire to a minimum. So at most I play with 3-4 friends. However I always make it a point to play on medium or high pop servers usually on hardcore for the immersion and to keep the paranoia turned up to level 11. I don't hide deep in the woods in the middle of nowheresville either but I'm there, watching you, always :).

Edited by haknslash

I love how even on low pop servers, if you're in the right areas you will still run into one of the few other players on the server.. 

I was playing with Vex Vehix and ManintheWall last night, and on my way to meet up with them at Bashnye, just north of the NWAF, I ran into another player.. there was confusion on if it was my friends or not, so he ended up living to loot another day (lucky him too, I had my 60rd. 5.56 mag aiming right at him twice, and all he had out was his FNX in hand). There must have been about 4 other players on the server at the time, and Bashnye is just not a common place to run into people.. but he probably heard my footsteps, and I was stalking him for a moment before I realized that the chances of shooting my friends on accident were high, and his pursuit was not worth it.. 

Either way, lonewolf of grouped up, this game is just great.. but if you have never played with a few others that are like minded, you're missing out on the full experience. There is just nothing like running the NWAF with a few friends, feeling like you own the place, knowing you could die at any moment.. priceless ;)

gotta be honest with you Irish i've never really enjoyed living in the NWAF and i've known groups of players who take that seriously.  The reason being too much randomness can beam in when there is a cluster fuck raging, attacking is a bit of fun but the same deal - my fav has always been starry it's a shame it has none of it's former glory, i'm hoping it kinda turns into a hot spot for helo crashes, there really is no need for half the spawns they are using wasting them on the likes of balota and NWAF which are already big ticket venues..