rrguy2000

Cars in Dayz Standalone

When the standalone came out they said that cars will be here in the summer and it is currently the summer so i was just wanting some cars

Summer in what hemisphere though? It's not summer in Dean's home country New Zealand yet.

And, just where do you think you are gonna hide a persistant item like a car while you are off line?  It stays in the world after you have logged out you know.  It sure as hell won't fit in a back pack...

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

When the standalone came out they said that cars will be here in the summer and it is currently the summer so i was just wanting some cars 

its not summer in australia, aka, where dean/myself are.

i'll ride my kangaroo over to his house and let his koala know to tell him that it's summer. 

"crap like limited car parts, running and trying to find them" 

I think you may be confusing this game for something that it is not currently nor will be in the future.

Nope, cars you find will be broken. Then you have to run to 1 town to find parts, if you find no parts in that town, on to the next one...

I hope there will be support for user mods (like a mod that increases max num of vehicles and vehicle spawn points and spawn chance) so we don't have to deal with crap like limited car parts, running and trying to find them.

Devs have already stated that they wont allow people to alter the loot tables, and i think its safe to say that includes vehicles.

There would be no point in making a global economy, if they wanted to give people the ability to create "1000 vehicles" servers.

And, just where do you think you are gonna hide a persistant item like a car while you are off line?  It stays in the world after you have logged out you know.  It sure as hell won't fit in a back pack...

maybe you can take a wheel off another car and its engine ect so take bits off into backpack

Well, if you dont like running around, this might not be a game for you.

Even with vehicles, 90% of all players will still be forced to run around, as we wont have 100's of vehicles per server, and some of the parts needed will, most likely, become globally controlled, meaning only a specific amount of parts will be in the game, and if someone else found it, you will have to steal it from them.

Only the developers knows when we will get vehicles, but they have stated it wont be anytime soon and it will be a pain in the arse to maintain it and keep it running.

So dont expect to find a car easily, let alone drive one and maintain it.

Aside from the obvious performance reasons. I can't see any logical reason why there would only be a few cars in a server. 

There are hundreds of cars even in small towns. If 95% of the population were to die in some kind of plague I can see no reason why they would mostly stop working all together. Some might need repairs, but its not like a massive flood or tsunami has wrecked everything.

I think fuel should be the limiting factor. One can imagine fuel would run out in this kind of scenario. In essence I think lots of cars would actually make sense, but with not much fuel.

Aside from the obvious performance reasons. I can't see any logical reason why there would only be a few cars in a server. 

There are hundreds of cars even in small towns. If 95% of the population were to die in some kind of plague I can see no reason why they would mostly stop working all together. Some might need repairs, but its not like a massive flood or tsunami has wrecked everything.

I think fuel should be the limiting factor. One can imagine fuel would run out in this kind of scenario. In essence I think lots of cars would actually make sense, but with not much fuel.

In a real life scenario, it would make sense yes, but in a video game like this, im not really sure.

As i see it, finding a vehicle to repair in DayZ, should be like finding the holy grail.

Im not sure how awsome it would be to find a vehicle, if every other one was functioning, even with limited fuel, as most of them would most likely still have some left in them, in the scenario you describe.

I would how ever expect, almost, that the part we need from vehicles, could be found in the abandoned ones around Chernarus.

Theres no logic in making all vehicle parts spawn as loot, in piles, in workshops and garages around chernarus, some of it should be retrievable from the wrecked vehicles imho.

In a real life scenario, it would make sense yes, but in a video game like this, im not really sure.

As i see it, finding a vehicle to repair in DayZ, should be like finding the holy grail.

Im not sure how awsome it would be to find a vehicle, if every other one was functioning, even with limited fuel, as most of them would most likely still have some left in them, in the scenario you describe.

I would how ever expect, almost, that the part we need from vehicles, could be found in the abandoned ones around Chernarus.

Theres no logic in making all vehicle parts spawn as loot, in piles, in workshops and garages around chernarus, some of it should be retrievable from the wrecked vehicles imho.

I see your perspective, and perhaps I just have high hopes for the game, but I think it would be really cool if fuel became some kind of economy. Something that would not work without easy access to cars.

I definitely think that at least they should try to encourage trading and the development of economies. I think by having the other player's hands in the vicinity section as a means for a trading system would be awesome. Unfortunately this would require a bit of an attitude change from players, that we may never see. Unless of course fuel was stored in Jerry cans that could be pierced by bullets, in which case shooting someone would be a risk that might lose you valuable fuel.

You hide them in the woods and cross your fingers they dont get found. Have you not played the mod?

Vehicles are a key part of the game

Yes, there is no real DayZ without vehicles.

Edited by KiskilleAcronym
  • Like 2

Devs have already stated that they wont allow people to alter the loot tables, and i think its safe to say that includes vehicles.

There would be no point in making a global economy, if they wanted to give people the ability to create "1000 vehicles" servers.

Maybe in a later future they will add something called "private servers" that are not connected to the hive and to the global economy. Items you find on that server stay on that particular server.

Vehicles are a key part of the game, the trick is to make them rare, difficult to maintain and a chore to fuel.

Agreed. No DayZ without vehicles.

There are light vehicles going to be implemented like ATVs and bicycles that are easy to maintain, but they lack speed.

Other vehicles are military and civilian motor.

Edited by KiskilleAcronym

So we now know the first vehicle will be a big-ass V3S. I would assume finding all the parts to fix that beast will take a lot of time and footwork. Not to mention the fuel consumption...I'm digging it.

For me, the most important thing about vehicles isn't to have a vehicle, it's the process of finding and fixing it. It gives you a goal, something to do, with a purpose. No more twiddling thumbs once you have the gear you want or need. We've a few of those things coming. We've got horticulture on the way...and while it's currently not really necessary, cause it's not hard to find food, it's still something to do. Same thing with the barricading that will follow. 

I remember the times of the mod, just vanilla, no anypoch, with limited vehicles. We had quite a few cars and trucks over time, but we still often went on foot. We only used the vehicles when the whole group was together. But the yells of excitement in TS when someone found a car for the first time...and the journey to find all the parts, these were the moments that made the mod glorious. Not to mention all the battles we had with other clans about a damn Ural. I think that thing traded owners about a dozen times, always with a bloody battle attached to it.

Maybe in a later future they will add something called "private servers" that are not connected to the hive and to the global economy. Items you find on that server stay on that particular server.

Well we know for sure we are getting "private shards", but we also know for sure we wont have any kind of database acces or acces to the loot table, on those servers.

The question is, do they want to completely release the server files for "true" private servers, like we have in the mod. Im not really sure.

Dont get me wrong, i love private servers, and the ability to create a community, i did that in the mod and loved it.

But it also has the potential to completely rip the community apart, because we will get the exact same server hell and abussive admins, as we have in the mod.

By releasing the server files to the public and giving us complete control, like in the mod, they are basicly saying we can do what ever we want, and very very few people can handle complete freedom, without abusing it in some way.

Even though the private shards arent connected to the public HIVE, it will still be under the influense of global loot economic, meaning Bohemia will control exactly what vehicle and how many parts will spawn. They will most likely still make the military land and air vehicles rare as hell, and extremly difficult to maintain.

• Like 1

The day z mod had vehicles so why is every one saying that this game was based around walking everywhere???

Please specify when you say "DayZ Mod".  Do you mean "Epoch"?  Which has nothing to do with the concept of DayZ and should not even be associated with it.

• Like 1

The day z mod had vehicles so why is every one saying that this game was based around walking everywhere???

I durped....

but than i kept Walking...

Tried vehicles and dropped them. Maybe a bicycle but in my experience, vehicles just get you killed and you can be almost anywhere in 20 minutes on foot with a much better awareness of your surroundings.