Kill3rCat

Removing the 'Hide body' option

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why this is still in the game...

Situation: Me and friend were at Novodmitrovsk, the new town in the North-East of the map. Some guy running along the railway tracks with an AKM catches me off-guard and kills me. I should have been more alert, but that is not the point I intend to discuss in this thread. My friend runs into the trees and takes a few hits, but he gets away and continues to watch my body. The murderer stoops down as if to loot my body, but within half a second he then runs away. My friend reports my dead body full of hard-earned loot sinking into the ground. Most of it was fine. In fact, if he had bothered to loot it instead of instantly hiding it, he'd have got a lot of AKM ammo, a 30rnd AKM mag and a 75rnd Drum Mag. It would benefit everyone to remove the 'Hide body' option from the action menu, and it would increase immersion. In a real life, nobody can simply delete a body. Plus my friend could have looted my body after the KoS bandit had moved on, as he had very little gear and could have benefited from my misfortune..

On the other hand, the devs could allow the option to 'Bury' with a shovel that plays a 5-minute animation. That is GENEROUSLY short.

Edited by Kill3rCat
  • Like 3

I mean, with the changeover to the "infusion" engine, it stands to reason that any and all parts of the game could be revamped.

They've already stated they intend to do away with completely the scroll wheel action system, so I would assume this means "Hide Body"

Considering they want to make chopping down a tree done by simply swinging at it, I would assume hiding bodies would require you to drag them somewhere hidden.

• Like 2

In what way would it benefit everyone?

Your typical KoS bandit might take the time to loot the dead bodies and find some loot worthwhile.

And if the body is not hidden, then other people can still loot it and perhaps get a bit of gear themselves.

Edited by Kill3rCat

Your typical KoS bandit might take the time to loot the dead bodies and find some loot worthwhile.

And if the body is not hidden, then other people can still loot it and perhaps get a bit of gear themselves.

So, essentially, it's about getting gear? 

So much more than just gear. Imagine walking into a building after a firefight. I want to see the dead bodies everywhere...

Or a horde of zombies attack a group and you see zombies and players bodies laying everywhere. It just adds to the game. Not to mention if you stumble across this at night...

There is so so much more to the game than loot, and something like this will add to it.

So much more than just gear. Imagine walking into a building after a firefight. I want to see the dead bodies everywhere...

Or a horde of zombies attack a group and you see zombies and players bodies laying everywhere. It just adds to the game. Not to mention if you stumble across this at night...

There is so so much more to the game than loot, and something like this will add to it.

Oh, I am perfectly aware of the realism factor, but I was referring to the OP's reason for posting.

I think that the concept behind "make sure this gear doesn't fall into the wrong hands" is perfectly okay. But I do feel that a way to "interrupt" the process, or force the hider to expose themselves a bit would be perfect. Requiring a shovel is a good idea, but the penalty of carrying one is large enough to not need a 5 minute timer.

A way to interrupt the "burying" would be possible with a 30 sec or so animation, and would force someone to double check surroundings before it.

Dragging a body is also an awesome concept, especially when rag-dolls are implemented... maybe even having to drag to "softer" ground if it currently lays on pavement/floor before burying.

• Like 1

Just make it so we can drag and hide bodies.  If you're near a body of water or very thick foliage, does the same thing.  Also if loot doesn't respawn then it keeps most of the items on the map, one way or another.  Also with dragging bodies, make it so we can hide them in cupboards and wardrobes, hitman style.  I want to have a house with bodies in the cupboards, under the beds, in the closets, everywhere.

No, it is about fact that his friend would shot bandit looting his body from tree line and then he run back and loot his body + bandits body, therefore bandit would be either dead or he would have to ignore his body (that was used as trap) or this little OP wouldn´t lost anything that wasn´t ruined as he would run back to his body being camped by his friend.. simply read his "help everyone" as "it would help me in this situation".

If you want to get rid of hide body, fine, it is too fast, but let there be option to safely destroy equipment on dead body, that is completely valid tactic.

Edited by Darke

For now we need the option to remove dupped/glitches gear from the game tbh.

I use it EVERYTIME i find someone with a "bottomless mag" or with other suspicious items.

I know some people doesnt use it like this, but its the only way atm, to remove the items people acquire "illegally".

Eventually it would be best to get an animation and the ability to burry people, but i dont mind this feature ingame atm.

Mostly, yes. In my opinion that is the primary factor. But there are many other reasons for wanting the action removed, such as realism and immersion.

For now we need the option to remove dupped/glitches gear from the game tbh.

I use it EVERYTIME i find someone with a "bottomless mag" or with other suspicious items.

I know some people doesnt use it like this, but its the only way atm, to remove the items people acquire "illegally".

Eventually it would be best to get an animation and the ability to burry people, but i dont mind this feature ingame atm.

Take it into your inventory, run a way and drop it in the woods. Or you could drop it into the middle of a lake/pond/ocean.

No, it is about fact that his friend would shot bandit looting his body from tree line and then he run back and loot his body + bandits body, therefore bandit would be either dead or he would have to ignore his body (that was used as trap) or this little OP wouldn´t lost anything that wasn´t ruined as he would run back to his body being camped by his friend.. simply read his "help everyone" as "it would help me in this situation".

If you want to get rid of hide body, fine, it is too fast, but let there be option to safely destroy equipment on dead body, that is completely valid tactic.

My friend did not have a weapon. And when I say everyone, I mean both bandits and victims. Most people, when killed, attempt to return to their body and get a fraction of their gear back. And why shouldn't they? If you really want to roleplay it, then you are just a random survivor who happened to stumble upon a dead body full of gear. People who purposefully destroy all of a player's equipment after killing him really are not benefitting the game in any way. They kill meaninglessly. They do not kill for loot, or for safety. They run around looking for things to kill because that is the only way you can have fun in the game right now.

If you really want to destroy equipment, I propose that you must destroy each piece of gear individually with a short 8-10 second animation. And it doesn't delete the item, only changes its quality to 'Ruined', thus unusable and unfixable.

Take it into your inventory, run a way and drop it in the woods. Or you could drop it into the middle of a lake/pond/ocean.

Why? It will give other people a slim chance of finding it, plus it takes so much longer then pressing hide body and i dont want the filthy dupped/glitches items anywhere near my inventory.

Imho, hiding the body is needed to eliminate these items.

And i want to add i use it every single time i come across a body, just so the next guy wont get what ever was left on it.

Survival of the fittest :)

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

Why? It will give other people a slim chance of finding it, plus it takes so much longer then pressing hide body and i dont want the filthy dupped/glitches items anywhere near my inventory.

Imho, hiding the body is needed to eliminate these items.

And i want to add i use it every single time i come across a body, just so the next guy wont get what ever was left on it.

Survival of the fittest :)

So you purposefully hide the body in order to prevent other players looting the body? Don't you think that is a bit of an unfair/cruel thing to do? Also, the ability to do this is completely unrealistic. If you really tried, I suppose you could try to destroy an object in someone's inventory but there should definately be a long animation. Destroying everything on that body in one fell swoop is complete and utter BS imho.

Edited by Kill3rCat

Mostly, yes. In my opinion that is the primary factor. But there are many other reasons for wanting the action removed, such as realism and immersion.

Sure it's unrealistic, but so is letting dead people run back to their body to retrieve all their gear. I always make sure to hide bodies whenever I can.

• Like 1

I think it should be drag body. Allowing the player to drag or carry a corpse out of sight.

Maybe also a cremate option once jerry cans are in. But the fire should be visible for quite some time.

I seriously doubt any bandit would ever really waste loads of energy burying anyone (although perhaps the option should be there for role players who want to give their fallen comrades a proper send off)

Edited by DoctorBadSign

So you purposefully hide the body in order to prevent other players looting the body? Don't you think that is a bit of an unfair/cruel thing to do? Also, the ability to do this is completely unrealistic. If you really tried, I suppose you could try to destroy an object in someone's inventory but there should definately be a long animation. Destroying everything on that body in one fell swoop is complete and utter BS imho.

I agree its not realistic to be able to do it like it is now, but its what we have to work with and its the only way to prevent other people from getting the gear.

Like i said earlier, i would like an animation and the ability to burry people.

But yeh i do it to prevent the next "son of a bitch" from getting what ever usefull stuff he could find on the body, and to get rid of the dupped and glitches items. It is in no way "unfair" or "cruel", i dont want anyone to run back to they're corpse and retrieve gear. Meta gaming like that is unfair and cruel, from my point of view.

So i intentionally make sure it doesnt happen.

Sure it's unrealistic, but so is letting dead people run back to their body to retrieve all their gear. I always make sure to hide bodies whenever I can.

An alternative to denying someone the gear if they removed hiding bodies would be grabbing the stuff you don't want others to have and moving a short distance away before dumping it beside a tree or in a bush.

For technical reasons bodies have to get removed, sooner or later, i will not argument this, it's pretty obvious as to why.

A second reason to get rid of bodies is called INFLATION. The game spawn gear, this gear need to be consumed and recycled somehow, food is naturally consumed by players, same for bullets, but weapons and wearables are created much more often than they are destroyed 'naturally'.

Making everything reuseable wouldnt be as much of a problem if nothing ever spawned (it would create a completely different set of design imperatives however), but it isnt the case.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

Im sure that the ability to hide bodies is going to be changed/deleted right when they implement draging bodies!

On the other hand, the devs could allow the option to 'Bury' with a shovel that plays a 5-minute animation. That is GENEROUSLY short.

Its a game, thus such way of thinking is wrong, we dont need a boring simulator, I also think that this should require a shovel, ut the animation should be no longer than the one that is used for eating.

• Like 1

That's AGAIN a bad idea , look , you just killed a bandit in Berez , and someone was hiding in a building , he just have to take the bandit's weapons to kill you ? Do you want to stand like an idiot next to the corpse so nobody won't take the stuff to kill you or kill bambies ?

The hide body action must stay as it is . Do you thinks they should remove something just because a kid is crying for losing his stuff ?

WELCOME IN DAYZ ! 

Sure , that's not reallistic , but do you want to have a cold so you have to find somes tissues and blow your nose 3 times in a minute ?

Just for having easy stuff you should remove some good things from the game .

• Like 1

Just : replace the "hide" by "drag" option and lets up actually "carry" the dead body mainly with the new ragdoll physic now, problem solved.

The only way to HIDE a body should be to REALLY hide it by moving it, and NO magic disappear option should be here.

That's just a bad idea that come from Arma 2 where for tactical reason you want to hide dead body for avoid enemy to know that you have kill them, cause the game cannot handle the fact that you will put stuff over his dead body, it just have the magical disappear option which is called hide.
Plenty of game have NO such magical hide and need you to move manually dead body, and they work fine, for few example, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Skyrim etc...In all this game you can drag/carry dead body.

Or only limit the "hide" to place they can actually be hide, such as forest or things like this, but their is NO WAY you can hide a dead body in the middle of the road...

@Poisson :
It is not cause you are too afraid to die that we should not remove a totally unrealistic feature, cause for example if you play with a friend which have good loot/equipment, your friend get killed by a sniper and you know where he is...You will be happy to be able to take his gear/weapon to try to shoot the sniper guy, and imagine (it happen so many times) you just cause of the stupidly bad action menu use the "hide body" rather than access to the gears, and poof dead body magically disappear into nowhere, and YES you can make mistake in middle of firefight and hit the wrong button, but IRL it don't make a body vanish into the ground.

Or you kill someone, he have a gearless friend, you will logically take the most dangerous at first, its logic, but while you reload for example, rather than take his gear, his friend cause he know he will die without be able to shoot at you (ruined weapon for example), cause he made a mistake or cause he is a troll or a simple noob he just have to hide the body of his friend and POOF you magically see it disappear in front of you and you are not able to take his gear.
I challenge you in real life to HIDE a body in sight of someone in the middle of a road while the one you want to hide it from is looking.

If you don't like realism go play WarZ/Infestation, remember that DayZ was build around a MILITARY SIMULATION, not around COD.

Drag option, or only hide in area where it make sense to hide, but NOT a magic hide.

And if you ask, NO its not for gear that i want this feature to disappear, i want, if someone get killed to see his body and be aware that the one who kill him (maybe a bandit) is probably still around, i play most of the time in almost empty server and i don't see any dead body cause their is not enough people, so no i don't ask it AT ALL for gear.

If you really want to destroy equipment, I propose that you must destroy each piece of gear individually with a short 8-10 second animation. And it doesn't delete the item, only changes its quality to 'Ruined', thus unusable and unfixable.

ABSOLUTELY no reason to that is hould take 8-10 seconds, I can destroy most of gears while killing with burst (even from handgun) . Even with axe it should take less few seconds to destroy all vital pieces not to mention gun. What I see is that you die very often (we all can guess reason why) and you simply want to be able to run to your gear and continue in your dying cycle. My point stands, even irl it takes few moments to destroy gear, removing hide body is fine as long as I can for example destroy/damage gun from distance (I can do it anyway when player is alive, why I shouldnt be able to do so when he is dead).

Demongornot

if you play with a friend which have good loot/equipment, your friend get killed by a sniper and you know where he is...You will be happy to be able to take his gear/weapon to try to shoot the sniper guy

Surely not , if my friend is being killed wy a sniper , i won't get in his sight , and if the sniper or an other guy is hidding the corpse i don't mad because it's some easy stuffs to do , see , some players are playing hours to get a cool stuff , and others just have to see the corpse and take the weapons ? and if you have to do it realistic , why can't we wreak the weapons ? or stuffs like that , i really don't want to advantage somes guys who is shooting at sight ...

"If you don't like realism go play WarZ/Infestation, remember that DayZ was build around a MILITARY SIMULATION, not around COD."

I take it badly from a guys who is playing DayZ i'm not playing COD or WARZ but I don't want to DayZ become "LIFE SIMULATOR" 

I don't want to wait like 3 in-game Months to see my leg brocken staying broken , and i don't want to be killed because i just ran in a wall and hurted myself ...

Thanks for being nice ...