gibonez

Love the New Sway

Realism is just not fun. Authenticity is. Realism can go suck a phallic object.

Yes, authentic is definitely what we want in a videogame. But I also think that the 15 ish kilometers that lie between berezino and lopatino should take more than an hour to cross on foot. That would be a step toward both realism and authenticity. Needing to decide what is essential for your journey to avoid weighing yourself down an tiring quickly would also add to authenticity.

You're too short sighted and heated to see beyond your fear of needing to spend even more time between firefights and military base-looting sessions. Some of us want to adventure across chernarus spending days and weeks on characters that struggle to get from town to town; not sprinting from base to base as quick as you can to get the best gear for your next pitched firefight.

I can't imagine why else you would be so vehement about maintaining our currently very unrealistic speed and movement.

Newsflash- vehicles were incredibly rare in the vanilla dayz mod. Unless you plan on looting up on low pop servers with a car and then hopping onto high populated ones (easy mode), vehicles will not be involved in even 50% of your traveling around the map, and will be inconsequential.

Go watch some older dayz mod footage.

• Like 1

People think that the addition of vehicles will offset a stamina system. News flash: you won't have a vehicle for the majority of the time you're playing, so get used to walking.

yes, but when the sprint speed is reduced and you can't sprint forever vehicles will actually mean something ;)

You're too short sighted and heated to see beyond your fear of needing to spend even more time between firefights and military base-looting sessions. Some of us want to adventure across chernarus spending days and weeks on characters that struggle to get from town to town; not sprinting from base to base as quick as you can to get the best gear for your next pitched firefight.

Well yes. What else is there to do at this current time? The game is currently spawn > get loot > shoot someone > die > repeat.

I can't imagine why else you would be so vehement about maintaining our currently very unrealistic speed and movement.

Because I would rather not spend my limited time playing a game where the most interesting thing that happens is I find a fucking deer in a field. 

Newsflash- vehicles were incredibly rare in the vanilla dayz mod. Unless you plan on looting up on low pop servers with a car and then hopping onto high populated ones (easy mode), vehicles will not be involved in even 50% of your traveling around the map, and will be inconsequential.

Oh yeah. Because I think that Dean would make the standalone have a car on every street corner and have people spawn with quadbikes. 

Go watch some older dayz mod footage.

I've played DayZ since it was like 3 months old. I've been through the good, the bad, and the utter fuckups and at this moment in time reducing run speed and making your guy stop every 30 seconds to tickle his feet when he feels like it will only degrade the experience of game itself.

Edited by sabre05
  • Like 1

Ever actually sprinted and then tried to accurately shoot?

It's like moving a mountain.

Needs more sway, but realism aint always fun ;)

I've done that but I've shot prone only then. I've think more of that sway and that's pretty good for fatigued and no weapon rest sway. Would be nice to see how much time it takes to settle down and how much you can try to counter the sway with mouse. I'll see that next Friday at the latest when I'm back home.

Higher running speeds = a smaller map relative to the player. One step goes farther if you're running faster, thus shrinking the map relative to the player.

No thank you. Turn it back to 18 kph/mph (IIRC) ASAP.

• Like 1

It's definitely better however, you don't just spaz out all of a sudden when you're out of breath. Sure, your aim will be more "jittery" but you won't be throwing your gun around.

• Like 1

It's definitely better however, you don't just spaz out all of a sudden when you're out of breath. Sure, your aim will be more "jittery" but you won't be throwing your gun around.

In my experience (just doing range drills) when you're out of breath, the increased "sway" is largely vertical and not horizontal, owing to your lungs heaving your chest up and down. There's only one additional motion when you're out of breath, and it's a linear/predictable motion.

I mean, the only thing different about being "out of breath" is just that... you're breathing harder. That's the only thing that changes. Your arms don't magically turn into jelly, only to harden up into stone after you catch your breath.

This seems largely, or at the very least, equally... horizontal as it is vertical sway. In my opinion, if they want to make sway "realistic/authentic" it has to be more vertical than horizontal.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 5

Yep if you get good position the motion is mostly vertical and follows your breath. More horizontal sway at first could simulate that you try to get the good position and steady your aim. At least for me it takes some seconds to get the steady shooting stance and after that the sway is more vertical for me.

Sway looks much better, do we have the hold breath system from A2 yet??

That was awesome, even if you were completely out of breath you could steady your aim for a very short period. It also adapted, holding breath when not out of breath lasted much longer. Then after so long you got big sway as your breath ran out, returning to condition appropriate sway after a couple of seconds :)

Waaay too fast, it's 23-25 km/h plus you can sprint forever. You would finish a marathon in 110 minutes, the world record is over 13 minutes slower. 4 minute miles every mile.

Sprint should be done like in ArmA. Running speed is 20 kph while sprinting gives you a 10% boost to that speed for a small distance.

Sprint should be done like in ArmA. Running speed is 20 kph while sprinting gives you a 10% boost to that speed for a small distance.

Well of course, sprint should be limited and no doubt will be later. ARMA 2 was about 18 km/h run, 23 km/h sprint and that was too fast, in ARMA 3 it's also based on gear and the speeds are more authentic.

For example a civilian carrying nothing runs 14 km/h and sprints 25 km/h, but a soldier with gear runs 14 km/h and sprints 18 km/h.

Well of course, sprint should be limited and no doubt will be later. ARMA 2 was about 18 km/h run, 23 km/h sprint and that was too fast, in ARMA 3 it's also based on gear and the speeds are more authentic.

For example a civilian carrying nothing runs 14 km/h and sprints 25 km/h, but a soldier with gear runs 14 km/h and sprints 18 km/h.

That sounds fantastic especially with the new arma 3 stamina system.

ah very nice...thanks for the vids. Now if i could rest my weapon on windowsills, rocks ect., to compensate a bit that be perfect...

also....weight/stamina system is a must...there will be crying about it but if you can't stomach something like that dayZ is definitely the wrong game.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

ah very nice...thanks for the vids. Now if i could rest my weapon on windowsills, rocks ect., to compensate a bit that be perfect...

also....weight/stamina system is a must...there will be crying about it but if you can't stomach something like that dayZ is definitely the wrong game.

Yea if weapon resting is a thing ever I would not mind even more sway when resting and tired.

I am noticing the new sway is actually affecting how I play, I no longer take the first shot I can get on people I actively wait for the best possible chance when my aim is steady, I have controlled breathing and when the player is at a range I can hit.

New sway

+

Rag doll

+

Weapon Resting

+

Manual Bolting

+

Realistic weapon characteristic

=

Amazing potential gunplay.

• Like 2

Not sure what world you live in...//..

Great for gameplay, and encourages people to pace themselves, not realistic by any means in my opinion.

The Biathlon competition involves shooting, between periods of intense physical activity. It is an olympic sport, used to be called "military patrol".

I guess there must be some reason for the intense physical effort before and after each target shoot, to make this sport different from other olympic target shooting events ?

If you follow the sport you will know that olympic level shooters drop points quite often, at a range of 50m.

The Biathlon competition involves shooting, between periods of intense physical activity. It is an olympic sport, used to be called "military patrol".

I guess there must be some reason for the intense physical effort before and after each target shoot, to make this sport different from other olympic target shooting events ?

Not saying that physical activity has no effect on shooting behavior. Just not exaggerated, drunken, horizontal sway.

My own experience with exercise preceding shooting (i.e. range drills) suggests that the sway is two things - mostly vertical in keeping with the vertical motion of the human breath in relation to the ostensibly shouldered weapon AND not a super rigid transition between "jelly arms" and "hard-as-rock arms."

I like the sway, because it encourages a certain type of gameplay and adds a consequence (of which there should be many) to sprinting and then shooting. Not because it's "realistic," because it isn't in my opinion.

• Like 1

Not saying that physical activity has no effect on shooting behavior. Just not exaggerated, drunken, horizontal sway.

My own experience with exercise preceding shooting (i.e. range drills) suggests that the sway is two things - mostly vertical in keeping with the vertical motion of the human breath in relation to the ostensibly shouldered weapon AND not a super rigid transition between "jelly arms" and "hard-as-rock arms."

I like the sway, because it encourages a certain type of gameplay and adds a consequence (of which there should be many) to sprinting and then shooting. Not because it's "realistic," because it isn't in my opinion.

Perhaps it is weapon specific I have only had the chance to test out the sway with a mosin a gun that for all intensive purposes is unwieldy and awkward to shoot.

Perhaps lighter weapons such an m4 have less exaggerated sway.

Perhaps it is weapon specific I have only had the chance to test out the sway with a mosin a gun that for all intensive purposes is unwieldy and awkward to shoot.

This might be a stupid question from someone with limited firearm experience: would a handgun be more accurate than say, an M4 after exerting yourself? Or would the lack of buttstock and 3 points of contact still make it the less accurate weapon? Edit: and by accurate I mean less effected by away as a result of the exertion.

I would like to think the MP5 or sawed off shotgun would be the best for running and gunning because of their small size and light weight. The weapon dexterity mechanic is nice for limiting the effectiveness of higher powered rifles in cqc, and giving lighter weapons a decreased weapon sway after running would be a nice touch as well.

Although development has been slow, it's still exciting to see small touches like this added to every patch.

Edited by Dagwood

This might be a stupid question from someone with limited firearm experience: would a handgun be more accurate than say, an M4 after exerting yourself? Or would the lack of buttstock and 3 points of contact still make it the less accurate weapon? Edit: and by accurate I mean less effected by away as a result of the exertion.

I would like to think the MP5 or sawed off shotgun would be the best for running and gunning because of their small size and light weight. The weapon dexterity mechanic is nice for limiting the effectiveness of higher powered rifles in cqc, and giving lighter weapons a decreased weapon sway after running would be a nice touch as well.

Although development has been slow, it's still exciting to see small touches like this added to every patch.

While not inherently inaccurate pistols are just far harder to shoot than rifles.

Rifles are far more stable of a platform to shoot I would imagine sway would be far higher on a tired person trying to shoot a pistol heck I see lots of noticeable sway when shooting a pistol past 50 yards and that is when I completely calm and in my resting heart rate.

I tried it with a pistol and it's still a fair amount of sway. So no, it's all the same.

It is too much sway both tired and rested (given the fact u are prone!)

I hope you don't expect CS:S sway when prone. The weapon sway is really good at the moment.

It is too much sway both tired and rested (given the fact u are prone!)

It is perfectly fine should be increased a tad bit I think if they ever do add weapon resting.

It is perfectly fine should be increased a tad bit I think if they ever do add weapon resting.

well I'm assuming when u are prone the weapon is rested because i don't think they will ever do that