AUTRanger

Improve Map-orientation

I think it will be introduced one day I'm sure... it would make people use the in game map alot more I believe 

Hi, my suggestion is basically very simple to implement and i hope a dev takes a look at it.

We have an ingame map, right? But i dont know a single person who uses it, because when you use an internet map instead it beings the same result and u dont need to use an inventory slot.

There is also a compass, which is ofcourse - unlikely the map - very usefull

We could make the map usefull again by reenabling the arma 2 feature to be able line up the compass with the map(if you found both ofc.). With that u can easily calculate the degree you need to run to get to a certain position and also you could messure your position by 2 distinctive points. (I think everyone who knows how to do it ll understand me)

As an addition you could enable this function (to combine map+compass) only if you sit down (or even create an animation to lay down the map, but thats just an possible addition)

think about it, it would really give the map ingame sence again

Edit: for the guys who have no idea how to orient with a map and a compass: all i want back is the arma 2 compass which was showen on the map.

I dont want any "here i am" or "there i want to go" markers

you could easily set incentives to use maps ingame by using "crazy" ideas.

think how you could connect dyn. events with maps for a moment:

using the map would reveal the location and/or the type of one or more dynamic events. Think about a simple "x" or even more sophisticated stuff like "gas", "food", "supplies", "help" etc. somewhere painted on that map in accordance to an actually spawned dynamic event. well that would quite change the map behavior.

you could also use the map easily as "one" item that represents your age and the time you've spent with your char. automatically adding more and more stuff on your map triggered by certain specific scenarios: "found military stuff", "found base", "firefight". "started to bleed", "almost died", "killed someone" all of these manually removable but also add-able to your map.

Something like this could be cool, compass in the right hand, map in the left (with the ability to zoom in I guess?)

Obviously no map markers or anything, unless you have a pen to mark you own map.

far-cry-2.jpg

Edited by klesh

Hello there

Ive never uses a compass in game and regularly get lost, but it is fairly east to navigate off landmarks as the environment isnt too massive, especially with the increase of villages/new buildings.

I think implying that Max is a troll is a bit harsh, I too did not initially understand OP.

As to having proper orientation tools though, Id like to see them added.

*hugs* for max.

Rgds

LoK

The problem with landmark navigation is most of the players and groups I don't want to run into as a lone survivor averse to violence use that primarily. I use iZurvive with a path plotted for an exact bearing and eta if I want to go long distances with no landmarks or dogleg around something or just guess the angle if it's a short hop along with either compass. On my displays I can actually read the numbers on the old style easier and would totally use the in game map if it was written in Cyrillic to match the road signs and you could see the compass at the same time.