AUTRanger

Improve Map-orientation

Hi, my suggestion is basically very simple to implement and i hope a dev takes a look at it.

We have an ingame map, right? But i dont know a single person who uses it, because when you use an internet map instead it beings the same result and u dont need to use an inventory slot.

There is also a compass, which is ofcourse - unlikely the map - very usefull

We could make the map usefull again by reenabling the arma 2 feature to be able line up the compass with the map(if you found both ofc.). With that u can easily calculate the degree you need to run to get to a certain position and also you could messure your position by 2 distinctive points. (I think everyone who knows how to do it ll understand me)

As an addition you could enable this function (to combine map+compass) only if you sit down (or even create an animation to lay down the map, but thats just an possible addition)

think about it, it would really give the map ingame sence again

Edit: for the guys who have no idea how to orient with a map and a compass: all i want back is the arma 2 compass which was showen on the map.

I dont want any "here i am" or "there i want to go" markers

Edited by AUTRanger
  • Like 15

Great idea although the devs have bigger and better fish to fry per-say. :P 

the problem is that we have the map split in a lot of pieces, really is bad. i have to take i dont know how may slots (for a piece of paper).

We have an ingame map, right? But i dont know a single person who uses it, because when you use an internet map instead it beings the same result and u dont need to use an inventory slot.

Hi I'm Max, how do you do.

Now you know someone who is using the ingame map, and not the internet 'cheat map'.

The game provides you with the tools to find your way around, it is up to you to use them. I'm very much against having any automatic orienteering aids in game, we might as well have an 'you-are-here' marker.

• Like 2

Hi Max

it seems like you have missed my point, there is no automatic orientation in my suggestion, if you give me a map and a compass in reallife, i could do the exact same thing. Im not talking about any markers i just want the compass being displayed on the mapscreen. If you still dont know what i mean, you may should google for basic orientation with compass and map. Since dean was in the military im sure he knows what i mean

Edited by AUTRanger

Im not talking about any markers i just want the compass being displayed on the mapscreen.

You just want to be able to look at the compass and the map at the same time? Fine, I guess.

Not really necessary though. North is up, west is left. It's pretty easy to work out, even without the compass.

I'm probably misunderstanding you though, but I'm not misunderstanding basic orientation, thanks.

2 options:

you are a troll -> stop arguing

Or you dont know how to use a map WITH a compass -> google

2 options:

you are a troll -> stop arguing

Or you dont know how to use a map WITH a compass -> google

Third option (bonus option), I don't understand what you are trying to say.

How are you going to line up the ingame compass (a 'cup-style', not an orienteering compass) with a map?

The tools you are thinking of (if I understnad correctly) is not available at the moment.

• Like 2

You are right, its not the best compass for the job, but since they havent brought the green one back yet, this one ll also do the job

How are you going to line up the ingame compass (a 'cup-style', not an orienteering compass) with a map?

The tools you are thinking of (if I understnad correctly) is not available at the moment.

Max, in Orienteering class, we use a PROTRACTOR to measure things such as distance, azimuth, and finding smaller grid squares within a larger. You don't necessarily use a compass for such (but I guess the OP wants to v  :huh: v )

Tada:

MapAndProtractor.jpg

VOCAB TIME  :D

Azimuth = Your Direction / Heading

A compass would be used to turn a Grid (Measured on the map) Azimuth into a Magnetic (Measured with a compass on foot) Azimuth. The conversion is based off of the G-M Angle in the Marginal Information. You add / Subtract that number from you're Grid (if going from Grid -> Magnetic) or Magnetic (if going from Magnetic -> Grid) depending on where you are in the world.

Say this is in your Marginal information as the G-M Angle:

lsn2_3.gif

Note how the Offset line is to the Right (AKA Easterly Angle) of the Grid North line.

Now, what's your Grid Azimuth? 63 degrees.

What direction do you need to head on your compass?

63 - 16 = 47

You need to point your compass at 47 degrees. Congratulations, you have now compensated from the curvature of the Earth.

(Sorry if something is inaccurate. haven't taught Orienteering in over a year :D )

Edited by SFRGaming
  • Like 2

There is also a compass, which is ofcourse - unlikely the map - very usefull

Spoken like someone who hasn't palyed enough arma II/dayz to know the map, it really isn't difficult to figure out where you are and where you're facing, that said the combine compass/map Idea is great

Max, in Orienteering class, we use a PROTRACTOR to measure things such as distance, azimuth, and finding smaller grid squares within a larger. You don't necessarily use a compass for such (but I guess the OP wants to v  :huh: v )

That's how I learned as well, although it's been a few years since I went through that training.

Im just sayin, in A2 and A3 the landnav was easier due to the fact that it simulated laying your navigation tools (compass, GPS and watch on the map) which is common sense, as I do the same setup when Im hiking in the mountains. I took landnav courses, so I use Arma as artificial practice. I do the real deal, down to the degrees. Problem with the DayZ setup is that you can only have out the map, or only the compass. So proper landnav is impossible, as you need the direction and exact degrees to your destination, which you cant do without the compass out like in Arma. THAT is why I use DayZDB, as I can get the direction and degrees of my destination, and use my compass to get there. Its not that people are lazy (well, I can only speak for myself) its that the design fails to implement the proper layout, as with blueberries being toxic and holly berries being edible -_-

Oh, and Max. IRL, I was trained to do it with a map and compass, no more no less. The trick is simple, take the compass and find North, then lay the map down and pay attention to the legend on the map stating the Northern direction. Line the compass with the map so both state North, and figure out where you wanna go. Well, Im at the Church in Berizino, but I want to head to that new town up North. Well, I peek at the map, and find a land mark thats obvious, say Green Mountain (shudders). So with my compass, I find the direction and degrees from the Church to GM, lets say Northeast bearing 354 degrees. So I look dor a landmark, say a barn thats directly 354 degrees and head there. Now I look at the lone tree at 354, and head there. It helps keep you in a straight line, without being glued to the compass. Yay, your at GM (shudders) now pull out the map and reorient it like before. Okay, now you need to head 22 degrees Northeast for 3 clicks in a straight line. So, take the compass, and find a landmark bearing 22 degrees. That hill is a good spot and lines up, lets go there. Okay, that lone shed is also 22 degrees. Go there. You find landmarks, obvious things that stand out easily that you can see that are in the direction, and go to it and look for another landmark. I dont know of thats what the OP means, but I just put in my 2 cents of training. Hope that helps XD

Oh, and Max. IRL, I was trained to do it with a map and compass, no more no less. The trick is simple, take the compass and find North, then lay the map down and pay attention to the legend on the map stating the Northern direction. Line the compass with the map so both state North, and figure out where you wanna go.

Except your azimuth would be inaccurate due to not compensating for the G-M Angle.

Except your azimuth would be inaccurate due to not compensating for the G-M Angle.

I focused on Escape and Evasion techniques where you have the bare minimum of a map and compass. I found its simpler to do that when covering non-transcontinental distances XD

I focused on Escape and Evasion techniques where you have the bare minimum of a map and compass. I found its simpler to do that when covering non-transcontinental distances XD

It can work for very short distances, but I imagine anything over 1000 meters will be way off.

the problem is that we have the map split in a lot of pieces, really is bad. i have to take i dont know how may slots (for a piece of paper).

Yeah and I have no idea what parts are what. Why are there even pieces of a map? It's clearly not ripped or anything what area has separate maps for different places? I think they should just leave it as one whole map.

You can combine them to 1 complete map:)

For real? How many parts does it take? Never heard of that.

Still pretty useless though, since you have to find them all there should be a better in game solution I use the iZurvive app on my iPod.

But I don't have an iPod in the game ..

If there was a full map that wasn't so awkward to get I'd not use my iPod for it since it feels like cheating but if it's a toss up between being lost for hours and finding civilization in minutes, latter always wins, thus, iPod.

The only thing the map desperatly needs are the townnames written down in cyrillic. Its just confusing as hell that the street signs are written with the cyrillic script and everything on the map is written with the latin alphabet. 

Hello there

Ive never uses a compass in game and regularly get lost, but it is fairly east to navigate off landmarks as the environment isnt too massive, especially with the increase of villages/new buildings.

I think implying that Max is a troll is a bit harsh, I too did not initially understand OP.

As to having proper orientation tools though, Id like to see them added.

*hugs* for max.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

also similar to one of my suggestions:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/190460-how-likely-are-randomly-distributed-props-and-sceneries-upon-server-restarts-or-incentives-to-use-the-ingame-map/

the idea as with the map+compass is to create more and more incentives to actually use the tools we have ingame.

I remember when the map and compass were valuable. All you really need is the time of day to find your way. With this, you can easily find north. Next, travel the map aimlessly a few times until you start noticing the landmarks. After a month of gameplay you stop looting that fluff.

IIRC, names on the map don't match the road signs. That's why I rarely used it.

Edited by Parazight