MatchboxChick

Afraid to go on

So my character is as geared as up as she has ever been. I am so geared up that I don't even want to move or go on ahead. I am afraid of bandits and butthole players who will see an army person and shoot on site. c0d03845b55499aca7783f2ee72823e4.gif

I wouldn't consider myself a hero (definitely not a bandit) but a survivor. If I saw anyone, whether they looked intimidating straight out of the cold war, or some spawned player out of bootcamp, I don't trust anyone and I am afraid of everyone.

I think I picked the wrong game to make friends on to be honest. Currently at Zelenogorsk and heard some gunshots. Marine_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif Not chancing it.

Gosh, how do I get over this hurdle. Yes, I am attached to my gear, I have A LOT! I do want to meet people, but I don't want to meet anyone bad and most people I have met, killed me on site =[

_scared__by_CookiemagiK.gif

Tips?

Edited by MatchboxChick
  • Like 5

yes this is a tough predicament and indeed i feel the more i become geared up, the more pressure and tense gameplay becomes..You just have to accept the fact you might loose all your gear at any time.  i usually just play on servers with not many people on and try to keep hidden as i move around. good luck

So my character is as geared as up as she has ever been. I am so geared up that I don't even want to move or go on ahead. I am afraid of bandits and butthole players who will see an army person and shoot on site. c0d03845b55499aca7783f2ee72823e4.gif

I wouldn't consider myself a hero (definitely not a bandit) but a survivor. If I saw anyone, whether they looked intimidating straight out of the cold war, or some spawned player out of bootcamp, I don't trust anyone and I am afraid of everyone.

I think I picked the wrong game to make friends on to be honest. Currently at Zelenogorsk and heard some gunshots. Marine_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif Not chancing it.

Gosh, how do I get over this hurdle. Yes, I am attached to my gear, I have A LOT! I do want to meet people, but I don't want to meet anyone bad and most people I have met, killed me on site =[

Tips?

Find a large building and jump off. Really. Ive been there before, all geared up, and scared to walk around as a high value target.

• Like 2

At Zelenogorsk? You obviously want to respawn.

• Like 3

Gosh, how do I get over this hurdle.

Hopefully not at all. That's what makes the game.

This isn't your average shooter / looter. The thrill is what makes the game.

• Like 5

I to have this problem, life is a b****.

• Like 1

Maybe join a small group?

After dying a few times, you get the picture that being fully "Geared" up takes up to 10 minutes to an hours work.

Like someone has said, you also could just play on low pop servers.

Everyone has been in your position before whether in the Mod Or Stand Alone, You're not alone out there ^~^

Just protect those beans at all cost!

• Like 1

Tips?

BTDT.

Stood in a tree and dropped everything except a holdout pistol, axe and bottle of medical spirit.  Then spent several hours as Jimmy the drunken scots welder of Svetlo.  Much fun had telling noobs they're my best pal in one breath and challenging  them to a fight in the next.

It was a liberating experience, dropping all that gear and continuing to play under my own terms, rather than at the hands of some random spotty herbert, I can tell you.   :thumbsup:

Edited by alphadogmeat
  • Like 4

@Agentne0 - That's what I have been doing for the most part but the game does get boring the safer I feel. Which is ironic and it proves kichilron's point.

@BelMarduk - Yeah, brilliant idea.

@Fristi - I didn't know Zelenogorsk was a hot spot, I will make a note of it.

Also, @kichilron, I would be playing right this moment if I wasn't afraid of what's ahead. The thing is, I don't know where is safe and now that I am at my peak I want to find some friendlies to up the chance of my survival. I won't enter towns anymore, looking behind yourself 10x more so, wasting so much time behind the trees, prone, thinking about what to do but never doing it. So much time wasted thinking. But I want to go in town, I just don't want to die.

Just keep playing the way you like to. If you die, you die. Just suffer through the mini heart attack, cry a bit and then start over. That's how I dealt with dying in the mod at least. 

But really, if you still have this fear and you feel the thrill when gunshots are fired around you, I envy you. I loved that feeling about the game, but having played as much as I have I don't really get that anymore.

• Like 9

You are not alone, MatchboxChick!

I play the game since day 1 and playe the mod when it came out. But still, I only play on low pop servers and nearly wetting my pants at every crack or sound I hear. I only play with headset on my ears - just in case I stumble upon another player to negotiate or something.

Playing DayZ will kill me someday, I swear. My heart pounces like it will explode, I drown in sweat (disgusting -_-) and I am soooo nervous!

Guess I am getting too old for this stuff...

EDIT: I am in love with my gear and would hate to losoe it (yeah, I break rule #1 with that, I know). That makes me extra extra cautions and I prefer to RUN if I hear or see something suspicious.

EDIT 2: I will always play as a friendly dude. I just met a handfull of fellow survivors in my 180+ hours of playing DayZ but retreated every time - out of fear or whatever. DayZ gives me more goosebumbs than every horror game out there combined!

Edited by Odrakis
  • Like 3

Haha been there before...

Now is the time to put all your gear on the line and try to make contact with people. Once you have been geared like this a few times it will become more stale, the fun is often in the actual gearing up from a fresh spawn :)

• Like 2

@Accolyte - I am really new at this game. I was in a random small village quite recently and I heard a guy talking to a girl and I was like scared_______the_2nd___by_Alexander88.gi "WTF" and stayed upstairs in this house for 10 minutes. It almost feels like I am actually there or one of those intense walking dead episodes. They would of killed me if they saw me. I hate respawning.

• Like 2

If you have a ton of gear but you arent going to hunt people down, next time you might consider just not looting as much. Less attachment to your stuff and less desirable for other players to kill you. If you want interaction, i suggest using pistols or MP5 only, since you can conceal them easily and wear only civilian clothing.

Also, everyone has felt this way and occasionally the feeling comes back. Esp when you lived a long live. 

And sidenote: You may soon find that this game alone is not only boring, but frustrating. Whenever you fight someone, it's almost always two people. And the extra pair of eyes is worth everything in DayZ.

Edited by Khanarac

You are not alone, MatchboxChick!

I play the game since day 1 and playe the mod when it came out. But still, I only play on low pop servers and nearly wetting my pants at every crack or sound I hear. I only play with headset on my ears - just in case I stumble upon another player to negotiate or something.

Playing DayZ will kill me someday, I swear. My heart pounces like it will explode, I drown in sweat (disgusting -_-) and I am soooo nervous!

Guess I am getting too old for this stuff...

EDIT: I am in love with my gear and would hate to losoe it (yeah, I break rule #1 with that, I know). That makes me extra extra cautions and I prefer to RUN if I hear or see something suspicious.

EDIT 2: I will always play as a friendly dude. I just met a handfull of fellow survivors in my 180+ hours of playing DayZ but retreated every time - out of fear or whatever. DayZ gives me more goosebumbs than every horror game out there combined!

I sometimes think about how this game affects your health...

This game can give you a huge adrenaline boost, the thing that works for me is to go running or rowing after I played an (a little too much) exciting game.

And as mentioned before: don't get the best clothes. Civillian clothes can be nice. (cargo pants are the same as military pants) And I don't wear ballistic helmets anymore. They make you a HVT. I usually have a headlight and a gas mask. Gas masks aren't rare so why not? Even though some people think that you are a bandit if you wear one, lol.

And I prefer the Hunting Backpack, the Mountain Backpack is a target that shows that you have a lot of gear.

Edited by EvilTigerAce
  • Like 1

Gasmasks conceal your face and many people, including myself, have a "KOS gasmasks and clownmasks without mercy, even if they have a showel only." So, don't conceal your face if you do not have sinister intent. Make improvised Backpacks for low profile silhouettes and that badass survival look. Wear Chestholders if you can't find a vest for extra protection.

Avoid people with bad english. If the communication fails too often, people will get bored with your presence and shoot you. Look for cues in their voice (comes with experience). If you have a shiny weapon,  say "look what I got here, isnt it awesome?" and watch their reaction. If they are overly fascinated, they want your gun and will kill you the second you look the other way.

Another tip: If you want to avoid your attachment for now, play hardcore or experimental. You'll start out as a freshspawn there and can play, while your shiny character is still there, laying in wait, ready for your friends to come online and play together.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 1

I agree with Frosti ! - Get the hell out of Zelenogorsk if you like your gear! Also do what I do, try not to look like a military God like everybody else. That way you may still have your fav gun, full ammo box, all the meds full map etc but don't make yourself an instant target by looking like a killer. The more 'survivory' you look the less likely you are to be chased I think. Seems to work for me anyway.

PS I'm not saying wear a pink jumper and sandals or anything daft, just not the obvious ttsko stuff... 

• Like 2

been fully geared, gliched tru the roof of pavlovo military base death, respwawn to far away to loot within 10 min..

spawn as in novo took the railroad tracks to NWaF geared up sks ammo killed two sever hoopers was fully geared within 30min

since there is no persistent achievment in "staying" alive like skill, looks or anything dying is just another element of the cruel gamemechanics and i love it

I do also kill freshspawns if they are close and I been sighted, to many times was I knocked KO from behind after leaving can open food and water

And sidenote: You may soon find that this game alone is not only boring, but frustrating. Whenever you fight someone, it's almost always two people. And the extra pair of eyes is worth everything in DayZ.

Only frustration I get in fights is, when I can not pull out my damned weapon!

Or when I empty magazine into dude only for him to turn around and kill me too.

PS I'm not saying wear a pink jumper and sandals or anything daft, just not the obvious ttsko stuff... 

TTsKO is so last month. Now it's full Gorka outfit! :-)

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 3

Tips?

Just ask for help, I'm sure there's someone on the forums willing enough to help you get out alive. I tend to help new players when I can, don't let the clan tag fool you. :P

Matchboxchick, I felt the same recently.
I was fully geared. Got my full equiped M4 with two amoboxes full of rounds. Two SPC full with morphine, bandages and other important stuff.

All my clothes were pristine. Also got a high cap vest and so on. Only the best and it took me long, very long, to find all this.

I than ran though the map. I went everywhere inland. Visited nearly every city and never saw any other player. Just a few zombies that went down with help from my firefighter axe.

But that was getting quite boring. Eating and drinking your loot is not enough. I wanted more and ran into Elektro. The server was full. But I saw nobody.

I ran do Bere. Nothing. Totally emptiness all around. Then in went to the military base near Vybor.

And there was the end of my journey. I was killed by a four man squad. Firstly I saw only one and I killed him. The other three jumped out of their bushes and .... Dead.

That's life in DayZ. That how it happnes daily, hourly in every minute.

Edited by TonyMahony
  • Like 2

You do not keep your items, you only extend your time with your items.

Think of it like that. Your bound to lose them anyway. One time I felt very yolo and went in the middle of Balota airfield and sat down. Fully geared... Yeah...

If my first statement doesn't work or you, try this:

Your items are not yours, you're just holding them for someone else.

Pretty much the same idea as the first just worded differently.

Edited by btw001

@Agentne0 - That's what I have been doing for the most part but the game does get boring the safer I feel. Which is ironic and it proves kichilron's point.

Also, @kichilron, I would be playing right this moment if I wasn't afraid of what's ahead. The thing is, I don't know where is safe and now that I am at my peak I want to find some friendlies to up the chance of my survival. I won't enter towns anymore, looking behind yourself 10x more so, wasting so much time behind the trees, prone, thinking about what to do but never doing it. So much time wasted thinking. But I want to go in town, I just don't want to die.

Yes don't play low pop it will grow stale fast. The more dangerous the better, surviving through gunfights, stealthing when you know others are nearby, being terrified to go past that tall fence you can see ahead - for fear that someone might be around the corner - but doing it anyway, challenging yourself and surviving... Those are the things that make DayZ. 

Just always have an exit plan if you're in a town and come under attack, always know where to head to to get safe and find high ground and leggit if you need to, and always remember that if you come under fire zig zagging will get you out of there if you have nowhere to hide. NEVER go prone tho if you're being shot at. Just makes you an easy taget.