Sign in to follow this  
Esccapee

DayZ sunshafts...

I'm wondering if anyone else is being bugged by the over the top unrealistic sun-shafts.

To start off with, they're there regardless of smoke/fog/dust - this makes no sense. The only way the sun-shafts are very visible is in presence of those things. Another issue is they're too damn bright. I mean brilliant white. Whiter than your wife beater after you wash it with some Persil.

But the worst crime is that they are only displayed when you are looking exactly in the direction of the sun! This is the least realistic part of DayZ sunshafts.

I'll give couple of DayZ examples and a BF4 example. Imo BF4 does sun shafts much better, they show from different angles, they aren't over the top and they don't show at every possible occasion.

bTKVAw5.jpg

EuE651d.jpg

I forgot the keybind to take screenshots in origin, so I was recording with shadowplay, that's why the quality isn't great.

Edited by Esccapee

Hello there

I wouldnt be overly concerned with them at the moment as they are making large scale changes to the renderer.

Once thats done then it may be worth revisiting this.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Use the Sun for your tactical advantage.

Edited by Frosti

!00% agree. Realism can be detrimental to gameplay. Two instances: sun flares and pitch blackness.

Edited by blaeZ

!00% agree. Realism can be detrimental to gameplay. Two instances: sun flares and pitch blackness.

It's not actually realistic imo. Ok if I look straight into the sun I will be blinded but in rl I can easily walk towards the sun and see where I'm going.

Edited by freethink

It's not actually realistic imo. Ok if I look straight into the sun I will be blinded but in rl I can easily walk towards the sun and see where I'm going.

Attempted realism..  Better?

Not debating semantics, you knew exactly what I meant.

Edited by blaeZ
  • Like 1

Attempted realism..  Better?

Not debating semantics, you knew exactly what I meant.

I didn't but seeing how we agree at a fundamental level I am also not going to debate semantics.

• Like 1

The sun shafts look ugly and are unrealistic.

Human eyes are not cameras and I don't see the need for something like this in the game.

There is of course the possibility that it could be gameplay related if that were the case then make sunglasses stop the sunshafts and have a dark tint to the screen. Unfortunately due to 3pp we probably will not see any cool stuff related to wearing goggles or helmets or sunglasses being implemented.

dnADQQC.jpg

MPkBKKH.jpg

sigh sadly we will never get that in Dayz.

• Like 1

Why gibonez? When you equip sunglasses in 3pp your whole vision from camera above the character can change as if you would looking from 1st person perspective.

Day_Z_2014_07_03_22_08_12_759.jpg

..I wouldnt get too worked up, this is from experimental build. Go play there if the sun is too bright for you, or wait until .47 makes it to stable sometime soon. 

Edited by lrish

Yes its exaggerated, but it looks brilliant imo. And you can use it in PvP. One of the most well known rules for snipers is to always have the sun in your back to gain an advantage over your enemy. Or, simply said: A warm ass means cold enemies.

And again, it looks nice, especially if you're sitting in a forest and the sun shines through the branches. Got me some romantic times in the cold-hearted world that Chenaurus is.

<3

• Like 1

Why gibonez? When you equip sunglasses in 3pp your whole vision from camera above the character can change as if you would looking from 1st person perspective.

That would look really weird though.

I don't mind the brightness of the sun.. it's the fucking Sun. but those shafts are a bitch and a half.

I´d like to walk where you walk because here I can´t do that. 

OT: 

Sun is a pita right now but can be used for your advantage pretty damn good. Sun in the back, opponent gets recked - lousy phrase but pretty true.