qww

new night time lighting

It's already been stated that the devs "will not" fix the gamma issue so the next best thing is to take away actual nights and give the little kids non darkness.  Probably night time like planetside 2, really bad and pathetic

I find it really hard to believe that people need that much gamma to get the picture right. Bohemia should bring down the maximum gamma, & force people to get a new monitor if it's really that bad. They're the minority anyway.

What's the bigger issue? The amount of people that exploit gamma? Or the amount of people that need that much gamma? I believe the former.

It's for the greater good.

& on a related note, those who need that much gamma, & max it out because it's necessary & can't essentially exploit it, are that much more at a disadvantage.

Guys, it can be pitch black outside. Remember that most of us live near cities and towns, and the lights in the city light up the sky for miles around. The light "bounces" from the atmosphere and shines on the ground. That's why observatories need to be placed in the mountains, far away from urban areas. I don't think that a city would be well-lit after an apocalypse, so the moon would be the only source of light. Stars wouldn't be anywhere close to enough, so if there was no moon, or too many clouds... you wouldn't see a thing.

Edited by MrTantrum

Well that's definitely not Glasgow.. ;) ..but I agree. People would be surprised at how little light you actually need once your eyes get adjusted to the darkness (say 20-30 mins).

Born and bred in Glasgow but transplanted to deepest darkest Lanarkshire when I was wee but returned back to my home city when I got older.

Bullshit.  You wouldn't even be able to see what kind of ground you were walking on.  

I walked that road for 10 years I think I'd know what I could and couldn't see. That black and white picture posted earlier in the thread was pretty much what it was like. The only time it's pitch black is in woods on an overcast night and even then it's not as completely black as dayz nights.

Bullshit.  You wouldn't even be able to see what kind of ground you were walking on.

Guys, it can be pitch black outside. Remember that most of us live near cities and towns, and the lights in the city light up the sky for miles around. The light "bounces" from the atmosphere and shines on the ground. That's why observatories need to be placed in the mountains, far away from urban areas. I don't think that a city would be well-lit after an apocalypse, so the moon would be the only source of light. Stars wouldn't be anywhere close to enough, so if there was no moon, or too many clouds... you wouldn't see a thing.

I can only presume that neither of you have lived in an area away from light pollution. 

You would be surprised just how much natural light there is once your eyes have adjusted.

Born and bred in Glasgow...

I am a Hyndland boy.. :) ..although have lived up in the Highlands where there is next to no light. On top of that I've travelled to some remote parts of Europe and North Africa and I completely agree with you about the amount of light you need to "see".

Edited by ricp

I can only presume that neither of you have lived in an area away from light pollution. 

You would be surprised just how much natural light there is once your eyes have adjusted.

I am a Hyndland boy.. :) ..although have lived up in the Highlands where there is next to no light. On top of that I've travelled to some remote parts of Europe and North Africa and I completely agree with you about the amount of light you need to "see".

Know it well, stayed for close on 10 years up in Knightswood. One of the few things I miss about living in the boonies is when you're out at night you see way, way more stars than you do when you're anywhere near streetlights. Has to be seen to be believed. 

Had a quick look through google and this is as close as I can see to what a clear night looks like

tumblr_mlckx0ImkU1qh931jo1_500.jpg

Edited by theirongiant74

Grew up in the mountains where once you left town you had no light whatsoever.  Nearest civilization was 160 km away.  Ya, I think I know a little more than what you portray myself and others to not know.

Edited by Caboose187

Grew up in the mountains where once you left town you had no light whatsoever.  Nearest civilization was 160 km away.  Ya, I think I know a little more than what you portray myself and others to not know.

How did you get home?

• Like 1

Glowing wtf? So the gamma hax is even better than before? WTF....!?

Thermal/IRNV optics exploit!

Ya, I think I know a little more than what you portray myself and others to not know.

Clearly us Scots are just better at seeing in the dark.

The monochrome night won't be the way it's going to be with the new renderer I'm sure.

So many people that complain that night was too dark, now they give people a night where you can actually see(for the most part) and people still use the gamma exploit(which looks more like shit) and/or still bitch. I think it's just the fact that these people just want 24/7 day and will give any excuse not to play at night no matter what it looks like.

I like night time play and always have without using gamma, it adds to the game play whether it be monochrome, pitch black or otherwise. If people are afraid to get shot while using your torch then no version of night will help, you should have to use your torch(or some kind of lighting) at some point to have to see, like interiors. If night was to the point where you could see perfectly all the time then it would just be better to have every server at 24/7 day because there would be no point to having night.

I find it funny that a lot of people say they want DayZ to be difficult but when it comes down to it, they just want easy mode if they can get it.

I think they should just do away with the ability to adjust brightness and gamma in game on the fly.

Have it so you can access it through the main menu, perhaps with some kind of calibration image, but don't have it in game. 

The fix is really quite simple. Just have it like any other gfx changes, force the user to restart the app to apply the changes. This would also do away with FOV changes on the fly that allow people to get better "zoom" out of their scopes.

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 2

Bah, so many pretenders here. I'm pretty sure what you're all really using for reference is how dark you room is at night when you first turn out the lights and how after a few minutes you eyes adjust and you can now see everything in your room perfectly. What you don't understand is just how much light is actually still there and how small your pupil is while the lights are on. Not as much light is needed so the pupil is small so not to let too much light in. When the lights go out the pupil size is greatly increased to absorb as much of the light bouncing around as it can. When there is no light bouncing around, there is no light to absorb, therefore you don't see shit. So distance form any major city center and the materials around are major contributing factors to how well you will see at night. Starts do no light up our world, so a clear moonlit night is your best chance in the environment we have in the game. This should cause great contrast, bright white light and really black shadows with not much in between. Pretty much how it was in the mod's early days.

Sun light = 8,2 minutes to reach Earth.

Next closest star = 4,2 years to reach Earth.

No sun = night.

No electricity = no light pollution.

No moon = no sun light reflected back to Earth's dark side.

NGVs = enhances star light 15-50,000 times.

No sun, no light pollution, no moon, you're relying on light from stars more than 39,735,068,439 kilometers away, which isn't enough to see anything, but where the star sky ends and when the black soup of Earth begins. The closest star at night is 4.2 light years away, while the sun is only 0.000158 light year away .

If you can see at night, you're either wearing night vision goggles, the moon is up or the atmosphere is lit up by light pollution from an artificial light source, even behind the horizon.

And it takes effort to avoid light pollution!

qx1XZDZ.jpg

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

Wouldn't really solve the problem. Either you could set it from the main menu as you enter the server because you know it's going to be night time or, removing software from the loop altogether, just altering the monitor settings rather than the app.

The problem is we have a culture of people who want quick fixes rather than taking the time to learn how to play a game. Far be it for me to complain about "the youth of today" but the modern day attitude to a lot of things (games included) that people just don't care enough to want to do things "right".

DayZ is competitive. This leads to a widespread desire for an even playing field, which then leads to people who only exploit gamma and brightness because everyone else does. Henceforth every exploit becomes hugely widespread. 

I agree that my suggestion is not a 100% fix, but I do think the devs should acknowledge and tackle the issue. I don't want to be at a disadvantage because I want my night time experience to be authentic and as intended by the developers.

• Like 1

i really think the new grey vision for night time does not look good, im confused as to why this new lighting would be seen as a good idea.,

i think the old lighting looked fine, of course exploiting ruined it., is this new lighting an attempt to make it fair for everyone? so everyone can see better?

anyway hope it gets changed to something better in future, but i can see the problem faced, its like, what is the value to play in the full dark if you cant see/ cant use torch cause you get shot, and how to combat gamma exploit etc etc. i dont know how it can be balanced or if it should even be balanced?

anyway i dont like the new look of night, i was on a server where all the stars were out so maybe it was brighter than it may be at other times,

I think the only way this can be balanced is for them to remove the option to adjust gamma/brightness....

Though I suppose thatd be piss off people with poor vision, night blindness and color blindness ? I am guessing cause I assume the only real reason to need to adjust these settings in game is for that purpose. 

i loved the old night time feel....we even tried to play with it until an exploiter killed my friend (I got him though) this was while we had no lights on and had not turned any on in quite awhile....After that it was always cranking up the gamma/brightness. Just to easy to do.

At least under the old settings it was still dark a lot of the time and people would use lights to try and see loot...but now it is just as clear as day no need for light.

Edited by trev186

PPeF0Hf.jpg

That's a light pollution map of the UK, I lived somewhere in that white circle. I've no reason to lie and I walked that road plenty of times, on the brightest night you'd cast a distinct clear shadow and at no time in the open was it ever pitch black, it would be if you went in woods but in the open there was never a point when I was unable to see. I know this because I managed to make it home every time and never owned a torch or nvg's. I'm pretty sure back in the days before streetlights people managed to venture out of their homes at night without stumbling about utterly blind.

Edited by theirongiant74
  • Like 5

The real question is why do they even have gamma and brightness in a shooter type game.....

No sun, no light pollution, no moon, you're relying on light from stars more than 39,735,068,439 kilometers away, which isn't enough to see anything, but where the star sky ends and when the black soup of Earth begins. The closest star at night is 4.2 light years away, while the sun is only 0.000158 light year away .

Sorry but that is a complete load of bullshit. While you may think you are being impressive by using big numbers your understanding, and by implication your experience, is massively lacking.

Have you ever been in a location without light pollution and without the moon in the sky (or at it's minimum albedo)? The sky is stunning, absolutely stunning and very bright. You talk about the stars being millions of kilometres away and you are not wrong, but you seem to ignore two simple factors; their brightness when there is the no light pollution and their density.

Do you mean this?

That looks wonderful.

I do think, though, that the idealized night in the first picture is perhaps too much a jump in the opposite direction.

It's too clear, might as well be day. Perhaps atmospheric effects would accomplish this, but night needs to be playable... but still mysterious and a hazard. Would have to be stylized.

Sorry but that is a complete load of bullshit. While you may think you are being impressive by using big numbers your understanding, and by implication your experience, is massively lacking.

Have you ever been in a location without light pollution and without the moon in the sky (or at it's minimum albedo)? The sky is stunning, absolutely stunning and very bright. You talk about the stars being millions of kilometres away and you are not wrong, but you seem to ignore two simple factors; their brightness when there is the no light pollution and their density.

Experienced total darkness a few times, where you can only rely on feeling and hearing.

Had a group leader on a military exercise get himself entangled in three rolls of NATO barbwire. We couldn't see anything, nothing and we'd already been maintaining our natural night vision during the briefing and patrol. We freed him, feeling our way towards the yelling and freed him in blindness, until we used the light of a G-shock watch, which made a huge difference in the complete lack of light.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

The shot just looks like server date is more towards a full moon. Is it a proper redo of night, maybe the start of the prep for new directx?

Sun light = 8,2 minutes to reach Earth.

Next closest star = 4,2 years to reach Earth.

No sun = night.

No electricity = no light pollution.

No moon = no sun light reflected back to Earth's dark side.

NGVs = enhances star light 15-50,000 times.

If you can see at night, you're either wearing night vision goggles, the moon is up or the atmosphere is lit up by light pollution from an artificial light source, even behind the horizon.

And it takes effort to avoid light pollution!

Just about the only thing you said in this post that is true is that it takes effort to avoid light pollution, for most people at least.

I grew up the son of an astronomer travelling miles and miles to get to dark sky sites to observe, and you couldn't be farther from the truth. You can use all the fancy "math" you want to try to prove your point, but it's in vain because you haven't got one to begin with. Venus is bright enough to cast shadows, albeit faint ones. The milky way is massive in the Summer and creates plenty of light, as do all the rest of the stars, more than enough to see with. The human eye adjusts amazingly well to night time given the time to do so properly, but most people simply don't bother with that.

The old night time in DayZ was a joke, and nothing even close to reality.

Dallas, did you see stars, when you were doing that military exercise? If you didn't, that means there was clouds blocking the starlight. In that situation it really is really dark. However, starry night is bright enough to walk on the road. Forests are a different story, though. I lived on the countryside and the stars were really amazing to look at.
 Off topic: have you guys ever thought that many "city children" have never seen stars in their life? Kinda sad, when you think about it...

• Like 4

There might actually have been clouds, because the stars would probably have stood out and all I remember was trying to avoid the razors parts of the wire with my fingertips.

Edited by Dallas

Dallas, did you see stars, when you were doing that military exercise? If you didn't, that means there was clouds blocking the starlight. In that situation it really is really dark. However, starry night is bright enough to walk on the road. Forests are a different story, though. I lived on the countryside and the stars were really amazing to look at.

Off topic: have you guys ever thought that many "city children" have never seen stars in their life? Kinda sad, when you think about it...

Yeah, when I lived out in the sticks I was accustomed to it but when you move to the city you're like, dude where's all the stars. It's like the difference between 1080p and 360p