Re-Patch

Fraps FPS - Sniper - need help/suggestions

Hallo Everyone

I would love to make some tutorials or let's play (don't know what exactly yet).

Thus I bought FRAPS (for a start it should be more than sufficient).

Now I'm a bit confused how much power FRAPS apparently is using.

Below you'll find my system:

Intel Core i7 4770K OC

16GB DDR3 1866

R.O.G. Maximus VI Hero

Samsung SSD 250GB 840 Evo Basic + Seagate 2 TB (7200RPM)

nVidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 (not sure if 780 or 770, gotta check)

Win7 64Bit Ultimate

Well, until yesterday I played DayZ with every single option on very high.

I always had enough frames, between 25ish and 150ish (depending where I am).

I started recording with FRAPS and my framerate dropped to (10-15fps in cities and 30fps in the outskirts/lands)

Well I don't even need to tell you that you can't play with 10-15 frames, that just sucks.

My logical reaction was turning down the graphics settings a little bit in order to achieve more frames.

Now what bugs me the most is (I almost only play as a sniper) that I didn't see players as far away as I used too. Because of the vision and because the frames didn't really improve much (to be fair I only tried high settings instead of very high and no other changes, so that might not have been enough there) I switched it back to very high immediately.

So, now, I've heard already that you can use the config file to manually adjust complexity/viewing distance etc.
Does anyone have some experience already with what settings are good for FRAPS etc.?

What I'd like to know eventually, is there a way (by tuning the configfile etc.) that the game looks more or less decent + AND MOST IMPORTANT that I have the full viewing distance (I need to see the people up to 1.1 kilometer at least) and have enough (e.g. 30ish) frames for recording?

Or do I need an even better computer? Because that one was more than expensive enough already... I don't get it.
Do I need more RAM or even an SLI graphics setup?

Thanks for your help guys & cheers from Switzerland

re-patch

780 actually struggling, something else is going on here, its not your rig. I have a 3570k and a 760, and I sit at a stable 80 FPS on very high, 60 if I am recording.  Your RAM as it stands is overkill, and SLI 780 is a ton of money for little to no extra output as the 780 is already a beast

You might want to look at your startup parameters, how many programs you are running alongside fraps and dayz, and your fraps settings 

• Like 1

Well I don't even need to tell you that you can't play with 10-15 frames, that just sucks.

I have 10-15 FPS... <_<

However try turning off everything in Rendering..., turn off Vsync, turn off shadows and clouds, turn off texture filtering, set video memory to 256 and texture on very low. Maybe this will help.

PS.

Quality - Objects, set it on very low too.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

I'm sorry that you purchased FRAPS as Shadowplay with the NVidia card records with little to no loss of frames and comes with the GeForce Experience (it captures video directly from the GPU). the game overall is very CPU heavy and something that I have discovered in my own search for better frames is a new phenomenon with multi-core processors - CPU Parking - research this and choose a solution that bests fits your situation. I would recommend the Microsoft solution to having parked cores but that's just because I am paranoid about 3rd party tools.

also have a good look at this fairly comprehensive guide. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/28cla2/dayz_sa_frame_optimization_launch_options_fov/

good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

What I'd like to know eventually, is there a way (by tuning the configfile etc.) that the game looks more or less decent + AND MOST IMPORTANT that I have the full viewing distance (I need to see the people up to 1.1 kilometer at least) and have enough (e.g. 30ish) frames for recording?

I did some testings now. Aparently the thing that determinates from how far will you spot players/zombies is Quality -> Objects.

With this on very low I could see non-zoomed player from max 400 meters. With Quality-> Objects on very high I could see player non-zooming  from 600+ meters. So Objects is the graphic option that determinates from how far game will render players for you..

More testing.

With resolution 1920x1080 and Objects on very high I can spot non-zooming a player from 1,000-1,200 meters.

I suspect with greater resolution this distance would increased. Can exploit Field of View for even better results.

So for hardcore snipe spotting players only thing you need is resolution and Objects on very high. Rest can be turned off.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

Yes, Shadowplay should be the solution.............

• Like 1

780 actually struggling, something else is going on here, its not your rig. I have a 3570k and a 760, and I sit at a stable 80 FPS on very high, 60 if I am recording.  Your RAM as it stands is overkill, and SLI 780 is a ton of money for little to no extra output as the 780 is already a beast

You might want to look at your startup parameters, how many programs you are running alongside fraps and dayz, and your fraps settings 

Okay, thanks, that calms me a bit, pretty much what I thought, I just wasn't really sure because ALPHA :D

The parameters shouldn't be a problem either though, I keep my autostart (computer in general) very clean.

In Fraps I have used the suggested 29.97 frame cap, apart from that (and 2-3 sound settings) it's on default settings.

I have 10-15 FPS... <_<

However try turning off everything in Rendering..., turn off Vsync, turn off shadows and clouds, turn off texture filtering, set video memory to 256 and texture on very low. Maybe this will help.

PS.

Quality - Objects, set it on very low too.

Sorry to hear that mate. I used to play some games for a long time with that amount of frames too, sooner or later you get used to it and adapt your play accordingly.

But once you are getting used to good quality/high speed, it's hard to go back :P

I will try everything you wrote (except objects, see further down this post for explanation), thanks very much!

I'm sorry that you purchased FRAPS as Shadowplay with the NVidia card records with little to no loss of frames and comes with the GeForce Experience (it captures video directly from the GPU). the game overall is very CPU heavy and something that I have discovered in my own search for better frames is a new phenomenon with multi-core processors - CPU Parking - research this and choose a solution that bests fits your situation. I would recommend the Microsoft solution to having parked cores but that's just because I am paranoid about 3rd party tools.

also have a good look at this fairly comprehensive guide. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/28cla2/dayz_sa_frame_optimization_launch_options_fov/

good luck and have fun!

Oh shit, it even seems to be freeware? Why is everyone paying for other progams then? :)

One question though, In FRAPS (I don't know how it is possible, but it works), it's recording everything (sound), IngameSound+IngameVoice+TeamspeakVoice.

Does that work with shadowplay as well?

Thanks for the link with the tipps! I will definitely have a closer look at that.

I did some testings now. Aparently the thing that determinates from how far will you spot players/zombies is Quality -> Objects.

With this on very low I could see non-zoomed player from max 400 meters. With Quality-> Objects on very high I could see player non-zooming  from 600+ meters. So Objects is the graphic option that determinates from how far game will render players for you..

More testing.

With resolution 1920x1080 and Objects on very high I can spot non-zooming a player from 1,000-1,200 meters.

I suspect with greater resolution this distance would increased. Can exploit Field of View for even better results.

So for hardcore snipe spotting players only thing you need is resolution and Objects on very high. Rest can be turned off.

Exactly what I was hoping for (as I was too lazy (or working too long) for testing myself) --> Thank you very much --> :thumbsup: :beans:

Yes, Shadowplay should be the solution.............

Will definitely try, thanks guys!

Thanks a lot everyone for the fast answers, have some :beans:

"Oh shit, it even seems to be freeware? Why is everyone paying for other progams then? :)"

Shadowplay is pretty new and many people simply don´t know about it, although they have it already on their PC (Part of "GeForce Experience")

Just like you! :rolleyes:

Well, and some people have AMD Cards, don´t really know if AMD offers something like this...................

• Like 1

Oh shit, it even seems to be freeware? Why is everyone paying for other progams then? :)

One question though, In FRAPS (I don't know how it is possible, but it works), it's recording everything (sound), IngameSound+IngameVoice+TeamspeakVoice.

Does that work with shadowplay as well?

Shadowplay only works if you have an Nvidia gpu. You can get it by downloading the drivers from GeForce experience.  Reason not everyone uses it is because some people prefer  AMD graphics.  They're a bit cheaper but perform similarly.  I use Shadowplay a bit when I play. The program is somewhat new and therefore has a few issues.  The main issue is microphone quality.  Shadowplay will capture game audio, and third party audio (Skype is what I use cause I only play with 1-2 people), and will also capture your own microphone(But it has specific settings you'll want to check beforehand). The problem with recording my audio was that in the recording my voice was very quiet.  You could barely hear it over the sound of the ocean.  My teammates could be heard perfectly, it was only me that was quiet.  I searched this issue and it turned out to be a flaw with the program.  Since then i have been using Audactiy(A free audio program) to record my voice and then mixing that with my shadowplay recording.  In the time since I had this issue, various updates for Shadowplay have been released.  Hopefully this issue has been resolved.

For a free program, it's certainly worth a try to look into.  And as others have said, it barely affects your framerate.   

• Like 2

Thanks again guys for the explanations.

I am experimenting at the moment with FRAPS, Shadowplay, DXTory, Audacity and Magix, I haven't sound my perfect setup yet, but I will soon hopefully :)

I'm still a bit scared to use ShadowPlay though, I've heard it's not good for SSD's apparently, anyone has some good info about that? I'm only finding rumours etc.

cheers,
RePatch

Trick to low frame rates is to just blink more often.

Try Nvidia ShadowPlay, I don't notice a difference in FPS between not recording and recording 1280x720 30 FPS while playing in 1920x1080.

My system is pretty similar to yours...

3570k @ 4.5Ghz

8Gb RAM

EVGA GTX 780

Also, if you aren't already - run the game from your SSD and record video to the HDD.

Edited by Mos1ey

good luck and have fun!

This. I use Shadowplay for most of my actual gameplay.. I only use fraps on occasion when recording specific scenarios.

780 actually struggling, something else is going on here, its not your rig. I have a 3570k and a 760, and I sit at a stable 80 FPS on very high, 60 if I am recording. Your RAM as it stands is overkill, and SLI 780 is a ton of money for little to no extra output as the 780 is already a beast

Intriguing. I run two 780 Ti video cards in SLI and they are completely necessary for modded Skyrim, BF4 at 4K, ARMA 3 on Ultra and several other titles. In Crysis 3 at 4K I noticed a 50% increase in performance when using SLI.

I'm also astounded that your 760 is outperforming my 780 Ti in DayZ as well. I average 60 frames per second, dropping as low as 20 or so in cities. You're the first person I've heard of getting such high frame rates in DayZ.

Congratulations.

Edited by Grimey Rick

Let Dayz run on the SSD and store your video on your HDD. This way you won't experience lagg, atleast that's what helps for me.

good luck and have fun!

I was going to mention shadowplay - at least ffraps is pretty cheap but will cripple ur FPS (not to mention gigbytes of HDD)

Seing that you are in Swizterland you need 25 frame - at 1080 its largely doable with fraps with no loss of frame. Just dont push DayZ option to very high. turn off the heavy stuff like High clouds/shadows/alpha

Edited by zeroy99

Intriguing. I run two 780 Ti video cards in SLI and they are completely necessary for modded Skyrim, BF4 at 4K, ARMA 3 on Ultra and several other titles. In Crysis 3 at 4K I noticed a 50% increase in performance when using SLI.

I'm also astounded that your 760 is outperforming my 780 Ti in DayZ as well. I average 60 frames per second, dropping as low as 20 or so in cities. You're the first person I've heard of getting such high frame rates in DayZ.

Congratulations.

Taking simple steps to optimization of your own PC goes a long way, when I play games, nothing taxes my internet, nothing else is sucking anything other than the game and a lightweight VOIP such as TS3. 

Then again I play on very low, because there is no point of using high setting when everyone can't see the same amount of foliage as you. 

Congratulations.

Does Dayz  have a decent sli profile ( i hate sli due to all the problems i use to have in games without a good profile ,hence why i go over kill on the single card these days)

I was actually going to ask has there been some optimization to the game?? ( asking as i have been away from forums game for 6 or 7 weeks due to a flood that destroyed alot of shit in my house including my pc. But thanks to insurance i am back in the saddle and i have seen some well large FPS gains not sure if it is improved parts or optimization or a little of both.

Went from win7 pro to win 8.1 pro went from 17 4770k oc 4.5 to 4790k 0c 5.1( pretty much same chip but i think i won silicone lotto as i have more head room but like to keep voltage to no higer than 1.3) assus z87 to assus z97 mobo went from gtx titan to gtx titan black ( almost died when i enquired about the titan z holy mother fire truck) 16gb ram kingston beast 2400mhz ,went from 2.5 ssd to m2 ssd

FPS before in open 80 to 85 small town 55 to 65 large city 38 to 42 problem cities( svetlo etc) 32 to 35, FPS now 115 to 130 in open 85 to 100 small town 50 to 60 large city ( havent tried out what were my problem spots yet to compare FPS nor have  i seen the new super city in the north yet..

run fraps and game you recording on seperate hd. fraps is fine most people just set it up wrong. suggesting shadowplay which has worse quality over what he already has is quite funny.

your card and cpu is fine and you can record the game with fraps at more or less 60 fps if you do it right.

• Like 1

Does Dayz have a decent sli profile ( i hate sli due to all the problems i use to have in games without a good profile ,hence why i go over kill on the single card these days)

I was actually going to ask has there been some optimization to the game?? ( asking as i have been away from forums game for 6 or 7 weeks due to a flood that destroyed alot of shit in my house including my pc. But thanks to insurance i am back in the saddle and i have seen some well large FPS gains not sure if it is improved parts or optimization or a little of both.

Went from win7 pro to win 8.1 pro went from 17 4770k oc 4.5 to 4790k 0c 5.1( pretty much same chip but i think i won silicone lotto as i have more head room but like to keep voltage to no higer than 1.3) assus z87 to assus z97 mobo went from gtx titan to gtx titan black ( almost died when i enquired about the titan z holy mother fire truck) 16gb ram kingston beast 2400mhz ,went from 2.5 ssd to m2 ssd

FPS before in open 80 to 85 small town 55 to 65 large city 38 to 42 problem cities( svetlo etc) 32 to 35, FPS now 115 to 130 in open 85 to 100 small town 50 to 60 large city ( havent tried out what were my problem spots yet to compare FPS nor have i seen the new super city in the north yet..

You must've gotten a one in a million chip. My cousin has one and we couldn't get a stable 4.8 out of it on water even at 1.475v. We thought we had a shitty chip, but after searching around that seems to be the norm.

You must've gotten a one in a million chip. My cousin has one and we couldn't get a stable 4.8 out of it on water even at 1.475v. We thought we had a shitty chip, but after searching around that seems to be the norm.

was it a revision 3 or 4 chip there seems to be better luck going round with the revision 4's( thats what i got ) . When you say on water do you mean a closed loop or a custom one?? i built my own water loop gets you way better cooling although if he has taken it to 1.475v heat hasnt been his trouble i managed 5.2 at 1.425v but started to get memory troubles at 5.3( started throwing out way to many errors).Did he try clocking individual cores as some of them may get higher which would still give him extra boost gaming.

Hey i deserved some luck my 4770k wouldnt go past 4.6 my 3770k wouldnt go past 4.2!!!( yes i usually rebuild every year the flood just bumped up my schedule).

No answer on if there has been optimization ( i have noticed the lower shadow state). I didnt think win8 600mhz and a slight upgrade in gpu( oh which i clocked alot harder than my old card as its the first time i have water cooled a gpu) would gain me many frames but it has..

Another option if you have an Intel i7 cpu with quick sync and to use Open Broadcaster Software which is free.

Video on how to here

Uses a separate part of your cpu not used if you have a graphics card to do all the work so no hit to game fps.