XeL

Small Chernarus

with the current run speed and not exhausting out fast, it makes travel really really easy to get from the north to south of the map or east-west. travel is realy easy atm. I do agree though after playing dayz mod for a long time now and now SA, that the map could benefit in the future to a larger map, something like Altis size, that map with the arma 3 run speed makes it feel so gigantic it daunting to run across it. Maybe if SA used something like Arma 3 run speeds, it would greatly increase the run time between distances, thus making it feel larger. I figure once they add vehicles they will address the run speed and add something like whats in Arma 3.

I do think it would be nice in the future if they released maps packs, like a North chernarus and West chernarus maps that add new areas N and W, Maybe the N pack can be deans everest climbing sim lol and the west is a more open area for hunting. IDk just a basic idea, but they could add more stuff in the future. I can see any new larger maps being a DLC and have it server side, so when you run into a new area it will load the DLC map so you dont have to run to another server and play N chernarus Mountain climbingz sim lol, and if you dont have the DLC map, it would say something like "to access this area you need the DLC pack"

But with the new towns around the north the map will be nice with a reworked run system once vehicles make it, i would also like a future DLC with map expansions.

i asked a simple question, which is name a bigger first person shooter map than dayz,

just cause is NOT  first person shooter...............

edit: are you serious? you think just cause 2 looks better than chenarus? just cause looks liek a playstation 1 game, you think that loks better than dayz standalone? haha damn. lets end thsi here, i have no more to say to you

Ah yes of course, with Chernarus's opaque lakes and polygon hills it's the absolute definition of high end graphics.

I would also argue that Just Cause is more of a first person shooter than DayZ is. Saying that it's not doesn't actually make your opinion a fact.

I'm happy to end it here, as you clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Off the record, just thought I might leave these here.

PS1 Graphics

images.jpg

Just Cause 2 Graphics

images2.jpg

Edited by zeeabo

JC2 map is bigger and multiplayer has over 1000 people. Pretty awesome, I wish we could see entire chernarus maybe in Arma 5 lol. With 1000 people servers.... Ahhhhhhhh the dreams.

Ah yes of course, with Chernarus's opaque lakes and polygon hills it's the absolute definition of high end graphics.

I would also argue that Just Cause is more of a first person shooter than DayZ is. Saying that it's not doesn't actually make your opinion a fact.

I'm happy to end it here, as you clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Off the record, just thought I might leave these here.

PS1 Graphics

images.jpg

Just Cause 2 Graphics

images2.jpg

Chernarus still looks better. That bloom and shite AA make my eyes bleed.

• Like 2

Chernarus still looks better. That bloom and shite AA make my eyes bleed.

Both random pics I pulled off google. It looks much better with the graphics set up properly- Chernarus probably doesn't look great with Bloom maxed and AA turned off.. I've got no idea what settings were used in that screenshot but I assure you it looked better than that back when I played it. Also just noticed the JC2 screen has been resized which could account for the shite aliasing.

The point there though, was the difference between JC2 and a PS1 game, which qww made a direct comparison between.

@qww Watching a compressed quality youtube video isn't an accurate representation of anything, and comparing a DX11 game to something made in 1994 makes you look pretty foolish.

Edited by zeeabo

Just admit it guys, you feel Chernarus small because you've raped the map over and over for months in the mod and the SA now.. It's not the map that is too small, but the fact that you already know everything on it (almost).

I had the same feeling, but at the end the map is quit ok ! otherwise we would need all server with 100 players all the time to be able to meet someone. (just imagine the amount of work to deal with 100 players on your server ahah.. I dealt with 50 for 2 months, that was a pain almost every day)

Even thought I would love to see a small west extend, since they extend the north, that would do it :) 

ok so name a larger map in a multiplayer fps

what does a other game have to do with dayz? Nothing. Stop telling people to play another game because you dont agree with them. The map _is_ small once they introduce things such as cars and choppers. Adding map space would be a good thing.

what does a other game have to do with dayz? Nothing. Stop telling people to play another game because you dont agree with them. The map _is_ small once they introduce things such as cars and choppers. Adding map space would be a good thing.

as i said earlier, when someoen asked what i meant by that...

guy is complaining that dayz map is too small.

dayz pisses on any other game in terms of scale, and in terms of almost everything else out there

so before you complain about how "small" dayz feels, take a look around at how other games compare to dayz..

as i already stated, of course a larger map would be great, every single player would like a larger , and larger, and larger map.

it goes without saying. its a no-brainer/.

if you  dotn get my point, that dayz is massive, and the experience that dayz sa is providing is not matched by other games, (with exception of arma for scale), its not my problem.

200 sq. km map with player characters that have a 30km/h sprint speed and never get tired. I can understand it feeling small. Hopefully they tone down the run speed at some point and add some sort of stamina system (like ACE has) before the release.

• Like 1

When the running speed is cut by 2/3 and cars go as fast as we run now, the map will seem twice as large.

Edited by gr8mghtyp00
  • Like 1

Both random pics I pulled off google. It looks much better with the graphics set up properly- Chernarus probably doesn't look great with Bloom maxed and AA turned off.. I've got no idea what settings were used in that screenshot but I assure you it looked better than that back when I played it. Also just noticed the JC2 screen has been resized which could account for the shite aliasing.

The point there though, was the difference between JC2 and a PS1 game, which qww made a direct comparison between.

@qww Watching a compressed quality youtube video isn't an accurate representation of anything, and comparing a DX11 game to something made in 1994 makes you look pretty foolish.

It looked better in A2, and it still looks better now. You can't beat Bohemia when it comes to detail in a (very large) game world.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the limitations of the map size and amount of objects/polygons and avatars it can store is limited by the servers not the game.

The game is being optimized with new bubble technology to only relay the most important information from your vicinity (I think it was around 500 meters) the rest is what the servers can handle and on your client side what rendering distance you can handle.

You can increase the map size, but the polygons the server can handle is limited, unless you choose to lower the levels of details (we all love the details). 

I hope it is possible to change the Map size ... :rolleyes:

UP! ;-)

After 9 Month, Chernarus is much too small -what do you think? :rolleyes:

....this is my proposal - in a larger map ^^

greensearegionstage2pla.jpg

Edited by XeL
  • Like 1

Wait for stamina and a realistic movement speed to be added.

Map wont feel so small.

• Like 2

bigger map would be cool..you can have faction war ..survivals are pitted against control of resources and fight zombies the same time

I think for the current population limits the map size is just fine.

The issue as I see it is there are two types of players - survivor explorers who use large portions of the map and like to gear up and stay that way, then there are your coastal zerglings who spend more time as bambis waging war on each other in Elektro. I think for the prior a bigger map is desirable, as once you see some of the interesting locations once (especially the remote ones) there's not much return value. For the latter, the map size doesn't really matter - heck, they could be on dm_sniper in HL2 or The Edge in Quake 2 and be happy so long as they can find someone to attack or snipe at.

Only problem with a huge map is you would need like 5000 players online to stand a chance of bumping into someone

true...maybe a few massive server hosted by BA, limit the amount of server force everyone to join in?

we have a totally different view on the game. i think this game is good with lots to do already. i dotn run across teh map and dotn see any need to do it ever, unles i wana meet my regular mode friends, but of course thats not even playing the game properly, running across the map to meet people.

i see the amazing map with all its detail, and massive scale, much bigger and better than any other map in any game.

and then i see topics like this , complaining about the scale.

i have nothing more to add here cause i already typed my views, my original point stands, while it will be nice if map is 'even' bigger. if anyone thinks dayz is small, go look at the scale in other games.

ps yeah i do like minecraft hardcore survival mode 1 player, id say its almost on par with stalker and dayz for immersion. 1 of teh best games ever probably.

The map is definantly not the biggest and greatest of any game, not even close. Fanboy detected. Edited by InsaneRuffles

There's a fair amount of blank/placeholder land north of Smirnovo or thereabouts can't be exactly sure as didn't have a compass at the time.

I'd love it if the map could be a random spawn on each server.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

Holy necro batman!

i would like a more vast immerse map that went out to 20km x 20km but it would take loads of time.

It is a need that right now does not need to be addressed, the game needs to be built up some more before that happens.

i have no idea what you are talking about.

the map is massive,

Man you sound like a kid a year later.

The map is small. No question about it. It was built small because it was originally a map meant for a milsim with combat between 50-100 people, contact nearly every minute. For a survival horror game, the map is tiny. Go try NAPF or Taviana on the mod, then you'll feel the survival horror aspect and the sense of isolation.