XeL

Small Chernarus

Even for those of you arguing that the map is "massive" (and it really doesn't feel like it) why couldn't it get a bit bigger?

The map in the original post is a good illustration, there;s plenty of room to be added, and would allow for more diverse environments, rather than trying to cram more villages into one corner of the map. It's starting to feel claustrophobic.

Just wait until vehicles are added, the map will feel much smaller then. I'd even venture to say that the current map is too small for helicopters.

Even for those of you arguing that the map is "massive" (and it really doesn't feel like it) why couldn't it get a bit bigger?

The map in the original post is a good illustration, there;s plenty of room to be added, and would allow for more diverse environments, rather than trying to cram more villages into one corner of the map. It's starting to feel claustrophobic.

Just wait until vehicles are added, the map will feel much smaller then. I'd even venture to say that the current map is too small for helicopters.

i dont see anyone in thread suggesting map couldnt get bigger

Altis

yeah of course arma 3 is the only game that has a slightly larger map than arma 2/dayz chenarus . no other game is anywhere near the scale, and only dayz uses the full scale of such a large map, apart from some arma 3 mods on altis.

ok so name a larger map in a multiplayer fps

Challenge accepted.

Chernarus is less than 1/4 size of Panau (Just Cause 2 Multiplayer).

skyrim..... 37.1 km² 
just cause 2 ....925 
 km² (mostly trees and water)
GTA 5 ...256 
 km²
red dead 
redemtion ...15.9 square miles
fuel ...
14,400 km²

i think chernarus is 225km
² ... with no invisible walls or load times making it a significantly large map imo

Challenge accepted.

Chernarus is less than 1/4 size of Panau (Just Cause 2 Multiplayer).

i asked about larger map in a  fps, not an arcade style game like just cause, yeah that is a large map, its really basic design style though looking at youtube to see it.

altis is the only answer really for larger map in fps,

• Like 1

I'd hate them to tone down the speed of the running. There's nothing more boring than having to get through a forest or whatever and doint it slowly would be horrible.

What if there were zombies everywhere, including forests? Less boring?

Does anyone know if Chernarus still gets added a few miles to the west? 

3 or 4 kilometer behind "Zelenogorsk" or "Pavlovo" would be very nice. 

Also, I find that the sea has many options to add 2 or 3 large island ... skalisty island is much too small!

What do you think?

• Like 2

i asked about larger map in a  fps, not an arcade style game like just cause, yeah that is a large map, its really basic design style though looking at youtube to see it.

altis is the only answer really for larger map in fps,

If you want to be pedantic, DayZ is "not an fps" in just the same way as JC2 is "not an fps". Both have switchable first/thrid person view. Both have shooting. Neither are streamlined linear story missions with small CS style multiplayer maps.

If JC2 isn't an FPS despite including the very basic first person and shooting elements, then what makes DayZ so much more of an FPS despite not including all the other things common to FPS like perks, buying weapons and small maps?

DayZ is a survival game. Just Cause 2 is an action game. They are both first person shooters. Panau is a bigger FPS map than Chernarus.

Smells like someone didn't want to be proven wrong. It's not a big deal, you asked a question and I answered. :)

[ed] as for basic design style, Panau also is much MUCH MUCH nicer, and more realistic, and less hardware intensive, than Chernarus at the moment.

Edited by zeeabo
  • Like 1

Wasent it said that the running Speed/Stamina is only like this during Alphurrr ?

• Like 2

map is too small??

ok go away and play another game with a bigger map

ok so name a larger map in a multiplayer fps

I'm not sure I completely understand your logic.

Yes, the map does feel small... once several criteria have been met.

Chief amongst which, is when you've already explored every nook and cranny of the map. Which happens pretty fast, at least for me.

And yeah, the map can be 1000km^2, but if the player is 50m tall... or each step is 20m... relative to the overall size of the map, it will feel smaller. This is an understated issue with map sizes. In that they can be misleading if it's not relative to the player. In other words, the measurements in-game aren't necessarily what they'd be in real life. So a meter in-game can be whatever the developers say it is.

And yes, the running speed is a big factor in making the map feel smaller. I remember when the standalone came out, someone made a thread asserting that the developers had somehow shrunk the map... because it took him only minutes to complete a trip that would normally (in the mod) have taken much longer.

A running speed of 30km/h is essentially just giving everyone a bicycle from the mod. But it's your legs... vice a bicycle.

Likewise, as the map gets filled in... it feels smaller. Meaning, the more towns/cities you put in... and the less expansive wilderness you put in... it just seems like one city after another punctuated by a few fields.

I felt all of these issues, in Skyrim. Skyrim ostensibly had a map larger than that of Oblivion. But it felt much, much, smaller to me for two reasons.

1. The player could move faster over said distance

2. A large portion of the map was filled in with impassable/unnegotiable mountains, which "pathed" the map much more so than it was in Oblivion. 

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

It is not that map is small.

It is that the players are moving 30km/h. Players are basically the vechicles fueled by canned food and water.

Vechicles are already in game and everyone is a vechicle.

Pretty much this.

Add stamina , add realistic weight system and realistic movement speed.

Change the spawn system so people spawn randomly in a house all over the map

Then watch how the "small" map suddenly feels massive.

Players should run slower, then you can enjoy the scenery more :).

Anyway would love if norther borders were expanded and we got some mountain ranges, valleys, snow, maybe blizzards etc!

Also hypothermia could happen...oh that would be something.

If they ever do add realistic speed I will love and laugh hysterically at the reddit comments.

"WTF devs you ruined game, It now takes me forever to go to berenzino and pvp why ? nobody will play game now"

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 4

Well eventually we should be able to port maps and user content? Napf is a bit bigger and i want to play Altis Arma 3 map but i dunno if that will ever be allowed..how about a DLC that allows u to play Altis if you own A3 and day z...?

The technology to go from one map to the next already exists in other games and if optimized wont be more than the blink of an eye when you switch from one server to the next after reaching the end of a map.

The technology to go from one map to the next already exists in other games and if optimized wont be more than the blink of an eye when you switch from one server to the next after reaching the end of a map.

Well..looking at the amount of time it takes to load a server, wait for textures and inventory to pop up, wait for server switch countdown, wait until i can raise my weapon after spawning and have control..I'd say it takes 2 to 3 minutes from pressing JOIN to having control of your character.

Well..looking at the amount of time it takes to load a server, wait for textures and inventory to pop up, wait for server switch countdown, wait until i can raise my weapon after spawning and have control..I'd say it takes 2 to 3 minutes from pressing JOIN to having control of your character.

All comes down to handshakes and how they are handled, an example of server crossings:

This is the Bell 407 Jetranger helicopter I finished scripting last month and when the map screen changes on the cockpit display that is when it is crossing from one server to the next.

You see the first handshake and server switch at around 1:25

I'll just mention that Vincent who made this video seems to have the rendering distance set very low, so some of the surrounding objects are taking longer to load, but with the setting higher and enough memory you can have those objects render much sooner and get better results.

Edited by TiggyPooh
  • Like 2

Wasent it said that the running Speed/Stamina is only like this during Alphurrr ?

Sort of seems that way.

Ctorchia

lol...you know top sprinting speed is almost 30km/h right now in game? That like average speed for a Tour de France competitor.

Somerandom

will this be tweaked? I find it too fast...

Ctorchia

I'd guess eventually. The designers are being nice since there are no vehicles.

https://twitter.com/ctorchia/statuses/479932508453474304

If you want to be pedantic, DayZ is "not an fps" in just the same way as JC2 is "not an fps". Both have switchable first/thrid person view. Both have shooting. Neither are streamlined linear story missions with small CS style multiplayer maps.

If JC2 isn't an FPS despite including the very basic first person and shooting elements, then what makes DayZ so much more of an FPS despite not including all the other things common to FPS like perks, buying weapons and small maps?

DayZ is a survival game. Just Cause 2 is an action game. They are both first person shooters. Panau is a bigger FPS map than Chernarus.

Smells like someone didn't want to be proven wrong. It's not a big deal, you asked a question and I answered. :)

[ed] as for basic design style, Panau also is much MUCH MUCH nicer, and more realistic, and less hardware intensive, than Chernarus at the moment.

i asked a simple question, which is name a bigger first person shooter map than dayz,

just cause is NOT  first person shooter...............

edit: are you serious? you think just cause 2 looks better than chenarus? just cause looks liek a playstation 1 game, you think that loks better than dayz standalone? haha damn. lets end thsi here, i have no more to say to you

Edited by qww

I'm not sure I completely understand your logic.

person complaining map is too small.

dayz is the the most detailed and biggest map in a pc game.

Well... let me picture it.

Current players speed in Standalone is 30km/h. Keep in mind 30km/h players speed.

Now the off-road speed of DayZ mod Skoda car is 21-24km/h (91km/h on road). GAZ car off-road road speed is 27km/h (104km/h on road). Tractor off-road speed is 39km/h and finnaly the Old Bike off-road speed is 44km/h

Players are faster then cars. And are never getting tired.

The sprint is not 30Km/hr, it is more like 15km/hr which is reasonable when sprinting at high speeds. What is not reasonable is the fact that you never get tired, and that you can sprint like that forever when, in reality, an average fit person would only be able to keep that up for a minute tops. Idk where you got 30km/hr from, I still play the mod and I drive cars at that rate and I can guarantee you characters in SA don't run that fast, that would be super hero speed.

The sprint is not 30Km/hr, it is more like 15km/hr which is reasonable when sprinting at high speeds. What is not reasonable is the fact that you never get tired, and that you can sprint like that forever when, in reality, an average fit person would only be able to keep that up for a minute tops. Idk where you got 30km/hr from, I still play the mod and I drive cars at that rate and I can guarantee you characters in SA don't run that fast, that would be super hero speed.

I saw it posted somewhere on forum..

Anyway I did the reasearch on my own by using

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

to measure 100 meters from point to point and a watch.

According to my test without weapon our character while rested sprint:

100 meters in 14 seconds which is ~25km/h

and when "tired"

100 meters in 16 seconds which is  ~22km/h

PS.

15km/h = 100 meters in 24 seconds

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 2

Would love to see northern Chernarus with some mountain and snow..

Really Good Idea @ SuperMarco!!!  Big <Snow>Mountains (more then 600 Meter) with some villages  *dreaming**

Edited by XeL

Lol, this thread is funny.  People complaining about Chernarus being too small yet want vehicles, helicopters and planes.....