gibonez

How would you combat player suicide?

Sorry this game would be mind numbingly boring for a lot of people including myself if we can't play with friends. How about fixing the glitches that randomly kill you instead of this? just a thought.

Nothing is keeping you from playing with friends.

The ideas in this thread are just ways to slow down the rate at which people kill themselves so that they do not litter the map with empty bodies and cause server strain.

I don't really see the issue here, and honestly, these bodies aren't putting that much strain on the server.

If they were not putting serious strain on the server peoples bodies would have not gone from despawning in over 6 hours to despawning in mere minutes.

I remember a long time ago devs explaining that the suicide was causing bad strain.

Edited by gibonez

Nothing is keeping you from playing with friends.

The ideas in this thread are just ways to slow down the rate at which people kill themselves so that they do not litter the map with empty bodies and cause server strain.

If they were not putting serious strain on the server peoples bodies would have not gone from despawning in over 6 hours to despawning in mere minutes.

I remember a long time ago devs explaining that the suicide was causing bad strain.

Well, having bodies disappear in a 10 minute span is probably a better solution anyway, because it still reduces strain but also reduces people going back to their corpses. It may not be very realistic, but if they somehow took enough weight off of the servers so that we could have bodies stick around for longer, then you'd see more people running back to their corpses.

There's no real perfect solution to it, even though I think it would be more realistic if we could have longer lasting bodies, as right now it's pretty easy to tell when something has gone on recently simply by the presence of a body, as it was created within the last 10 minutes.

Servers are getting optimization updates that should be able to handle the strain of more stuff. In fact, it'll be able to hold a lot more than just a few extra bodies; more zombies, more loot (that also respawns), persistent objects, more players, and just general more content on the map, like newer or expanded areas

Well, having bodies disappear in a 10 minute span is probably a better solution anyway, because it still reduces strain but also reduces people going back to their corpses. It may not be very realistic, but if they somehow took enough weight off of the servers so that we could have bodies stick around for longer, then you'd see more people running back to their corpses.

There's no real perfect solution to it, even though I think it would be more realistic if we could have longer lasting bodies, as right now it's pretty easy to tell when something has gone on recently simply by the presence of a body, as it was created within the last 10 minutes.

Servers are getting optimization updates that should be able to handle the strain of more stuff. In fact, it'll be able to hold a lot more than just a few extra bodies; more zombies, more loot (that also respawns), persistent objects, more players, and just general more content on the map, like newer or expanded areas

I like the more realistic approach to dealing with players returning to their bodies.

Realistic approach is to have a finite number of persistent bodies on the server say 50 to 100. These bodies remain at the server sorta like containers the trick is they can be moved, they can be set on fire to destroy all clothing and items, they can mutilated as a warning sign to other survivors, they also have various states of decay easily visually telling the player how long the body has been around .

For this to happen however player suicide needs to be severely reduced.

Either by a spawn timer to prevent too many frequent deaths or by completely changing the respawn timer so that you spawn in the wilderness.

I like the more realistic approach to dealing with players returning to their bodies.

Realistic approach is to have a finite number of persistent bodies on the server say 50 to 100. These bodies remain at the server sorta like containers the trick is they can be moved, they can be set on fire to destroy all clothing and items, they can mutilated as a warning sign to other survivors, they also have various states of decay easily visually telling the player how long the body has been around .

For this to happen however player suicide needs to be severely reduced.

Either by a spawn timer to prevent too many frequent deaths or by completely changing the respawn timer so that you spawn in the wilderness.

Or, just allow more manipulation to bodies and keep spawning the same. Honestly if you fail to hide a body and someone gets their stuff back, then they deserve it, even if it's unrealistic.

I can't really support a spawn timer because it would get too annoying at times and I see no reason to limit people from playing just because they've been killed. I mean, it gets to a point where you just have to question whether people suiciding is that much of a problem for you. I don't think it's enough to warrant changing anything.

• Like 1

simple...

players who dies trough zombies or fall damage near the spawnarea still respawn in the same spawnpoint for the next 1 hours.

if the player gets killed outside his spawnarea (maybe 5 km or more away) he get a new random spawnpoint

Yes, something like this. However, there would be increase in "Hey hey, kill me, please" encounters.

I want to spawn on the coast again and have all the other bambies spawn near me!

I can't tell you guys how much fun that was in the DayZ mod.

Every second spawn I would meet another survivor to team up with and travel together.

If we all spawn in the same area there is no other spawn that would make it worth while to suicide for!

Or, just allow more manipulation to bodies and keep spawning the same. Honestly if you fail to hide a body and someone gets their stuff back, then they deserve it, even if it's unrealistic.

I can't really support a spawn timer because it would get too annoying at times and I see no reason to limit people from playing just because they've been killed. I mean, it gets to a point where you just have to question whether people suiciding is that much of a problem for you. I don't think it's enough to warrant changing anything.

The spawn timer would actually never be a problem unless you are intentionally trying to kill yourself.

It is pretty hard to die 2 times within the spawn of 30 minutes atleast unintentionally.

The spawn timer would actually never be a problem unless you are intentionally trying to kill yourself.

It is pretty hard to die 2 times within the spawn of 30 minutes atleast unintentionally.

But it can happen, especially because of spawn camping. And that does happen.

It could be hard to theoretically be spawn killed twice, but dying shortly after spawn is always a possibility, and 30 minutes is quite a long time.

I'm not saying it would ever be an issue, but it's not really solving anything and could punish people who had died unintentionally, however rare.

That's why I just say leave it as it is. I see no problem with people committing suicide, so I guess that's where the argument ends, because we both see the issue inherently differently.

In regards to people doing this to rush back to their corpse why not just make their old corpse despawn when a new one exists. So when they suicide their previous corpse instantly despawns and only the bambi corpse remains 

Edited by trev186

That.

You live with what you are given and loot in the area that you randomly spawn in.

Having dozens and dozens of players mass suicide just to spawn somewhere else is counter productive .

pFMPaNy.jpg

The irony here is priceless.

You're mad that players suicide, because after you get geared up you run to Solnichny and offer them a better alternative of getting shot in the face or being handcuffed and force feed.

I remember how people used to suicide in the mod when they spawned in Kamenka. That was a great spawn, tho. Nobody bothered with it, nothing looted. ~6 easy deerstands on the way north, Zeleno, Green with 2 military spawns, Pustoshka, a bunch of barns (hello Cz550) and NWAF. Amazing route, but people are simply stupid.

• Like 2

I don't see how a player's choice to commit suicide for any reason, even to respawn, affects other players in even the slightest capacity.  

• Like 1

i dont think it matters much, we are nit picking, no-one i know does this and pretty much all the spawns are on the East Coast now, why would you even bother? You can run either way from East coast to anywhere on the coast such as berezino, NE, Solninchy, max time 15 minutes..If your going south or west it wouldnt really matter unless u spawned at say Svet..I dont see why people would do this or why its such a big deal,especially with the current spawns all in the same east area, there is not much benefit or loss from people doing this.

performance should Not be an issue, we have 40 people on the server which can apparantly hold 100, even if they are constantly dying and respawning, the server should handle this perfectly, and if it is not handling it, that is a server/game problem, not the players problem. What if 40 players meet up in one area to trade or deathmatch? The server won't handle it? We have had server crashes from just 10 people making a trade. there is a problem with server reliability and it is not to be blamed on the players just for dying, that is part of the game. Using performance for a reason is not a valid argument in my opinion. The server should handle CONSTANT dying/respawning for over 40 players. That is a problem with your engine not your player.

Edited by AgentNe0

Employ in game psychiatrists and negotiators. 

I don't see how a player's choice to commit suicide for any reason, even to respawn, affects other players in even the slightest capacity.  

It increases player densitiy around "good" spawns and creates corpses in other areas that can be looted for rags or batteries. In any case it directly affects the availability of loot and thus other players - potentially to a very high capacity.

But the bigger issue is the "potential suicide by proxy" - freshspawns going super aggressive and either succeeding getting gear froim the guy they punched down (major gain) or getting killed in the process (barely any loss).

So my suggestion: Increase the respawn timer after death to a point where its hurts to die - 10 minutes minimum maybe even more. It should always be better to survive and walk to the "better areas".

• Like 1

Suicide is realistic. People commit suicide. Many people upon waking up in such a world would opt out like that.

They should allow us to shoot our selves in the head.

Increase the consequence of death.

Decrease the chance of death from fall damage.

Increase the chance of broken legs from fall damage.

Spawn all new survivors with a life jacket.

Place 5-10 sinking sea vessels as far off the coast as the map limits allows on the East and south coast.

Instead of spawining on land, spawn players in the water 500-1000 meters off the coast.

Edited by Dallas

Easy solution:

Lock people off the server they died on for an hour or two. (Exception: server owners on their own server.)

This solves suiciding for a better spawn, it solves the running back to your corpse to regear; it solves players unfairly rejoining a gunfight they've been eliminated from; it makes permadeath mean more, since you wouldn't know the whereabouts of specific gear and other players when spawning post-death.

You'd still be able to play with your friends after you'd died, because they could just switch to the new server you'd joined.

Having dozens and dozens of players mass suicide just to spawn somewhere else is counter productive .

What is counter productive is one member of a group having to spend 20 minutes running cross counter to rejoin their friends because they died to a bugged zombie or a glitched ladder and then respawning across the map.  Now I am not saying they should be able to respawn exactly where they died but perhaps give players the option to select a location closer to their death point and then thrown in a respawn timer for doing so.  This way people can't rush back into a fight they lost but they don't have to waste a game session trying to rejoin friends either.

What is counter productive is one member of a group having to spend 20 minutes running cross counter to rejoin their friends because they died to a bugged zombie or a glitched ladder and then respawning across the map.  Now I am not saying they should be able to respawn exactly where they died but perhaps give players the option to select a location closer to their death point and then thrown in a respawn timer for doing so.  This way people can't rush back into a fight they lost but they don't have to waste a game session trying to rejoin friends either.

Later in development, there won't be glitched ladders or bugged zombies.

You're looking for the solution in the wrong place.

Later in development, there won't be glitched ladders or bugged zombies.

You're looking for the solution in the wrong place.

There will always be a source of bugs which result in player deaths, that is true in every online game.  And I not looking for a solution because I honestly don't see the problem but thanks for playing...

It's just a game.....you can't tailor everything to be realistic, Bohemia wouldn't get any sales.

Absolutely not.

This is just as bad as wanting to spawn in with friends.

Do you also want fast travel ? would you care for vehicles to spawn in front of you once you earn a kill streak too ?

I'm not talking about spawning in the general vicinity of major cities, I'm talking about dividing the entire map into 6 to 8 (maybe even less) sections and picking a random spawn from a bunch of random spawns in that large section...  This wouldn't let you spawn in with friends but it would prevent spawning in Berezino when you want to be in Balota.  NOBODY wants to run that far, immersion/realism or not.

Edited by Darth_Vaizard

You can't have an open world game where players are encouraged to do whatever they want and then say that they shouldn't do this one thing. It sucks that people will do it, I've literally never starved to death in standalone.

So you are brand new to the game, just bought it, and die to a single zombie in your first 5 minutes.  Now you can't play the game you just paid 30+ dollars for, for 10 minutes.

Or you spawn in and some one is camping your spawn point.  Come back in 10 minutes please.  Oops some one is camping that spawn point too?  Come back in another 10 minutes pls.

Any system that punishes you by NOT letting you play the game at all for any significant period of time is a terrible idea.

This. I don't pay money for a game that makes me wait 10 minutes to be able to play it. It makes no sense being restricted play time. It fucking stupid. I pay to play the game, not wait 10 minutes.