gibonez

How would you combat player suicide?

That is not a problem that requires time and atleast some effort unless you get lucky and see a zombie right when you spawn.

Timer might be good yup.

How is it not a problem? (under the assumption that suicide is a problem, something I disagree with)  That's how I suicide in towns without high places like Dubrovka or Pollana.  The zombie count is going to increase to the point where finding zombies will be trivial.  If anything, it will probably become the preferred method of suicide if fall damage remains as inconsistent as it currently is.

Do you guys put any thought at all into these "solutions??"  The holes in them are blaringly obvious if you take 5 seconds to think about it.

It's likely the reason the "problem" hasn't been addressed in any meaningful matter since the creation of the mod.  There's no easy solution, so try to at least put some thought into some creative solutions.

Edited by Bororm

How is it not a problem? (under the assumption that suicide is a problem, something I disagree with)  That's how I suicide in towns without high places like Dubrovka or Pollana.  The zombie count is going to increase to the point where finding zombies will be trivial.  If anything, it will probably become the preferred method of suicide if fall damage remains as inconsistent as it currently is.

Do you guys put any thought at all into these "solutions??"  The holes in them are blaringly obvious if you take 5 seconds to think about it.

Easy suicide is the problem , easy suicide to the point where player bodies are forced to despawn after a few minutes instead of a few hours like they should.

Thus something should be done about it a timer seems like a fine idea. A short 10 minute break when you die if the game detects you died more than once in the past 20 minutes.

Fix:

Player is killed by fall damage?

2 HOUR BAN ON EVERY SERVER

Dun dun dunnn

So you are brand new to the game, just bought it, and die to a single zombie in your first 5 minutes. Now you can't play the game you just paid 30+ dollars for, for 10 minutes.

Or you spawn in and some one is camping your spawn point. Come back in 10 minutes please. Oops some one is camping that spawn point too? Come back in another 10 minutes pls.

Any system that punishes you by NOT letting you play the game at all for any significant period of time is a terrible idea.

Your absolutely right, but the games got a history of being unforgiving and if anything it requires more incentive to survive. People travel so little they don't care about death, permadeath has become respawn to closest location, loot your own corpse and rejoin the deathmatch. They might be a little more reluctant to suicide for better spawn or rush well equipped players with there fists as fresh spawn knowing they might end up waiting 10mins.

Its not a perfect solution but the only one I can see having an effect, maybe when loot respawns people will stop suiciding because there is actually things to loot who knows.

Changing the fall damage rate wouldn't solve the issue. Players would just find taller buildings, punch then kneel in front of a zombie, swim out into the ocean and drown (not sure if that works, actually), wrassle a boar, etc. 

Spawn timers would be frustrating for all other players, and is generally not popular as a way to curb exploiters. But, if a suicide 'action' was available, paired with a predetermined penalty, then it may help. 

Or, how about dramatically reduced health upon respawn if you die within 30 mins of a fresh spawn? Or 15 mins?

the only time i've suicided out was when i got attacked by zombies right after spawn and the game glitched and i couldn't punch. other than that, I will always play the spawn i am given

Changing the fall damage rate wouldn't solve the issue. Players would just find taller buildings, punch then kneel in front of a zombie, swim out into the ocean and drown (not sure if that works, actually), wrassle a boar, etc. 

Spawn timers would be frustrating for all other players, and is generally not popular as a way to curb exploiters. But, if a suicide 'action' was available, paired with a predetermined penalty, then it may help. 

Or, how about dramatically reduced health upon respawn if you die within 30 mins of a fresh spawn? Or 15 mins?

Nobody I mean nobody would suffer from spawn timers aside from suicide people and very few very few unlucky people to die within that 10 minute grace period.

I find it silly to spend an hour+ looking for my bud and wife...

Therefor, I kill myself to save 10/30 mins.

Another option would be to choose your spawn? Of maybe a dozen choices, then all the good spawns will be hot-zones and it leaves some cold areas to meet / startup with your friends?

Just saying, if a zombie outbreak occured I would be with my wife; why would we be an hour away from eachother? My friend I could see..

Edited by UpTide

Nobody I mean nobody would suffer from spawn timers aside from suicide people and very few very few unlucky people to die within that 10 minute grace period.

Squad players would gripe about having to wait to rejoin a battle if killed in action. Unless, you find a way for the system to be able to differentiate between types of death, you could certainly penalize the suicides and not the homicides. 

Squad players would gripe about having to wait to rejoin a battle if killed in action. Unless, you find a way for the system to be able to differentiate between types of death, you could certainly penalize the suicides and not the homicides.

It wouldn't affect people who have been alive longer than 20 minutes so those squad players would be fine. They would just respawn and try to find their squad.

Letting us choose from a few large sectors of the map to spawn in, and making sure there's enough incentive for each sector, would work nicely.  Random spawns don't really make much sense to me.  We should be able to pick a random spawn but only if you want to.

Letting us choose from a few large sectors of the map to spawn in, and making sure there's enough incentive for each sector, would work nicely.  Random spawns don't really make much sense to me.  We should be able to pick a random spawn but only if you want to.

Absolutely not.

This is just as bad as wanting to spawn in with friends.

Do you also want fast travel ? would you care for vehicles to spawn in front of you once you earn a kill streak too ?

Absolutely not.

This is just as bad as wanting to spawn in with friends.

Do you also want fast travel ? would you care for vehicles to spawn in front of you once you earn a kill streak too ?

As soon as you pull the "hurr durr go play cod casual" card out any possibility of a meaningful discussion ends, please stop using that moronic argument.

DayZ is first and foremost a game, a past time, immersion is great but never at the cost of enjoyment. 

I'm laughing at this picture:

FE9dAD9.jpg?1

Those things are 10 meters high, same with lighthouses, that means impact of 14 m/s, serious injuries. Gonna be hard to prevent people from just climbing back up and throwing themselves off again. Or they could just make it so you can't climb ladders with broken legs. Give some "crawl over doorstep" animation in exchange.

I really don't care if someone wants to spend a half an hour running to a high point, jumping and praying for a closer spawn over and over.

hell it takes my friends and I about 15 minutes to group up at the most.

if you're pouting about bodies not sticking around for hours and disappearing in ten minutes instead.. big deal lol

Honestly, it just doesn't affect me. I'm seldom on the coast and even less likely to be partnering up with anyone. So I don't really mind people suiciding to roll a spawn as long as it's the result of an in-game action. Now, granted, the system was far too inconsequential in the mod where you could just hit "Respawn." But, at least now, you've got to actually climb up a mountain or something... it's a concerted effort vice just being a given.

You can't really stop folks from jumping off of things. If you make the jump distance-to-death so high, it becomes inconsequential to fall off of anything. Likewise, nothing stopping someone from just running into a pile of zombies.

Short of forcing folks to swap servers after death, which would solve a lot of issues, but is still cumbersome and prohibitive... there isn't really a solution. Moreover, the idea of this being a "problem" in the first place is up for debate as well. The only way that I personally could see this being a "problem" is if there were random spawns across the map, which, hopefully... will never be the case... as the idea is massively flawed in more ways than one.

I don't really have any issue with coming across a bunch of dead bodies because people suicide. If anything, it'd be more immersive and/or spooky to come across a heap of dead bodies than not.

I don't really think it has any tangible benefits, either. Sure, you can cycle spawns to get closer to your friends (which is more an issue of meta-gaming via TS and the like than suiciding). But so what? You're still on the coast, in a PvP clusterfuck at best and a PvP clusterfuck + threatening zombies + a lack of loot at worst.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Think there are 3 options:

1/ Let them

2/ Any deaths 1hr after a spawn lead to player being respawned at the same location

3/ Let people choose the rough area they spawn in, North, Middle or South.

That is not a problem that requires time and atleast some effort unless you get lucky and see a zombie right when you spawn.

That takes like literally no more effort than it does to find a high place and jump off.

In fact, it can be easier you can't climb up every building but if you're near any building zombies tend to spawn.

I don't see how this is a problem really...what is the issue?

If it's such a problem they shouldn't add railings everywhere that's a waste of time, just make deaths by failing have a 5 minute spawn timer or something since when people don't lag out and slide off buildings any more it was most likely intentional.

Still though I don't see the problem does people killing themselves impede your session...at all? I'd love to know how, don't give me that "immersion" crap. If people want to kill themselves they damn well should be able to there are no magical railings you can't climb over in real life to kill yourself from. Sure, you don't respawn so far as we know...but this is a game.

If people want to play with friends what's fun about spawning an hour of running time away from them?

It's either leave it alone, make it annoying or let people spawn in groups, what would you prefer? Because I'd rather a group spawning thing not happen I don't want to spawn and suddenly have a clan of 10 guys spawn behind me and destroy me.

Although perhaps I could mix in with them and escape which would be funny since I'm bound to have the same clothes and character model as at least one of them...

That takes like literally no more effort than it does to find a high place and jump off.

In fact, it can be easier you can't climb up every building but if you're near any building zombies tend to spawn.

I don't see how this is a problem really...what is the issue?

If it's such a problem they shouldn't add railings everywhere that's a waste of time, just make deaths by failing have a 5 minute spawn timer or something since when people don't lag out and slide off buildings any more it was most likely intentional.

Still though I don't see the problem does people killing themselves impede your session...at all? I'd love to know how, don't give me that "immersion" crap. If people want to kill themselves they damn well should be able to there are no magical railings you can't climb over in real life to kill yourself from. Sure, you don't respawn so far as we know...but this is a game.

If people want to play with friends what's fun about spawning an hour of running time away from them?

It's either leave it alone, make it annoying or let people spawn in groups, what would you prefer? Because I'd rather a group spawning thing not happen I don't want to spawn and suddenly have a clan of 10 guys spawn behind me and destroy me.

Although perhaps I could mix in with them and escape which would be funny since I'm bound to have the same clothes and character model as at least one of them...

I prefer the middle option you suggested.

Some kind of timer after you die only if you happen to die too many times in a short time span.

Say your character dies 2 times within the timeframe of 1 hour any death following that is met with a 10 minute timer before you can respawn.

I agree that you can never stop people from suicide but you can slow them down and hopefully that slowdown is enough to not have bodies everywhere and the servers not being strained by the players all trying to get their favorite spawn.

Edited by gibonez

Not exactly hard to fix.. Just add a massive amount of spawns to the entire map. Completely random. No point in running off a roof if my chances of getting a better location are around 1 in 1,000. Also makes for more interesting gameplay.

Edited by Hikurac

I prefer the middle option you suggested.

Some kind of timer after you die only if you happen to die too many times in a short time span.

Say your character dies 2 times within the timeframe of 1 hour any death following that is met with a 10 minute timer before you can respawn.

I agree that you can never stop people from suicide but you can slow them down and hopefully that slowdown is enough to not have bodies everywhere and the servers not being strained by the players all trying to get their favorite spawn.

That's fine.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to kill themselves 100 times an hour or anything it's probably taxing for the server to have so many bodies and spawn people so often which would ruin it for everyone else playing, especially if multiple people were going crazy with suicides.

But I don't think they should make it impossible, if they made it like the 2 deaths you suggested you still have a chance of meeting up with your buddies quicker and after that well your risk was for nothing.

Another thing they could do is make you start of starving to death or dying of thirst if you keep killing yourself seemingly for that reason like if you done it 3 times and are trying to get to a specific place you start spawning half dead. And if you still keep killing yourself you just get kicked for putting pressure on the server.

Not exactly hard to fix.. Just add a massive amount of spawns to the entire map. Completely random. No point in running off a roof if my chances of getting a better location are around 1 in 1,000. Also makes for more interesting gameplay.

You could still try and get a NW spawn by suicide if you try, so I don't think by adding more spawn areas it will eliminate suicides, but increase them.

How about the spawn areas are more concentrated in an area with reasonable loot to survive and lots of options to hide and sneak away?

Like the new city Novo.

If everyone spawned in or near the city then there is no need to suicide.

Sure there would/could be a cluster f*ck of KOS going on, but if you move stealthy you can survive and get out.

I don't really see the issue here, and honestly, these bodies aren't putting that much strain on the server.

I'd say the best solution would just be to increase the number of spawn points. Not necessarily to make them random across the map, but increasing the number so that its possible for you to spawn practically anywhere within the intended zones.

That way you can kill yourself as much as you'd like and you won't be penalized in the instance that you get spawncamped or legitimately die within a short time after you spawn, but you'll also likely be killing yourself so much to the point that you'd be better off just running to where your friends were.

This would also help alleviate running back to your corpses, as you'd still be dealing with the same issue of; is it worth trying over and over again to kill myself until I get close enough?

Sure, some people would get lucky, and it wouldn't stop anything, but it's also one of the only ways to limit it without penalizing people who play legitimately. Because let's be honest, new players can be killed very quickly after spawning, and camping of spawns does happen. The instances are rare, but it's still better to be fair to everyone when it comes to preventing exploits.

Not that this is an issue anyway, but I'd still like to see the number of spawns increased regardless of whether "fixing suicide" is something the devs want to do.

You could still try and get a NW spawn by suicide if you try, so I don't think by adding more spawn areas it will eliminate suicides, but increase them.

How about the spawn areas are more concentrated in an area with reasonable loot to survive and lots of options to hide and sneak away?

Like the new city Novo.

If everyone spawned in or near the city then there is no need to suicide.

Sure there would/could be a cluster f*ck of KOS going on, but if you move stealthy you can survive and get out.

That's why you make it random only along the coast, and only in the zones on the coast that the devs want (i.e., not the far west or far north). Meaning you could theoretically respawn five feet from where your last spawn was, or kilometers away.

Fully-randomized spawns are a bad idea, though, because you'd have some people spawning in the middle of nowhere while others could spawn right next to the NWAF barracks. The problems with that are obvious.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Sorry this game would be mind numbingly boring for a lot of people including myself if we can't play with friends. How about fixing the glitches that randomly kill you instead of this? just a thought.

@Chaingunfighter

I think less spawn points in a smaller area would stop suicide.

Simple reason is there is no reason to kill yourself for a better spawn.

I suggested the new town Novo, but my personal favorite would be somewhere near the ship on the coast.

Everyone spawns in that area in say a 2-3 km stretch of the beach and then has to get the hell off the beach and start moving inland to get food and gear. 

This is so simple and so easy to impliment.

Sure you will say there will be bandits hunting the fresh spawns and there will be hero's hunting the bandits.

That Beach Spawn is so friggin scary, you know the longer you stand around the more likely you are going to die again, so get your ass moving asap off that beach ...  :lol:

Edited by TiggyPooh