Red_Ensign

is the longhorn really useful?

found 2 longhorns today (actually within 10 minutes on the same server - weird because they're supposed to be really rare).  I left one at the entrance of a police station where nobody could miss it and I might give the other away.  I just don't see the point in it, other than the novelty.  everything it does, a pistol or a mosin both do it better.  is there something I'm missing?

It is rare. Server hopping or looting a newly restarted server means you will find them easily. It is a portable handcannon.

i dotn use it myself, but how can a handgun that fires 7.62, and has a scope, not be useful?

think about it..

It's a good weapon for non-hostile survivalists. Good for taking down game at long range, and can also be used in self defense should someone attack you. I would personally rather have a magnum because of the 6-round capacity and speed reloading potential.

It also has the highest "swag coefficient" of any weapon in the game according to the files. Whatever that means

I'd actually like to find one but no luck so far.  Where did you happen upon them?  I don't think it's useless certainly great for hunting.  I enjoy using the crossbow but for scouting things out the longhorn (had on on exp) since I haven't seen any Binos in awhile.

Ive never used one nor found one yet.. do you have to find an LRS also or does it come with one? And can you genuinely snipe with it? Range and reliability... if anyone can elaborate that would be appreciated. I'd like to know if it works as well as I imagine because it could make pistols actually useful other than a cqc oh shit moment back-up for me. ;)

Ive never used one nor found one yet.. do you have to find an LRS also or does it come with one? And can you genuinely snipe with it? Range and reliability... if anyone can elaborate that would be appreciated. I'd like to know if it works as well as I imagine because it could make pistols actually useful other than a cqc oh shit moment back-up for me. ;)

in cqc 'oh shit' moments, a gun that holds only one round is a death sentence.  you definitely wouldn't use this gun for that.

it comes with a scope and yeah you can snipe with it.  I guess the one advantage is you can conceal it, so people might not kos you for it.

It's more special than the other pistols but it still doesn't have a niche. For one, it's still 2x more inaccurate than the SKS. 

Gr8 tree plinking gun though. For pistols, I'd still use the FNX45 since it's statistically superior to all the other guns. 

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 2

in cqc 'oh shit' moments, a gun that holds only one round is a death sentence.  you definitely wouldn't use this gun for that. 

lol, no wouldn't do that. What I meant was, right now that is all pistols are good for to me.. as an oh crap back-up if ammo runs out in the rifle. But if I could legitimately snipe with a pistol then maybe I would use it.. but its already been said its not as accurate as the SKS so Ill pass on that.. 

Edited by lrish

it comes with a scope and yeah you can snipe with it.  I guess the one advantage is you can conceal it, so people might not kos you for it.

Tbh, I just experienced your cqc oh shit moment.

The gun requires two direct hits to kill a target....Good luck getting the 2nd hit if your enemy starts evading...

* The single chamber round is a massive disadvantage.

* Being unable to switch to iron sights places another disadvantage to the weapon as-well.

The weapons purpose is for ranged combat, but your better off just using  mosin of which can chamber five bullets as oppose to the longhorn which can only chamber one.

* Both the FNX and 1911 are better choices for a side-arm

The only time I'd use a longhorn is if I don't have any other weapon.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 2

It's usefull to snipe people on the roofs if you don't have other scoped weapon.

Yeahh as long as there is no fatigue or stamina system, using anything that isyn't (semi)automatic gun with 6+ bullets in close combat is a bad idea.

If you have mosin, longhorn, blaze or shotgun you'll better equip hoe or axe while in city.

It's more special than the other pistols but it still doesn't have a niche. For one, it's still 2x more inaccurate than the SKS. 

Gr8 tree plinking gun though. For pistols, I'd still use the FNX45 since it's statistically superior to all the other guns. 

yeah I use the fnx45.  15 round clip and one shot will stop most zombies.  I carry an sks too, but almost never use it.

I have yet to find one but than again i have been playing sparsely here and there too.

Yeahh as long as there is no fatigue or stamina system, using anything that isyn't (semi)automatic gun with 6+ bullets in close combat is a bad idea.

If you have mosin, longhorn, blaze or shotgun you'll better equip hoe or axe while in city.

I don't think Mosin is that bad, but yes, it is not ideal for CQB :-D.

I don't think Mosin is that bad, but yes, it is not ideal for CQB :-D.

Maybe when they make bayonet useful it will change.

• Like 1

Maybe when they make bayonet useful it will change.

Oh yes, working bayonets!! That would make both Mosin and SKS so badass.

edit: Wonder how they implement this feature. Do you think they will allow binding of specific key, or make it so you have to switch into bayonet mode and then stab with LMB?

Edited by Hombre

Oh yes, working bayonets!! That would make both Mosin and SKS so badass.

edit: Wonder how they implement this feature. Do you think they will allow binding of specific key, or make it so you have to switch into bayonet mode and then stab with LMB?

I hope bayonet damage will activate as soon as you press space bar to raise the weapon and you just poke people with it and this do the damage.

I hope bayonet damage will activate as soon as you press space bar to raise the weapon and you just poke people with it and this do the damage.

Hmm not sure if implementing of this would be easy. I guess, that having to actively stab, will be how they do it, but let's wait and see.

But I definitely look forward for working bayonets!

edit: Would also love being able to bash somebody with buttstock of my rifle with some okish chance to knock them to the ground or even KO for few moments. I mean rifle buttstock is far better for knocking out people when compared to bare fists right?

Edited by Hombre

found 2 longhorns today (actually within 10 minutes on the same server - weird because they're supposed to be really rare).  I left one at the entrance of a police station where nobody could miss it and I might give the other away.  I just don't see the point in it, other than the novelty.  everything it does, a pistol or a mosin both do it better.  is there something I'm missing?

Dude,do you want to trade it for fully customized M4 with 4 mags of 60 bullets? PM me if yes  :)

Edited by Miki Grom

the longhorn hits targets up to 200 m quite acurate. and the sound is AWSOME ! 

its a nice to have but no "need" to be sucessfull.

Have yet to find one but doubt i'll grab it due to the single shot. However on the bayonet thing a few posts back they could just make them function like they do in Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars. You simply press X and it switches to the bayonet and you click to stab then a quick press of X and your back to shooting. I doubt it would be that difficult to implement something along the lines of that.