FrostDMG

Hit detection is still absolutely abysmal.

Can someone explain to me what sort of magical algorithm is used for hit detection? Do I have to spin clockwise 3 times, then counterclockwise 2 times, following that draw a pentagram and shoot? Will that register my shots?

So, since SKS, Sporter, Blaze or AKM don't seem to kill in one headshot, I guess only the Mosin is a viable choice now.

I've been in firefights where I shot the enemy in the head, then in the body - dude still runs off. Not even knocked out. I've had a friend of mine get shot by 4 or 5 Mosin rounds but he barely lost any blood - all of his items were ruined though, so he definitely was hit.

I just don't get this. There is absolutely no consistency between firefights. I've also checked my ping and the ping of people that I actually managed to kill - never above 100, mostly around 40.

Are you carrying your lucky rabbits foot with you? I suspect not, and therefore have zero sympathy for your frustration.  I have mine 24/7 and i manage to hit people with my shots.........sometimes.   :D

Edited by jamieslingz

Can someone explain to me what sort of magical algorithm is used for hit detection? Do I have to spin clockwise 3 times, then counterclockwise 2 times, following that draw a pentagram and shoot? Will that register my shots?

..//..

yes, the 3/2 spin works

also if you a lvl 17 gunmage the pentagram works

otherwise just stand closer

(but not too close)

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 5

yes, the 3/2 spin works

(but not too close)

rofl

u has my beanz

Lot's of people (that I have encountered) with blaze/mosin already gieved up shooting on distance greater then 50 meters, and they always try to charge me and shoot only when they are 2-3 meters away from me.

Lot's of people (that I have encountered) with blaze/mosin already gieved up shooting on distance greater then 50 meters, and they always try to charge me and shoot only when they are 2-3 meters away from me.

I know, I was hoping to try the Blaze from 420 meters away but I won't be able to hit anything.

• Like 5

yes, the 3/2 spin works

(but not too close)

sadly this is what dayz has become. thier stupid exagerated dispersion cones and attachment stats combined with dodgy hit detection. way to go rocket and BIS. you spent so much time trying to take arma's gunplay out of dayZ that you've completely broken an element that was 100% functional as is and needed no further work.

• Like 2

I know, I was hoping to try the Blaze from 420 meters away but I won't be able to hit anything.

I see everything you did there....

• Like 1

sadly this is what dayz has become. thier stupid exagerated dispersion cones and attachment stats combined with dodgy hit detection. way to go rocket and BIS. you spent so much time trying to take arma's gunplay out of dayZ that you've completely broken an element that was 100% functional as is and needed no further work.

Yup. 100% agree. Never change a running system. But it seems they changed it, and what did we get? Fuck all that's what.

BUT PAYDAY MASKS LELELELELEL. 

Yup. 100% agree. Never change a running system. But it seems they changed it, and what did we get? Fuck all that's what.

BUT PAYDAY MASKS LELELELELEL. 

basicly. i guess a gimped cash grab is the "rocket's vision" everyone seems to think is some sort of divine edict. rofl. I have already uninstalled the SA from my drive and give it 10-15% or less hopes of ever being worthy of a re-install in my eyes. i'll continue enjoying the mod tho which thanks to 3rd party modders is doing as well as ever.

basicly. i guess a gimped cash grab is the "rocket's vision" everyone seems to think is some sort of divine edict. rofl. I have already uninstalled the SA from my drive and give it 10-15% or less hopes of ever being worthy of a re-install in my eyes. i'll continue enjoying the mod tho which thanks to 3rd party modders is doing as well as ever.

I recommend getting DayZero and playing on SE2 - hardcore only (no retard 3p bullshit) - server usually pretty busy, has 50 people playing even during the night.

Arma's hit detection was largely calculated client side I'm pretty sure, that's why it felt a lot more consistent.

Items absorbing damage has so many factors to it that it seems very random.  Hopefully that will be tweaked and balanced, most likely in beta.

Most of the guns have really bad dispersion so hitting headshots consistently at range is pretty difficult/luck based.  Again, probably won't be tweaked till beta I bet.

Lag/desync kinda stuff makes hitting people a pain.  Hopefully as they optimize it improves, but any online game of this scale is going to suffer from lag problems.

I agree it needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

Pretty much

Shooting in Arma 2 was really good why screw it up.

Bororm hit the nail on the head. Lets not just jump to conclusions .. Again, and start slamming the Dev's for adding masks.

Funny, people still not grasping this whole concept, the game isn't even out of Alpha, let alone in Beta yet half of you still expect everything to work and be finished.

SMH.

Sorry to be "That guy", but I like the daft dispersion. DayZ is meant to be a game where you're just a survivor, so being an expert with a rifle straight off the bat isn't really authentic. If you wandered up the road and picked up an M4, you'd be hard pressed to hit anything on full auto fire from the off. Hopefully we'll see some sort of progression added during beta to increase weapon handling skill over time or something. 

I've never really had any problems with gunplay to be honest, I nailed a clan of five at NEAF with my hardcore character using an M4 with damaged attachments and didn't think "woah, I can't hit anything with this gun".

• Like 1

randomized dispersion is incredibly infuriating...I really wish a dev would give us a sign, or update, or SOMETHING to indicate if and when this will be fixed or worked on.

But the devs don't like to talk to us here. Just twitter and reddit. which I hate with a passion (twitter and reddit).

Oh well. Rest of the game is spot on for the most part IMO.

• Like 1

Sorry to be "That guy", but I like the daft dispersion. DayZ is meant to be a game where you're just a survivor, so being an expert with a rifle straight off the bat isn't really authentic. If you wandered up the road and picked up an M4, you'd be hard pressed to hit anything on full auto fire from the off. Hopefully we'll see some sort of progression added during beta to increase weapon handling skill over time or something. 

I've never really had any problems with gunplay to be honest, I nailed a clan of five at NEAF with my hardcore character using an M4 with damaged attachments and didn't think "woah, I can't hit anything with this gun".

If you don't understand that no matter how inexperienced you are with a rifle it'll still shoot straight, I feel sorry for you.

• Like 1

randomized dispersion is incredibly infuriating...I really wish a dev would give us a sign, or update, or SOMETHING to indicate if and when this will be fixed or worked on.

But the devs don't like to talk to us here. Just twitter and reddit. which I hate with a passion (twitter and reddit).

Oh well. Rest of the game is spot on for the most part IMO.

Good joke about the rest of the game.

And this isn't to do with random dispersion. This is to do with registering the hits. I can hit a guy and see the BLOOD COME OUT OF HIS HEAD then TORSO but he'll still walk away. 

And this isn't to do with random dispersion. This is to do with registering the hits. I can hit a guy and see the BLOOD COME OUT OF HIS HEAD then TORSO but he'll still walk away. 

I suspect that weird system of items absorbing the damage of bullet, can be the cause of this.

It is ofc stupid, that when I get hit in the chest, bullet ruins like 4-5 items, ruins tac vest and jacket, and then does rather small damage to me.

I mean it'd be cool if 1 bullet ruined 1 item in vest and 1 item in jacket, but that bullet should probably still do considerable damage to the player.

When speaking about headshots, nothing except ballistic helmet, should save the player obviously, no matter how many cans he has in vest,jacket,pants or backpack.

Previously, in Arma 2, only problem with hit detection was that noticeable delay, before it got applied.

Now, most of such things should be server-wise, yet it often feels wonkier.

Oh well, let's see what future brings, I still refuse to call Devs liars.

• Like 1

What's even worse is the delay. Today I got engaged in the ATC at NWAF. I shot my mosin into his chest, from so close that the barrel literally touched his chest. He panic sprays, hits me in the arm with his SKS after 4 damn shots. I instantly die, then he dies... 

What's even worse is the delay. Today I got engaged in the ATC at NWAF. I shot my mosin into his chest, from so close that the barrel literally touched his chest. He panic sprays, hits me in the arm with his SKS after 4 damn shots. I instantly die, then he dies...

You gotta love that. Hitting someone first only for them to spray and kill you in one shot

Yeah, its bad. But again, there is a reason why the patch versions begin with '0'.

Rocket should of followed the same template as Planetary Annihilation. Price the game at £70 so only those that are geuinly interested in helping develop this game will invest.

• Like 1

It wasn't a joke. Aside from other minor issues that will be fixed eventually, and the dispersion, I LIKE the current build. Don't put words in my mouth.

And if you see blood come out and he still walks away, then there ISNT an issue with hit detection, but rather with damage infliction. Obviously you HIT him, or blood wouldn't be spurting.

So, yeah.

Yeah, its bad. But again, there is a reason why the patch versions begin with '0'.

Rocket should of followed the same template as Planetary Annihilation. Price the game at £70 so only those that are geuinly interested in helping develop this game will invest.

But then they wouldn't be able to do their cashgrab.

SA would have never been built as we know it. It would have merely been a standalone A2/A3 port of mod.