Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

Oh look guy with M4, shoot! bang! bang! bang! PvP prevented? Nope!

Just make being a Bandit a bitch and problem solved. Lone wolf is still encouraged. What stops people from killing other people in real life? It's sure as shit not a bandit skin. It's a mixture of morals, laws and common sense. Laws no longer apply so morals and common sense still do.

Edited by Shrimpy223

How?

Zombies could sense the recent death of a player and go to the corpse for fresh meat. They will continue to go to a corpse until a server restart or the body is hidden. Non regenerating humanity. Humanity gained for killing Bandits (amount dependent on humanity of bandit) people. More benefits of having a higher humanity. Faster movement speed, perform medical tasks more effeciently (you've had practice on other players) etc

Zombies could sense the recent death of a player and go to the corpse for fresh meat. They will continue to go to a corpse until a server restart or the body is hidden. Non regenerating humanity. Humanity gained for killing Bandits (amount dependent on humanity of bandit) people. More benefits of having a higher humanity. Faster movement speed, perform medical tasks more effeciently (you've had practice on other players) etc

I like where you are going, but it's difficult to keep it realistic. For example, faster movement speed is good but makes no sense if there is no further explanation. The medical tasks part is awesome, but bandits could practice too.

If we run out of options I would have no problem with these penalizations. I prefer that over trolls ruining the game.

A way to make it realistic could be assigning a role to each character on creation. If you are a normal guy (eg: 90% chance), and kill people for no reason, you get penalizations, like a feel of guilt that makes you slow or fail more often in your tasks; if you are good, you get a bonus in happyness. If you are an (american =p) psycho, you get no penalizations, but no bonuses either. There could also be an attribute for this: Empathy. If it's > 90 you are normal, if it's < 10 you can be considered a psycho. It could even change during the game, eg: all your friends get killed, your empathy goes down to 0 and you become a merciless avenger.

Another thing could be NPCs that offer rewards and give information about bandits. That would encourage people to form anti bandit squads.

Bandits should be like PK's in mmorpg games like Lineage 2: being a PK is fun, but is not for everyone because it's risky and people will hunt you. So only a small percentage of the players become PK, good guys can have fun too, and the game stays balanced.

Edited by shanewalsh

Would think making a kill less usefull would be the thing in this scenario. maybe 50% of the gear gets destroyed upon death. and you don´t have a kill count, you have a survive time instead. if you survived the longest you are the best. ;) you could have people who want dm matches que to a pvp place there they can shoot how many they want like in mmorpgs :)

Stop WHINING. Rocket has already hinted that he doesn't care if you die when you spawn in. He wants to create a game that puts all the choices in the players hands. So if a player wants to go to the coast and ensure safe haven for new spawns, then so be it. If someone wants to run along the coast shooting fresh spawns, then so be it. If you run through town screaming FRIENDLY FRIENDLY FRIENDLY waving white flags and someone pops you in the face, SO BE IT.

Stop trying to mainstream and make this game easier. There should be no ingame penalties for the choices you make, as they are your choices to make in this sandbox. We don't need any visual cues that a player is good/bad. That is up for you to determine with your own eyes and interacting with that individual.

As for the op, I agree the game needs DEPTH and Content. Right now, there is none and so for such a reason players have resorted to killing one another for entertainment. Even if the game manages to incorporate every suggestion ever given, at some point people will get bored. People will get tired of going through the hassle of collecting and gathering, only to die. So they will spawn, collect enough to arm themselves and then go hunt people to get their shit/for sport; it's inevitable.

You are wrong on everything you said.

Actually I am correct on everything I said... I wish I had your debate skills in just feeble attempts to say "You're wrong" without any proof. Here is my proof, dumbass. http://www.eurogamer...-and-a-for-dayz

Edited by Dreygar

Can someone please finally make this thread sticky?^^ (pinned)

Would be nice I think!

The major flaw lies in taking PvP out of a game that is basically PvP. And the experiment that this game is, is about the interaction between players when the social constraints are lowered or actually completely removed.

I beg to differ, it's not real PVP, it's survival with freedom of interaction between players. Players make it PVP or not.

And regarding the "experiment", I don't think DayZ can be compared to real life at all (zombies aside). In real life there's this thing... fear of death, which many people don't have ingame because they can respawn. That and human empathy, which is already minimized on the internet, fades even further in a game. Add that up and you get the current DayZ deathmatch mode.

John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory + survival = the current state of the game.

Also I'd rather say "oh thank god" when I see someone, not "oh shit he's gonna kill me"

^This ! this this this this Edited by Rivy
  • Like 2

Actually I am correct on everything I said... I wish I had your debate skills in just feeble attempts to say "You're wrong" without any proof. Here is my proof, dumbass. http://www.eurogamer...-and-a-for-dayz

Yeah, calling names added a lot to your argument, lol.

And that video proves nothing of what you said. Clearly you don't understand the difference between a hardcore game and a game of trolls. Nobody is complaining about it being difficult. I already know my way around the game, I can gear up and start killing players just like the next guy. But that's not a zombie apocalypse game, it's more like counter-strike meets zombies, with the false promise that you are free. You are not free, you are forced to become a bandit, there is no other option. When you see players shooting other players and just ignoring zombies, even if they are being chased by 50 of them, you know there is something wrong with the game.

You probably don't give a shit about zombies, you just liked the trolling and watching people's reactions in the forums. But for many of us this is a big deal, and want it to become a great zombie apocalypse survival game.

Edited by shanewalsh

Also lack of communication and lack of need to cooperation.

There is no need to trade. There is plenty of stuff in well know places.

People play with friends, in predefined groups, on voice communicators.

DayZ lack good communication system ingame. There is no shouting or radio or notes even.

What about to change skins from something you find,or humanity based,to instead show how long you have survived.Say every in game 10 hours you survive you get a better looking skin.50 hours of hard survival and you spot a player off in distance....will you try to take him down??Trust me people will be much more careful to lose their kool looking rare skin.;)Here is to hoping that SA is harder to survive so that 10 hours of in-gameplay means the player was constantly struggling to find food and drink and not just geared up sitting someplace burning away the hours to earn the skin as so many MMO players grind away for dayz to achieve something new.Maybe even make 5 different skins each for low and high humanity players,though I hate humanity as I have never ever had a person ask me to bandage them?!?!

Problem is that it can be so harsh to get killed that people may give up.;(Maybe a system where 5 hours of survival gets you to keep the new skin you achieved but if after achieving the new skin you only last 4 hours then you revert back to previous skin.....

Oh I got it. Add grenades to the game so you can pull the pin as your last action and then the bandits lose all your gear because you explode. There, 99% kos fixed xD

(I'm jk)

• Like 1

Yeah, calling names added a lot to your argument, lol.

And that video proves nothing of what you said. Clearly you don't understand the difference between a hardcore game and a game of trolls. Nobody is complaining about it being difficult. I already know my way around the game, I can gear up and start killing players just like the next guy. But that's not a zombie apocalypse game, it's more like counter-strike meets zombies, with the false promise that you are free. You are not free, you are forced to become a bandit, there is no other option. When you see players shooting other players and just ignoring zombies, even if they are being chased by 50 of them, you know there is something wrong with the game.

You probably don't give a shit about zombies, you just liked the trolling and watching people's reactions in the forums. But for many of us this is a big deal, and want it to become a great zombie apocalypse survival game.

Did you watch the video? I know it's about 38* minutes long and might be beyond your attention span.

Edited by Dreygar

Did you watch the video? I know it's about 38* minutes long and might be beyond your attention span.

Yes I watched it. Nowhere in the video someone says that it is 0K to get killed by bandits the second you spawn. Your retarded argument stays retarded.

Start the video at 19 minutes, and listen carefully... here i'll paraphrase.

"If bandits are causing an issue and people killing new players on spawn... well, then you guys have to do something about it and form vigiliantes."

Yes I watched it. Nowhere in the video someone says that it is 0K to get killed by bandits the second you spawn. Your retarded argument stays retarded.

I guess that makes me a troll and a retard because I actually provided a valid argument where you just talk out your ass.

Start the video at 19 minutes, and listen carefully... here i'll paraphrase.

"If bandits are causing an issue and people killing new players on spawn... well, then you guys have to do something about it and form vigiliantes."

Wow that sucks. Faith in Day Z lost.

I can see this working in two ways. Players will cooperate more often, or it will give players more reasons to kill on sight.

Ok I came up with another idea, I think this would allow for bandits to stay being bandits without being punished, and still have a motivation not to be a bandit, to be a good guy, and get a reward that does not affect the gameplay.

http://dayzmod.com/f...06459-the-cure/

Edited by shanewalsh

IMO, being able to find a cure isn't what the game is about.

It is sandbox style and it should always be sandbox style.

Set your own goals!

I'm all for making the game more difficult. Right now it's not hard at all. Once you realize zombies are virtually zero threat it becomes very easy to "survive". Finding loot... even good loot... isn't difficult.

Just making the game harder isn't going to squelch killing people on sight. As some have indicated it may actually get worse. This would be because your loot is now much more valuable.

As it stands now there really isn't that much to do beyond PvP. The only real challenge in the game is fighting other people.

We need more options, more tools, and more freedom. Give us more stuff to do but better yet give us more tools so WE can generate things to do. We need more challenges to try and overcome beyond killing each other. PvP should remain a big part of this game but right now it's like the only thing to do.

• Like 1

I'd say the scarcity of food and other essential loot mechanics would require a lot of testing and balancing, always keeping realism in mind off course. As for the other mechanics being suggested, great ideas but it will require more hard work on the developers part and I'm betting they have their hands full right now.

What I do believe can be changed in the next update, and what will to a point prevent the increase in "deathmatching" is decreasing the amount of ammo spawns. I can be persuaded to go as far as saying that you should completely remove all the AS 50s, L85 AWS's and those types of weapons but the real problem isn't how common they are, it's how common the ammunition is.

By making the AS 50 NATO/M107 rounds impossible to find other than when you find the gun, or maybe not necessarily even then, it will make people a lot more cautious when using the weapon. As for the more common ammo such as STANAG, AKM and AK mags, I think they should be made just as rare as the m107 rounds are now.

Also, want a living hell? keep the game the way it is now. Haha (<-- sarcastic comment)

I dunno. Making ammo scarce might influence even more violence? Instead of killing for food, you'll be killed for ammo?

I don't really think people kill for food. They kill because it's easier to get rid of someone they don't trust rather than going through the whole complicated process of learning to trust them. It has to do with always expecting to be stabbed in the back. In real life people generally don't get killed by other people a lot. But imagine a real apocalypse, people wouldn't trust other people and the only thing stopping someone from killing another person who has nothing might simply be the respect one living human being has for another. In the mod this respect doesn't really exist, at least, not anymore.

The reason I suggested removing ammo was simply because scarce ammo means that there is no guarantee that someone pointing a gun at you has ammo for it.They could simply be bluffing. Naturally, this would change this game considerably, so I doubt they would implement such a change anytime soon. There are to many players who play this game just as regularly as any AAA title meaning that any game-changing.. hmm well changes will mean people may react very negatively. Imagine playing your favorite game (other than DayZ) and then the developer suddenly changes the balance completely, adds and removes loads of features. I don't think people will be very happy with that. Therefore any major suggestions other than small additions will probably never be made in the mod. One can only hope they make the standalone version more consistent with the idea of realism/survival.

Edited by Admiral Skeybar

tl:dr,

make items more scarce? lol, I usually kill people so I don't have to look for the tools I need.

+1 for the time it must have taken you to write that though