Sign in to follow this  
thelonelyone

MASSIVE FPS drop in cities.

So today I'm going to talk about somehting that... Always bugged me on DayZ.

FPS Drops.

Yeah, no one, I mean NO ONE, can get good constant FPS in cities/fields, even with a 780 it's impossible to get good graphics WITH good FPS, at least in cities. I always had this FPS issue because I have a Medium End PC, but if I'm patient and I do some config changes and stuff to improve my frames, I can play it with pretty good FPS. And it works in most games, but it seems like that in the past few updates, not even changing launch pre-sets and other shit works.

I can boost this bad boy up to 1080p, 100% Render Resolution, Post Process on Medium (MAYBE Ambient Occlusion), shadows and all of that shit and get good FPS on fields/forests, going up to 40 FPS! But... Then I enter a city... I lose about 90% of the Frames that I get in forests/fields.

I go from 35~40FPS to, literally, 5~10FPS with CONSTANT freezes and almost crashes.

Is anyone having this almost game breaking issue or is it just me?

I can walk around a city, look at it from a distance that it only drops about 5 FPS, but when I ENTER the city, shit hits the fan and I end up dying because I get hit by zombies while my character stops moving.

This will get fixed soon, I'm sure of it, but for now I want to know if I'm not alone!

It's been a persistent problem since the mod days. I believe it's something to do with a renderer? Not too sure.

It's been a persistent problem since the mod days. I believe it's something to do with a renderer? Not too sure.

As I said, it has been REALLY bad in the past 2 updates.

I play DayZ since 2012 and honestly, I know what is city lag, and this is WAY worst, it's really weird.

They will make it so it's not THAT bad, even with the "New" Engine that's coming up. But for now, as I said again, I want to know if I'm not completely alone!

If you are going from 40 fps to 10 fps when you enter a large built up area something is wrong on your side (settings) or your cpu is not up to the job.

I've been testing this since the pre alpha, initially there was a 25% drop (40 = 30)

You can test by simply turning away when positioned just outside of the rendering distance or place yourself inside the wooden barn (MR 029/099) east of Zelenogorsk and look away from the town,

this is just one example.

The trouble here is that the town is being rendered although you are inside and looking straight at the wooden wall.

Other SDKs / Engines (UnrealEd for example) will cull or block what is not being rendered.

Lets hope that the newly named Infusion/Enfusion  (or whatever it's called) will be able to do something along these lines.

Things greatly improved with the last update when slap bang in the middle of the new town Chapaevsk north of Balota airfield in the high rise buildings.

That being said client side optimisation has yet to be implemented, although constantly being worked on and people still get important fps drops, AMD builds seem to suffer more than Intels.

I would not have posted but your 90% drop is misleading as far as I'm concerned.

Carry on...

• Like 2

I have "meh" FPS overall, not just in cities. DayZ mod seems to be running much smoother now for me than the SA.

GPU: GTX 770, CPU: 4670k

If you are going from 40 fps to 10 fps when you enter a large built up area something is wrong on your side (settings) or your cpu is not up to the job.

I've been testing this since the pre alpha, initially there was a 25% drop (40 = 30)

You can test by simply turning away when positioned just outside of the rendering distance or place yourself inside the wooden barn (MR 029/099) east of Zelenogorsk and look away from the town,

The trouble here is that the town is being rendered although you are inside and looking straight at the wooden wall.

Other SDKs / Engines (UnrealEd for example) will cull or block what is not being rendered.

Lets hope that the newly named Infusion/Enfusion  (or whatever it's called) will be able to do something along these lines.

Things greatly improved with the last update when slap bang in the middle of the new town Chapaevsk north of Balota airfield in the high rise buildings.

That being said client side optimisation has yet to be implemented, although constantly being worked on and people still get important fps drops, AMD builds seem to suffer more than Intels.

I would not have posted but your 90% drop is misleading as far as I'm concerned.

Carry on...

I had similar i.e. 30-40 in the woods and then a crazy drops in cities. Drove me insane. Played another say 50 hours, tried all the options but then my pc started shutting down after 20 mins. Turns out it just needed a clean and what was happening was once the gpu started doing real work and producing heat it was basically just recirculating hotter and hotter air until it shut down to protect itself. 

So the op should open up their pc and give it a clean. Dayz was the only game to push my pc hard enough that it would overheat so much as to affect performance.

• Like 1

FPS drop in city = CPU loading.

Switching some graphics settings to Low actually adds more load to the CPU.

The only way to reduce this (judging from the various performance threads) is to have an overclocked Intel CPU running above 4GHz.

Myth.

• Like 1

Last time I tried to play the SA on my less than stellar laptop, dropping the Detail levels to Low increased GPU load.

The latest patch (.45) on experimental has been quite bad for my system and I've seen a drop of maybe 10 fps overall and I'm lucky to be sitting in the low 20's in cities. The previous patch (.44) didn't suffer as much, and it had continued the trend of improving frame rates with each new patch.

One thing I did notice about .45 is that, using Afterburner to check the % usage of my chip and card, the card is no longer at full usage - in .44 it would be. This suggests to me that there is something going on in the server that is causing the lag rather than my client.

Obviously the move to 64 bit servers, and by assumption multi-cored servers, along with the gradual shift of the client away from Dx9 will see an improvement again. It's all 'swings and round-a-bouts' to be honest and I expect the performance to pickup again. It should be noted that the devs, as far as I am aware, have not spent any dedicated time optimising the client other than what was necessary for the game to run.

Ultimately we have 2 benchmarks for DayZ SA in order to gauge the frame rate and performance; Arma 3 and the mod on Arma 2, both of which run terribly in comparison to other similar games. With this in mind I expect DayZ SA will never run particularly well until one of two things happen; either the devs decouple the rendering engine completely and move it to something like Unreal or CryEngine, or technical advances in graphics and cpus negates the problem of the poorly optimised engine. Clearly the latter of those two is the most likely.

FPS drop in city = CPU loading.

The only way to reduce this (judging from the various performance threads) is to have an overclocked Intel CPU running above 4GHz.

Last time I tried to play the SA on my less than stellar laptop, dropping the Detail levels to Low increased GPU load.

Lol make your mind up, which one?!

Carry on...

I'm an AMD user but as there are feedback tickets with hundreds of posts made also by Intel I core 7 high-ends nerd fans, then the problem is about the game. Not the PCs.

Mine is an Amd FX 8350....that stands as the same as the performance of an i7-2600...And as i came from intel i really taken 1 month to be sure if this was the right choice, and both are CPU that should blow away this game.

And as it is a 2008 engine that on those time worked on Quad Core, there are no excuses that the game laggs on any configurations over here. It's engine problem.

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 1

mhhh i found it to be running smoother since the update...no noticable slow downs in the new City.

mine is more like 50 fps in wilderness and 30-40fps in cities.

I have used lots of tweaks like the launch options, restricting max FPS, turned off post processing (I just use FXAA Low) and ambient off..I also changed my view distance to 1800 instead of 3000..i have tried everything to get better..My PC is medium to good (i5 4670K with gtx 660).. so i dont expect 60 all the time, but it would be nice if they could add view distance / object distance to the menus instead of just the config as they have the most difference....

Finally it is different when I load of Chernarus plus in Arma 3..i get a constant 60fps even in cities. So i do not understand it. And yes i know standalone hasn't been optimised, but it is still information relevant to this discussion. Also, don't say About arma not having any objects or loot or zombies. I have played Breaking point and other mods which have Altis map, larger map, plus more zombies and vechicles and still pumping out 60 FPS with better overall textures and graphics.

Can't wait for the new engine and 64 bit server if that is going to help this stuff