wordplayuk@gmail.com

Fully populated night servers / More NVGs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Having listened to the suggestions given, I actually took a Uturn on my opinion.

- I'm no longer for more NVG's, you can follow the posts if you care to see why...

-Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--original--

The night is great but I want to share it with more than just farmers, dupers, and hackers. More than just the few bandits that prey on the aforementioned. Maybe a few survivors.

Suggestion: NVGs spawn at all three airfields, and the bunkers in Stary Sober as well as crashed hellis, with double the chance of spawning.

This is a voting thread, please vote yes or no. If your feeling really constructive, a reason for or even a counter suggestion for how they can help populate night servers would be great.

The night is great but I want to share it with more than just farmers' date=' dupers, and hackers. More than just the few bandits that prey on the aforementioned. Maybe a few survivors.

Suggestion: NVGs spawn at all three airfields, and the bunkers in Stary Sober as well as crashed hellis, with double the chance of spawning.

This is a voting thread, please vote yes or no. If your feeling really constructive, a reason for or even a counter suggestion for how they can help populate night servers would be great.

[/quote']

Yes

No.

They are already far to widespread (most likely to dupers) and personally, I feel that NVGs being as common as they are now is a bit to much, to the point i'm not really sure they should even be in dayz. Along with all the thermal and NV scoped guns. The crashed Helis have been counter-productive IMO. there should be less Military-grade kit, not more.

It makes the mod feel less about 'survival' and more into a Mil-grade shooter with zeds.

I can appreciate that Never, do you play on night servers without NVGs? I can see how if they were entirely removed then that could inadvertently encourage more people to play at night since the playing field would be more level.

But when you say they're "widespread", are they, among survivors?

@Warren, If the servers are empty at night or people choose to server hop to day time serves "what's the point of night time?"

or even a counter suggestion for how they can help populate night servers would be great.

Make night not so dark?

*ducks under volleys of rotten fruit*

I can appreciate that Never' date=' do you play on night servers without NVGs? I can see how if they were entirely removed then that could inadvertently encourage more people to play at night since the playing field would be more level.

But when you say they're "widespread", are they, among survivors?

[/quote']

A few times i've loved nighttime play, but this was a few patches back before the heli drops were fixed, haven't had the time to play much recently. But back then it was mainly about seeking like a fox or using the flare and run tactics, depended on how full the moon was. But it was great fun and you didn't have a feeling there was 45 NVG Hannibal Lectors touching your bum in the dark. That said i'm not convinced that nighttime is that bad these days. I just don't think all this gucci loot fits smoothly with the mod, It used to seem like it was about making-do and surviving with whatever shitty weapons you could find, now it almost like half the users are tolled up like a goddamn Predator!

I've killed a few 'players' that were holding 4 or 5 NVGs at once. My guess is, they are duping.

And i've stumbled into clan groups that all had them, like a group of 8+ people.

Personally the whole 'Bandit' meme doesn't hold any water, there will be a time when every player hunts for sport. And clans that tooled up are going to kill you on sight if you (or they pretty much) are friendly or not.

That said i did have NVG for about 4 days once, I was a dick.

I do not think the player count would rise on the night time servers if Rocket would rise the nvg drop locations or drop chances. He made the nights brighter on the second week from the release(?), did not increase the player count, the arma 2 patch came that made nights pitch black (and gamma whoring "impossible"), did not chance the player count and now the nights are greyish, again=people do not like to play if it's "dark".

What i would personally like to see is; remove the nvg altogether, most of them are already duped versions and thus only gives advantage to ones who go so low as duping items/cheating. This would hopefully lead to people actually using flares, chemlights & flashlights sometimes.

Rather remove them completely and I agree with Never that I would like to see more common civilian gear and less mil-grade.

Rather remove them completely and I agree with Never that I would like to see more common civilian gear and less mil-grade.

Goes abit off-topic, but i agree. Sad fact is that in the last week, i've seen more players with .50 cals on them than ones with cz550s/lee enfields/winchesters.

I do hear that argument and in essence I'm trying to making a similar one. I guess I was just coming at it from the other end of the spectrum.

At the moment it's the groups you mentioned that play on night servers and it is quite like the gucci military vs the make do survivor when you do start employing the flair and run tactic.

I'm reluctant to vote for no NVG since I think the military equipment is a massive part of the game, they're good fun and I'm more for encouraging night play. But if removing them entirely would do that I might be for that suggestion.

I do hear that argument and in essence I'm trying to making a similar one. I guess I was just coming at it from the other end of the spectrum.

At the moment it's the groups you mentioned that play on night servers and it is quite like the gucci military vs the make do survivor when you do start employing the flair and run tactic.

I'm reluctant to vote for no NVG since I think the military equipment is a massive part of the game' date=' they're good fun and I'm more for encouraging night play. But if removing them entirely would do that I might be for that suggestion.

[/quote']

Actually removing the NVG would encourage more to play on the night time servers than if you would increase their loot chance. Why? Because then you wouldn't have this psychological fear in the back of your head that there could be some dude stalking you with NVGs and you can't see a damn thing. Which is kind a cool element... But the comparative advantage from them is too big. Like I said on the other thread which suggested to remove them completely that the guys who are having NVGs are basically gods on the night time servers. So at the point when you find NVGs you will play only on the night time servers, unless you are a dumb and that's kind a boring.

If you subtract NVGs and even with them it's most of the time much more safer to explore on a night time server. Zombies wont aggro so easily, chemlights hardly visible for others... etc.

Honestly you've 180'd my argument and I'm actually (despite having found my first pair of NVGs) now pro getting rid of them in this mod, for the reasons suggested.

Thanks for your input

Alot of good points are touched in this thread. In my opinion, NVGs should be extremely rare. To the point of you'd be lucky to see a guy wearing them.

Secondly, less military loot. More civilian loot. Military loot SHOULD be present and it SHOULD be 'end-game' or high-tier but you shouldn't see everyone running around with weapons with an M203 slung underneath.

Saying that, alot of the weapons need 're-balancing' in terms of the PvE goal Rocket is aiming for. I mean I consider the G17 to be higher tier than a Revolver or M1911 (it's certainly rarer!) and yet it's considerably weaker than both of those. And no, the flashlight does not make up for the gun requiring 3-4 shots to put down a zombie in comparison to the 1 shot Revolver/M1911.

EDIT: Typographicals EVERYWHERE.

Have anybody seen the NVG of the original Operation Flashpoint? They were good only on short distance. If DayZ had the same NVGs as OFP it would still give advantage to the wearer but at the same time wont make him the god of the night.

My vote goes for old-skool NVG. Get rid of this sci-fi shit NVGs that we have at the moment ingame.

No.

Unless you add batteries into the game, and only allow NVGs to opperate for 2 hours before the batteries wear out (used batteries don't last long in open houses and on dead bodies do they?) will I agree.

terrible idea, put in more light sources, not less. headlamps would be great and would even up the playing field a tiny bit, nvg users would be blinded as soon as the headlamp looked at them.

I'd rather see them gone than become common loot.

I'd like to see a heavy handed strike against dupers too.

Raise the the number of NVGs and you might just as well get rid of the day and night cycle, as it will effectively have no effect when everyone has NVGs.

IMO it'd be more entertaining to get rid of NVGs but keep the NVG and Thermal scoped weapons, for some advantage. That would keep a marked difference between night and day but make the night servers more populated.

I would like them to have a battery life and be included in general military loot at the same rarity as GPS's. It is such a HUGE advantage in having NVG's that they should either be more plentiful or not in game. As advantages goes its WW2 combat aircraft VS f-16's.

Honestly you've 180'd my argument and I'm actually (despite having found my first pair of NVGs) now pro getting rid of them in this mod' date=' for the reasons suggested.

Thanks for your input

[/quote']

:cool: Yeah man, wear shades not NVG, shades are cool. :cool:

Glad to hear you get the way i'm looking at it.

I'm kind of bemused that Rocket took away the guns at spawn then added a fuck-ton of sniper-rifles, some with thermal scopes. Unless making the beach even more of a gank-fest was his intention.

Had an idea, could you edit the thread title to reflect the outcome of the discussion?