11tw

Reduce fall damage.

I'm pretty sure everybody agrees with added discussion about the weight of your character. Sadly, the issue has existed since DayZ was born and for some reason still isn't a priority.

You'll get used to it, the way everybody is plays is... Glue your feet to the floor, don't walk off anything, take it slow inside the barn and don't even step off the Supermarket ledge.  

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 1

people die when their bicycle tips over.  some people randomly go up in flames taking a whiz.

they should adjust the fall damage so it depends on how heavy your character is.

Fresh spawn with a t shirt , flashlight and battery = broken legs after a 3 story fall you cant climb ladders with broken legs.

Fully kitted out player with lots of weight death from a 2 story fall.

This could do a good job of stopping people from suiciding for better spawns too .

• Like 1

How big a fall you can survive depends on how good you are at falling. Maybe there could be a dedicated control for assuming the spread-eagled position while falling?

How big a fall you can survive depends on how good you are at falling. Maybe there could be a dedicated control for assuming the spread-eagled position while falling?

i don't know. i am not a physics person, but isn't hitting the ground spread eagled worse? isn't this exactly how you break all of your ribs and die from internal hemorrhaging and other nasty stuff?

if you fall with all your body on the ground, the pressure is spread evenly throughout your body. If the fall is low enough, then this means no damage to anything at all. If you fall feet first from the same height (lets say 3 stories) then you will totally shatter your legs.

Damn it, i hate those people we say that this is normal to die from falling 1feet high...
YES some people even die in rare case from falling from their own feet, and others rare case have survive freefall from MILES high !

Just look at this :

And this :

In this video some people fall from high, others on their genital part and others on their head, no one of them have die, and in fact almost none of them have broken something !

So NO, we should NOT die from falling from a ridiculously small height...

In DayZ sometime we got broken legs or we die from "falling" 1 inch high.
DayZ and Arma are both WAY TOO MUCH a PROCEDURE simulator rather than real anything simulator...The fact that people don't stop to suggest idea such as, dying from 1 feet fall WON'T help anything...
That why in Arma -> DayZ we have restriction such as can't eat and walk in the same time...Imagine if you can't in summer walk while eating your ice cream or your apple...

Or can't walk while changing weapons, or simply can't grab any object, or do everything that even a physically limited people can do...

You know people, even with heavy package, our knee can bend, its their own goal after all, we don't need to fall with straight legs, so yeah why not base it on character weight, but NOT a stupid, instant die from 1 inch fall cause we have full backpack, this is stupid.
Even from a roof (one floor house of course) with a backpack we should have low chance to broke anything, but the chance should exponentially get possible while weight and height is adding.

So yes +100+
No more "brittle bone disease" character based damage model !

• Like 1

if you fall with all your body on the ground, the pressure is spread evenly throughout your body. If the fall is low enough, then this means no damage to anything at all. If you fall feet first from the same height (lets say 3 stories) then you will totally shatter your legs.

Oh please, I have jumped from second floor countless times and never broke anything, fell from a tree no more than 3 metres above the ground and I was unable to breathe for a solid minute ended up in hospital.

Scratch that, I'd rather jump from from even 3rd floor and land on my feet any number of times than land from first on my back or chest. You're legs have a femur, the strongest bone on your body, and they are supported by strong leg muscles and tendons. While you're ribs are rather fragile. Not to mention that I would prefer not to land on my spine. 

Whether you break legs depends on two things :

How strong are your bones are, if you spend entire life physically active you have strong bones and thus are less likely to break them, on the other hand a nerd who spends entire day in front of PC has bones like dry sticks. 

How you fall, which depends on technique and terrain, jumping on a flat surface is always safer. 

Edited by General Zod

Oh please, I have jumped from second floor countless times and never broke anything, fell from a tree no more than 3 metres above the ground and I was unable to breathe for a solid minute ended up in hospital.

Scratch that, I'd rather jump from from even 3rd floor and land on my feet any number of times than land from first on my back or chest. You're legs have a femur, the strongest bone on your body, and they are supported by strong leg muscles and tendons. While you're ribs are rather fragile. Not to mention that I would prefer not to land on my spine. 

Whether you break legs depends on two things :

How strong are your bones are, if you spend entire life physically active you have strong bones and thus are less likely to break them, on the other hand a nerd who spends entire day in front of PC has bones like dry sticks. 

How you fall, which depends on technique and terrain, jumping on a flat surface is always safer. 

From a low-medium height landing feet first is a good idea. However from a 3rd floor it is much much safer to land flat on your back. This is very difficult to pull off, and if done wrong you will probably injure your spine.

From a low-medium height landing feet first is a good idea. However from a 3rd floor it is much much safer to land flat on your back. This is very difficult to pull off, and if done wrong you will probably injure your spine.

You go ahead and land on your back when jumping from 3rd floor, I'll stick to land on feet and roll. 

Edited by General Zod

they should adjust the fall damage so it depends on how heavy your character is.

Fresh spawn with a t shirt , flashlight and battery = broken legs after a 3 story fall you cant climb ladders with broken legs.

Fully kitted out player with lots of weight death from a 2 story fall.

This could do a good job of stopping people from suiciding for better spawns too .

Wouldn't bring weight into the equation without taking into account ground "softness". Falling onto grass, soft dirt will results in less impact force than falling onto concrete.

and FINALLY being ready to join a high-pop server

You are always ready to join a high-pop server (unless you got kicked by one of those goddamn restarts while standing in the middle of a popular area) in fact getting geared before this actually makes you less ready because you adopt a "I must spend a lot of time for gearing up before I can finally get to play" mindset. Also it makes you way more attached to your gear because you got it by (boring) farming instead of getting it as some kind of reward during gameplay.

But back to falling:

Its completely reasonable that any fall of >1m might lead to injuries (in game: damage). It depends on your "readiness" and thats something a game cannot grasp. We do not die from falling a ridiculous low height. We die from already being very weak when we fall a ridiculous low height. Now leg breaking probably happens a little too easy - especially on soft ground. But truth be told most of the times my charcater broke his/her legs it was quite authentic or one of the following:

• getting hit by a zombie (breaking legs by basically punching/tackling them?)
  • the random bug that ruins your pants and shoes and may break your legs

I'd like to see some sort of proof that this is the case. I've always known to land and roll. You're just defending an invalid point for fear of losing an argument.

I'm pretty sure everybody agrees with added discussion about the weight of your character. Sadly, the issue has existed since DayZ was born and for some reason still isn't a priority.

You'll get used to it, the way everybody is plays is... Glue your feet to the floor, don't walk off anything, take it slow inside the barn and don't even step off the Supermarket ledge.  

I step off the supermarket ledge, as do I with the church ledge it doesn't harm you! Nice to seem some Welsh players haha, I'm from SW myself.

I step off the supermarket ledge, as do I with the church ledge it doesn't harm you! Nice to seem some Welsh players haha, I'm from SW myself.

I'm not welsh it's just my location  :P still a nice country, reminds me of chernarus and the view from my balcony, I can see a radio tower so it's picture perfect 

I'm not welsh it's just my location  :P still a nice country, reminds me of chernarus and the view from my balcony, I can see a radio tower so it's picture perfect 

Oh my mistake haha! 

I have little clue about programming, but it seems to me it should only take changing some numbers in the game's files to fully remedy this ridiculous problem.
Falling from 1.5-2m ruins your footwear and trousers, and EVERYTHING in them (and might break your leg)? Seriously, realism?
Falling from 3-4m kills you? Seriously?

I realize alpha and all, but I honestly can't believe this highly important game-breaking issue is so difficult to resolve, that it takes months and months of game development and no sign of progress or at least acknowledgement of the problem.

Edited by saamohod

I have little clue about programming, but it seems to me it should only take changing some numbers in the game's files to fully remedy this ridiculous problem.

Falling from 1.5-2m ruins your footwear and trousers, and EVERYTHING in them (and might break your leg)? Seriously, realism?

Falling from 3-4m kills you? Seriously?

I realize alpha and all, but I honestly can't believe this highly important game-breaking issue is so difficult to resolve, that it takes months and months of game development and no sign of progress or at least acknowledgement of the problem.

Merged, Carry on.