Sign in to follow this  
Sick7even

Why we need real health/Hp Indicators

let me start with what i`ve done today.

and just to make it cleat: i played this game for 150h now. i don't whine about the devs being slow and i actually like the game so far. BUT there are 2 thing that just piss me off and i just can`t stand them.

Today ive played probably 8h straight dying multiple times just being swarmed by zombies not being able to fight them off with a shovel and not being able to run off either because of bad ping. but 3 times in a row (and that`s the thing that i really cant stand anymore) is the fact that there is no reliable way to check your health and dying because you get one-shot by some glitching ass zombie while you are putting on some rags.

I mean i would not mind since it is trying to be realistic. but you have a good indicator for blood and thirst/hunger. but this blurriness is just useless and on low graphic setting not even there.

In my opinion you should add some kind of either bar or color indication.  or you add rapidly regenerating health with a rather short delay (30sec;45sec or even 1min) and more reasons to go unconscious so that a sniper would  have to deal a killing blow after he already knocked the target unconscious. that might seem stupid but it would make the game a bit more predictable and would make health or death appear less random and more responsive.

the other thing is that melee is messed up both ways. you really have to fix it again. i mean fighting one zombie off in a long and hard fight is fun. but since they stack up and are really indifferent to your attacks its just horribly aggravating to fight off more then 2 of them. they take way to many hits now. so we either need stagger or a 2hit upward instead of the current 8hit upward system. even if you could hit them in the head with a good connection and a good PC for people like me who lack at least one of those two thing its just a pain.

or color indication.

Like the screen going grey?

• Like 3

I personally wouldn't want to see any kind of health point indicator. The tools that we're given ATM is more than enough, along side the character messages in the bottom left. & I love the realism of it too.

As far as getting one-hit killed goes, I believe this is a bug. If you were in perfect health at the time of being it, most likely a bug.

I will agree that the melee needs tweaking, but that's a given. It's being worked on as we speak. Patience, my friend.

no, because rocket says he wants as little HUD as possible, so no to bars/indicators

Like the screen going Grey?

exactly what i thought :)

so you have an "indicator" for how much blood you have

i think regenerating health in like 30 seconds is just stupid. this isnt cod where you cant get tons of bullets in your stomach, go behind cover, wait a few seconds, and are full health again.

and yea, melee is messed up at the moment, but it already works fine again in experimental again

btw: experimental will come to stable VERY soon (dean on twitter)

Edited by rotteck

That is the weirdest interpretation of a near-death experience I've ever seen in a video-game. I can deal with unsteady or double-vision, increased head-bob, slowed down movement and even tinnitus.... but to go monochrome and short-sighted vision really was original. Wonder what weird kind of synaesthesia the guy who came up with this suffers from.

I think the game tells you pretty clearly how bad your character is feeling even if I think it's a little bit dumb how it's dealt with.

But I do agree the melee system is embarassing to put it in a nice way.

I'm OK with no HUD like they use now but if they added another ingame text like I am feeling light headed from blood loss and an indicator on your inventory/character page that shows low blood, I would be OK with that. However they could tone down the frequency in which my character bitches about his status....I know youre hungry and thirsty damnit, I'm looking for food. Constantly reminding me about it doesn't make loot appear any faster.

Melee at this point is kinda hit or miss(pun intended), I feel its a bit better in experimental but it needs a bit more tweeking. One zed should be easy to dispatch but if you have to take on a group of zeds, circle strafing works very well

• Like 1

In my opinion you should add some kind of either bar or color indication.  or you add rapidly regenerating health with a rather short delay (30sec;45sec or even 1min) and more reasons to go unconscious so that a sniper would  have to deal a killing blow after he already knocked the target unconscious. that might seem stupid but it would make the game a bit more predictable and would make health or death appear less random and more responsive.

Sir,

This is your very first post, and this is the worst idea I ever read so far. :(

bar indicator is a little lazy thing, I was thinking something like this .... 

escalator2.gif

Edited by JIJOK

Confusion is good. The "screen goes grey" system in my opinion is a perfect balance of information and disorientation.

that is bloodloss which does not equal health its seperate -.-

and by indicator i meant something like the thirst indication you should know if you feel scratched or critically injured

Sir,

This is your very first post, and this is the worst idea I ever read so far. :(

i said it sound stupid BUT

you already have breaking and bleeding those are more or less permanent injuries. if you have a hidden bar which can get you killed and you have again no indication wether the next hit kills you or you can take another 4 or 5 shots.

so either you see the health bar as some kind of battle stamina like in CoD (and i obviously dont want it like that. the reg should start after 1min not be finished after one minute it should mirror you recovering from a hit after you are patched up and fixed an slowly getting back to well, health and again i dont talk about blood because thats indicated by the color on of your screen) 

I'm OK with no HUD like they use now but if they added another ingame text like I am feeling light headed from blood loss and an indicator on your inventory/character page that shows low blood, I would be OK with that. However they could tone down the frequency in which my character bitches about his status....I know youre hungry and thirsty damnit, I'm looking for food. Constantly reminding me about it doesn't make loot appear any faster.

Yes no change of the HUD.  but an indicator added to your inventory screen not even a health bar but something like the thirst indicator. i actually think the greyness thing is ok.

no, because rocket says he wants as little HUD as possible, so no to bars/indicators

exactly what i thought :)

so you have an "indicator" for how much blood you have

i think regenerating health in like 30 seconds is just stupid. this isnt cod where you cant get tons of bullets in your stomach, go behind cover, wait a few seconds, and are full health again.

and yea, melee is messed up at the moment, but it already works fine again in experimental again

btw: experimental will come to stable VERY soon (dean on twitter)

i already said that i think the blood thing is ok. but the bluriness of the screen is a nonsensical indication of health. and i rather wish for a food like indicator. i also explained that i meant delay like in delay. so it starts after you have been hit and does not help if you are being hit constantly. and i think there is a big difference between after 1min it starts and afeter 10 its full or as full as it can be regarding your blood level or the injuries of your bones

I it really feels like you read it and think of the most stupid interpretation of my words even thou the confusion argument is absolutly valid. but again i think it feeld  random and not confusing to me.

Edited by Sick7even

No, because you are not to a point of self awareness that you can gauge precisely your own character's health. Being able to evaluate it is a good skill to learn, and it might take time. And i like that it makes the game different for you based on how as a player you assess the situation. Some players will waste tons of bandages, and some will always be "too close". I like that.

I like as less stuff on the "HUD" as possible. There should no health bar or value being visible all the time. But in the inventory window the current health status could be replaced by a value from 1% to 100% (0 = dead).

This would not provide magical information for the player. In real life you also know exactly how you feel - represented ingame by a more detailed health display than the 3-colour-health-button.

Personally I don't like the screen turning grey. In RL I never saw the world grey when I was sick, injured, received a head bump, broke my foot, after my motorbike accident or when I awoke from an operation.

* more detailed health information: yes

* permanetly on screen: no

* might replace the current health info button

Further: uncounsciousness should not be connected to health. A person who is benumbed, etherized or knocked out can nevertheless be fully healthy considering the status of bones, muscles, organs and immune system.

Edited by RogueTrooper

I like as less stuff on the "HUD" as possible. There should no health bar or value being visible all the time. But in the inventory window the current health status could be replaced by a value from 1% to 100% (0 = dead).

This would not provide magical information for the player. In real life you also know exactly how you feel - represented ingame by a more detailed health display than the 3-colour-health-button.

Personally I don't like the screen turning grey. In RL I never saw the world grey when I was sick, injured, received a head bump, broke my foot, after my motorbike accident or when I awoke from an operation.

* more detailed health information: yes

* permanetly on screen: no

* might replace the current health info button

Further: uncounsciousness should not be connected to health. A person who is benumbed, etherized or knocked out can nevertheless be fully healthy considering the status of bones, muscles, organs and immune system.

That's the thing, you don't.

We feel pain level, we don't necessarly know how close we are from death. When you are full of morphine, you don't necessarily know that you are bleeding out.

that is a 'blood' indicator. Blood and health are different. He was talking about HP, not BP.

When you loose health, the screen goes blurry, but this isn't always easy to see, as some people have to lower graphics settings. Kind of weird that you didn't know the difference.

Finally, the 'shock' value doesn't have an indicator right now, so unconsciousness can sometimes be very surprising. These all need to be clear enough that people understand the threat, but a bar is just to arcade-ey.

However, if a percentage bar is the only way of doing it effectively, then I would happily take that hit to immersion, if it made it a better game.

For those of you who don't know, shock is a value which knocks you out when it exceeds your health (though it might be blood, can't remember).

Edited by 11tw

I feel that having a HUD kind of degenerates realism. If you where a real survivor, and you got clipped by a bullet, you would not instantly be able to determine how much blood you have left and then, in terms, be able to get a rough estimate of your time left to live. You would be able to examine wounds and estimate what is going to happen, and the game does a good job of sustaining this realism. I think any sort of HUD would in the long run negatively effect the realism-oriented atmosphere of the game.