Sign in to follow this  
Gateway123

Base Building Ideas

I feel that base building will later be a key part of DayZ. I remember the days of playing Overwatch and building keep-like fortresses that guarding alone was a hard task. These suggestions are pre-built structures that require an 'x' amount of materials and time to build that can be moved and linked with other objects.

-Walls/Fences/Barricades-

Wood Fence: A very simplified wooden fence that is can surround the perimiter of your base to fend off nothing more than walkers durability wise.

shadowbox-wood-fence.jpg

Wood Wall: A sturdy wood wall made out of whole tree logs. Used in constructing wooden structures such as sheds, etc.

3254451566_7a874c8651.jpg

Makeshift Barricade: A barricade stronger than a Wood Fence that you can rope around your base as an extra layer of defendable cushioning.

article-2520812-19F8AD1800000578-396_634

Scrap Metal Wall: A strong wall made of stamped scrap metal looted from old cars. Can be used to make scrap metal structures.

oaxaca54.jpg

-Building Structures-

Wooden Shed: The most basic of all structures, the wooden shed is a good 1-person home, providing a small amount of living space.

wooden-shed-7.jpg

Wooden Cabin: A larger living space, suitable for 1-2 people, with an adequite amount of living area and storage space.

cabin.jpg

Basic Wooden Fort: The shell of a wooden fort, able to hold 4-5 people, while allowed for more structures to be added (towers, etc.)

c671945d.jpg

There are the start. I will add more structures, structure attachments, and more later on. What are your opinions so far?

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see this implemented anytime soon. I heard people mention that they would be adding fortification of existing buildings.

i just don't want to see hundreds of bases through out the map on a single server but i do like the idea of pre-built structures that you can upgrade over time. So i like this idea! Personally though I like making my own unique bases ;)

I would love it if dayz made it to the point where we have to barricade ourselves to protect ourselves from dangerous zombies more than from humans

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 3

All I care about is this one simple rule.

However long it takes to destroy, is how long it takes to build.

So if you can simple drive over and destroy a fence in seconds, then that fence should take seconds to build.

Epoch got this completely wrong and it made base building a completely pointless task. Literally hundreds of hours went into chopping down trees, turning that into lumber, etc etc only for some guy to destroy it within a few minutes. 

• Like 2

I was watching some game play on Forest and that sort of base building is awesome, so much immersion with it and simple too it looks like ... might have to be tweaked a bit for Dayz but i could see it being used and majorly useful.

I agree with Nex.

If we have to spend hours building a plank of wood just to barricade one door of an existing building to try and make our own safe house (especially tough if your soloing) then it should at least last a decent amount of time otherwise there's no point.

I'm not spending my time online making a barricade for it to be Brocken down in 30 seconds while I'm offline.

Servers that have PvP and just PvE should determine how long the barricades last. Much longer for PvE servers. But still tough for PvP so it actually takes planning and preparation to go blow into someone else's house.

• Like 2

I don't think the bases would be that aesthetically pleasing, but it would be cool.

I like the trend that people want here as well. If it takes a long time to construct a shelter, it should take a long time to disassemble it. I love the idea of boarding up a house though. I've already gotten a few places picked out where I could live for a good amount of time.

If you shall ever visit Chernogorsk, be sure to drop by Nick's Pleasure Palace! All the disinfectant and rotten kiwis you can eat!

• Like 1

We could barricade and upgrade existent buildings, it can be cool enought.

On a realistic base, to built a structure from nothing is fucking long, especially if instead of going to the supermarket to get some processed food, you must spend most of your time to find your own food.

Hunting and gathering is real time consuming... Humanity invented agriculture and livestock for gain time, then they stop living in caves and start to built houses and civilization...

I don't say it is not possible. It is just about what the game will prioritize what is the players most important concern in the game : building cabins or rough surviving...

How detailed can they make it really? I mean I doubt it could have a so in depth construction system that you can carry every plank and place it where you want, extremely unrealistic expectation.

So will it just be like H1Z1 where you see the image of what you're building and can place it wherever you want?

Because that's basically the only thing that would work but I imagine everyone would moan about how it's not realistic blah blah blah it can't be realistic it's a game.

Just let us mod the game and release the server files. We will create basebuilding ourselves.

"Just let us mod the game and release the server files. We will create basebuilding ourselves."

That is a terrible Idea.

I don't think big permanent player bases are a good idea at all. What I think would be excellent are personal caches that can be created with a shovel, some stones, and up to two large protector cases that  have  28 slots  (7x4) each.  Such a case could accomodate a MosinNagant (7x3) and 7 slots for gear, OR an M4A1 (5x3) and 13 slots for gear, OR an SKS, Shotgun, Double Rifle (6X3) etc and  10 slots for gear and supplies. The Cache once buried could be concealed and booby trapped . The Cache could however be discovered and unearthed and broken into at the expense of ruining the case and some of the gear inside if the trap is set off and of course deliver some considerable damage to the 'lucky guy' or if considerable force is used to break into the case. If you the owner get killed the case gets ransacked and some considerable portion of your extra gear is lost and the case ruined.

post-209339-0-80775200-1402764917_thumb.

Note: Large protector case can only be carried in hands or carried on your back in place of a backpack while you are transporting it. And of course carrying a hard case reduces your speed to a maximum of a moderate jogging pace.

Now if you do takeover a feed shack, small cabin or whatever is allowed and Zombie & Bandit proof it with planks, corrugated iron, chain link fencing, bear traps, barbed wire, tripwires sand bags or whatever a strong crew of Zombies should still be able to get in by repeatedly attacking the doors and windows and Bandits might decide to smoke you out and chop through doors with fire axes and execute a home invasion attack. In any case it would make for some cool action.

Imagine a crew of home invading bandits trying to take over your teams crash pad and they in turn get attacked by a strong mob of zombies. Just kick back with a cold Kvass, some recreational pharmaceuticals  and watch the Chinese fire drill and pick off a few bandits.   

Just an idea.

Edited by Xbow

Just let us mod the game and release the server files. We will create basebuilding ourselves.

We did that with epoch and it was a fucking joke. 2 weeks (IRL time) to build a basic base and about 30 seconds for some dick to destroy it. Then there were the admins who could just spawn in all the building materials they wanted and make an awesome base in a couple of hours. Yeah sounds like fun.

I do not think that such a bases will create some thing or can please any one or safe any one..But it looks stunning specially i garden :) Actually i want to say that there should be brought a little change in design and installation.

Dean said here that there is going to be base building.

My ideas would be:

- Bases should be build on the server, so when you switch the server or it restarts, the base should be gone. If a server doesn't restart bases should disappear after some time (e.g. when no player has been in that area for some time). Otherwise the world would be full of bases.

- That you can build a base easily but it only should stop zombies, but not players (eg, easy to destroy with an axe). The idea is that it's a good shelter for the night but not something to run away from humans.

Another base could be any house where you can craft a "barricaded door" with wood boards, nails and a hammer. Again this could stop a zombie but not a human.

To vary this, the zombies could take longer to take down the base, so that it provides enough time to kill them.

..everyone would moan about how it's not realistic blah blah blah it can't be realistic it's a game.

Its a game, but it could be realistic game. 

Everybody understands that pixels aint realism, but you cant use that as an excuse to water down the simulator experience.

i think we need more dense forest more bushes etc.  for hide your little place for the view from bad bandits.  and i hope never will come copters in dayzsa -  the wood has no little view block from a copter.  a horror in arma 2  hide the headquarter - you can see all in the arma woods from the sky - no thx  ^^

Edited by Crusader78

i think we need more dense forest more bushes etc.  for hide your little place for the view from bad bandits.  and i hope never will come copters in dayzsa -  the wood has no little view block from a copter.  a horror in arma 2  hide the headquarter - you can see all in the arma woods from the sky - no thx  ^^

civilian helicopters have already been talked about and maybe military transport helicopters with out guns i would hope, but either way im sure there will be helicopters no matter what but it will take for ever to build up.

I hate the bases in the mod for the most part. I prefer barricading an existing building than building those damn things.

Edited by escobert

The problem with fortifying existing buildings, how many different players go through a server on a monthly basis? I no time all the doors will be barricated/ locked, restricting others to get to the loot. Army buildings and airfields will be the first to get barricaded.

• Like 1