Sign in to follow this  
napalmdog

Did you run a DayZ mod server? If so...

...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the shortcomings and tools you had and what you hope to see from Standalone. We talk generally as players but I've really seen nothing in regards to what the Gatekeepers see and the direction it's going!

IMO server admins in the mod had too much power. Some were good and trusted admins but most servers had rampant admin abuse and they just used their power to spawn in gear, use maps to find players etc. 

I like the game how it is meant to be played, these one hour restart servers are bad enough as it is.

Although, I am just a player not a server owner.

Edited by BSB Jimmy

...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the shortcomings and tools you had and what you hope to see from Standalone. We talk generally as players but I've really seen nothing in regards to what the Gatekeepers see and the direction it's going!

I was an admin for a clan that ran 2 official mod servers during the height of the "hacker invasion" and the limitation placed on admins/server renters made it nearly impossible to do anything in the imediate to stop a hacker. I often was forced to spend hours combing thru logs to try to find any evidence to be able to back up a local ban.

Server renters should be able to run

-3rd party detection/anti cheat

-Local Banlists

IMO server admins in the mod had too much power. Some were good and trusted admins but most servers had rampant admin abuse and they just used their power to spawn in gear, use maps to find players etc. 

I like the game how it is meant to be played, these one hour restart servers are bad enough as it is.

Although, I am just a player not a server owner.

What you describe is primarily a private hive issue and was never allowed on 'offficial hive' servers. you werent even allowed to ban without solid proof of script injections as per the host agreement (your server could be shut down without refund if you did this anyways)

I dont think admins need markers for everything on the map, the ability to spawn things, or give custom loadouts. The do however need tools to catch and BAN cheaters.

-Spectate (with player name clearly visible on the screen while spectating; provides for video evidence if ban contested)

-The ability to maintain a LOCAL banlists on that server. (that is you can perma ban from only your own server)

-Third-party Auto-kicking anti cheats would be nice as well. the hackers very clearly know ways to circumvent BE atleast for some period of time. the more layers of protection the better. as long as these are only applied to individual servers being banned for a false-positive would only kick or ban you from that one server so its not a HUGE issue if some of these systems are inperfect.

• Like 2

Spectate would be difficult to implement though, and it would have to have a fairly large delay to prevent admins abusing it.

Literally no point in renting a server unless you're a clan with a couple of people chipping in. Servers are wildly overpriced.

any tools that could be abused will be abused 100 percent.

you kill admin ooh look hes just spawned behind me full of gear :lol:

one thing that standalone does have right is no admins can abuse their power...yet.

one thing that standalone does have right is no admins can abuse their power...yet.

You can still be kicked, server can be locked after restart for "testing" lol...

no ones asking for go mode, TP, ESP, or any of that abusable stuff.

you SHOULD be able to spectate (with name clearly displayed in spectate mode for recording proof) and BAN people for things like glitchign inside walls, TP hacks, or anythign of the sort.

I was an admin for a clan that ran 2 official mod servers during the height of the "hacker invasion" and the limitation placed on admins/server renters made it nearly impossible to do anything in the imediate to stop a hacker. I often was forced to spend hours combing thru logs to try to find any evidence to be able to back up a local ban.

The server I was admin on wasn't a very high traffic server, we had regulars and a decent amount of random traffic. I wouldn't even bother combing through logs. I would check the players gear, how long they were alive for and their movements. You can find a lot of basic cheaters by going through the new guy's who join/are fresh and seem to ALWAYS have an AS50 with 2 mags, and a full toolbelt. Those guys made up the bulk of hacking traffic on the server. Had a rule on the server that bans are appeal-able but it was at our discretion if at the moment evidence had indicated otherwise. Got a few bad bans, but set the guys back up once we verified. 

no ones asking for go mode, TP, ESP, or any of that abusable stuff.

you SHOULD be able to spectate (with name clearly displayed in spectate mode for recording proof) and BAN people for things like glitchign inside walls, TP hacks, or anythign of the sort.

you can specatate people = exploit. it would be exploited regardless of how many " wont ever do it "

• Like 1

you can specatate people = exploit. it would be exploited regardless of how many " wont ever do it "

i hate to say it, but id rather a hand full of servers with "Badmins" exploiting and just leave said server then let hackers get off easy because theres no way to directly deal with it.

i hate to say it, but id rather a hand full of servers with "Badmins" exploiting and just leave said server then let hackers get off easy because theres no way to directly deal with it.

Now you are turning the game into pay2win. Currently server hosting is a pay 2 win tool because admins can restart the server when they die to get their goodies back. Your spectating idea should not be in the game whatsoever. I ran a mod server for a few months before my co-owner and I parted ways. I do not want admins to have any privilages beyond kicking players (With a limit on how many can be kicked in an hour) they should have to put in a ticket to the hosting companies to have their server restart every X hours. I want admins to have little power in their server to avoid the hell that was created in the mod. Apectating is just a going to be a cheat tool that allows you to bypass using scripts, and just intises young rich kids to buy servers so they can kill people.

Now you are turning the game into pay2win. Currently server hosting is a pay 2 win tool because admins can restart the server when they die to get their goodies back. Your spectating idea should not be in the game whatsoever. I ran a mod server for a few months before my co-owner and I parted ways. I do not want admins to have any privilages beyond kicking players (With a limit on how many can be kicked in an hour) they should have to put in a ticket to the hosting companies to have their server restart every X hours. I want admins to have little power in their server to avoid the hell that was created in the mod. Apectating is just a going to be a cheat tool that allows you to bypass using scripts, and just intises young rich kids to buy servers so they can kill people.

all they have to do is put a dealy on entering/exeting spectate tp make it inpractical in PvP. would some clans abuse it to have someone watch target while telling others why the person is doing? of course. but fact is, we NEED a way to deal with exploiters in there here and now and know who is and isnt exploiting. waitintg on wave bans or tickets dont help the people harmed by exploiters/hackers in thier current situation.

Just like to add, I was banned (not kicked, BANNED) from a dayz standalone server after I kept joining it after being kicked

It was a clan server with about 10 guys in the same clan

As they were obviously kicking me manually my plan was to troll them as they were looting it for themselves without letting people join

I then got banned, and contacted their provider with a screenshot Ect

Server was still up about a month later, still banned and no response to 3 emails

At this time, no one gives a shit, if they own a server and want to abuse it, they can, and nothing can be done

I want to see ZERO extra admin features added, they are already abusing the system and any more admin tools that get added will most likely put me off for good, there was so much in the mod and it's already begun in the SA

Down with admin tools, ban and kick only and shut down the 1 hour restart or any server that says join = kick

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

I did have one, public hive.

Besides ban and kick there was nothing else in the software provided by the server, though you had access to logs. On public hive I couldn't spawn anything, or teleport anyone, nor having an invisible admin or some of those features you have on every other game (and im ok with that) but after a bit of investigation and installing a lot of external software I could pretty much know everything that was happening to my server (including where were people, vehicles, tents and much more, which could be abused pretty hard by a badmin).

My day to day was reading chats and shifting through logs whenever someone complained about a hacker to verify it, if I found it was true, bann the guy and then restart the server to despawn everything the hacker spawned (this was all I could do).

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 1

My first and best server was public hive and there were no admin tools just a battleeye login and an FTP to the server itself. But it was great we had a good community of players and for a good while didn't have much trouble from hackers.

When the server was at its most popular and would get to full numbers there'd be a massive rise in hacker occurrences. Usually God mod teleport hackers that one by one went around the server killing people. I'd always shut it down and find them and ban then and it'd be OK again for a while. We did whitelist for a while as well but it became stale with just the same faces.

Server I had after that was private hive so that me and my friends and old server regulars could try the different maps. But that was never anywhere near as good as the original.

Admin tools I had were just to read the logs after something happened to find out who did it, and to kick/ban and post details to the old server community forums. And help with players in need via same forums. No tools needed really, BEC was enough to take care of messaging and restarts. Antihax probably helped, as it should do, but mainly having admins who were there when hacking teleporting juvenile knobheads appeared was always the best server tool.