FrostDMG

Everything that's wrong with DayZ servers in one picture.

Nothing wrong with giving new/unskilled players some place to actually learn how to play without being endlessly killed.

That is something I've never understood about the people who scream that "Day Z isn't for casual/bad/new players! It is supposed to be difficult! Get good or get out!".

Yes, that might be true, but what do you think happens when a new player is mindlessly griefed over and over again? They either become vicious "like-becomes like" KOS-ers, or they quit. And when they quit, they tell their friends about how shitty the game Day Z is, because they playerbase is  a bunch of dicks/there is no help available on the forums/etc.

Then no new players buy the damn game.

Eventually, the playerbase would be incredibly small, and ultimately nonsustaining for BI to continue supporting. Then they shut excess servers down.

There is NOTHING wrong with giving new players some place to, you know, learn how to play. The game can still be difficult, with a steep learning curve, but do SOMETHING to keep the new people, and the game will continue to grow.

Also: You do realize that the server name is just a goddamn name, right? All the owners can do is name their server and reset it. They can't enforce any esoteric rule, like "no KOS", Get your panties out of that twist and brush the sand out of your vagina.

• Like 4

There's other game though. No game should cater to all playstyles. If you can't beat a game or enjoy it because it's too hard - tough shit. You ought to find something you enjoy instead i.e CS/BF/COD/ARMA. The moment you start catering to everyone is the moment a game becomes a worthless piece of shit.

And the server owners don't need to listen to me, but to Bohemia when they shut down their servers for breaching TOS.

Considering Dayz is a sandbox game for the most part. It can cater to all play styles. Also some others have pointed out that server admins can only do two thing, change the server name and change the restart time.

Maybe some of the other forum posters are right. And BIS should host their own official servers without the option to privatly host servers/hives. Until they decide they can no longer run them for whatever reason and release the server files for people interested in doing so.

I'd like to point out.

None of those servers can enforce ANYTHING they have listed in their names. Its just to bait in carebears so they can justify the money they're spending.

On the topic of misleading server names, can admins monitor the game? IE see if some one is cheating by teleporting or spawning in weapons? I've seen servers with "Active Admins" but wondered their power to help curb cheaters.

I always thought that the 'SUPER HIGH LOOT' titles were just the admins way of attracting players to the server.

I guess some DayZ players want a faster pacing in the process of looting and all? No KoS might be useful for new players too to learn the ropes or to form a gang - after all, you can only get to know another survivor if there's not a bullet in your head. :P

You don't have to play on servers you don't like, so just avoid them. Shouting at them from the server list and on here will most likely not change anything anyway.

This is going to make sense when private hives make appearence. I couldn't care less about a server with 218198 vehicles, starting gear and bullshit like that because its never going to affect my playing on mi vanilla server. I wont play what I dont like, as you said.

But not playing a server on public hive doesn't avoid for it to affect your playing. If I have to put up with people o gangs gearing up on easy mode servers with daylight 24/7, no KoS, 1hr restart and then coming to my server to screw things up with his non deserved easy gear then his shitty configuration server is affecting MY play. Has nothing to do with "I dont like it, i dont play it".

Public hive should all abide by the same rules. All servers time/wather synchronized, loot persistent through restart with respawn cycle or whatever and not friendly servers bullshit (this is already a reality btw). This way, all servers are the same, and all players play the same difficulty.

P.D: not that this is much of a factor right now, since gearing up is easy enough doesn't matter the server you play, and respawn isnt implemented yet so no restart = no loot. But im talking in regards to the future of public hive.

Edited by p4triot

Nothing wrong with giving new/unskilled players some place to actually learn how to play without being endlessly killed.

That is something I've never understood about the people who scream that "Day Z isn't for casual/bad/new players! It is supposed to be difficult! Get good or get out!".

Yes, that might be true, but what do you think happens when a new player is mindlessly griefed over and over again? They either become vicious "like-becomes like" KOS-ers, or they quit. And when they quit, they tell their friends about how shitty the game Day Z is, because they playerbase is  a bunch of dicks/there is no help available on the forums/etc.

Eventually, the playerbase would be incredibly small, and ultimately nonsustaining for BI to continue supporting. Then they shut excess servers down.

There is NOTHING wrong with giving new players some place to, you know, learn how to play. The game can still be difficult, with a steep learning curve, but do SOMETHING to keep the new people, and the game will continue to grow.

Also: You do realize that the server name is just a goddamn name, right? All the owners can do is name their server and reset it. They can't enforce any esoteric rule, like "no KOS", Get your panties out of that twist and brush the sand out of your vagina.

Considering Dayz is a sandbox game for the most part. It can cater to all play styles. Also some others have pointed out that server admins can only do two thing, change the server name and change the restart time.

Maybe some of the other forum posters are right. And BIS should host their own official servers without the option to privatly host servers/hives. Until they decide they can no longer run them for whatever reason and release the server files for people interested in doing so.

WRONG. YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG. 

Every game that tries to cater to everyone goes to shit - look at WoW for example, or any other newly released MMORPG. Sticking to the example of WoW...

Why was it so popular? The game was a grind to max level in vanilla, yet people played it. The system was far from perfect, but you know what, people played it. The end game content was hard, but people played it. Do you know why? Because developers said: "This is OUR game, and if you wanna play it, adapt or leave". The moment you start caring for everyone is the moment when you FUCK UP.

What DayZ doesn't need: people trying to make this game for everyone. You don't need everyone. It's far better to have a small but dedicated community than an influx of people at launch and then a revolving door of players coming and going. FUCK THAT SHIT. This is meant to be hard core survival game. no 3rd person, no free shit, no fucking NPCs, no safe zones.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU WANT, I SEE WHAT THE DEVELOPERS WANT. 

Oh 1st person FOV too narrow, boo hoo, don't like it? Get fucked and get out. Oh zombies too hard? Uninstall you fucking scrub. QQ too hard to get gear? GTFO or L2P.

This game should all be played under "hardcore" rule set. Don't like it? WELL YOU DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO PLAY IT! HOW ABOUT THAT?!

• Like 1

Amen brother

Every game that tries to cater to everyone goes to shit - look at WoW for example, or any other newly released MMORPG. Sticking to the example of WoW...

Why was it so popular? The game was a grind to max level in vanilla, yet people played it. The system was far from perfect, but you know what, people played it. The end game content was hard, but people played it. Do you know why? Because developers said: "This is OUR game, and if you wanna play it, adapt or leave". The moment you start caring for everyone is the moment when you FUCK UP.

What DayZ doesn't need: people trying to make this game for everyone. You don't need everyone. It's far better to have a small but dedicated community than an influx of people at launch and then a revolving door of players coming and going. FUCK THAT SHIT. This is meant to be hard core survival game. no 3rd person, no free shit, no fucking NPCs, no safe zones.

Oh 1st person FOV too narrow, boo hoo, don't like it? Get fucked and get out. Oh zombies too hard? Uninstall you fucking scrub. QQ too hard to get gear? GTFO or L2P.

This game should all be played under "hardcore" rule set. Don't like it? WELL YOU DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO PLAY IT! HOW ABOUT THAT?!

I've never seen the developers give an indication that they want to remove third-person from the game. Almost every single time I've read something they said, it's been; "we'll keep it separated on hardcore and standard servers". It's the same story with the mods, in fact, Rocket himself has stated that he loves a lot of the custom mods for DayZ and that he wants modding support in the long run.

Don't go around acting like you're the zealous arbiter of the developers who represents them and only believes what they believe; because you're not. You want DayZ to be what you want. Others want DayZ to be what they want. No one's opinion is more valid than another's, DayZ is not "meant" to be anything but what the developers make it to be (and that doesn't have to be what they say, just what they do)

This game should be played variably with different rulesets on different servers that dictate how people play, where people have the option of joining and/or not joining. Don't like it? WELL YOU DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO PLAY IT! HOW ABOUT THAT?!

• Like 1

And I'm sure all the server owners saw this thread and will go "Hmmm, FrostDMG's right. We better shut it all down right away.". :P

Like I said: Some players might want to have the fast pacing and/or other custom rules and settings. If those modified servers went down, they might put together modified server themselves, and not much would've changed.

If regular DayZ is too hard for some players to enjoy it, it's obvious they'll look for servers that seem easy to regular players. What else do you expect? If you paid for the DayZ SA and find out the common game's too much for you to handle, you don't quit playing outright, but instead look for ways to still enjoy the game - be it finding a group/clan or playing on servers with different settings. DayZ is quite helpful at that point, as other games might not be so easily shaped to a certain player group's needs.

Like I said: Live and let live. Play on normal or hardcore servers if you're into that, but leave players who want the game to be easy to their own servers. Wishing for "weak" players to just quit the game altogether hurts the entire playerbase at the end of the day - and especially Bohemia Interactive. ;)

Yeah, why people are so bound and determined to take away options away is just beyond me. With that kind of philosophy you'll find yourself without your favorite version because a majority will want to take away your options. Live and let live, play on the servers you want...

I've never seen the developers give an indication that they want to remove third-person from the game. Almost every single time I've read something they said, it's been; "we'll keep it separated on hardcore and standard servers". It's the same story with the mods, in fact, Rocket himself has stated that he loves a lot of the custom mods for DayZ and that he wants modding support in the long run.

Don't go around acting like you're the zealous arbiter of the developers who represents them and only believes what they believe; because you're not. You want DayZ to be what you want. Others want DayZ to be what they want. No one's opinion is more valid than another's, DayZ is not "meant" to be anything but what the developers make it to be (and that doesn't have to be what they say, just what they do)

This game should be played variably with different rulesets on different servers that dictate how people play, where people have the option of joining and/or not joining. Don't like it? WELL YOU DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO PLAY IT! HOW ABOUT THAT?!

First of all, you have to understand why the developers say certain things. If they were to say "We hate Epoch and everyone who plays it" that would negatively impact the sales of SA since a lot of noobs play Epoch. On the other hand, I'm quite sure that DayZero is something that the devs approve of as it's in the spirit of the mod.

Same with 3rd person. I'm quite sure the game wasn't designed around abusing 3rd person, but if they were to turn it off all of a sudden people would be pissed, and sadly it seems they don't have the balls to do something like that.

Sarcastic Clap...   Clap...   Clap....  

Yeah, why people are so bound and determined to take away options away is just beyond me. With that kind of philosophy you'll find yourself without your favorite version because a majority will want to take away your options. Live and let live, play on the servers you want...

TBH, I don't give a fuck if you play Epoch or 5000 vehicle server, but what I do give a fuck about is keeping hardcore servers populated. Spreading people over all these easymode servers has caused good HC servers to die off. If everyone played under the same ruleset then the most stable and well admined servers would be the most populated, which is the way it should be.

Most people who play those mass vehicle servers only log on to find a car, gun shoot a couple of other players then log out. They don't care about the game and the game shouldn't care about them.

Think you are overlooking it too much.

This is a direct result of the lack of spawning loot not that it is ever needed.

The new player base in Dayz is made up of casual players the same players that loved the casualization of the Elderscrolls games from Morrowind to skyrim.

These new players want to get geared fast and go pvp or do whatever geared players do.

so because of this servers are having 1 hour restarts just to appease them. Wish the devs would have just decided right from the begining the game was ment to be tough and hard and there would be no respawning loot or zombies. If this were the case we would not see these 1 hour servers if they set down a common rule set for servers that all vanilla hive servers must run.

• Like 1

Think you are overlooking it too much.

This is a direct result of the lack of spawning loot not that it is ever needed.

The new player base in Dayz is made up of casual players the same players that loved the casualization of the Elderscrolls games from Morrowind to skyrim.

These new players want to get geared fast and go pvp or do whatever geared players do.

so because of this servers are having 1 hour restarts just to appease them. Wish the devs would have just decided right from the begining the game was ment to be tough and hard and there would be no respawning loot or zombies. If this were the case we would not see these 1 hour servers if they set down a common rule set for servers that all vanilla hive servers must run.

I agree with you 100%. I still hope that the devs will give a big "fuck you" to people who just deathmatch and don't care about the survival element at all, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen... I guess we're going to have to wait for DayZero...

TBH, I don't give a fuck if you play Epoch or 5000 vehicle server, but what I do give a fuck about is keeping hardcore servers populated....

...They don't care about the game and the game shouldn't care about them.

Then you get attrition either way, by them playing on other servers or they just quit playing and go to some other game.

Hind-sight is 20/20. When I played the mod servers went away primarily as hackers overwhelmed unmonitored servers and there were just so many servers. I left servers personally because of hacking, horrid ping or I just wanted to play differently from time to time.

In your defense I have admin assisted and I saw people leave the server because they weren't getting enough free stuff, but in the end the server went away because it was a lot of time for the admin running it and he didn't get to enjoy the game.

Then you get attrition either way, by them playing on other servers or they just quit playing and go to some other game.

Hind-sight is 20/20. When I played the mod servers went away primarily as hackers overwhelmed unmonitored servers and there were just so many servers. I left servers personally because of hacking, horrid ping or I just wanted to play differently from time to time.

In your defense I have admin assisted and I saw people leave the server because they weren't getting enough free stuff, but in the end the server went away because it was a lot of time for the admin running it and he didn't get to enjoy the game.

People who buy into a niche game like DayZ for the survival element are more likely to stay with the game than someone who's just looking for quick PVP session.

What an offensive op, can't believe mods let this thread slide.

With that said all those things "high loot, no kos, 24/7 day are merely gimmicks in the server name to attract idiots.

Is it really going to be better when the server listing is full of "10000 vehicles, spawn with weapon, self blood bagging, guaranteed douchebaggery" servers?

• Like 1

Have fun playing on a single server, then. The moment Day Z stops being profitable for Bohemia, they will shut it down.

Want to know what but one way the game will become less profitable? If the playerbase dwindles

Once a person owns a game, the developers cease getting money from that player. The only (hyperbolic, here) way the developers can get more money is through further purchases, usually by new players purchasing the game. If a new player quits, and tells 3 friends not to buy the game because they were constantly griefed/treated like shit/told to GTFO, they just lost 4 game-costs. If each of those three people tell 3 more people,  they just lost 10. Three Hundred Dollars, from "only" 10 pissed off people. Multiply that by 1000, or 100,000. What was the player population last update?

If you haven't realized it, games cost money. They cost money to develop, cost money for staff, server privileges cost money, bandwith costs money, Anti-cheat programs cost money, advertising costs money. If the only way the company can get more money is to draw in new players, then they should be doing everything in their power to keep them, so they further draw in their friends. You GROW or you DIE.

So, if the Standalone ends up having a small, "dedicated" playerbase due to general asshatery on behave of the veteran players, kicking out new players and treating them like shit, how long will it last before the playerbase gets unprofitable? How long before server sponsors don't want to pay anymore, and the servers dwindle? What will you do, sit in a circle and circlejerk each other?

I AM NOT SAYING THE GAME SHOULD BE EASY. We should just welcome new players 'just a tad' bit better, whether giving them some sort of tutorial so they can learn the damn controls, how the different game mechanics (blood, health, injuries, etc) work, so they would be more likely to stay, or just not treating them like shit (see each and every one of your posts)

Again, you GROW or you DIE.

Also, as an aside, you really need to chill the fuck out. It is just a fucking game, mate. Go get laid, have a drink, and relax. You are going to have a goddamn aneurysm.

• Like 1

I have to switch servers multiple times every play session because they're always dropping within minutes of joining, since they all seem to run really short resets.  It's pretty lame.

Hope they get loot respawning in soon, at first I didn't mind much, but now it's been long enough that they really should have it in.

Man kkkk, why did you posted this?

kkk

Because I can.

What an offensive op, can't believe mods let this thread slide.

With that said all those things "high loot, no kos, 24/7 day are merely gimmicks in the server name to attract idiots.

Is it really going to be better when the server listing is full of "10000 vehicles, spawn with weapon, self blood bagging, guaranteed douchebaggery" servers?

I know. That's why I think BI should basically lay down the law and allow people to make mods for the game, but within a very strict rule set. For example, can't have more than X vehicles per server, can't have restarts more frequently than Y, can't spawn with items, no npcs etc. That way we'd still get new content from modders (mainly maps) and the game would be kept fresh and legit.

Have fun playing on a single server, then. The moment Day Z stops being profitable for Bohemia, they will shut it down.

Want to know what but one way the game will become less profitable? If the playerbase dwindles

Once a person owns a game, the developers cease getting money from that player. The only (hyperbolic, here) way the developers can get more money is through further purchases, usually by new players purchasing the game. If a new player quits, and tells 3 friends not to buy the game because they were constantly griefed/treated like shit/told to GTFO, they just lost 4 game-costs. If each of those three people tell 3 more people,  they just lost 10. Three Hundred Dollars, from "only" 10 pissed off people. Multiply that by 1000, or 100,000. What was the player population last update?

If you haven't realized it, games cost money. They cost money to develop, cost money for staff, server privileges cost money, bandwith costs money, Anti-cheat programs cost money, advertising costs money. If the only way the company can get more money is to draw in new players, then they should be doing everything in their power to keep them, so they further draw in their friends. You GROW or you DIE.

So, if the Standalone ends up having a small, "dedicated" playerbase due to general asshatery on behave of the veteran players, kicking out new players and treating them like shit, how long will it last before the playerbase gets unprofitable? How long before server sponsors don't want to pay anymore, and the servers dwindle? What will you do, sit in a circle and circlejerk each other?

I AM NOT SAYING THE GAME SHOULD BE EASY. We should just welcome new players 'just a tad' bit better, whether giving them some sort of tutorial so they can learn the damn controls, how the different game mechanics (blood, health, injuries, etc) work, so they would be more likely to stay, or just not treating them like shit (see each and every one of your posts)

Again, you GROW or you DIE.

Also, as an aside, you really need to chill the fuck out. It is just a fucking game, mate. Go get laid, have a drink, and relax. You are going to have a goddamn aneurysm.

How come ARMA was made then? A very niche game that by your logic should have been dead. Or how about iRacing? A racing game which requires not only a monthly sub, but a pretty expensive hardware set (wheel, pedals, stick). The games that try to cater to every demographic end up catering to nobody and ultimately fail. DayZ isn't meant to be some themepark ride. There's a strict set of rules you have to follow, just like in rugby or football. You can't allow handicaps for people who can't adapt to the game. Those people leave.

NOT EVERY GAME IS FOR YOU!

I agree with you 100%. I still hope that the devs will give a big "fuck you" to people who just deathmatch and don't care about the survival element at all, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen... I guess we're going to have to wait for DayZero...

Can you really blame them ?

They pvp because it really is the main focus of the game at the moment. The survival elements are pathetic at best they are merely added on to make the pvp better.

Survival you can tell was not the main focus of dayz.

First of all, you have to understand why the developers say certain things. If they were to say "We hate Epoch and everyone who plays it" that would negatively impact the sales of SA since a lot of noobs play Epoch. On the other hand, I'm quite sure that DayZero is something that the devs approve of as it's in the spirit of the mod.

Same with 3rd person. I'm quite sure the game wasn't designed around abusing 3rd person, but if they were to turn it off all of a sudden people would be pissed, and sadly it seems they don't have the balls to do something like that.

I'm not saying that they like everything there is to do with the mods and that they're in 100% approval of thirdperson, but we cannot just assume that they are "too scared to admit that they hate it". We have to go off of what they actually do say, or at least find some evidence that they're hiding it. Frankly saying "I love many of the DayZ mods" and "We're gonna keep it limited to standard and hardcore" doesn't seem to give off; "The mods suck and we need to enforce a global playstyle" and "thirdperson will be disabled across the board".

You're also taking a very blunt approach, saying that the only solution to third-person peeking is to get rid of it completely, or the only solution to over-the-top mods like Epoch is to completely blockade modding from the game.

I know. That's why I think BI should basically lay down the law and allow people to make mods for the game, but within a very strict rule set. For example, can't have more than X vehicles per server, can't have restarts more frequently than Y, can't spawn with items, no npcs etc. That way we'd still get new content from modders (mainly maps) and the game would be kept fresh and legit.

Id be down for that assuming the limitations were fairly in line with vanilla.

• Like 2