Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

Why do you play DayZ?

I don't give a shit about zombies, they're not why I like the game - you could replace them with just about anything and it wouldn't matter to me - in fact, replace them with realistic wild animals and feral packs of dogs and I'd like it even more. And no, there is no alternative - name one and I gladly uninstall DayZ and play that instead. That's why it's so frustrating - I have no choice; it's DayZ or nothing at all.

And there's a huge difference between occasional PvP interactions and full-blown Counter Strike matches between clans in full military gear. I don't say you shouldn't kill anyone in the game ever - I'm saying it was never intended to be just another zombie apocalypse shooter. And my playstyle choice is better because I'm not an asshole to other people just because I can.

You should consider playing Arma 'life', it has stright rules against KOS'ing, not dayz I know, but if you play Dayz, getting killed by other players is part of the game wether you like it or not. Also learn some skills and you will see that you can avoid getting KOS'ed. KOS'ing has been around since the mod so it's not something new in dayz, and there aren't any 'rules' against it anyway, so offcourse people will continue to do it. Just deal with it or go play something else..... Im not a KOS'er myself but having to fear snipers just brings extra tension to the game so I like it, as long as not everybody does it Im okay with it.

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 1

I play because it reminds me a bit of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I loved that.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. And interaction is all fine and dandy - I'm all for that, really - but a dangerously high number of players treats Chernarus like it's the freakin' Thunderdome and that's not how things should play out. Like I've said: there are lots of other games were you can do that w/o annoying the shit out of everyone - why not play those instead?

I dont care about your Agenda. The game allows for different playstyles...if i want to be a Psycho axemurderer i can do that. I could also try and only be friendly...or do heaps of otehr stuff including Shooting your ass up if i feel like it.

If you kill me in DayZ, you killed a guy who never had any intention to fight you

Tough luck Buddy, maybe i wanted your Pants and wasent in the mood to talk to Mr.Hippy and his treefriends.

I'm not an asshole to other people just because I can.

Cry us a river...

I'd rather play it offline

fuck PvP and fuck everyone who ruins other peoples fun for their own amusement.

Also, it Sounds like you whould enjoi "the forest" more...

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 3

how you know I play dayz ? Are you spying at me ? 

demotivation.us_MY-DOCTOR-THINKS-IM-PARA

I think I need to clarify something here: I do not get killed a lot by other players. In fact, I've been killed on sight maybe 10 times in over 200 hours of gameplay and that includes situations where I was partially at fault. I'm not angry and frustrated because I'm bad at the game. I'm good at the game. I even dare saying very good. I stay alive for weeks at a time and mostly die to glitches because I know exactly where to go and which buildings are high-traffic danger zones and which areas are relatively save. Why is everyone so quick to jumps to the conclusion that this is a matter of skills? What's the line of reasoning here?

You should consider playing Arma 'life', it has stright rules against KOS'ing, not dayz I know, but if you play Dayz, getting killed by other players is part of the game wether you like it or not. Also learn some skills and you will see that you can avoid getting KOS'ed. KOS'ing has been around since the mod so it's not something new in dayz, and there aren't any 'rules' against it anyway, so offcourse people will continue to do it. Just deal with it or go play something else..... Im not a KOS'er myself but having to fear snipers just brings extra tension to the game so I like it, as long as not everybody does it Im okay with it.

I know KOSing is not new. That's not the point and it doesn't make it any less bad. Not once since it came up has anybody answered the question why they enjoy or don't care if they make others miserable. One other thing I haven't mentioned yet is that it breaks the immersion for me. Having a bunch of idiots camping at the shore to shoot fresh spawns is not "role playing". Having people use the game as playground for Arma style skirmishes is not appropriate for post-apocalyptic survival games with a heavy focus on realism and atmosphere.

Of course the game lets you do those things (for now anyway) and there are technically no rules against it - but you shouldn't do them out of common decency and not because someone or something forced you to. It's like playing Mario Kart and being the one guy who decides to go in the wrong direction and bump into everyone or playing Call of Duty and being the one asshole who camps in a dark corner because he knows other players can't see him there. It hurts the game in the long run and limits the multiplayer experience to simple shooter mechanics.

I know KOSing is not new. That's not the point and it doesn't make it any less bad. Not once since it came up has anybody answered the question why they enjoy or don't care if they make others miserable. One other thing I haven't mentioned yet is that it breaks the immersion for me. Having a bunch of idiots camping at the shore to shoot fresh spawns is not "role playing". Having people use the game as playground for Arma style skirmishes is not appropriate for post-apocalyptic survival games with a heavy focus on realism and atmosphere.

Of course the game lets you do those things (for now anyway) and there are technically no rules against it - but you shouldn't do them out of common decency and not because someone or something forced you to. It's like playing Mario Kart and being the one guy who decides to go in the wrong direction and bump into everyone or playing Call of Duty and being the one asshole who camps in a dark corner because he knows other players can't see him there. It hurts the game in the long run and limits the multiplayer experience to simple shooter mechanics.

With risk comes reward and fun. Do you follow any sports? Do you see brazilian football team apologising to Croatians for winning. I'm sure Croatians are upset with the final result of the game.

It's just how it works. Sometimes you win and celebrate, sometimes you get your ass kicked so you can have motivation to improve your skills and think what mistakes you made. If 2 players compete there will always be one person happy and one upset.

This isn't some My Little Pony edition of DayZ where everybody can hold hands and where you get "Congratulations, you're a winner" for every single thing you accomplish. 

If current situation is too difficult for you to handle I strongly recommend co-op only games.

• Like 2

Having people use the game as playground for Arma style skirmishes is not appropriate for post-apocalyptic survival games with a heavy focus on realism and atmosphere.

Again you want to force YOUR idea about the game on others.

PLUS, as Long as the real survivial mechanics are not implemented you will of course see alot of PvP. As soon as survival REALLY gets hard ( Food scarcity, NEED for hunting, weather actualy has influence ect ect ) we will see more cooperation.

*on a sidenote...i go to the Woods and find a good book if iam upset or sick of the deathmatch. OR, i just run around do some crazy stuff like inventing a Religion.*

• Like 2

If current situation is too difficult for you to handle I strongly recommend co-op only games.

For the last time: this is not about difficulty. If you attack me, I'll fight back and likely kill you in the process - I have a scoped AKM with lots of ammo too, you know. You keep acting like I'm whining that the game is too hard for me which it is not and I'm tired of repeating myself. I've played Quake 3 and even CoD for a very long time - I do not dislike PvP in general.

Again you want to force YOUR idea about the game on others.

I'm not in the position to force anything on anyone. I just find it sad that so many people feel the need to be assholes for no other reason than personal entertainment and I wish this wasn't case. I see servers with names like "PvE only, High Loot!!! KOS=BAN" or "Friendly Server X, TALK FIRST" all the time and I'll never ever join them because that's not what I want from the game. I want variety in player interactions, I want a reason to feel uneasy while looting and I want it to be as hard and realistic as possible. If this includes people shooting at me to get my stuff or because they felt threatend so bet it. But that's not what I am criticizing.

A while ago, I was on the 2nd floor of a building when I saw a guy running towards the backdoor - I was aiming directly at him and would have had enough time to kill him if I wanted to. And I know he saw me too. I decided to camp wait at the stairs and kill him if he'd made a wrong move - but not without warning, even though he obviously knew I was up there.

So here's what happend next: I didn't see a thing and went unconscious w/o any warning. When I woke up, I was naked and all my stuff was lying piled up at the front of the house with a burning flare on top - he didn't take anything, not even the ammo. I was flabbergasted to say the least but then I quickly took all my stuff back and made a run for the woods. Then after 2 minutes or so, the goddamn French national anthem started playing VERY LOUDLY and it was the creepiest shit ever because I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and the recording sounded like it was taken from an old gramophone or something.

I started running to get "away" but there was no getting away. It kept playing until I traveled a considerable distance and just stopped abruptly at some point. This glorious motherfucker had somehow managed to hide an invisable radio in my backpack (it became visible after I had logged out and in again) and used it to freak me out!

This is why I play DayZ. (well, not exactly this, he was cheating after all - but it was all in good fun and nobody died for stupid reasons)

I play dayz because I like the big map and I always get lost I never know where I am and the Russian signs make me even more lost, one time I walked all around the map on the outside, I start on the coast I went to a city and found some food and 2 plastic water bottles and a bayonet to open the tins and a backpack, I went back to the sea and turn right and follow until the map stops, the map don't stop lol but trees stop and there is a line, you can see it if you look careful and then I followed it all around until I need to tutn right again and then you find again the sea. there is a big docks after the forest and I found more food and also drank water because I had no water since the forest.

what I like about dayz is when you die you have nothing from before so you need to start over from scratch again so YOU DONT WANT TO DIE this makes me care about my characters life no other game makes me care because I respawn in counter strike and have the same guns.

another good thing about dayz is the other players because most of them are bastards who kill but if you talk to them nice and say funny things sometimes they stop to be bastards and then you can be friends like the bandits who killed machete master but let me live and gave me a new torch, that was my best day in dayz because I played the night time and was scared, also I like the zombies

Edited by Shrub Rocketeer ™

I like it because it's the only game that gives you that big adrenaline kick when you finally see someone, knowing it could be life or death, it's the only game I know of where you spend hours trying to find someone and then shit yourself when you finally do.

Cos it was a breath of fresh air from all the copy pasta AAA titles getting shat out.

-snip-

I for one agree with you almost everyone in this game is an unsociable fucker they'll just kill you when you have your back turned and have literally nothing of value "for teh lulz"

What's so fun about that? Really dull way to play, KOS is boring and does not make you some skilled badass, what "skill" do you even need in this game anyway? Aim the dot at someone and spray 30 rounds with your M4 you've definitely killed them with your "skill"

I don't see why people can't act like they're a survivor in a survival game, KOS isn't survival it's treating the game like it's a war game, go play CoD, Battlefield or ARMA if that's what you want.

Not that KOS isn't legit sometimes, someone with a gun out looking nasty at an airfield it's dumb not to consider shooting them before they shoot you.

Which they probably would.

Anyway.

At this point I play the game(well, I haven't in a couple of months) just to annoy bandits, I either don't get geared up or get basic gear then just run in circles around them because you practically can't be shot.

Then when they do kill me I'll just keep going back with whatever weapons I find along the way and make sure they at least bleed because it's really funny inconveniencing assholes like that.

You want to sit on the Berenzino hospital and needlessly snipe fresh spawns? Well I'm just going to harass you then :D potentially rally up some more respawned victims and we'll all murder you.

Beyond that I like to explore and get geared up whenever there's an update I like to check out the new gear and features. There's not much else to do otherwise.

I see why people turn to PVP because there's nothing else to do but it's not like you need to play DayZ for PVP, it's not even good PVP.

For the last time: this is not about difficulty. If you attack me, I'll fight back and likely kill you in the process - I have a scoped AKM with lots of ammo too, you know. You keep acting like I'm whining that the game is too hard for me which it is not and I'm tired of repeating myself. I've played Quake 3 and even CoD for a very long time - I do not dislike PvP in general.

I'm not in the position to force anything on anyone. I just find it sad that so many people feel the need to be assholes for no other reason than personal entertainment and I wish this wasn't case.

You're complaining about PvP in general. You even go as far as assuming that we PvP just to be an assholes which shows that you don't have much idea what DayZ PvP is about.

It's a quite common thing on these forums, Almost every single person that dislikes PvP simply doesn't understand it and instead of trying to try it  they'd rather throw a bunch of insults at all the PvPers. For example:

almost everyone in this game is an unsociable fucker they'll just kill you when you have your back turned and have literally nothing of value "for teh lulz"

I for one agree with you almost everyone in this game is an unsociable fucker they'll just kill you when you have your back turned and have literally nothing of value "for teh lulz"

What's so fun about that? Really dull way to play, KOS is boring and does not make you some skilled badass, what "skill" do you even need in this game anyway? Aim the dot at someone and spray 30 rounds with your M4 you've definitely killed them with your "skill"

I don't see why people can't act like they're a survivor in a survival game, KOS isn't survival it's treating the game like it's a war game, go play CoD, Battlefield or ARMA if that's what you want.

Insults + "I don't understand it" part.

I give you a favor by killing you. You have the opportunity to think what you did wrong and not make the same mistake again, by this you beceome a better, more skilled player. If you fail to take a lesson from that you deserve to get killed over and over again.

• Like 2

nah..you dont get it..THEY survive..you dont...KOS will never go away and it never should vanish...

also:  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154460-so-kos-official-sa-kos-discussion-topic/page-88

• Like 1

I give you a favor by killing you. You have the opportunity to think what you did wrong and not make the same mistake again, by this you beceome a better, more skilled player. If you fail to take a lesson from that you deserve to get killed over and over again.

...no you don't

How does it help anyone when people are sitting in bushes miles away sniping? You can't at all tell you've been sniped you could have been shot in the back or by someone way on the horizon, nobody can be so skilled that they can canvas a whole area perfectly before going in it would take like half an hour to run round a town and check every spot where there might be a person camping.

So no laying on a hill and shooting people doesn't help anyone and it certainly doesn't make either person more skilled it just makes one more annoyed that people don't even try to have any interaction.

I don't see what you expect people to learn from being killed, most of the time you just get shot as soon as you go in a place or in the back it's not like you can watch a killcam and learn where your attacker was, stop trying to justify killing people for no reason.

KOS is only legit at airfields or when someone has a gun out and are going to see you. Sitting sniping people isn't legit, it's cowardly and what's even the point? Who would do that in a zombie apocalypse?

nah..you dont get it..THEY survive..you dont...KOS will never go away and it never should vanish...

also:  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154460-so-kos-official-sa-kos-discussion-topic/page-88

You must be new to the game and think people kill you because they need your stuff. No, they kill you just because.

How often have you been killed by someone who wasn't fully geared up?

Again trying to justify KOSers making the game a deathmatch.

If someone doesn't even have a gun why shoot them? I usually walk up to them and see if they have anything to trade, survival is banding together not killing everyone and taking their stuff if you were in this apocalypse how would you feel finding out you killed every last human? If you felt anything but that you're a complete retard you're wrong.

You must be new to the game and think people kill you because they need your stuff. No, they kill you just because.

How often have you been killed by someone who wasn't fully geared up?

Again trying to justify KOSers making the game a deathmatch.

If someone doesn't even have a gun why shoot them? I usually walk up to them and see if they have anything to trade, survival is banding together not killing everyone and taking their stuff if you were in this apocalypse how would you feel finding out you killed every last human? If you felt anything but that you're a complete retard you're wrong.

yeh..uhmmm...you are quick to judge arent you....*plus, you are too lazy, to read the previous posts..wich is kinda dissapointing..*

I bought the SA on the 23.12.2013...and have 400h up till now. I played realism shooters for the last 10 years almost.

If i CHOOSE to kill YOU just for Fun...you will die...I banded up with people and shot them after they made a racist remark.

I fucking axed someone we let live upon meeting him, because he ran around shouting "friendly" ( and dude..from his voice, he meant it ) .  His ingame name was "jesus" i guess he tried to be buddah..but couldent cope. *and he refused to wear a raincoat*

I killed because, while i was questioning the person,they revealed some shady plans

*example..i run with someone for over one hour allready...we get along fine..but iam suspicious..and ask them "so whats your deal on regular normaly...and he replied..."iam more of a bandit to be honest but NOT ON HARDCORE..sure thing buddy...i shot him...and i saved him from a freshy THREE fucking times beforehand*

...i killed because i wanted to piss someone off....so ye...whatever you say...

The link i posted is for you too...and just PRAY you wont meet me, because i can be really deceiving....

Iam not in the position to "justify" KOS

because,

i dont need to...

If you felt anything but that you're a complete retard you're wrong.

welp...i feel bad for people i kill after they "trusted" me. But fuck it...i gonna fuck their wifes too...

Go on be a "hero". If anything you should allready have grasped is that there is no black and white, but only shades of grey and flexible oportunistic morals in dayZ. And thats how IT FUCKING SHOULD BE. Thats the fucking damm core of this thing...

• Like 3

I'm not in the position to force anything on anyone. I just find it sad that so many people feel the need to be assholes for no other reason than personal entertainment and I wish this wasn't case. I see servers with names like "PvE only, High Loot!!! KOS=BAN" or "Friendly Server X, TALK FIRST" all the time and I'll never ever join them because that's not what I want from the game. I want variety in player interactions, I want a reason to feel uneasy while looting and I want it to be as hard and realistic as possible. If this includes people shooting at me to get my stuff or because they felt threatend so bet it. But that's not what I am criticizing.

A while ago, I was on the 2nd floor of a building when I saw a guy running towards the backdoor - I was aiming directly at him and would have had enough time to kill him if I wanted to. And I know he saw me too. I decided to camp wait at the stairs and kill him if he'd made a wrong move - but not without warning, even though he obviously knew I was up there.

So here's what happend next: I didn't see a thing and went unconscious w/o any warning. When I woke up, I was naked and all my stuff was lying piled up at the front of the house with a burning flare on top - he didn't take anything, not even the ammo. I was flabbergasted to say the least but then I quickly took all my stuff back and made a run for the woods. Then after 2 minutes or so, the goddamn French national anthem started playing VERY LOUDLY and it was the creepiest shit ever because I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and the recording sounded like it was taken from an old gramophone or something.

I started running to get "away" but there was no getting away. It kept playing until I traveled a considerable distance and just stopped abruptly at some point. This glorious motherfucker had somehow managed to hide an invisable radio in my backpack (it became visible after I had logged out and in again) and used it to freak me out!

This is why I play DayZ. (well, not exactly this, he was cheating after all - but it was all in good fun and nobody died for stupid reasons)

Well, Im open minded, so tell us what you want to see implemented too avoid KOS'ing? I you really have a solution, then tell us instead of whining about getting KOS'ed. Out of my 140 hour playing I have been KOS'ed 5-6 times, I don't see that as a big problem at all. In a real apocalypse, there would be phsycopats, serial killers, cannibals, rapists, nechrophiles and all sorts of scum that wouldn't ask if your friendly before they kill you and eat your corpse...When you get KOS'ed, just pretend that it was one of these kinds that killed you, very realistic if you ask me. And no, I never KOS myself but we need KOS'ers just as we need heros, bandits and naive mothefuckers. I want to have the fear of being sniped, and that I have too be on the edge all the time to avoid getting killed, just like I would fear anyone in a real apocalypse.

Edited by Kaboki

In my experience of the Mod, Stary & Novy Sobor were places where people would fight it out (at least in the hive I played), I get REALLY annoyed at KOS if I'm just in a random town and I get shot for the sake of it, but the posts I see on the forum generally tend to be from people who've been KOS'd at Berezino and at that point, I just think "It's your own fault, really". Avoid hotspots if you don't want to die, it isn't rocket science!

Cos it was a breath of fresh air from all the copy pasta AAA titles getting shat out.

Key word is was.

Not sure what is has turned to or is turning into.

(...) Almost every single person that dislikes PvP simply doesn't understand it (...)

What is there to understand? It's like saying every person that dislikes My Little Pony simply doesn't understand it. I'm getting weary replying to you because you're obviously dead set on making this about "skills" when it is clearly not.

Well, Im open minded, so tell us what you want to see implemented too avoid KOS'ing? I you really have a solution, then tell us instead of whining about getting KOS'ed. Out of my 140 hour playing I have been KOS'ed 5-6 times, I don't see that as a big problem at all. In a real apocalypse, there would be phsycopats, serial killers, cannibals, rapists, nechrophiles and all sorts of scum that wouldn't ask if your friendly before they kill you and eat your corpse...When you get KOS'ed, just pretend that it was one of these kinds that killed you, very realistic if you ask me. And no, I never KOS myself but we need KOS'ers just as we need heros, bandits and naive mothefuckers. I want to have the fear of being sniped, and that I have too be on the edge all the time to avoid getting killed, just like I would fear anyone in a real apocalypse.

There is no solution because some aspects of DayZ just attract the "wrong crowd" (kind of like motorcycles). Let me put it this way: if you wouldn't play it if there were no guns whatsoever, than maybe DayZ isn't really for you. And people who use the old "all sorts of killers would be rampant in a zombie apocalypse" argument severly overestimate the crazy people quota in any given population.

Chernarus is freakin' tiny compared to any real-life state or even city. You can cross the entire map in what, one hour? I haven't actually clocked it but it can't be much more than that (w/o stopping for anything). I mean, that's still huge compared to other games - but do you know how far I'd get in an hour if I had to travel cross-country by foot? About 10-15km, maybe even less if its particularly rough terrain. So, as far as post-apocalyptic worlds are concerned there's still quite a lot people around for an area this size.

According to science, psychopaths - or rather people with antisocial personality disorder - make up about 3% of the general population - that's less than 2 people for each 40 player server. But not every "psycho" is also a murderer and many of them would've been in aylums and prisons when the zeds took over which should result in an uneven spread of potential murderers. I know there's lots of stuff to factor in that I didn't mention, but it all boils down to this: there should not be enough crazies to have one of them on your particular server every time you're playing. If you want realism, that is.

But as I said before, games like DayZ don't attract the general population. Chernarus is like Mos Eisley spaceport - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I'm not whining about getting KOS'd - I've played for over 200 hours and haven't been KOS'd more than 5 times, and not just because I was lucky but because I've adopted a play style that fits the current situation. Like I've said in my other post, I'm not bad at the game, I'm just worried that it'll turn into just another military shooter and/or asshole-playground. People who actually enjoy survival games will be turned off and eventually abandon the game if their main cause of death is asshattery. But the KOS-I'm-a-hardcore-sniper-and/or-ax-murderer-lol types will only stop when they get bored because they don't care whom kill as long as there's enough players left to shoot at.

There might be no final solution of the KOS question but there are a few things I'd implement to keep it at bay. Since we don't know what the final game will look like and because I believe the team will abandon development long before it reaches the beta phase, I'll stick to the current experimental build. Most of the stuff I would do is fairly obvious: get rid of assault rifles, make ammo a lot scarcer and don't have a third person camera period. Other things might be a little less obvious: make movement more realistic - this means much slower sprinting and running (we're talking not even half the current speed here) but also faster transitions between postures (like the ability to jump into cover) and other actions. But there's really not much you can do without somehow forcing the player base to be a representative cross section of the general population (as opposed to a bunch of small subcultures).

Edited by DCpAradoX

There might be no final solution of the KOS question but there are a few things I'd implement to keep it at bay. Since we don't know what the final game will look like and because I believe the team will abandon development long before it reaches the beta phase, I'll stick to the current experimental build. Most of the stuff I would do is fairly obvious: get rid of assault rifles, make ammo a lot scarcer and don't have a third person camera period. Other things might be a little less obvious: make movement more realistic - this means much slower sprinting and running (we're talking not even half the current speed here) but also faster transitions between postures (like the ability to jump into cover) and other actions. But there's really not much you can do without somehow forcing the player base to be a representative cross section of the general population (as opposed to a bunch of small subcultures).

There was just as much KOS'ing in the mod so the 'communety' hasn't changed that much, so I don't see that it's get abandoned just because KOS'ing happens.....as long as there is guns in the game it will continue...

I agree that it would be better if KOS'ing was kept to a minimum, with a more realistic amount of killers that kill for pleasure, I just don't see it happen. You have some good suggestions, weapons are just to easy to get hold of and ammo should be alot scarcer and sure, Im all in for removing that redicilous 3rd person look(from an egoistic perpective because I prefer hardcore, but it lacks players so full servers are rare, especially at night:p).

And yes, add stamina so we can't run around the whole map sprinting all the time, but the speeds in the different modes I think are okay.

Getting rid of server hopping could also help reduce KOS'ing a tiny bit. But in the end KOS'ing Im afraid is here too stay for the unforseeable future and we just have to live with it. That's why I sometimes get frustrated just like you but I try too keep calm and just 'pretend' for myself that they belong too that 1 prosent of the population that kills for pleasure and that I just was unlucky to stumble upon such characters in my life as a survivor in the apocalypse:).

But all that said, I don't want the KOS'ing to vanish completely, I want that fear of being afraid to get sniped when I cross open fields, as long as it's kept to a minumum, but we can't control players, so it's up to everyone that plays on what style they prefer, sadly over 50% of players choose the KOS style...

There are offcourse other ways of getting rid of KOS and that is to set up 100% roleplay servers like in Arma life, where there are safezones and very strict set of rules against such behavior and good admins to enforce those rules and it works nice for Life, I just don't see it fit for dayz.

Edited by Kaboki

Yet ANOTHER person who believes that KOS is realistic! Children these days...

People running around murdering each other for the hell of it is so goddamned unrealistic, I laugh  whenever someone plays the "realism" card with regards to KOS. It is not, in any way, shape or form, conducive to real-life psychology, group dynamics, or interpersonal relations. Just admit that you get your jollies from pissing other people off, and half of the whiners would probably disappear.

Bear in mind that the entire human species has never seen a total collapse of society in the entirety of recorded history, going back to the goddamned Bronze Age. Never. Not Once. So you have no examples to draw on. As do I, but I can draw from other, related events and how the communities involved reacted.

In fact, as time has gone on, we have become more close-knit, more friendly, less violent, more helpful, just plain nicer to each other. How do you think communities formed in the first place, back in the dawn of history? How do you think that communities would form again, after the collapse of society? People helped each other out, working towards a common goal (survival). Many hands make for light work, and having someone to watch your back is a very comforting feeling. This is why I train survival classes in groups.

Which sounds more like Day Z, and which sounds more like "real life"?

-Two survivors come across each other in the middle of a town.

1) Survivors instantly draw weapons, start spraying rounds at each other due to horrible dispersion of firearms. One person gets shot and dies, other person trash-talks the deceased.

2) Survivors warily size each other up.

#1: Hey, man

#2: Hey

#2 Where are you headed?

#1: Anywhere away from here. There are some bandits back in the last town that kill anyone they find. I am trying to find a safe place for my family to move to.

#2: I have a family too! How often do the bandits come through?

#1: They last came through this morning, better watch yourself. Also, I saw you come out of the clinic. My son/wife/whatever has a bad infection on their leg, where there any antibiotics left?

#2: Yeah. In return for the information, I'll give you these. If you are looking for somewhere safer than the rest, head on up to -X-, they have a survivor community, with power, safe water, and they always need workers. Use my name and they'll let you in.

#1 : Thanks, I will. Stay Safe out there!

-Survivor community eventually forms a militia and pushes out/kills off the bandits-

KOS is inherently unrealistic. Do it for fun, whatever, but don't say it is realistic. I wrote a thread about this and other post-apocalypse topics (look up "Why the apocalypse would be better and worse than you think")

Here we go again. I'll keep it simple:

1. PvP requires a lot of skill whether you like it or not. 

2. For a 1000th time - reducing weapon spawns won't keep me from killing you. I'll use sticks and stones if there's nothing else left and you will die.

3. KoS unrealistic, it wouldn't happen in rl etc - we're talking about video game. I don't give a sh*t what would happen in rl.

If you want semi-realistic experience look for hardcore role playing servers and get bored to death.

Thank you, come again.

• Like 1

Why do I play DayZ? Why don't I play DayZ more??? I logged about, what is it, 330 hours on the game and then just stopped to play CS:GO and Arma 3... Mostly, the best thing in DayZ right now for me is sniping to support my team while they loot towns and trolling players in the game.