rotteck

Patch tomorrow ?

hi guys,

i think the patch was supposed to get out last wednesday, but the devs didnt do that, because of the massive rubberbanding that everyone (except me  ? lol :D ) is experiencing.

now do you think experimental will become stable tomorrow on wednesday ?

i dont really know but i hope so

if not, well, i guess we have to wait more.

but if im right, Q2 of this year Ends in 4 weeks, so we can expect the patch to be out at least at the end of june :)

(and after that comes Q3 with vehicles and barricades&stuff :D )

tell me what you think/hope :)

rotteck

edit: oh, and by the way, does anyone know if the first item-respawn system and/or random doors are already in experimental ?

Edited by rotteck

If they got it sorted out for tomorrow nothing would make me happier, but in all fairness i dont have much faith.

Tell me im wrong Devs :) please

• Like 3

hi guys,

i think the patch was supposed to get out last wednesday, but the devs didnt do that, because of the massive rubberbanding that everyone (except me  ? lol :D ) is experiencing.

now do you think experimental will become stable tomorrow on wednesday ?

i dont really know but i hope so

if not, well, i guess we have to wait more.

but if im right, Q2 of this year Ends in 4 weeks, so we can expect the patch to be out at least at the end of june :)

(and after that comes Q3 with vehicles and barricades&stuff :D )

tell me what you think/hope :)

rotteck

Well even though everyone is hyped for vehicles im not in the bit interested until they make the game hard in terms of the infected and making every day a survival challenge more than a death match. Cars will be just another nail in the coffin unless they get the other things nailed down first. Weather is still not hostile enough to call it a challenge even.

• Like 10

The patch will come at the end of the month. Just like with the previous patch. There is no need to be so naive and everytime think they will deliver and then wait till next week, then next week and the month passes and they bring us finally patch to stable. So git gud people, and hope for the June 25-28.

Edited by MaxRain

Well even though everyone is hyped for vehicles im not in the bit interested until they make the game hard in terms of the infected and making every day a survival challenge more than a death match. Cars will be just another nail in the coffin unless they get the other things nailed down first. Weather is still not hostile enough to call it a challenge even.

I think cars/vehicles will spice things up a bit.  Apart from the NW airfield, I never run into player inland.

Survival on its own isn't challenging if you're on a server that resets often.  It remains to be seen what loot respawning will do; if they stop restarting servers every hour then it could get interesting.  All this hunting stuff is great if you're into it, but I don't see it being required at all for survival.  Basically, once you've stuffed your gut after looting the nearest town, you just need a Pipsi every 20 minutes to stay in good shape.

• Like 1

I think cars/vehicles will spice things up a bit.  Apart from the NW airfield, I never run into player inland.

Survival on its own isn't challenging if you're on a server that resets often.  It remains to be seen what loot respawning will do; if they stop restarting servers every hour then it could get interesting.  All this hunting stuff is great if you're into it, but I don't see it being required at all for survival.  Basically, once you've stuffed your gut after looting the nearest town, you just need a Pipsi every 20 minutes to stay in good shape.

You shouldn't have so much access to food and drink

You shouldn't have so much access to food and drink

Yeah, I'm hoping the loot respawn will take care of that balance.

The patch will come at the end of the month. Just like with the previous patch.

There was no patch at the end of May. Except the 4.8 MB, that does not count. Plus they already wanted to release the current exp version.

Considering the rubber banding is still happening on experimental I can't imagine it'll be released to stable. Granted it seems to have reduced a little, but certainly it's still evident.

The biggest problem I have with experimental just now is the Session Lost / game crash issue. On a regular basis I am dropped from the game with no warning and shown a Session Lost error message (no red link, timeout icon/text is shown). Most of the time when this happens the game will either crash to the desktop (or crash without dropping to the desktop forcing you to alt/tab out of it) or it'll crash as you attempt to rejoin the server. On many of the occasions I find myself losing my character data, resulting in a fresh spawn. 

If the experimental goes live on stable and the Session Lost / game crash issue is still happening you're going to have an awful lot of unhappy bunnies.

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect vehicles or Barricades in Q3 in fact i have the strongest feeling that most everything presented in the road map has probably pushed back a ways, May was not a successfully updated month that means one content release dead line has been missed so far.

Considering the rubber banding is still happening on experimental I can't imagine it'll be released to stable. Granted it seems to have reduced a little, but certainly it's still evident.

The biggest problem I have with experimental just now is the Session Lost / game crash issue. On a regular basis I am dropped from the game with no warning and shown a Session Lost error message (no red link, timeout icon/text is shown). Most of the time when this happens the game will either crash to the desktop (or crash without dropping to the desktop forcing you to alt/tab out of it) or it'll crash as you attempt to rejoin the server. On many of the occasions I find myself losing my character data, resulting in a fresh spawn. 

If the experimental goes live on stable and the Session Lost / game crash issue is still happening you're going to have an awful lot of unhappy bunnies.

The Session lost-message on Exp is the server restarting. For some reason it behaves a bit differently than the how it does on stable, no yellow chain and countdown "No message recieved", just the sudden "Session lost". I've got crashes as well when leaving the game from exp, though.

And yeah, I would assume they would throw the rubberband fix version on exp for a bit before making it go stable, and thus tomorrow seems like an unlikely date for the stable update.

edit: oh, and by the way, does anyone know if the first item-respawn system and/or random doors are already in experimental ?

am I the only one thinking that "session lost" may be related to loot respawning?

whenever i get "session lost" seemingly every player near me (for example my friends in my squad) get booted off the server too.

most times though when i check the server afterwards it wasn't a restart, since there are still half of the players on the server. friends in teamspeak (at the opposite side of the map at that moment) confirmed to me that they were still playing and did not "loose any session"

after i get a "session lost" like this (me and nearby players kicked but not the whole server) i am able to find new loot whenever i spawn back in on that exact same server.

rocket spoke about respawning loot system being broken down to quadrants of the map. hence my theory:

whenever a quadrant reaches the timer to spawn new loot every player in this area is booted off the server, the rest of the players on other quadrants do not have any issues at the same time though.

btw: i am not saying i am right...this was just the explanation which seemed most understandable to me. and sorry if this has been discussed before, i didn't read any of it and i don't have the time to read every post.

any thoughts?

• Like 1

The Session lost-message on Exp is the server restarting.

I am not so sure. I have been kicked from a server with the Session Lost message and on the rare occasions that the game didn't crash I could go back into the sever browser and see the server I was just on still full of people. I've watched it for a minute or two after that to see if they finally dropped off but they didn't - in fact the number of people increased.

So while I am not definitively saying it's not a server restart, from observation it doesn't look like it. However...

am I the only one thinking that "session lost" may be related to loot respawning?

any thoughts?

..what Big L mentions certainly rings true for me in regard to getting back onto a server that has Session Lost and finding loot respawned. The problem is that the it's not just loot but also things like doors. So, for example, I get "kicked" I rejoin and the police station which had a door open the last time now has it shut. So in many ways it looks like server restart, but as mentioned above it doesn't look like everyone gets kicked.

Thoughts? "Bloody odd" that would be my thought. Either way it's not in a state to port over to Stable if that was to continue.

And yeah, I would assume they would throw the rubberband fix version on exp for a bit before making it go stable, and thus tomorrow seems like an unlikely date for the stable update.

From personal experience I would say it's lessened. I am not sure if the comments on the dev blog about pathing and the mismatch between the server and client was specifically meaning rubber banding (it certainly seems that way, but they stopped short of using the term which is a little odd as it's very much the best known phrase for the symptoms), but if it does then the way they were talking about it was a problem that could be resolved, rather than just lessened. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, and maybe the rubberbanding is as bad as it always was in this new patch just that I've learnt to avoid it better.

Either way you are right, it's not quite ready for stable yet. IMO anyway.

• Like 1

As much as I would welcome patch tomorrow, until rubber banding is fixed it is a no go.

For me, the game will feel like being good once zombies are fixed (it is close to happen), loot respawns (they can lower ammount of stuff you can find and make hunting viable) and finally client optimalisations, so that we do not drop below 30 FPS in cities.

Once above 3 things are in, I will personally consider standalone as having stable foundations and will enjoy the hell outta it.

Ofc it will still need tons of stuff added,guns tweaked, sounds remade etc, but still it will be good enough for me.

Edited by Hombre

i also ask myself: why did the devs didnt use the old item respawn system from the mod ? (i personally think it was good but) it may not be the best, but it would have been alright for the beginning, before they would be able to create a new one. at least that would have been better than no respawn system

i also ask myself: why did the devs didnt use the old item respawn system from the mod ? (i personally think it was good but) it may not be the best, but it would have been alright for the beginning, before they would be able to create a new one. at least that would have been better than no respawn system

The gutted the engine which most likely includes respawn.

...finally client optimalisations, so that we do not drop below 30 FPS in cities.

oh, you are lucky. i hope they optimize very fast, because i get about 30-40 in the wilderness, about 25 in small villagesand about 5-15 in citys.

(yep, if you catch me in a city, i am dead. (except you are a noob :D ) )

• Like 1

yup 100% agree i would be happy with no cars tbh, let alone helicopters there going to break the game so bad.

The patch will come at the end of the month. Just like with the previous patch. There is no need to be so naive and everytime think they will deliver and then wait till next week, then next week and the month passes and they bring us finally patch to stable. So git gud people, and hope for the June 25-28.

This guy sounds like a complete moron, lol.

• Like 3

There was no patch at the end of May. Except the 4.8 MB, that does not count. Plus they already wanted to release the current exp version.

I meant to say that patches to stable come a month after it is released on experimental. Also we all know that them "wanting" to release it has no meaning in reality to us, because if they did release the buggy exp to stable, they will have to revert it next day, so now they are more cautious.

dont forget they had to do a security patch that no one saw being needed. this took away from other aspects im sure, give them time hopefully they wont disappoint us.

Edited by pycco

i think the 4.8 mb patch from a few days ago was just made because it would help to fix the rubberbanding (somebody important, whose name i cant remember right now said that). maybe the rubberbaning issue is already/close to being fixed ? :D

Edited by rotteck

maybe the rubberbaning issue is already/close to being fixed ? :D

The rubber banding is not fixed. As I said in a previous post it does feel like it's been lessened but it's definitely not been fixed on the experimental branch as I write this.

Back onto the topic of the Session Lost and the game crashing, the more it happens the more I think it's related to loot respawn. Every time I rejoin after being "kicked" the loot is back and what has appeared is not necessarily the same stuff as before. For example I've gone to an untouched police station - no really they exist! - and just as I was about to pick up some loot I've lost the session. Upon rejoining the loot I was about to pick up is gone, although it tends to be replaced by other loot albeit perhaps in a slightly different position. The problem though seems to be that if you drop something (say a rifle for sake keeping) pop off to do a task and are on the way back to pick up your stashed gear and you lose your session, on rejoin your stashed gear is gone.

So I am still none the wiser whether the session lost is just the servers restarting, and it has to be a bug if they are as it's an almost constant thing (5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins, any random timespan between them), or if it's the respawning of loot the devs are working on.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 1

... and finally client optimalisations, so that we do not drop below 30 FPS in cities.

As much as it pains me I think this will be some time down the line. Which is a shame as even though I have a decent enough rig I still struggle to get any decent FPS. What makes it worse just now is where you spawn. Most of the time I tend to be up near Svetlo or the other new town I don't know the name of, and both of them are killers when it comes to frame rates.

The reason I think that client optimisation will be some time off is twofold; one of them is just down to sheer necessity of it. Currently it's Alpha and by implication that generally means those who are play testing it are going to be those who either have decent rigs already or know how to squeeze the most out of what they have. They can accept the situation and get on with it. In that sense the need to "fix" the client is negated, as it's all about getting the game framework right just now. There have been FPS improvements as we know, but that's probably more the case of them being discovered as the cobwebs are cleared out of the old engine. The second reason is that I am not sure if the client side rendering engine that is used just now will be the one the move from Alpha to Beta will be on. There has been quite a lot of chat that has gone on regarding the decoupling of the rendering engine and game logic. It's passed by without too much discussion (or at least not much that I have seen) yet I think that could be huge thing. A shift to a different rendering engine and a move, say, to Dx11 could see the game ramp up the client performance massively. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but the current rendering engine is a bit chunky and could certainly do with a bit of a lick of virtual paint. I presume the assets that are being created could be ported over to a different engine - although that is just a guess. Anyway, if, and it is an if, the engine is changed why would the devs spend time improving the client that they will (possibly) be throwing out?

Edited by ricp
  • Like 2