DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST DAYZ. IT IS A SOLID GAME, IT IS FUN, AND I ENJOY IT IMMENSELY. THIS IS JUST A DISCUISSION ON THE TERM "ALPHA" AND ITS APPLICATION TO GAMING. Caps for emphasis, you silly mods.

So, the whole "It's an alpha" argument has been played out like a bowl of candy at an obesity convention. I'm not saying DayZ is bad, but it's been in Alpha for quite a while. It is still fun, but I just don't get it.

What exactly is the definition of "Alpha"? I always thought an Alpha game was a game in its beginning stages. DayZ has been out so long, I hardly ever call it an alpha anymore. I mostly refer to it as a "WIP game".

A favorite Youtube series of mine, "Zero Punctuation" once discussed the terms of a game's Alpha condition. He stated something along the lines of "If a game is charged at full price, I will judge it at full price. Whether it is complete or not." I feel this is right. If DayZ is going to always be worth 30 bucks, it should be judged the same now as it will when it comes out of Alpha.

So, what do you guys think? Why is DayZ still referred to as an "Alpha"? How is the "ALPHA!!!!!!!" argument valid? I'd like to hear your opinions. In a civil matter, of course. I want to set the record as the first post discussing DayZ's alpha condition without being locked, graveyarded, or both.

EDIT- I see that people here would rather not discuss anything with any form of maturity. Oh well. At least I got a laugh at how stupidly ironic half the posts were.

Mods, lock pls. I hate it when threads degrade into flame wars because of a few 'tards.

I've lost faith in the forums. Can't handle a discussion, it seems. They'd rather rant, insult, and flame.

Edited by The Aquatic Land Walrus
  • Like 1

but it's been in Alpha for AGES.

5 months is ages now.  Goddamn you entitled people......  <_<

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware, DayZ will cost more down the line. I think we pay less for early access.

To me, an Alpha is a game where the base engine or the vast majority of core mechanics are incomplete. In the case of DayZ, it's both. In beta the core mechanics are expanded upon and the game engine is stable, and the final release, in theory, is stable and fully fleshed out.

As to how long DayZ will be in alpha... I hope to see beta within my lifetime. I think I'll need to invest heavily in cryogenics, though.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

"But I want an Oompa Loompa NOW Daddy!"

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST DAYZ. IT IS A SOLID GAME, IT IS FUN, AND I ENJOY IT IMMENSELY. THIS IS JUST A DISCUISSION ON THE TERM "ALPHA" AND ITS APPLICATION TO GAMING. Caps for emphasis, you silly mods.

So, the whole "It's an alpha" argument has been played out like a bowl of candy at an obesity convention. I'm not saying DayZ is bad, but it's been in Alpha for AGES. It is still fun, but I just don't get it.

What exactly is the definition of "Alpha"? I always thought an Alpha game was a game in its beginning stages. DayZ has been out so long, I hardly ever call it an alpha anymore. I mostly refer to it as a "WIP game".

A favorite Youtube series of mine, "Zero Punctuation" once discussed the terms of a game's Alpha condition. He stated something along the lines of "If a game is charged at full price, I will judge it at full price. Whether it is complete or not." I feel this is right. If DayZ is going to always be worth 30 bucks, it should be judged the same now as it will when it comes out of Alpha.

So, what do you guys think? Why is DayZ still referred to as an "Alpha"? How is the "ALPHA!!!!!!!" argument valid? I'd like to hear your opinions. In a civil matter, of course. I want to set the record as the first post discussing DayZ's alpha condition without being locked, graveyarded, or both.

With luv-

The Bringer of the Alpacalypse.

5 months is not ages, and its not a long time for a game to be in alpha stage. quit acting like a drama queen. if you dont like it being  alpha, go away and come back in january when the game should be in beta.

Don't quote me on this, but the end of year is the aim for beta.  Most likely will take a few months longer with the huge renderer change.

5 months is ages now.  Goddamn you entitled people......  <_<

"entitled"

lol'd

I've seen games that were in Alpha longer, but none of them were as money'd as DayZ. I hate it when people assume someone is "entitled" because they simply THOUGHT a game with Triple-A funding wouldn't be in permanent Alpha limbo.

Please, name one other game with this much funding that has been in Alpha for this long. I have no problem with DayZ's current state, btw. In case you forgot how to read.

5 months is not ages, and its not a long time for a game to be in alpha stage. quit acting like a drama queen. if you dont like it being  alpha, go away and come back in january when the game should be in beta.

Please come back when you can read the OP.

And then, please come back when you can learn to respect someone.

Alpha is the "Lets test shit out" stage in my opinion. Then Beta is the "Alright lets finish up dem main features and tighty up the loose logs" stage. Also, just like others have said...how in the world is 5 months, ages? Ages is like 100+ years.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

As far as I'm aware, DayZ will cost more down the line. I think we pay less for early access.

To me, an Alpha is a game where the base engine or the vast majority of core mechanics are incomplete. In the case of DayZ, it's both. In beta the core mechanics are expanded upon and the game engine is stable, and the final release, in theory, is stable and fully fleshed out.

As to how long DayZ will be in alpha... I hope to see beta within my lifetime. I think I'll need to invest heavily in cryogenics, though.

I agree entirely with this. I never knew the price would go up. Thanks for being the most mature of the forumers on this thread!

Alpha is the "Lets test shit out" stage in my opinion. Then Beta is the "Alright lets finish up dem main features and tighty up the loose logs" stage. ALso, just like others have said...how in the world is 5 months, ages? Ages is like 100+ years.

100+ years?

I mean from a game standpoint. I never knew there were video games back in 1914, though. I've been missing out.

I agree entirely with this. I never knew the price would go up. Thanks for being the most mature of the forumers on this thread!

So you still consider 5 months "ages"?

100+ years?

I mean from a game standpoint. I never knew there were video games back in 1914, though. I've been missing out.

Yea, man it was called Hide-N-Seek. 

hgzaa.png

• Like 1

There is nothing to discuss here.  This is a very thinly disguised rant about the length of the alpha.  Nice edit btw.

but it's been in Alpha for AGES

DayZ has been out so long

Why is DayZ still referred to as an "Alpha"? How is the "ALPHA!!!!!!!" argument valid?

• Like 1

There is nothing to discuss here.  This is a very thinly disguised rant about the length of the alpha.  Nice edit btw.

Heh, just noticed the change in OP now. And unsurprisingly the OP only replied to a post that partially agreed with him in his pessimistic outlook. Not to the rest that questioned his "alpha for ages" statement.

I'm not saying DayZ is bad, but it's been in Alpha for quite a while.

I stopped reading right there. I'd like you to go and take a quick look at the average development time for a game. A title maybe even less ambitious than DayZ? Anywhere from 3-4 years. See what you are used to seeing are the demos that companies put out, branded as "alpha tests" to get gamers all excited. They last a few weeks, maybe a month tops? Yeah, no that game didn't go from initial meetings and design discussion to beta in that month.

Edited by Hells High

Please come back when you can read the OP.

And then, please come back when you can learn to respect someone.

i read your whine post, and it deserves no respect. instead of crying on the forums you should take some time to read the posts from the developers then you would know the planned development schedule.

"entitled"

lol'd

I've seen games that were in Alpha longer, but none of them were as money'd as DayZ. I hate it when people assume someone is "entitled" because they simply THOUGHT a game with Triple-A funding wouldn't be in permanent Alpha limbo.

Please, name one other game with this much funding that has been in Alpha for this long. I have no problem with DayZ's current state, btw. In case you forgot how to read.

Yes 'cause two women can give birth to a child in 4,5 months.

Game development is not like digging.

"entitled"

lol'd

Money doesnt "fix" things in games, nor in real life - again how is 5-6 months permanent Alpha limbo?

• Like 1

I stopped reading right there. I'd like you to go and take a quick look at the average development time for a game. A title maybe even less ambitious than DayZ? Anywhere from 3-4 years. See what you are used to seeing are the demos that companies put out, branded as "alpha tests" to get gamers all excited. They last a few weeks, maybe a month tops? Yeah, no that game didn't go from initial meetings and design discussion to beta in that month.

It is even funnier if you read the original version of that sentence. He claimed it had been in alpha "for ages" before editing it. "Sense of entitlement" is entirely justified for that one.

• Like 2

"entitled"

lol'd

You're aware that triple-A funded games are usually in development for 2 years, right?

Thanks. Is there a problem with avoiding flame wars, and trying to get a mature discussion going rather than these kinds of posts?

Guess some just aren't mature enough to handle it. /sigh.