Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Experimental brings us hunting, do you want to know what this means?

Nah bro, food and clothing should be the number one commodities in cities (in my opinion). But I definitely support the establishment of "hunting servers" that could reduce the amount of food spawned in cities but make animals more common.

Lol.

Food would be the first thing taken from cities and towns. Canned goods lying around in every house does not make sense, as everyone would have taken them within a few months. Finding tins of food would be rare, very rare, and would require the luck to stumble upon a place untouched by looters...

• Like 4

I have to agree that there is too much food in the game, and adding hunting will add even more, but I also think there is a bigger problem:  people starve to death FAR TOO FAST!!!!

A healthy person can live for a month on water alone, and I'm not even using the longest cases as an example here.  It's ridiculous that I can starve to death in less than a day on this 'realistic survival' game.

Just saying that going from a full stomach to starving from 30 minutes of running is ridiculous.  Make food harder to find, but also implement a weight system so you lose weight before you die... heck, people could get all fat and funny looking if they ate too much, but we all know that shouldn't happen in the zombie apocalypse.

This is why they need to redo starvation.

They need to base the rate of starvation on two things-

What you are doing,

and how hydrated you are.

If you are running for your life 99% of the time, you should starve faster, and succumb to it quicker. You'll get malnourished faster, and you'll die faster. If you're walking, taking regular breaks, and staying in one place, you should last a lot longer, and shouldn't die as fast from starvation- In fact, it should take a lot time to die from starvation if you aren't doing anything at all.

If you are hydrated, you shouldn't die from starvation as normally as you would when you're thirsty. This means that if you're starving, you would do what you would in real life, which is find a source of water and keep hydrated. You'll become weak before you die of starvation, and those who are smart will hunker down near a stream while waiting for someone or an animal to pass by that may have the food they need. They could also hunt in the general vincinity, but if you start running for miles while you are malnourished and weak with hunger, you're just speeding up your death...

• Like 6

Being able to light fires without stones, [i keep getting that bloody wind put out the match message] would be key, once that is a thing, yes tone up the difficulty, even if it scares away the deathmatchers who spend all their time hovering around major loot spawns, this game needs to be about survival and zombies first, PvP combat, although crucial a close second

• Like 3

Different strokes for different folks... there should be servers that have low amounts of food and ammo, simulating a time years after the zombie apocalypse.

I support a new loot system that is more persistent so that loot didn't respawn so often- that is the real problem.

I am not into the 'we're out of food' thing, number one people grow food, and number two watching the movie The Road really disturbed me and I want this game to be different. 

Well the game is supposed to be like The Road. Right now it's even worse. At least food shortage would make it sensible to kill each other.

This is why they need to redo starvation.

They need to base the rate of starvation on two things-

What you are doing,

and how hydrated you are.

If you are running for your life 99% of the time, you should starve faster, and succumb to it quicker. You'll get malnourished faster, and you'll die faster. If you're walking, taking regular breaks, and staying in one place, you should last a lot longer, and shouldn't die as fast from starvation- In fact, it should take a lot time to die from starvation if you aren't doing anything at all.

If you are hydrated, you shouldn't die from starvation as normally as you would when you're thirsty. This means that if you're starving, you would do what you would in real life, which is find a source of water and keep hydrated. You'll become weak before you die of starvation, and those who are smart will hunker down near a stream while waiting for someone or an animal to pass by that may have the food they need. They could also hunt in the general vincinity, but if you start running for miles while you are malnourished and weak with hunger, you're just speeding up your death...

Nooooooooo! That would make camping in popular loot locations even more sensible. Just sitting around waiting for someone to come by.

I would be ok with this If 1: The time you can survive without food was doubled, and 2, Blood regen was just if you are not Hungry, not Wet, not Thirsty and not Moving. Maybe being in the shade would also help?

Now that hunting will be implemented, there will be close to unlimited food (if animals respawn).
We allready have unlimited water.. so please devs.. PLEASE
make the game more tense and immersive and reduce the foodspawns to a minimum
I miss namalsk, in the SA there is just sadly NO SURVIVAL at all
too much ammo ( what encourages PvP)
and ..yeah.. waay too much food .. 

Edited by dawud
  • Like 3

I don't understand how cans of food would be all that rare really, clearly any kind of evacuation in this place failed hence all the dead people running around.

Unless you just don't stock well look in your cupboards, how many cans of food are there? I guarantee there won't be just one most people have at least 10 and then say there's 60 houses in a town, 600 cans of food so I don't see why there should only be a couple it's unreasonable that everyone would have been able to pack everything in the panic.

This is one of the "realistic" aspects of the game...that isn't really.

I'm not saying that there should be tons of cans in each house as that would be too easy but toning it down to like 3 per town is ridiculous, especially since 64 bit servers are coming which means a lot more time before a server is reset, every town would just be looted for those 3 cans by like the 3 hour mark.

Talk about megalomania lol! 

So you think that everyone that have stocked up on cans just bought them and left them for you to find? No, its a living city/country with people who either died, fled or became a Zed. I totally agree on less food, guns and ammo... If you like shooting ppl you have a bunch of games to pick from. Real survival in a simulator? Not that many right?

And yes, I know this is a game, but the realism in this one have kept me playing, making it a more pvp oriented game would just make me bored. Sure, its fun at first...

So you think that everyone that have stocked up on cans just bought them and left them for you to find? No, its a living city/country with people who either died, fled or became a Zed. I totally agree on less food, guns and ammo... If you like shooting ppl you have a bunch of games to pick from. Real survival in a simulator? Not that many right?

And yes, I know this is a game, but the realism in this one have kept me playing, making it a more pvp oriented game would just make me bored. Sure, its fun at first...

No I think it's unrealistic that everyone in every house managed to take all the food they have, like did everyone in Chernaus have a moving truck ready to take their stuff? Most of the people in the place died, hence all the zombies so realistically most of the food would still be in cupboards, even just fairly useless shit like spices because who takes that in a panic.

What I'm saying is one can of food per town isn't actually realistic because no way would everyone have managed to take it all.

When did I even say anything about shooting people...? Not sure where you're getting that from.

DayZ is also not a game for everyone.

And yet I played it before the mod became popular and loved it the entire time. I don't think you understand how fun works.

Based on the number of zeds around most didn't get far or last long, so it doesn't make sense that most of the supplies would be used up. It would make sense for it to have moved, and be found either in vehicles that attempted to flee, or in whatever safe zones refugees would have attempted to create.

The number of cans right now is too high, based on the number of server resets. If the time between resets increases, and the amount of cans increases by a bit, then I think that would be ok, because then you do have food becoming scarce after a while, necessitating hunting.

And yet I played it before the mod became popular and loved it the entire time. I don't think you understand how fun works.

Did I specifically say the game is not for YOU? No, I said the game is not for every single person. Dean has even said this before. If a person has a problem with the scarcity of an item in game, let them cry about it. If Dean ever makes this game easier for the kiddies, he will lose his fanbase.

Did I specifically say the game is not for YOU? No, I said the game is not for every single person. Dean has even said this before. If a person has a problem with the scarcity of an item in game, let them cry about it. If Dean ever makes this game easier for the kiddies, he will lose his fanbase.

You didn't say anything very clearly.

How about this? Leave regular alone, and make hardcore harder. It'll satisfy people who only want a good time, and people who want it to be harder than titanium.

there's just one little problem: if you are starving you will die before your meat or fish will become Cooked on a campfire.. IMHO the cooking time must be reduced or at last, since it seems the cooking time depends on the quantity you put on, you must be able to cut the meat in smaller pieces so they can be cooked faster 

• Like 1

This will be a problem because there isn't enough food for a 40 man server in the NE area. They need to randomize the spawns over the map so every one gets a fair chance of surviving. This will also decrease PvP in NEAF and Berenzino.

• Like 1

I'm all for Canned Goods becoming Rarer, as long as when I Respawn into one of the new Spawn Point areas that just has mountains and rocks around for miles and all I have is a Flashlight - that they at least start you off with some basic supplies.

Heck WTF am I doing in the middle of no where with just a Flashlight?!?

If the Apocalypse has been going on for that long for everyone in the Cities to be dead/zombied and for there to be almost no supplies left in houses because they've already been scavenged to death then how I am still alive with only a Flashlight in hand?

I'm not saying I want a Map, Gun, Ammo, Clothing, Decent Melee Weapon and loadsa Food. All I want is maybe a Knife, Half Drunk Flask of Water and a Half used Box of Matches.

With this I can at least then forage for sticks, make a spear stick and try and hunt. Then make a fireplace by finding dry sticks, maybe some dry moss for tinder and use a match to light it to cook up some dinner - all hopefully before I starve to death.

Edited by Andy Red
  • Like 2

I'm moving this back to General.

If the Devs ever work out the dynamic loot spawning, including animals this could make things really interesting.

There would need to be a lot of other adjustments made as well, I mean, nobody goes unconscious after 3 hours from not eating (or do they) ?

I picked an apple the other day, I've got a stick and hook, a kitchen knife (very rare in HC Exp it seems) as said above berries (berrys) are now reasonably easy to collect, not worms tho,,,yuk !

I would like to see this working, canned food decreasing as time goes by or consumed per player count / server.

Wishful thinking perhaps but I live in hope :wacko:

• Like 1

This is how the game should be balanced on release:

- Canned food rarer but only found in cities/villages

- Zombies more dangerous and swarming in cities/villages

This way you have a decent risk vs reward system. 

As much as I want that to be the case.

If they do that, the pacth will last 2-3 days tops if they reduce food spawns

The Devs will have to revert back to infinite food spawns or risk drowning in the tears

but 3pp shitters already run around KOSing everyone while being constantly hungry, if not starving. I doubt anyone would even notice the reduce of food spawns. God, now even in TENTS alone you can get fully energized in 5 minutes, it has more beans and peaches than fricking ammo.

100 % this

i played 2 hours on the experimental servers tonight and my small backpack was filled with tons of food... :(  i stopped a player near the railroads in the ne and gave him some cereals because i had 2 pcs of it...

but damn...i cant find the right ammo on experimetal hc and reg. not a single bullet for my sks, believe me or not... it was a very cool experience for me because it was really the first time in 300 hours without a single bullet for my gun! :thumbsup: very impressiv and thrilling as i faced the other player.

balancing is the key but this will come in beta. its to early for a reaal balancing, there are so much new items are comming... we have just to wait B)

i like the exp. patch really

thx dean n team - it was fun tonight ;)

Sorry, i've been hoarding all the 7.62x39. AKM takes em' so I want em all.

I really believe that a certain amount of canned goods should be respawned on each server, each week. In addition to this, make it so that hunting is a real hard thing to do. Once zombie AI is rebuilt, add wild animals that can be hunted but will most probably try to hunt you down in the in-between, so imagine what a simple deer hunt could become, not only you would have to be lucky enough to capture your own meal, as you'd have to cope with other starving players and wild animals (who'd also need to feed themselves)

Edited by Snister101

When considering they're looking at increasing server populations to 100+ as the default, they'll probably need to add more food or have functioning loot respawning.

I'm moving this back to General.

If the Devs ever work out the dynamic loot spawning, including animals this could make things really interesting.

There would need to be a lot of other adjustments made as well, I mean, nobody goes unconscious after 3 hours from not eating (or do they) ?

I would like to see this working, canned food decreasing as time goes by or consumed per player count / server.

Wishful thinking perhaps but I live in hope :wacko:

I think they should just go ahead and make the days shorter instead of being real world days.

'Cause in a DayZ day you need to eat like 10 cans of food and drink a lot of fluids, nobody in real life needs that much two cans a day would be enough to survive.

It would be great if the days were even 12 hours long so that you could play through a night without having to waste your whole day on the computer, night time is so long that it's barely worth playing and if it was shorter more people would play it too.

It's that or they make food last realistically long which would make it way too easy a couple of cans would last you like 30 hours of game time.

Shorter days means the frequency in which you need to eat makes more sense so I think they should go for it.

Even an 8 hour day would be cool.

When considering they're looking at increasing server populations to 100+ as the default, they'll probably need to add more food or have functioning loot respawning.

Not really there's more than enough food for that currently you just have to explore to find it.

Plus hunting and fishing, they seem like unlimited food supplies that require some work, so I think it's pretty much fine now.

Its not incredibly hard to build a fire to cook the meat either (although cooking is a little wonky at the moment). If you look in the files, canned food is far superior to cooked meats, which leads me to believe they could become way more rare in the future.