r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.1

What would you like in terms of servers?  Two servers clustered for redundancy and HA or just a single box?

Most any scenario is easily achieved if we choose to run this in my VMware cloud or it could be run on bare metal as well.

Really just depends on the IOPS we need for the DB.

HA would naturally be a great option.

In terms of IOPS, I guess it would depend what type of hardware you've got available.  If there's an option for SSD's then it would be the best route--seeing as how much of a pig ArmA is, more IOPS = more happy survivors.  If not, I guess we'd be able to use any RAID setup you have handy.  We can fine tune this plan.

Cheers,

Jimmy

We would also need some sort of offsite DR in case the production has it's lights turn out (i.e. service provide goes out of business or the guy decides he doesn't want to host it anymore, dies or starts dating a stripper, etc...).

I don't know the full capabilities of MYSQL but can we cluster between two different locations?

We would also need some sort of offsite DR in case the production has it's lights turn out (i.e. service provide goes out of business or the guy decides he doesn't want to host it anymore, dies or starts dating a stripper, etc...).

I don't know the full capabilities of MYSQL but can we cluster between two different locations?

You'd be talking about remotely backing up one hell of a lot of data.  Not sure how large a DB with just a few servers accessing it would be, but the Official Hive is up to the tune of 200GB.  We wouldn't be anywhere near that size, but if the circumstances were such that it grew--I think it would become less and less feasible.

Cheers,

Jimmy

I was going to set up a public hive, but then I thought about it and not having the hive in my control is a bad idea with the possibility of down time etc.

I was going to set up a public hive, but then I thought about it and not having the hive in my control is a bad idea with the possibility of down time etc.

It's not really all that bad, to be honest.  The real obstacle is building a population and keeping it happy.  The former US3480 (before we moved IP's recently) had 37,552 unique players connect to it over time.  It takes a long time to build traffic, and if you offer a quality service and do your best to keep the server clean you can get there.  

I'm now working to rebuild 3480 to it's former glory, but I know I'm in for quite a long trip.

Cheers,

Jimmy

• Like 2

Yeah Jimmy, vanilla player base has shit the bed. Part of me thinks it's because of 1.8.1 patch. I mean who wants to play with full gun sway 24/7? I guess I'll use this time to take a long break from dayz. Hopefully US3480 will see some population after 1.8.2, but if not quitting might just be the only option. 

Yeah Jimmy, vanilla player base has shit the bed. Part of me thinks it's because of 1.8.1 patch. I mean who wants to play with full gun sway 24/7? I guess I'll use this time to take a long break from dayz. Hopefully US3480 will see some population after 1.8.2, but if not quitting might just be the only option. 

Huh... I have no real issue with gun sway, or hitting at distance, might be the server??

Yea 1.8.1 has a few issues, but overall I think it's a great patch, it has made the game a lot more unforgiving again, which was something it really needed.

The nutrition system needs a few tweaks, drains "Food/Water" too fast mainly. But I'm really enjoying this patch, and I do not have issues with gun sway.

Edited by Minibjorn

I mean who wants to play with full gun sway 24/7? I guess I'll use this time to take a long break from dayz. Hopefully US3480 will see some population after 1.8.2, but if not quitting might just be the only option. 

This is something related to exhaustion and is completely unintentional.  There's been know indication that they know what is causing it, but it was not put in as a feature.  As for the rest of the 1.8.1 changes, I'm personally loving it.  The game feels complete now.  Sad that this patch came when it did.  The game spy, DZC, and A2OA patch issues are all playing a part in wrecking server pop for DayZ mod.  I also blame the guys running 1,000,000+ everything fully militarized servers for choosing not to update to the latest DayZ or A2OA patches.  It's a clusterf*** that sadly came at the same time as the mod's best update.  :(

• Like 2

i don't know if you already know....

the new beta 125402 is using the steamID instead of PlayerUID, all new beta players will become a new character in the database 

just for info

Edited by n8m4re
  • Like 1

i don't know if you already know....

the new beta 125402 is using the steamID instead of PlayerUID, all new beta players will become a new character in the database 

just for info

This will certainly damage adoption of the new patch.

Most DayZ players forget rule #1:  Don't get attached to your gear.

• Like 1

The game spy, DZC, and A2OA patch issues are all playing a part in wrecking server pop for DayZ mod.  I also blame the guys running 1,000,000+ everything fully militarized servers for choosing not to update to the latest DayZ or A2OA patches.  It's a clusterf*** that sadly came at the same time as the mod's best update.   :(

This ^

:beans: Cheers,

Jimmy

• Like 1

This will certainly damage adoption of the new patch.

Most DayZ players forget rule #1:  Don't get attached to your gear.

Haha it's not the gear people are most attached to.  It's their -1 000 000 humanity they *cough* earned.  When I switched over to private while the hive was down most people complained about their humanity reset.  EPEEN all the way!

We've been blessed with another dev branch update for A2OA ... 1.63.125402

Not sure if there are any issues with this latest beta relative to 1.8.1 yet, or what versions are / are not compatible.  The last couple of weeks meddling have drained my will to investigate past my own setup.

I'm fast running out of public hive servers left to play on and Monday's anticipated GS shutdown will put paid to most of those still running.

Need to meddle with my 1.8.1 sandbox server again, as I can't join a game on it now it's running 125402.

Edited by RN_Max

Latest patch 125402 brakes the game/servers

Updated my test server (1.8.1) to the latest beta, works like a charm and even appears in Steam Browser so don't know what you are talking about.

It will however cause all existing characters on any kind of hive -private or public- to be useless as mentioned above. GameSpy should hurry the hell up and die already so people can move from Commander to Steam uniting the masses again.

Edited by EQQQQQ

Updated my test server (1.8.1) to the latest beta, works like a charm and even appears in Steam Browser so don't know what you are talking about.

It will however cause all existing characters on any kind of hive -private or public- to be useless as mentioned above. GameSpy should hurry the hell up and die already so people can move from Commander to Steam uniting the masses again.

So what versions are you running?

The newest beta gives a error that makes players unable to join, I'm not the only one getting this.

So what versions are you running?

The newest beta gives a error that makes players unable to join, I'm not the only one getting this.

DayZ: 1.8.1

Beta: 125402

I have not had time yet to do the steam update on my server and seeing all the problems with the latest beta patch makes me glad I have not updated yet.  I think I will stay on the 112555 beta patch.  If players want to continue using my server, they can direct connect to it until the steam patch issues are sorted out.

Having issues with dayz 1.8.1 with 125402.

Cant get into the server what so ever. I'm using the  same setup as it was with the old beta nothing changed.

I'm investigating why now. 

Edit

Never mind found my issues i had some launch parameters in steam (doh!)

Edited by TayTay

I´ll rather wait a couple of dayz... got a full server running at 1.8.1 / 1112555... I don#t want to piss people off.

saw that fr16 has moved over to the new one (125402). spent a few hours on there today and not seen any issues so far.

hell, im just happy that I can join.

thats one up on the last patch....

:thumbsup:

All we need now is a complete and clear guide to setting up 1.8.1 servers with the latest patch ... with all the info in one place.

I have no idea what has upset my previously working 124879 server just by updating to 125402 and got plenty bored with reading little bits of crap here and there, round and round in circles.

What is the big fecking deal with just telling us exactly what has changed in simple language and how to use the new features.  I swear coders have some form of induced autism from staring at ones and zeroes all day.

• Like 1