Sign in to follow this  
TheLoneSurvivior

Renderer?

What do they mean with changing or improving the renderer?

What change will we see if they improve of change the renderer?

It pretty much means the way the game is rendered, the way you will see the game. They said they will upgrade to DX10 or 11. Lighting will most likely be one of the things that will be updated with the new rendering system. Things like tesselation might also come.

image-reindeer-lapland-finland-717x600.j

"Oh, Im sorry.. I misread the title." 

• Like 11

dimage-reindeer-lapland-finland-717x600.j

Lmfao you just made my day.

Edited by TheLoneSurvivior
  • Like 1

Put simply, the renderer is the software that converts all the data in your game files to an actual image on your screen,

Dayz currently uses DX9 which is outdated nowadays, changing to newer renderers such as DX11 or OpenGL can allow greater detail and and more dynamic lighting (we could even see a day when flashlights dont shine through walls) and maybe even better performance.

From what Rocket has said it sounds like a huge time consuming job swapping the renderer so i doubt they would even bother if they weren't expecting some big improvements.

• Like 1

Put it in spoilers, your post, which I find amusing has been quoted twice already.

Have a thought for those on mobile devices.

• Like 1

Put simply, the renderer is the software that converts all the data in your game files to an actual image on your screen,

Dayz currently uses DX9 which is outdated nowadays, changing to newer renderers such as DX11 or OpenGL can allow greater detail and and more dynamic lighting (we could even see a day when flashlights dont shine through walls) and maybe even better performance.

From what Rocket has said it sounds like a huge time consuming job swapping the renderer so i doubt they would even bother if they weren't expecting some big improvements.

Thank you sir.

Put it in spoilers, your post, which I find amusing has been quoted twice already.

And how do i do such thing?

And how do i do such thing?

When posting or editing, 3rd icon from the left Special BBCode.

High light/select the text/image that you wish to hide, scroll down and

select spoiler from the list.

Google dx 9 v dx10/11 in image mode.

Edited by Hetstaine

Google dx 9 v dx10/11 in image mode.

I know what DirectX is, but i didnt understand what they meant with the renderer. But i do now.

• Like 1

i would prefer OpenGL over DX11.

maybe i could then run dayz natively on my "living-room-torrent-xbmc-Emulator-aracdaesimulator-fileserver-Linux-steam-machine"!

would be awesome if they port to Linux!!!

• Like 1

It pretty much means the way the game is rendered, the way you will see the game. They said they will upgrade to DX10 or 11. Lighting will most likely be one of the things that will be updated with the new rendering system. Things like tesselation might also come.

That didn't stop stop Planetside 2 to only use DX9, weirdly enough...

I firstly thought development would go kinda slow,

but now that someone mentioned they were working on new rendering...

i finally understand why

So Rocket wrote:

Graphics Optimization and the Renderer

Work has commenced on disconnecting the renderer directly from the simulation. This would then free us to change (or even replace) the renderer much easier, allowing greater optimization and new functionality such as better particle effects. We have no timeframe for this completion no any specific goals beyond preparing it for future goals, but it’s exciting for us to start this work.

It appears that the version of the Real Virtuality engine used by SA has a rendering system that is tightly coupled (i.e. integrated) with the other "simulation" components. If this rendering engine is decoupled from the other components it would allow for easy implementation of another/multple graphics APIs like OpenGL or DirectX. The graphics API (i.e. DX9/11) is just a software component that allows the rendering engine/system to communicate with the graphics hardware.
  • Like 1

What do they mean with changing or improving the renderer?

What change will we see if they improve of change the renderer?

current renderer:

rqSLUok.jpg

future renderer:

PWzHNDd.jpg?1

I can see now how to do that (in other posts above) so now I actually can hide images in spoilers.

:)

Edited by lrish

I would have thought it would be dx11.

We may even get better lighting and shadows, certainly more efficient shadows with dx11.

I think at times dayz can look really nice, then other times when it looks like a dx8 game, I think that's mainly down to lighting and the use of textures, lack of things like bump mapping etc.

Edited by Ben_uk