I've recently found myself in a town somewhere southeast of NWAF. There's a piano house literally right next to a supermarket, and the settlement seems kind of small. It doesn't seem to have an office building. Is it Polana? Stary Sobor, maybe?

Well, I don't know. Stary Sobor seems like it'd be a larger settlement. In the mod, it had several industrial buildings, and it was a generally large place overall. Unless it's been revamped in the SA, I'm tempted to think I'm in Polana. It's the only apparent place southeast of NWAF that has a supermarket, unless the online map is outdated.

I'm mainly just curious as to whether anyone knows which exact settlement I'm in, since no other place I've found has a piano house and a supermarket literally a few dozen feet from one another.

Sure would be nice if the game's settlements featured more signposts.

Edited by Ransurian

Well, I don't know. Stary Sobor seems like it'd be a larger settlement. In the mod, it had several industrial buildings, and it was a generally large place overall. Unless it's been revamped in the SA, I'm tempted to think I'm in Polana. It's the only apparent place southeast of NWAF that has a supermarket, unless the online map is outdated.

I'm mainly just curious as to whether anyone knows which exact settlement I'm in, since no other place I've found has a piano house and a supermarket literally a few dozen feet from one another.

Sure would be nice if the game's settlements featured more signposts.

Go over the east hill from the supermarket i.e. out the back door and up the hill infront of you, if you see the factory then your are in Polana.

Why don't you just run to any main road coming into the town and read the road sign? Almost all towns have the name on a sign.

• Like 1

I know not everyone likes to use it, but I prefer to use this map (I open it in my in-game STEAM browser): http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

I wouldn't exactly trust the item spawn icons so much; I'm not sure how up-to-date the map is with the current state of the game. But it definitely helps you identify locations, especially if you find a sign like CANUCKinNZ suggested, because the map has the names translated as well as in the original Cyrillic. This plus a compass and you can find your way pretty much anywhere. I just wish the map had elevations.  <_<

Polana is a *long* hike from NWAF. If you're not 100% of your orientation (compass equipped) you may have headed south from the NWAF and ended up in Vybor. Often when heading South from NWAF to Vybor I get disorientated and end up at Lopatino. If there is a water tower you are in Stary. Stary is not a very big settlement, but as my fellow Canadian out in the middle of the Pacific mentions, check for a road sign. DayzDb's maps give both English and Cyrillic spellings.

a picture would help. 

also 1111:th post, this needs a celebration

Bbt_celebration-gif_medium.gif

Found out that I was in Polana after adhering to Mancomb's advice. Thanks -- I didn't realize DayZDB's map featured translations.

That map is missing some cities and major places (AFs etc.)

It appears to have the airfields, or at least the 3 major ones (NEAF, NWAF, and Balota); they're just a bit hard to see on the map, especially the NEAF and Balota, since the actual strips are smaller and blend in quite well. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what it's missing.

Found out that I was in Polana after adhering to Mancomb's advice. Thanks -- I didn't realize DayZDB's map featured translations.

Not a problem; I learned to trust that map after using it to orientate myself on numerous occasions. It definitely comes in handy. Eventually, you'll probably be able to tell where you are based solely on landmarks, or at least be able to tell what a sign says without having to translate it.

I was hopelessly lost once despite having a compass, a map and a friggin' castle ruin to go by. I was on top of the castle tower, looking around for familiar sights to doublecheck them with the map... I couldn't find a damn thing. Hell I didn't even know WHICH castle ruin it was that I was in. Mountains and valleys everywhere. From where I came I assumed I could be somewhere near the NWAF. Turns out, I was closer to Chernogorsk than anywhere else, on the ruin near Vishnoye and Mogilevka... I had no clue how I got there... My navigation skills suck xD

It appears to have the airfields, or at least the 3 major ones (NEAF, NWAF, and Balota); they're just a bit hard to see on the map, especially the NEAF and Balota, since the actual strips are smaller and blend in quite well. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what it's missing.

It's missing Svetlo and that other new town north of Krasno, not sure what it's name is. But it is a nice map, I'll definitely be using it.

Edited by Eadaif