blacklabel79

how do YOU use the...

Ladies and Gentleman, fellow survivors, Stalkers, Trolls, Bambi-Highway-Patrol, millgear-fetishists,

How do YOU use the crossbow ?

...i know you say its a POS and to be honest i left it when i found one. BUT recently with all the People Camping around berezino and whatnot i was wondering if that Thing might be usefull if one is the Patient type.

So why whould i want to try ? Because i like varity. Iam sporting a crafted backpack and a crossbow and it gives alot better survivor feel than a pimped out M4, PLUS...who robbs you for a "shitty" crossbow ?

I ask this because yesterday i found one and soon after 20 bolts neatly stacked in some Shops. I have read that one could attach the ACOG to it. Is that still valid ?

Does anyone have experience on how to properly use this Thing ? I ofc need a sidearm for added protection due to the Long reloads ect....do the bolts allway vanish ? How much time to i have to retrive bolts ?

If so Please share.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

...i know you say its a POS

As it should be.

Medieval technology is downright crap compared to modern bullets and firearms.

• Like 1

Of course and yes i should have added a disclaimer that sais..."yes if you think ist POS please dont reply" 

I know this Thing has drawbacks but there must be SOME use to it.

Since i HOPE the game moves away from the "hurr durr m4 pewpewpew" anytime in the future, id like to get propperly acquinted to the alternative options presented right now.

I was thinking about switching to crossbow, but there are two reasons I won't do it JUST NOW:

1) Hard time finding bolts and quivers

2) Not able to take out bolts from bodies

• Like 6

2) Not able to take out bolts from bodies

Allright now that is a HUGE drawback. But what about the General handling ? I mean i have 20 Bolts and really want to use them...guess i have to make another balota run to test it out on range with the ACOG.

I'm led to believe that the reloading time needs looking at.

Don't quote me on that.

I'm led to believe that the reloading time needs looking at.

Don't quote me on that.

...quoted...i was wondering if there could be an attachment to reduce reload times ? ( think medival speedloader ??? ) Is that even realistic ? *anyone with some insight on IRL crossbows, whould be welcome*

What? 

Crossbows are meant to have a long reload time. If they are balanced properly, long reload won't be an issue.

What I mean by proper balance:

• Clear cut ironsights - none of that nonsense that was in the mod
  • Ability to craft bolts from wood + scrap metal (probably need a toolbox on top of it)
  • Allow us to retrieve bolts
  • Rare bolts - i.e Aluminium should be lootable and be much more durable than crafted. 
  • Long reload time
  • Silent kills (obviously)
  • Like 1

...quoted...i was wondering if there could be an attachment to reduce reload times ? ( think medival speedloader ??? ) Is that even realistic ? *anyone with some insight on IRL crossbows, whould be welcome*

Several tools exist to make putting the string on tention easier, but not faster since those tools aren't attachments and have to be set in place then put away befor loading the bolt and then being able to shoot.

The main reason i don't use the Crossbow is because of the ammo

it is unbelievably hard to find, crossbow bolts lying on the floor are very hard to see for me

if we could craft wooden bolts... that would be a whole other story

still, the damage output combined with the fire rate is not worth it IMO

and last time i used it, every sight except for iron sights had some zeroing issues

As it should be.

Medieval technology is downright crap compared to modern bullets and firearms.

Wow - I see you got History sussed out then ! Did you research it or did it just come to you ?

One question - where do modern crossbows fit into this 'medieval technology' ?

I'm NOT saying a crossbow will win against an M4 in a street gunfight (the bullet could deliver 200x more energy than the bolt, we know, there's a thread on it)  but if you ever see in RL a guy ready to fire a modern crossbow or a modern compound bow, really DONT stand in front of it. Check the web and "crossbow wounds/crossbow injuries"

BlackLable is looking for info from people who have used it in game

[edit] I think when we have STEALTH around zombies in the game, the crossbow could be very useful. I've heard at the moment the zombies react to a crossbow as though it is gunfire, which - if it's true - is stupid.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

mhh i see.

So People dont use it becasue the reload is too Long and Targets useally move too much ? I whould just camp somewhere and shoot the 20 arrows and see what might happen...Also, arrows take only ONE Slot like normal ammo wich is nice.

i crafted a bow the other day, and tried using it on a zed or two. I wasn't able to kill them, and ended up using my pistol instead. i see no reason to have a crossbow if it blocks you from carrying a rifle. the utility of the xbow is just too little.

Iam planning on having a Revolver as backup....

Anways...anyone know what attachments work ? All the m4 optics or only the acog ?

Yeah comparing medieval crossbows to M4's, like they're as powerful as modern crossbows is retarded.

They might not look much different but the technology has evolved greatly, in a survival situation a crossbow would be damn fatal, no bandage and morphine would just fix it.

As for I how I use it, not had the chance to use it on a person yet I usually find the bow and no bolts or bolts and no bow, then when I find the thing I needed...I've already found an SKS or Mosin with nearby ammo anyway so the bow is long gone.

I wish SKS's etc were MUCH rarer and bows were more common so people would have to use them and actually have some skill instead of just getting an SKS and spamming the shoot button until you're dead, with no real need to aim.

I picked up a crossbow, carried it in my hands for a while and actually had fun with it.  Just fine for killing zombies but as others have said, not enough ammo as well as ammo taking up so much space in your inventory compared to other primary weapons as well as the long reload times simply makes it very rough to use as a primary weapon.

Yeah comparing medieval crossbows to M4's, like they're as powerful as modern crossbows is retarded.

They might not look much different but the technology has evolved greatly, in a survival situation a crossbow would be damn fatal, no bandage and morphine would just fix it.

As for I how I use it, not had the chance to use it on a person yet I usually find the bow and no bolts or bolts and no bow, then when I find the thing I needed...I've already found an SKS or Mosin with nearby ammo anyway so the bow is long gone.

I wish SKS's etc were MUCH rarer and bows were more common so people would have to use them and actually have some skill instead of just getting an SKS and spamming the shoot button until you're dead, with no real need to aim.

I kinda have the feeling that a crossbow bolt is less fatal than a bullet, far less. We do have firearms instead of bows for a reason.

I kinda have the feeling that a crossbow bolt is less fatal than a bullet, far less. We do have firearms instead of bows for a reason.

First something being less fatal sounds odd, it either is or isn't fatal.  Second obviously modern day weapons fire faster and farther with more stopping power then a crossbow.  With that said a quality crossbow will kill you just as dead as a modern day firearm. In a firefight you'd want the firearm obviously, if you get the drop on someone and want to be stealthy the crossbow would be perfect.  It's a very situational weapon.

• Like 1

I think that once we can craft crossbow arrows (bolts?) , then the xbow becomes suddenly a good weapon!

Also, surely, once majority of loot is introduced, there will be item rarity rebalancing and you will have greater chance to find a xbow rather then pimped out M4.

I ask this because yesterday i found one and soon after 20 bolts neatly stacked in some Shops. I have read that one could attach the ACOG to it. Is that still valid ?

I'm glad some players are considering using the crossbow! Next patch the bow will be usable, so we could have proper Robin Hood gangs roaming around :-D.

Bow should surely have quicker "fire rate" then crossbow, so maybe that will become weapon of choice for pure survivalist and stealthy types.

All in all, crossbow & Bow will never become weapon of choice for your usual coastal KOS M4 spamming n00b. Carefull players might appreciate it though.

We just need craftable arrows and balancing in a way of loot rarity (which is not possible atm).

edit: regarding crossbow attachments, I've read, that only those special iron sights from M4 works. Acog is not properly alligned, not sure about red dot.

Edited by Hombre

I the the bow has a place, just like a combat knife.

Cross-bows are gernerally deigned to hurl bolts (Beefier arrows) with higher power over somehat short distances.

The shoudl do powerful damage as a result and be nearly silent while doing it. great for stealthy Zed or player take downs.

Hello.

Like someone is saying here, the crossbow delivers less damage than a M4 of any kind, but if you look at the damages a crossbow does vs a M4, i would not be so sure about which one is the worst to be hit with.

for example, a bulletproof vest can stop 1-2 bullets at a given range, lets say 25 meters in this case, but a crossbow would go straight through the vest, and the man using it.

this is in reality of course, and in a gun fight i would use a M4 over a crossbow any day, but if we look at the damage the different weapons does, the crossbow is pretty high on the list.

imagine a bullet go through you, with a 5,56 mm hole through your body and a effective 10cm in diameter harm-range through. Then image a bolt with atleast 10mm make a hole through you, but not as huge harm-range as the 5.56. What would be worse? Of course the shock and energy of a bullet will be higher, but im not so sure the damage in itself would be greater than a bolt.

Some of you guys seem doubtful about the damage of a crossbow, but check YouTube before qouting anything ive just said.

thanks.

snip! Next patch the bow will be usable, so we could have proper Robin Hood gangs roaming around :-D.

I'm pretty sure you can do the bow now. I found a long ashwood stick or something, and crafted the bow with rope. This was two weeks ago. I hated the sequence for trying to use the bow. Then again, my memory is crappy, and maybe it was craftable but not useable.

-snip-

A bulletproof vest worn by police, etc will most definitely NOT stop 5.56mm rounds.

Hell, the hard ceramic plates used in modern combat armor can only really stop 1 or 2 rounds.

Edited, so people won't get the wrong idea.

Edited by Whyherro123

Retrieving bolts would help. I'd see it as a good hunting weapon and good for taking out zombies silently as to not be as obvious as a gun or bait the zombie in to kill with a melee and risk getting hit or attracting more attention. I've not used it myself but it seems like it can have a role provided you can retrieve bolts, but also have a mechanic where you have a chance to lose the bolt, say if you miss and it hits something hard.

And why has this turned into a gun vs crossbow thread?